[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 231 KB, 960x640, artschul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1865843 No.1865843 [Reply] [Original]

People who went to art school, what was your experience with it?
Are the stereotypes true? Did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently? Would you recommend it?

>> No.1865846

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3SI2DBcOcw

>> No.1865858

I'm going to switch to a cheap art school because I started studying but ended up hating it. I don't think my parents would accept me wanting to live at home and self-study for years, so art school works as an excuse for that.

That said, from my experience with /ic/ art school threads; I'd say that art schools won't teach you a lot unless they're in the top 5 art schools in the country. Most of them are too traditional and the teachers are artists who failed.
What matters in art school is what you do and study on your own outside of the school.

>> No.1865863

Ive been going to art school for 2 years. 1st year I was studying fine art, I didn't improve at all it was all contemporary bullshit and nobody taught you anything. 2nd year I switched to illustration and I'm so glad I did. All the bad stereotypes are true for fine art subjects, avoid them like the plague. Pick a visual communication subject like animation, illustration or graphic design to get a decent education and the chance of getting a job at the end of it.

>> No.1865867

>>1865843
If you're right out of highschool and want to waste a couple of years then go for it. Personally I dropped out because they were bleeding me money, I was learning nothing, and I didn't even have free time to study on my own.

>> No.1865877

>>1865843

Went to art school, still like to draw anime.

Glad to have my own style now though.

>>1865863

This. Even if you don't manage to go Pro (I burned out, personally), you'll get a larger variety of skills and methodology to work with.

>> No.1865882

>>1865877
How do you burn out from art school?

>> No.1865887

>>1865882
you can burn out doing anything

>> No.1865888

>>1865843
I do believe that there's a difference between getting advice once in a while from strangers on the internet and getting advice from professionals for every step you make on your drawing. But that's just my opinion.
And there are terrible teachers.

>> No.1865890

>>1865843
>Are the stereotypes true?
Sometimes. I've actually only seen two of the "I only want to draw anime" type. One of them was a total shithead, I think he dropped out(which wouldn't surprise me, given his attitude of blaming everything on people other than himself). But most people have been fun and not shitheads.
>Did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently?
Yes.
>Would you recommend it?
Maybe? I mean, I'm going to community college and a grant covers all my costs except gas. So if you aren't going to be tens of thousands in dollars in debt, I'd say go for it.
>>1865882
Not actually that hard, especially if you have a job/life outside of school.

>> No.1865894

Depends on the kind of art school you are in. I am at a very good one, not only doing art but also programming and animation in the first year with lessons about how to get a good atittude in the industry as well. Like in second year you specify which way you want to go ( digital 2d, 3d, traditional, animation) and such. Lotsa hard work but with good teachers and really worth the money already. I'm in first year now

>> No.1865913

It depends. There's probably no general answer, but my experience is terrible. Both my high school and college teachers were really bad and knew less about art than I do. That's usually why people become teachers, because they couldn't become successful artists. That's at least how it is in my country.
Also, if you want to be a digital artist, don't study traditional art, especially not fine art.

>> No.1865928

>>1865894

Sounds like "Games Academy"?

>> No.1865937

I live in sweden, so im lucky enough to have acess to free education. I vent to "high school level" art school for 2 years. 3 out of 5 days were filled with "own work" time witch was perfect for me since I could spend The time with painting still lifes, personal illustrations, self portraits and such. Art school bscly becomes what you make of it imo. If it's too slow, then just pick up the pace by yourself!

>> No.1865943

>>1865937
> If it's too slow, then just pick up the pace by yourself!

What do you mean to say by that? I'm going to a shitty art school and it's extremely boring drawing and painting cubes 6 hours a day, when I could be spending that time on learning something I don't know yet.

>> No.1865946

>>1865943
I think he means that if you have nothing to work with, make something to work with.
Also don't diss the cubes. Even pros need to keep their fundamentals in check.

>> No.1865948

>>1865937
General art schools in Sweden cost money though. I wanted to go abroad until I found that 3 years in Sweden costs as much as one semester in America.

>> No.1865950

>>1865863
>1st year I was studying fine art, I didn't improve at all it was all contemporary bullshit and nobody taught you anything
you're supposed to teach and motivate yourself, dumbass. that's how fine art courses work.

>> No.1865952

>>1865950
I don't need to pay thousands of pounds to teach myself.

>> No.1865955

>>1865928
The part I'm going to is for games but I have a friend going literature and she learns a lot about art and techniques as well and how to go into business.

>> No.1865958

>>1865843
you get out what you put in

>> No.1865961

>>1865943
cubes and boxus <3

>> No.1865962

this should be all you need
if you cant into work ethics then go in college maybe
(i dont have it either)

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9

>> No.1866084

>>1865952
that's fine, but a course isn't automatically bullshit just because you picked the wrong one to suit you

>>1865962
bear in mind that the author of this went to art school twice and then wrote this http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/2011/7-things-i-loved-about-art-school/

sure, he might be right(or he might not), but it's easy to talk tough with a degree safely pocketed

>> No.1866094

>>1865843
yes. having someone to hold me accountable if i produced bad work or comfort-zone work or no work whatsoever seriously helped me do a lot more art and explore many more artistic avenues than i would have otherwise

bad art school is worse than none in my experience.

>> No.1866122

>>1865843
yes, all of them.
> Did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently?
Nope, as impossible as it might sound, /ic/ and neeting helped me more.
>Would you recommend it?
Not at all, unless it's FZD, CGMA, watts atelier or you know, any other shool out there that's actually worth the investment.
Don't enroll to a school just because "muh schedule" or "muh social relations", all the work and improvement is still entirely up to you, so better bolt down and study now that is free than having a shit debt and not having learned anything.

>> No.1866169

Went to a four-year art school but dropped out after sophomore year because my mental illness (along with shitty high school art education) interfered with meeting deadlines--foundation year I slid by with handing shit in late/incomplete but I did not survive the following year when I started the illustration program. If I had stayed though it would have taken me five or six years to finish and I would now be even further in debt. I am still in college studying art but instead in a two year program at comedy college majoring in graphic design. This will be my sixth year in college. It is extremely unlikely I will get a full-time job with this degree or my portfolio. Please kill me.

Anywhosits, I did learn a great deal from art school, probably faster than if I were to do it on my own. But I'm learning hardly anything from the community college graphic design program (who would have thought!). As for stereotypes: lot of the slackers, hipsters, aspies and unskilled weeaboos/otaku got weeded out after foundation year and by the second year we were left with the serious, hard working ones. Well, the hipsters were probably still around but went off to major in either fine arts or photography so I never saw them. As for me, I would have stayed and finished if my brain wasn't so fucked up. Hilariously enough, the medication I was on at the time was actually making things WORSE.

