[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 32 KB, 591x275, 1409285010505.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1837835 No.1837835 [Reply] [Original]

I feel awful.
I feel like I'm not improving fast enough.
The only thing I'm getting better at is drawing symbols more accurately, I can't draw anything overly complicated or technical, though I have been trying.

Help me, /ic/ please tell me a magic way to understand this bullshit

>> No.1837846

How much are you practicing? What are you studying? What is wrong with your work?

You could be biting off more than you can chew OR you could be attempting too little.

If you draw from imagination a half hour a day twice a week then you won't improve much. If you draw from life for four hours a day five days a week then you're going to make steady improvement.

Post samples of your work. Without seeing it all I can tell you is to go back and really study the basics. Evaluate your line quality. How much control do you have over your pencil? Can you draw a line without it being shaky and scratchy? Can you draw a straight line freehand in one fluent motion? Can you draw an accurate curved line freehand? Can you set a start point and end point and draw a line between the two? If you can't draw accurate lines then you can't draw more complicated things. Set aside a half hour a day to grind out clean lines.

Next up is your forms. Can you draw good circles and ellipses? Can you find the minor axis in those ellipses (the shortest line between two opposite points)? How about boxes? Can you draw accurate boxes in perspective, freehand? If you can't draw balls and boxes then you can't draw more complicated forms.

How are your observational skills? How well can you read and draw gesture? Can you simulate a lightsource?

Go over these skills with a fine tooth comb. When you find problem spots work on them. These skills add up into a larger picture.

>> No.1837850
File: 75 KB, 596x447, 087609991f9627edad4598227d6a2d87.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1837846
I usually draw for a few hours a day, that's pretty much all I do besides eat and sleep and mope around a bit.
On the left is a style I rely on, not really understanding much about form, but I draw whatever I can to make it look the best, even though it doesn't always translate.

the right is me trying something else, like perspective, but weird... I can't seem to fully understand perspective and how shapes change depending on it

>> No.1837858

>>1837850

First: Stop using a style. Doesn't help you in the early stages of the learning process.

Second: Read "Perspective Made Easy" by Ernest Norling. Read the book, do the exercises, you'll come out with an understanding of perspective.

Third: Study figure drawing. Loomis, Proko, Vilppu, Hampton, they're all good. Read/watch their works and do studies from life. Get a big drawing board, a pad of newsprint (18x24) and some charcoal pencils. Download a pack of figure reference and draw. Work through their basics and build a regiment. This is where you should be putting your hours in. Everytime you draw something from imagination what do you learn? Nothing. Everytime you draw something from reference you will learn from it.

You'll do so many of these fucking studies that you'll want to pull your hair out, it'll feel like torture doing the same shit over and over. Number them, it helps. At first I did nothing but gesture, working four hours a day five days a week. After six weeks I had done 3000 of them. I saw improvement.

>> No.1837862

>>1837850
for perspectivedraw more simple shapes from life.
They aren't easy to do. they are boring, stressful and hard. but you will gain from it. thats why art schools always start with those.

>> No.1839864

bump

>> No.1839912

Quit your bitching and get back to work

>> No.1839957

>>1837835
yo can you draw a line?