[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.08 MB, 249x250, 1385379451360.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1638423 No.1638423[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Random question and answer thread

Ask away d/ic/ks

>> No.1638426

Why the fuck is drawing on a tablet harder than traditional media?

>> No.1638428

>>1638426
Because your tablet is small probably.

If one is studying fundamentals, what should you study first? Can somebody make a list? Like what would be the best to study first, Perspective, Color, Values, Composition, Anatomy?

>> No.1638431

>>1638428

I'm still a begginer, but something that helped a lot was arm and eye-hand coordination exercices. You have to fully domain you hand, eye and brain to start.

>> No.1638434

Is a lack of critical response to your work a indication that it sucks?

>> No.1638435

>>1638428
someone will give you a list i'm sure, but really, you should study by drawing. it's a gestalt.

>> No.1638436

>>1638434

If it suck someone will say "it suck". It's a sign that it's so boring no one gives a fuck.

>> No.1638437

>>1638434
probably. people respond to a work if it interests them on /ic/ people are very interested in 'helping' people who suck and quite interested in 'helping' people of whom they are jelly. In real life people really want to like your work, generally.

if your work is competent[ish] but not compelling then it'll be passed over. on /ic/ and irl.

you can make your work more compelling by having it tell a good story, or make a strong point, etc. or by making it aesthetically remarkable, beautiful or striking.

..you can also just give a good artist's statement by that's cheating.

>> No.1638438

>>1638437
but that's*

>> No.1638448

>>1638437
Against my better judgement, this is what I was specifically referring to >>1638299

I think it's a competent drawing but is it boring? How would you make it not boring?

>> No.1638465

>>1638448
make her sexier. always works.

other things :
you might do is take it out of profile, as in she is walking from right to left, if she were walking a little bit towards the viewer, might pop a bit more.

she is essentially balanced, as is the image. if you give more of an impression of movement through imbalance it would be more exciting.

there certainly isn't anything wrong with it in terms of drawing. if i were just a single panel in a comic with other more important panels on the page it'd be just fine. as a stand alone image it'd need more. compare comic book covers to comic book panels for example.

>> No.1638466

>>1638465
sorry for all those typos, embarrassing.

other things:
something you might do is*

if i were = if it were*

and all those commas lol. replace with periods and semi-colons as required.

>> No.1638510
File: 187 KB, 700x600, pthYXew.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1638428

>> No.1638520

>>1638510
Books for learning these things?

>> No.1638537

>>1638520
I mean the techniques things.

>> No.1638551

>>1638537
loomis

>> No.1638553

Is there a proper way to grayscale an image for study? Normally I would just turn down the saturation, but I read somewhere that does not always result in an exact grayscale.

>> No.1638558

>>1638553

yeah see pic related. just choose any of the bw conversion modes, and be aware of the implications.

for most studies it really won't matter though, you would probably just be overcomplicating it.

>> No.1638569
File: 420 KB, 1484x1058, asd1d-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1638558

forgot pic

>> No.1638570

>>1638569
>>1638558
Will do, thanks.

>> No.1638578

I'd like to hear the progression of some folks through their reading materials and what they're currently studying now.

>From when you first started studying 'til now, what've you read?

>How much would you say each particular text influenced your work?

>What do you find yourself specifically thinking back on out of a given text even today?

I'm on my first with 'The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' right now. The problems with this thing became immediately apparent, but I'm already 1/3 of the way through since the .PDF is only 315 pages long so fuck it.

Armchair "self-taught" psychs who then utilize their gimmick of choice in order to attach a loosely scientific angle to their expensive-ass drawing seminars is one thing, but it's still got some decent food for thought with how she applies it to drawing. If you're capable of looking at the thing critically then the pseudoscience isn't a problem. (That and it helps that I didn't pay for the thing.)

I mean the example she gives in the intro, of that group of physicists/chemists who'd never even been together in a physical setting would've made me fall out of my chair laughing if it weren't so retardedly irrelevant as to make me read the passage again to make sure I even got it right.