My experience is one big clusterfuck for unusual reasons though so I don't know if my story counts. I really don't know if I'd recommend art school--seems like most employers want at least a bachelors degree in addition to a stellar portfolio, but college in America is virtually extortion for many majors/careers... Tough call.

>> No.1866205

>>1866169
>seems like most employers want at least a bachelors degree in addition to a stellar portfolio

no they fucking don't, what the fuck is an art degree to employers

>> No.1866206

>>1866169
I'm curious what mental illness do you have? I've been struggling with depression and it's making me want to quit too.

>> No.1866213

>>1866205
Yeah the only time that not having a degree has affected me was when I needed a work visa to enter the US and couldn't get it. Otherwise no employer has ever cared. Not sure what that anon is talking about.

>> No.1866234

>>1866213
>>1866205
in the art school they tell you that you need a degree
and it's true for graphic design, when i was looking for work they required a bachelor degree, but on top of that they also wanted working experience (i had the degree, but never got any job)

>> No.1866241

>>1866205
A bachelors degree is required for a lot of high end, in-house jobs. This especially applies to graphic design jobs.

A degree says more about you than you might think.

>> No.1866256

>>1866206
Anxiety, some kind of mood disorder that doctors can't pinpoint (which is why no meds seem to work) and, drumroll please... borderline personality disorder.

>>1866234
>>1866241
This. Perhaps in graphic design it is only important--maybe in illustration it isn't. Having a BFA also probably says to employers that you're committed and you can get shit done because if you got all your assignments done in a academic setting, you'll probably do it in a professional one. But who knows.

>> No.1866266

>>1866234
When applying for jobs, any kind, it's a good to remember that the employers often list all kinds of things they "require", that doesn't mean they couldn't yield on some of them if they happen to like you.

Happened to me once that I applied to a job that strictly speaking I wasn't qualified for but they liked me and my portfolio so they gave me a more junior position instead

>> No.1866267

>>1866241
>>1866256
Yeah 'high end, in-house' my balls, whatever that means.

>Having a BFA also probably says to employers that you're committed and you can get shit done because if you got all your assignments done in a academic setting, you'll probably do it in a professional one.
Wtf? That's a load of horse shit, you need a shitty art degree to work? What if you couldn't afford it and instead lived off a part time job while creating portfolio work?

>> No.1866272

>>1865843
It's not my first year in college, but it is my first semester in an illustration program at an art school.

I'm actually enjoying my classes so far. Even though it's obvious the school just wants your money like any other (or I guess the government's), the profs seem to care and as far as I can tell they know what they're talking about. I've also learned about some interesting artists that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. I'm still in the basic foundations classes of course, but they really stress that you need to get this foundational stuff down.

>> No.1866273

>>1866266
they probably liked you cause you're a grill.

>> No.1866278

>>1866267
I barely understand how this industry works despite being in college forever, so I'm making my best guesses here. But in a lot of other industries, yes, they want degrees. A piece of paper that says you spent a ridiculous amount of money and time to train for a particular career is what a lot of jobs look for. Taking my mom for example: she wants to work in early childhood education. She gets paid shit with only a CDA (some kind of low-level certificate) and shitton of years of experience (mostly volunteer, but still). She won't get paid more until she earns an associates. Now does this same bullshit apply to communication arts? I'm not entirely sure, so please don't jump down my throat.

I forgot to add two more potential benefits to going to art school: portfolio building and networking. Now yes, you CAN do these on your own, but if you're a retard like me school can help immensely with this. Sadly though the art school I went to might not have helped much with networking because it was in the middle of nowhere... Thanks high school art teacher for brainwashing me to going out there and 18-year-old me for refusing to consider the schools in Philly more carefully!

>> No.1866291

I learned a lot of new media and techniques, I learned a lot about art history and contemporary art, I got constructive critiques, I learned how to display my work, how to talk about my work, etc.

Do it if you have the money or a scholarship. If you're ambitious you can learn just as effectively without it.
I'd like to get an MFA because I know a good program would kick me into turbo-improvement mode for a few years, and it would qualify me to teach at the college level (which I'd prefer not to resort to, but one always needs a backup plan). But I would only attend if I had a full ride.

>> No.1866304

>>1866273
I'm not

>> No.1866310

No hippies, no goths, nobody even liked anime except me and I tried to keep it quiet.
Everyone was a bit hipster, smoked and wore secondhand clothes whilst talking about how poor they were, but at the end of the 4 years I was sort of betrayed to learn that most people were from very rich families.

I didn't really learn anything apart from a bit of improvement on lifedrawing. I would never have paid US or London tier tuition for a degree, thankfully it's a bit cheaper here.

>Would you recommend it?
I would recommend a year out rather than going straight to uni after school. If you've been in constant education for your whole life you don't appreciate it for what it is.
I was really upset all the time at "never being taught anything", but looking back on it I should have known that art school is really just a period where you can put your life on hold and git gud with all the opportunities around you.

Also, do try to be social with everyone, I only made a small group of friends but pretty much all of those people have 'left' art. The art scene in my city is made up of all the people I never spoke to.

>> No.1866339

been at Art Center for 2 years. I've improved incredibly in that short amount of time. It would be hard not to improve with the massive amounts of homework and lack of sleep that is expected of us along with 5 hour long studio classes with constant critiques. It's basically art boot camp.

I haven't noticed the "stereotypes" you're referring to, but art center is a very professionally minded school, it was founded on that principle (which is why there are no dorms and the architecture is cold and unwelcoming, they wanted everyone to commute to school and leave like it's work) There are some wacky silly goof offs that usually drop out after a term or two, but when it comes time for business, pretty much everyone delivers, even the overly-pierced and pink haired girls that are huge look-at-me-i'm-so-artsy attention whores. There is none of that community college "I left my work at home" bullshit. People would rather not sleep for 4 days straight than bring in unfinished or no work to a critique. If the stereotypically slacker exists, it's generally people that came in expecting a slacker art school time but were hit in the face with mountains of work.

>> No.1866359

>>1866339
The key question is, how does one replicate the rigor found in art programs like yours? What does one do to get on that level independently?

>> No.1866398
File: 392 KB, 2000x1180, 1404790372156.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1866339
I slacked off when I was in school. I felt like such a loser for not having my work done. Not to make excuses but I work two jobs just to pay some teacher who didn't help me improve my work. All she taught me was how to shade and value a little better. I self taught myself how to draw people correctly since my teacher would just put down some model and tell us to draw, which I despised. When I asked how should I draw this, or say I'm struggling she would just take my pencil and do it herself. Fuck that bitch.

Ive seen some sterotypes.

>> No.1866434

>>1866359
This. Of course we generalize, there's gonna be some exceptions. But just how many are the exceptions? The ratio seems fucked up.

>>1866398
Holy shit, that bitch is a huge cunt. I hope there's less people like her.

>> No.1866436

>>1866398
You bitched about the opportunity to do figure drawing from life,and when she redlined your work you ran out crying. You sound like the worst possible student.

>> No.1866439

>>1866084
>went to art school twice
then the more that you should listen to his advice. he also wrote this http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/2011/7-things-i-hated-about-art-school/ so what's your point?

>> No.1866892

>>1866339
Hey, I'm >>1866359
I know it's asking a lot, but could you describe what you went through in your two years? What did you do to get the foundations right? Course description, work load, what do you do daily, textbook used, etc.

Thanks man.

>> No.1866991

We need to get a curricula. Anyone got/want to build one?

>> No.1867006

>>1866991
Like an /ic/ curricula?
Monday: Read Books / Follow anatomy books.
Tuesday: Draw gestures / Follow anatomy books
Wednesday: Draw environments / Draw people at a café
Thursday: Draw gestures / Draw what you want (digital)
Friday: Watch videos on art & drawing / Draw what you want (digital)
Saturday: Watch videos on art & drawing / Draw what you want (digital).
Sunday: Off.

>> No.1867107

Have fun with 18k debt like me for one semester even with a 6k scholorship

>> No.1867116

>>1865843
I learned a lot when I went to AAU. But personally I feel like a lot of the stuff they taught me didn't really help. Some teachers also say that that diplomas or anything aren't really worth it, people look for quality work not a BFA. However, I'll get my 'Associate in Art' degree and call it done. Been there for about 4 years and I'm only halfway the career, is not worth it.

>> No.1867130

>>1866436
Having buttnaked people in front of you is useless if you don't have at least a minimum grasp on fundamentals such as form, perspective and value.
Also, there's a difference between a redline (verbally adressing mistakes and fixing them) and a completly redrawn work.
By the sound of it, that guy didn't know foundation, and that bitch did nothing to teach him.

>> No.1867143

>>1867116
Its true though.
Niggas dont care about the degree at all.
Its your skill level and how fast you can pump out work, that they care about

>>1867130
confirmed

>> No.1867195

>>1866991
Maybe it depends on the kind of thing you want to accomplish.

Sure, the foundations would be the same, but Landscape painters would focus on landscapes, Animators on animation, etc.

>> No.1867324

>>1867130
>>1866436
I actually did very well thank you very much and I passed with flying colors. I'm bitching about how she didn't show us how to draw people from imagination. If I were to go out and draw a human body from memory I wouldn't know where to begin. I had to learn that on my own. I've even told her that I want to go into concept art and asked her if she could show the class how to draw without a model. All she did was brush me off and told me that the class wont be doing that. I don't understand why she did that since half if not all the class were gearing towards that field. Fuck that bitch she only wanted to teach realism and wouldn't show us anything else.

A lot of teachers I had for art were like this.

>> No.1867328

>>1867324
So how did you do it? Learn how to draw humans from imagination?

>> No.1867338

>>1867324
Spoilers: She actually doesn't know.

>> No.1867339

>>1867324
Drawing from imagination requires understanding reality.

>> No.1867346

>>1867324
>I actually did know fundamentals
>she didn't show us how to draw people from imagination
You need a firm grasp on foundation + visual library to draw from imagination, so no, you didn't knew fundamentals.

>> No.1867349

>>1867107
how the fuck do you blow through 24k in one semester

>> No.1867352

>>1867349
>blow through
nigga thats TUITION

>> No.1867356

>>1867324
>>1867346
This.

You need a large visual databank, where you can mix and match memories and people to suit your character and flow.

>how do I do it though?
My method may not work for everyone else but, I masterbated with my eyes closed and imagined the people in my lecture classes/ high school classes, on my dick.
It seems like bullshit, but it brings out memories you forgot were there.

Or

Stare at a person while taking glimpses away for about 30 seconds. In those 30 seconds, recognize what makes her/ him different from the rest.
See what style you can see their face in or figure.
Or if you like an 'asset' then try to remember it and draw it later.

>> No.1867357

>>1867328
see
>>1867356

>> No.1868098

>>1866892
I'm illustration. Fundamentals are 2d and 3d design (so color swatches, basics of composition stuff -figure/ground ambiguity, color harmonies/relationships, etc.). There is a perspective class that makes you hate perspective, life drawing/anatomy/head and hands class (drawing a billion heads and hands), drawing and Comp class, painting and comp (with oils), there is a class that teaches you sketching and painting with acrylics (Bob kato's notorious class), a drawing class that teaches you all about line, classes that teach method/material (like watercoloring class) and classes that teach subject matter and delivering a message are 4th/5th termish (how to create a narrative or combine elements) as you come out of fundamentals. Then you can do the more fun shit in your last few terms, taking classes that teach more niche interests while respecting your personal "muh style.". That's the point where you're allowed to have a "sty-yulllll".

There was not a lot of textbook usage throughout aside from going to the library and researching old masters or other material on your own depending on the project. I generally use the library a lot because it's amazing and a good resource. I'm a research fiend though. A lot of students don't use the library (and lack of research shows in work a lot).

>> No.1868104

>>1866122
fuck outta here with FZD, that school is really only for a specific type of personality and ontop of that you come out being a half baked feng clone.

>> No.1868108

>>1868098
Fucking hell I wish I was you.
In the UK most fine art courses are similar to mine, which after the beginning was 80% being in a studio (either a empty room or print studio) and doing literally anything you want and 20% group/tutor critique.
Weekly lectures about artists nobody has heard of and the option of bi-weekly access to a life model.

Needless to say with all that freedom and no experience of the real world, I wasted most of my time, I wish I had found /ic/ sooner.

>> No.1868175

>>1868108
I was a lazy shit before art center and now I'm a workaholic, which is exactly why I chose art center. Someone told me it was a tough school that was relentless with work so I chose to go there knowing I needed higher discipline to stop being a lazy waste of life.

>> No.1868189

>>1866991

An /ic/ curriculum is a great idea. you could make a few different curriculum for people in different situations. for example: free full time, free part time, under $1000 full time, over $1000 full time. just need to make some timetables and link to resources and materials. you could even make an official start date so you have a bunch of people on the board going through it at the same time.

>> No.1868195

Sounds like it would be cheaper to be NEET and learn suffering.

>> No.1868216
File: 40 KB, 683x1024, smoko.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>going to art school
>not just studying Burne Hogarth for two years and then do whatever the fuck you want

Step up niggas.

>> No.1868226
File: 12 KB, 278x181, ollie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1868216
>not just playing TF2 all day

>> No.1868249

>>1868195
A hell of a lot.
But I learned things about myself I didnt know, so its up to you.
Though it is better if you have a strong financial background or a scholarship.

>> No.1868251
File: 88 KB, 725x474, tehmeh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1868226
>saving the thumbnail

This nigga

>> No.1868277

I went to the College for Creative Studies in Detroit MI. I went for 1 semester in Animation, decided to study independently, and then decided to return in the winter for Illustration.

Eh, kinda? The majority of the people there were late teens early 20's hipsters with an interest in art. 20% were normal people who were going for a trade like Graphic Design, Trans design, and so on. 10% were goths, emos, weaboos, and furries. The Fine Arts department is overtly contemporary, though the Illustration course is pretty awesome.

Not really. The good thing about Art School is you're paying to also have no distractions, so you can work towards your artistic goals full time. When I tried the independent route, I had to get a job, pay bills, and do all sorts of things that took time away from me studying art. Would I still be able to get from point A to point B? Of course. But it would take longer, and I'd be missing out on the experience and connections I'd make at school.

>Would you recommend it?
Make up your own mind. Everyone's situation and dreams are different. I've decided to go back to learn the craft of painting and drawing, and to also learn 3D modeling for a professional portfolio. A few Illustration friends of mine did that, and they're happy with their choices. If you're going for something a bit more technical like Animation, then no doubt would I recommend it. You just need to ask yourself this.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask.

>> No.1868293

>>1865843
Art school was kind of hit or miss for me.

Worst parts:
>Teachers always expect you to know what you're doing. It's not until critique comes and hey, C- because you can't into color. Better luck next time.
>Teachers more interested in concept and ideas than actual technique. Lots of critiques revolved around concept and then the actual work was practically ignored.
>Always having to voice opinions and thoughts in front of large groups of people. I now have five thousand cringeworthy memories of stupid/accidentally offensive comments I made because I'm an aspie and an idiot.

Better parts:
>Try things you may have never tried. I made animation and humor my focus because teachers and classmates told me those were my strong points. Before then, my confidence was too low to even attempt those things.
>free figure drawing and use of high quality equipment

Basically paid 30k to find out what I'm good at and get in some practice with good materials.

>> No.1868308
File: 146 KB, 400x396, watts atelier doesn&#039;t compare.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to some media-esque art school.
It wasn't really a college, I'm Dutch, we don't have the same school system you americlaps have.

Either way, shit was absolutely horrible, if you happen to be a Dutch (underage)fag that's still in High School or considers going don't go to the 'Grafisch Lyceum', just don't.
I went to one in Rotterdam, and I heard the one in Utrecht was even shittier.

They were teaching us exactly what /ic/ doesn't condone.
>trace!
>do shitty photo realistic pencil drawings of celebrities
>do some shitty creativity assignment

Also, 90% of the teacher don't know shit.

>pic related, these are the people giving you advice

>> No.1868322

>>1868293
>free figure drawing and use of high quality equipment

yup it's 'free' after tuition, which you could already do by going to any art studio

>> No.1868354

>>1868277
>>no distractions
TOP KEK TO THE MAX

I actually started browsing 4chan when I started art school. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact my school had no dorms (or a cafeteria for that matter)--we were on our own for living space and food. Though I'm sure kids crammed in dorms would get every chance they can get to waste time on the innertubes too. Not living in a dorm also made it way, way harder for me to make friends (I had roommates where I lived, but we were distant, and other students I tried to connect with treated me like a third wheel). So maybe that's why I hid in my room and sought solace/displacement activities online, because I was such a failure elsewhere... and I still am!

Man, the more and more I talk about art school the more I realize it sucked. But it's still better than community college.

>> No.1868370
File: 11 KB, 225x225, 1958124_606045579482953_522711287_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would I recommend it? It really depends on your goal. If you want to land a career right away in a specific field, then no, it's not for you. I graduated from School of Visual Arts in Cartooning in 2010, and I've been jumping around between part time jobs ever since. When I'm not STILL applying to careers, I continue to work on my own comic series and do some freelance work. It's sad, but I can only hope my own comic will get me somewhere, at the very least be used as a portfolio piece.

>> No.1868513

>>1868354
>"I couldn't stop fucking around on the internet so everyone else will, too!"

I can only think of two or 3 times where there was a big distraction that diverted my attention. One was some parade, another was when neighbors shot at us with Nerf guns, and a third time was a halloween party. Even then, you'll have distractions no matter where you go. In fact I was bugged to waste time and hang out more outside of college than when I was in school.

Also, by "no distractions", I guess I should have cleared up what I meant. Of course your school will be filled with loud, obnoxious dicks. But when I went to school, I didn't have to worry about a job, I didn't have to worry about paying rent, affording food, ect. I only had to worry about my school work.

>> No.1868516

>>1868322
As it turned out, this one college offered a "Free" Weekend life drawing to it's students. I just walked in, sat down, and did that for a few weeks.

I never even applied there.

>> No.1868521

>>1868513
Must be nice to be able to focus. Even with the internet taken away, I still have difficulty concentrating and not being distracted because I'm distracted by my own thoughts (often loud, negative ones) and even mundane shit like my own skin.

I didn't exactly have to worry about a job (at least not at first) and expenses either, because my parents paid for everything, but that made me feel incredibly guilty especially when many of my peers were already self-sufficient (and/or came from poorer families).

>> No.1868529
File: 1.34 MB, 1600x1067, zorn6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1868521
I know a few people in similar situations anon. I have to work during the day and then paint in evening/night, and yet I still get more work done and stay more focused than friends who have parents that get everything done for them. Maybe it's the staying hungry mindset or something. I was good friends with a chick in NY who has wealthy parents and is in such a good position in her life to go to an art school or just paint, but she struggles to work hard, just doesn't have the energy or the drive.

I'm jealous sometimes, and think of how much easier things would be with things paid for by parents, and all the galleries and such in NY to go study from, but really, I think being skint and in a place I don't want to be is good for keeping me focused on my goals.

My advice though isn't that you have to go be poor and live in a shitty town, all of this stuff is in your head anon. Give yourself goals, targets, whatever, maybe something you can keep a tally of like how many finished paintings you've made and such, have a quota. And do yourself a huge favour and take out the trash, get rid of those negative thoughts and just relax and paint.

>> No.1868549

>>1866241
This
>>1866205
>>1866267

Sure Portfolio is the most important thing you should have, especially if you like where you currently are. But in the modern world many countries now require a Bachelors Degree to even get granted a work visa, so you know, you can work in other countries and move around as much as you'd like. So yes while the portfolio will get you the job, the bachelors does open a lot of doors; especially over seas

>> No.1868553 [DELETED] 

>>1868529
I have plenty of goals. They're just all so lofty. I try to look at my repertoire old art to encourage myself, but then notice how I've stagnated especially around the time I dropped out of art school, along with the how capable I was around the ages of 16-18 (when I preparing for college) and how I was gaining a sizable audience on deviantFART then and wish I can return those glory days.

Oh, and it's a little hard to simply be rid of those negative thoughts when there's a lifetime of them. I'm >>1866256. I need years of a special kind of therapy that most insurances don't cover... And in two years I may not even have insurance at all. I really wish sheer willpower could solve all my problems instead. It'd certainly be a lot cheaper.

>> No.1868564

>>1868529
I have plenty of goals. They're just all so lofty. I try to look at my repertoire old art to encourage myself, but then notice how I've stagnated especially around the time I dropped out of art school, along with the how capable I was around the ages of 16-18 (when I was preparing for college) and how I was gaining a sizable audience on deviantFART then and wish I can return those glory days.

Oh, and it's a little hard to simply be rid of those negative thoughts when there's a lifetime of them. I'm >>1866256. I need years of a special kind of therapy that most insurances don't cover... And in two years I may not even have insurance at all. I really wish sheer willpower could solve all my problems instead. It'd certainly be a lot cheaper.

>>inb4 kill yourself

>> No.1868665

I finish up my first year in a week. It's been enjoyable, I've made some friends, some of the tutors have been really really good, some of them have been awful.

Not all of them. Some fit the the stereotype, but it's pretty easy to figure out who is gonna stick around and who is going to drop out and have gone to art school simply because they have been forced in to university by their parents.

> Did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently?

I have nothing to judge it against. The feedback from tutors has been useful, but I've found in contemporary art, a lot of artists are still figuring out what work is considered to be art. It's like working alongside with the tutors, rather than working under them.

>Would you recommend it?

Not to everyone.

AMA i guess???

>> No.1868693

>>1868665
so are you in fine arts/ gd/ illust?

>> No.1868694

>>1868693
fine arts

>> No.1868768

>>1865843
> what was your experience with it?

3rd world fag here, Im still in one now, but as a film student. Some really good experiences but a lot more bad.

Shit ton of homos in fashion design, shit ton of weeaboos in advertising, shit ton of 2deep4u people in film and paintings arts. cesspool of stereotypes.

nah, there were a lot of shitty professors who had little to teach but demands good quality output.

>Would you recommend it?

no, i want to change schools soon

>> No.1868931

>>1868564
That's why I said about having a goal you can keep a tally of, it makes it a daily thing instead of just focusing on the huge final goal. I have two things to keep track of; one is doing a mark on the wall at the end of each day, prison style, but it's good for looking back and seeing how long I've been working towards goals.

The second is I have a place where I want to go more than anything, and I want to get there with funds from my art. It's a few thousand miles away, so I decided each hour spent painting is another mile closer. At the end of each day I estimate how long I spent working towards my goal and then add that on to the total. It's been 9 months now I think, and I just hit the halfway point a couple days ago.

That goal is huge, and is gonna take me ages to get to, but focusing on just making it a few miles closer each day makes me feel I'm progressing, and it's a good way to keep track.

>> No.1868950

>>1868293
>>Always having to voice opinions and thoughts in front of large groups of people. I now have five thousand cringeworthy memories of stupid/accidentally offensive comments I made because I'm an aspie and an idiot.
Share some

>> No.1869061

Anyone been to the Watts atelier, or been in an atelier program?

How's that?

>> No.1869081

>>1866439
i'm just saying, the 'don't go to art school you can succeed without it' camp should ideally have better spokespeople than a guy who's graduated two art schools

>> No.1869101

Went to two art school, SAIC and CalArts for fine art. If the route you want to take is gallery ---> museum ----> prominent collections, you have to go to art school. And get an MFA. Thems the breaks. I'm doing alright, have gallery representation, sell work. Not as well as some of my MFA classmates, who sell work for $20,000-$50,000 a pop at this point- and that's 4 years out of MFA. It's kind of a zero sum game. You win or you lose, there's not much in between (where fine art is concerned, not graphic arts). I would say 35% of my graduating class has a gallery and sells work. Half of that 35% are straight-up baller now, in the studio full time, making serious money. Like, a good friend that i graduated with went from teaching at a shitty highschool and making $24,000 one year to selling out a show in NYC and making $120,000 the next. She's trippled that income in the last few years, bought a huge building for her studio, has 4 studio assistants, etc. BUT she never sleeps, has no social life, is basically insane and will work herself to a young death.

tl;dr for fine art you *have* to go to art school. It's about connections, camaraderie, etc.

>> No.1869149

>>1869101
Lots of big name gallery artists don't have an MFA. It sure doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary. You can find connections in the art world in many other places.

>> No.1869166

>>1869149
Name a few that don't, and ones under 40. There are a few here and there, but I'd say about 90% do have an MFA, and usually from only about 5-6 school (in the US at least). The exception would be people who have a BFA from Cooper Union.

>> No.1869540

>>1869149
There are always artists that find their way into having gallery representation without education, but it's really rare. The majority of fine artists have MFAs. The others are generally "outsider artists" or people that got famous for something else, like Ed Templeton who was known for his skateboarding, and his large following in that led to his gallery representation.

>> No.1869669

>>1868189
this. fund it.

>> No.1869679

It really depends on what school you go to, and for what major at said school. I'm at SVA right now for Illustration. I took my first year and it was honestly a bunch of horseshit, I absolutely hated it. I left for three years and decided to come back to finish to give it a second chance. Foundation year was shit, but 2nd year is downright amazing.
I think it's because with the second year I got to choose all my classes, who was teaching them, and I did a lot of research into each of the professor's works before deciding who I wanted to take. As far as the Illustration department goes, nearly everyone that teaches actual Illustration classes are working in the field, and just teach at SVA because they like it, and it helps them schedule their time (words from an amazing professor I have.) Now, are the photography, fine arts and cartooning departments great? Eh.
If you research, and chose the right school, and are very active and dedicated to your education while you're there, you can learn from people directly who have mastered their craft, and have years of experience in the business. It can be a great jumping point for connections and know how as far as breaking into the art world goes.
If you're work habits are bad, it might help you step up, and if it doesn't you'll just waste 100,000+ dollars and work shitty part times jobs to get by for the rest of your life.

tl;dr Do your research, work your ass off, milk that school dry of all the resources it has to offer and then Art school is worth it imo.

>> No.1869714

>>1869166
Since you're the one claiming an MFA is absolutely necessary to be a successful gallery artist, do you have any data supporting that claim?

>> No.1869729

>>1868189
I am in support of this.

>> No.1869793

>>1869714

>look up contemporary artist on wiki
>biography

there you go

>> No.1869794

>>1865843
STEM or kill yourself.

>> No.1869809
File: 232 KB, 699x960, pavel sokov3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1869061
Pavel Sokov is going to Watts atm, he's a pretty nice guy and would probably answer your questions if you PM him on facebook.

>> No.1869817
File: 24 KB, 432x324, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1869793
That's a no, then. Just checking.

>> No.1869841

>Art Center
>4 year price
>mfw I can buy 7 apartments in my town
>mfw I can buy Ferrari 458
Is it possible to respect people from Art Center? They're just rich scumbags with rich parents. All doors in every careers are open for those people with money

>> No.1869857

>>1869841
The best people in the program are the ones who got in on scholarship. A lot of people also end up in debt for years because of Art Center. It's not just rich people. I knew a girl who went there and she literally didn't have enough cash for food and would need her friends to cover her for lunch and stuff all the time.

>> No.1869868

I'm in art school right now, just got done with midterms. It's alright I guess. I'm not really happy here though.
>are the stereotypes true
Somewhat. A lot of hipster type people here, quite a few weebs and general pink hair, piercings, "i'm going to stand out by being a stereotype" sort of people as well.
>did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently
I'd say so, though I've never been able to solely focus on art before. Basically here because I wanted to try and study just art, got a huge scholarship, and my parents probably wouldn't let me just take a semester off and study on my own.
>would I recommend it
To each their own. I don't really like it that much, but it's something I would probably always wonder about if I just went into pre law like I was planning on doing. Gotta try it to know, I think.

>> No.1869878

>>1869679
>Leaving after Foundation year.

Wow, you must have been a real immature brat.

>> No.1869899

>>1869817
I specifically stated "artists under 40". MFA's weren't even really a thing until the 70's so a lot of older generation artists obviously don't have them. Just looked a mid-tier gallery in LA, Cherry and Martin. Only 3 of their artists don't have MFAs and they're all old as fuck. Just also looked at David Kordansky Gallery, a hot-shit gallery, only 2 of their younger artists have only BFAs. that's out of 33 artists.

>> No.1869913 [DELETED] 

I'm in art school right now, just got done with midterms. It's alright I guess. I'm not really happy here though.
>are the stereotypes true
Somewhat. A lot of hipster type people here, quite a few weebs and general pink hair, piercings, "i'm going to stand out by being a stereotype" sort of people as well.
>did you improve faster than if you were studying it independently
I'd say so, though I've never been able to solely focus on art before. Basically here because I wanted to try and study just art, got a huge scholarship, and my parents probably wouldn't let me just take a semester off and study on my own.
>would I recommend it
To each their own. I don't really like it that much, but it's something I would probably always wonder about if I just went into pre law like I was planning on doing. Gotta try it to know, I think.

>> No.1870012
File: 529 KB, 1920x1080, 7e78d1a5-403c-41b4-bea2-45ddc861c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1865858
I can confirm the second paragrah.
although even the bests schools wont do anything unless you put some work in at home.

>> No.1870016

>>1869868
>but it's something I would probably always wonder about if I just went into pre law like I was planning on doing.

don't worry you'd still be as equally employable after going to law school, only now you're not hundreds of thousands into debt

>> No.1870099

>>1870016
I don't know, I guess I'm lucky that my parents started saving up for my college education early on in their marriage, and that we're pretty wealthy. I've never really had to worry about student loans and debt because with scholarship and my savings from jobs in HS I've never had to go into debt.

>> No.1870143

>>1869868
>my parents probably wouldn't let me just take a semester off and study on my own.
this was my motivation. it baffles me there are so many NEETs whose parents are apparently cool with that

>> No.1870253

>>1869841
I don't get the pricing of US places, when it says the cost per term is like $20k, how many terms are there in a course there? Like if you went to do that entertainment design course, would you be looking at 4 terms a year for 3 years?

That shit is insanely expensive, I could use a quarter of that money, buy a place with a studio and just study for the next 5 years.

>> No.1870283

>>1870253
my school is roughly $19k a term for 8 terms (art center), but scholarship and grants cover me. thanks Obama.

>> No.1870287

>>1870283
also, I'm not a rich kid. I literally have $2 in my wallet, a bank account that is $-45 and I'm praying that the fumes of gas in my car are enough to get me to class tomorrow. I was salvaging acrylic from the scrap bin today to laser cut for my project because I can't afford that shit right now.

Sure, there are plenty of rich kids that go, little asshole shitheads that drive Mercedes to school at 19, but they're actually pretty rare.

Most of my friends are broke and are there in scholarship grants and loans. Not from their parents sending a wad of cash.

>> No.1870302

>>1870253
There are two semesters, or terms, per year. To earn a bachelors you need to attend college for four years (though there are such things as accelerated programs where you can earn it in three). If you're a fuckup like me you can earn an associates in two years--there are some schools that will really fuck you over by giving you an associates in four years. A student can take as many classes or courses as they can afford/mentally handle per semester, but to be considered a full-time student one would take four or five (which in many schools is equivalent to 12-15 college credits toward their degree). Colleges usually price their tuition around credits plus a whole lot of other bullshit.

But yes, college in America is fucking expensive.

>> No.1870323

>want to attend Gnomon since it's basically 30 mins away
>dont care about certs, just want to git gud by going through a professional course
>just need the cash

>> No.1870391

>>1870323

if i remember correctly gnomon isn't even expensive. what's holding you back?

isn't gnomon also more expensive than CDA?

because personally from what i've seen (online) CDA looks much more awesome

>> No.1870402

Maybe unrelated but I'm about to join (submitting all the paperwork this week) an Art School in Japan to learn animation. My long term objective is not working in anime but getting the skills and learning a variety of styles so I can do my own thing in the future. I don't even like moeshit.

Having said that I don't know if I'm making a big mistake... I do want to keep living in Japan though.

>> No.1870407

>>1870402
Money from your own pocket or scholarship/exchange program?

>> No.1870427
File: 32 KB, 600x800, ac6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1870402
ken-sama?

>> No.1870469

>>1870391
I'm not very rich, but I'll be resarching about wgrants and scholarships though. I'm confident enough in my drawing to think I'm good enough to handle their courses. One year there and I think I'll be able to handle anything.

>> No.1870616

>>1870402
wait, you already live in japan?

>> No.1870619

What's wrong with going to art school to learn to draw better animesque art? It's not that different than people who go to become cartoonists.

>> No.1870881

>>1870407
most of it it's from my pocket but I get two scholarships that help me a bit.

>>1870616
Yes. been living here for 10 months. At first I came looking for a job but then I realized I wanted to become an animator and Japan is the only country left that still produces hand-drawn stuff.

>> No.1870929

>>1865843
I would give anything in the fucking world to go back in time and not go to art school. Save up and pay for something like Digital Tutors, CtrlPaint, ConceptCookie, etc.

All I have to show for it is about 100k of debt and even less time to draw between working two shit jobs that aren't art-related to pay for it.
Part of it's my fault though, I knew what i was getting into I just gave up because I literally spent 2 years being poor and homeless before realizing I can't run from this mistake.

I can't even bring myself to pick up a pen, and regularly get high/drunk and contemplate suicide.

>> No.1871116

>>1870929
post your portfolio

>> No.1871128

>>1870881
Which city?

>> No.1871184

>>1870929
>100k in debt
Whyyyyyy

I mean, I get that our society is brainwashed into thinking if you don't go to college you'll become a non-contributing fuck, but damn nigga. I went to a small in-state liberal arts college on scholarship, got my BFA, zero debt. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Good luck and get to work.

>> No.1871226

Proko talks about art school in his three hour long hangout, forget where exactly, and makes many good points for staying away from most art schools.

>> No.1871253

>>1865843
O.P., I know I'm coming late into this thread, but I'm 30 now and I went to a mix of community college and real fine arts school.

All of it was a waste. Many people here are telling you that they are either in back breaking debt of they dropped out.

I dropped out, my girlfriend dropped out, and so did many of our friends that attended art school. I am thankful that I did not finish because in the end I learned very little.

I have been drawing since before I could write and I was drawing comic book characters by the time I was in the second grade. I had an early aptitude for art and painting and I can say that I received little help from most of my instructors.

If you're smart and driven enough then you can learn it all on your own. I would take atelier classes or online tutoring if I were you instead, unless you're absolutely sure that art is what you want to do.

As many people said, art school is a racket. They accept virtually anyone anymore and it's a complete joke. A person really goes to make connections; that's it.

I don't even draw much. I am pursuing music now, but I think it's because I take my drawing/painting ability for granted.

My girlfriend put it best: She said that the people who are successful in art have something to prove and this means that it's usually the lesser talented people. So many people we know who are truly talented in art don't do it. I think many of us got burned out at school at some point and many of us have done it most of our lives. The lesser talented people are more motivated because deep down they know they're not as good and have to prove to themselves that they are good enough and can make it. She feels that is why there are so many shitty artists out there making a living. I've come to believe this myself.

She gets on my case all the time because I still draw every now and then and she knows I'm toward the top/higher end of talent.

I simply want to play music because I find it more challenging.

>> No.1871255

>>1871253
>>Continuing:

It's not worth going $100K in debt, O.P., it really isn't. Art school really is for rich kids. I was poor in a very wealthy area in high school. My high school swept every competition we were in my senior year. Almost everyone I knew that pursued art went to either R.I.S.D., University Of The Arts, or M.I.C.A. This is no exaggeration. They all had parents that had the money to pay.

College is has become a scam to take your money and unless you're 110% devoted to your subject, do not waste your money.

>> No.1871262

>>1865863
Yeah, I'm very much into realism and my teachers would shit all over me. I swear it was like Art School Confidential. I was always a part of the top 3-5 in a class, usually the best technically, and my teacher would either overlook my work or shit all over me in a sense.

Went for fine art and I realize it was a mistake. Paid my own way through art school and luckily only ended up $10K in debt. It took me a year of working like a madman to pay that off at my shitty pharmacy technician job.

>> No.1871263

>>1865882
It kills the fun in drawing/painting for many people. It did for me. I kept doing shitty projects when I wanted to concentrate elsewhere. I hated many aspects of it and I feel I only had two or three good instructors. It really made me end up hating the art world and how it operates. Burned me out too.

>> No.1871265

>>1865943
I agree with the other posters. I had to retake a basic drawing class when I went back to school. The instructor asked why the hell I was there (credit/program fuck up on my part) and noticed I didn't need much help. He was great though and helped make my perspectives tighter.

>> No.1871266

>>1866169
Honestly, not to shit on you, but it sounds like you may not have been artistically inclined from a beginning.

I am serious when I say this. No one should go to art school unless he or she has a proven track record of showing talent and promise in art.

I saw so many people, especially when I started in community, trying somehow to "learn" how to get good at art and simply didn't have what it took. Community had to accept anyone into the program and my one instructor was kind enough to tell those that should not be doing it to "maybe try something else". Many people are never that blunt in life.

If it's been that hard for you work-wise I'd say cut your losses and try another field. If you're talented then by all means continue on.

>> No.1871270

>>1869101
Many of the world's best artists dropped out of school or did not really attend art school. Flat out. In the modern day there are still tons of people that didn't finish school and are working artists.

It's easy to say that people have MFA's and are making money. I'm willing to wager that if a person can go to one of the top schools then his parents are wealthy and usually have connections.

One of the biggest disappointments in my life was realizing that the art world is a wealthy person's racket. By that I mean that the artists themselves come from wealthy families and usually have an in to become working artists.

I think that was a huge factor in my decision to stop going to school for art.

>> No.1871273

I figure now that instead of going to the schools I can just learn everything I need from books, videos and life drawing. I'm already determined enough, so there's no point in stuffing myself into some school.

>She said that the people who are successful in art have something to prove and this means that it's usually the lesser talented people. So many people we know who are truly talented in art don't do it. I think many of us got burned out at school at some point and many of us have done it most of our lives. The lesser talented people are more motivated because deep down they know they're not as good and have to prove to themselves that they are good enough and can make it. She feels that is why there are so many shitty artists out there making a living. I've come to believe this myself.

I find this interesting, I look at some of the popular artists these days and to me what they have is achievable with the right amount of dedication, they aren't gods like people want to make them seem like. At the same time I think what matters most is what a person does with those skills, you see all the time how people can draw well but their works are boring, uninspired and mechanical, or they just sit on that knowledge and do nothing with it. And to me that's a huge waste.

>> No.1871280

>>1871273
>you see all the time how people can draw well but their works are boring, uninspired and mechanical, or they just sit on that knowledge and do nothing with it. And to me that's a huge waste.

Yeah, that g/f of mine really gets on my case because I have good ideas and I am technically good I suppose.

It really is a matter of having done it my entire life and being burned out. She gets really angry at me because of the kind of art that's out there nowadays.

You're right about current art being achievable. It really is. Most art is going the way of pseudo graphic art which most people can emulate.

It's extremely difficult to emulate a master artist, however.

I just think people don't try as hard anymore and those that do don't get attention right now.

>> No.1871285

>>1871280
If you don't mind me asking, could you post some of your work?

>> No.1871322

>>1871273
Now I feel bad about wanting to go to art school... ;_;

>> No.1871323

>>1871322
Same guy, dont worry anon. I think it's honestly valid if you know exactly what you want out of it, for example a like-minded social circle, networking, etc. My own personal angle is gaining technical expertise to meet my greater goals, and I see now that i can achieve that without the hassle of enrollment into schools, it's all at my fingertips thanks to the internet.

>> No.1873906

I'm planning on studying sculpture in university.
Planning on going to a university with a decent fine art program instead of an art school
does anyone have any advice?

>> No.1873951

Could someone that went to art school post their curriculum? Like for the first few semesters

>> No.1874157

What does /ic/ think of illustrations major? I was thinking of enrolling at Emily Carr in BC since I live in Alberta and our art school isn't very good. I'm skeptical about any art school to be honest.

>> No.1874159

>>1874157
I have a friend who went to Emily Carr. She liked the experience but didn't really learn a lot. She works at a game company now so atleast things worked out for her. Some companies care about stuff like that, some don't care at all.

>> No.1874165

>>1874159

What program did she take? In the end I want an environment that will push me into making my drawings professional and accurate. That's something I feel like I'd struggle to do self taught.

>> No.1874173

>>1874165
I'm pretty sure it was illustration

>> No.1874294

How good do you have to be to get into an art school? I really only just started getting into it and I absolutely love it. Do junior/community colleges require an extensive portfolio or is it only four year unis?

>> No.1874309

>>1870619
there's nothing wrong with wanting to draw better and liking animu. the problem is in the people who refuse to learn fundementals, scoff at art history, think nothing is better than anime and refuse to even try anything other than anime bc that's not kawaii enough

>> No.1874317

>>1871266
I have been drawing since I could hold a writing/drawing implement. I got serious about art (as in, decided it was my life's calling and made serious efforts to develop the skillset) when I was twelve. My biggest priority over everything throughout my adolescence was becoming an artist and getting into art school. Dropping out was not just a matter of "oh I can't meet deadlines and this shit's expensive, better jump the ship!" There was so much disappointment (in myself) and shame that the experience was basically traumatic. All that time, energy, emotion, and money--my dream shattered because I'm too sick make it happen.

My professors time and again recognized my technical ability and really wished I could just get a grip on my time management/work ethic. As much as I tried to hide it I eventually had to confess to some of them that my anxiety and depression (and maybe shitty medication, but I can't remember if I ever told them that) severely affected my productivity. I was in constant contact with the dean and an advisor about my problems throughout my two year stint and they seemed very understanding. What's so regrettable is that there are so many things my parents and I could have done sooner that could have made my experience a little less worse and that could have increased the possibilities of me completed the four-year program.

I can't do anything but art--that's the problem. I spent my whole life working on this particular set of skills and not much else. Oh, I can write well. Who the fuck cares? I have a knack for computers. Too bad I'm really fucking bad at math and science and can't afford another fours years of college anyway to earn a degree in computer science to get into IT. And no, at this point a technical school is not an option for me either.

>> No.1874318

>>1874317
app academy

>> No.1874321

>>1874317
There isn't actually much math or science in computer science. I don't know where people get that idea from. IT is monkey work.

>> No.1874323

>>1874317
Get a+ certified then work towards climbing the ranks

>> No.1874324

>>1874317
ouch. i had a similar experience myself...that is to say, dropped out of my fancy course, took a last resort course in a completely different subject elsewhere. but in my case, i realised that the course/uni i picked was not right for me at all. and realising all my clever plans and posturing about my acceptance letter to such a good school were the result of me being a complete idiot for over half a year before i actually got there, my self esteem tripped over a banana peel and broke both ankles

do you have to take graphic design? is there no chance of you transferring to, say, an illustration or fine art course at the same uni?

>> No.1874326

>>1874318
This thing's in NYC, I'm in Philly (well, the suburbs). Do you expect me to move with my nonexistent money?

>>1874324
If my community college offered illustration, I would've chosen that instantly--except maybe not quite. I didn't immediately choose GD as my major either when I transferred "down" because I thought my parents (especially my father) would never let me study art again after what I did, so my first year at CC was wasted first on no major (or "liberal arts" lulz) and then I declared my major as web development which I immediately regretted because it was stupid and boring )or I was just too impatient to sit through the super basic classes to get to the actual web programming and design courses). So when it came time to register for my second year I put my foot down and said I'm going to do graphic design. The school reevaluated all my credits from art school and lucky for me I was almost half way through their program already. But then other shit got in my way and that's how I'm in my sixth year of college.

>> No.1874387

>>1874317
dude. Keep painting, with your story you could be the next frida kahlo

>> No.1874399

>>1874387
Yeah but are people really gonna buy a bunch of paintings of my angry, androgynous face, or my illustrations of sexy (male) robot pilots (and their robots, of course)?

My shit probably won't earn me any money until after I finally commit suicide.. after I blow up my school... Or murder my family... Or something. (that will set a GREAT example for BPD sufferers to the rest of the world!)