>People working together on a unified project work better when they can share ideas in a centralized group setting.

YUP. TOTALLY ON ME. JUST GONNA REFERENCE THIS IN MY INTRO NOW.

Shit's almost as bad as crystal energies.

>> No.1638581

>>1638578
Oh man, you really gonna read trough the rest even if all she teaches in the book can be learned in 3 pages instead of 300? Great time management you have there.

>> No.1638583

>>1638578

never been big on reading. didn't even finish loomis.

just drew/painted alot and did a fuckton of studies.

can i even say that i didn't finish loomis without the lynchmob jumping out ofthe bushes?

*... quietly retreats...*

>> No.1638584

>>1638581
Fair point. If I don't finish it within the day then I'll pick up a new book and start fresh.

This is comparable to reading trashy romance novels at this point.

>> No.1638585

>>1638584
The workbook to the book is the only thing worth going trough.

>> No.1638587
File: 653 KB, 1354x617, 1390569573353.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1638585
...And now I feel like a complete idiot for not realizing there was a workbook intended to accompany this.

I found a dump on art resources, searched for the name Edwards, and then went with it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link handy, would you?

Pic somewhat related, first thing I've drawn in years since I've never really tried it out in earnest before scanning through the sticky. Freehand/winged it/etc.

Linework's terrible, perspective is off, poor definition, no understanding of values, eyes are fucked up, mouth is sloppy and the bad linework is just trying to obscure (very poorly) the lack of detail.

But again, first thing in years with zero instruction beforehand. At least I'm critical right off the bat.

>> No.1638589

>>1638587
Search for the pdf on google, it's not exactly hard to find.

>> No.1638590

>>1638587
Forgot to add "zero understanding of proportion and general facial structure" to that.

>> No.1638594

I am trying to draw a thing with a pattern on it.
I drew the pattern in colour.
Now I want to shade it.

How do I go about this?
Basically I have to turn the white-to-black gradient into a transparent-to-black gradient.

I know how to do this in gimp, but there has to be a way in photoshop.

>> No.1638595

How much skill will I lose switching from normal drawing to digital drawing?

>> No.1638603

>>1638595
Lose? None. Sure you won't be used to the medium, but don't think of it like that. Just practice and you'll adjust.

>> No.1638663

>>1638578
I've been drawing about a year. I started with fun with a pencil, because someone told me to, but didn't get very far because I didn't even understand what construction was or what I was supposed to be learning from it. I thought he was just making me draw 30's cartoon faces.

Then I went to Edwards and got through most of the book. I even read the pseudoscience, which was a waste of time obviously, but it did help me learn to observe better.

Then I went back to Loomis's Figure Drawing and Head and Hands, and I understood what I was supposed to be learning a bit better.

Then I think I went to Vilppu, but the "feeeeel the gesture, maaaan" stuff just confused me, and the stuff about flowing rivers didn't really help me actually draw stuff in 3D space.

Then I went to Hampton and actually started constructing things I wanted to draw. Proko also helped me a lot. I subscribed to his figure drawing course.

Out of all of them I think I like Hampton and Proko the best, and I really did need Edwards in the beginning, but everyone's different, so you may get more out of the others. I like Proko's explanation of gesture better than Hampton's, which is pretty much just like Vilppu's.

>> No.1638800
File: 50 KB, 624x351, 1390593617977.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone here use Surface Pro? Should I buy it as a tablet for art? Is it a good investment, or should I rather buy a pen display (like Monoprice or Yiynova) for my art needs and a cheap Android tablet for my tablet-related needs like ebooks etc.?
There is some backstory. After trying with 2 graphic tablets (w/o display) and failing, I gave up trying to get used to digital drawing a few years ago. Perhaps I lack dedication, or I just wasn't made for this. I couldn't afford a display tablet back then. Now I'm trying to choose a tablet pc, I've been looking at cheap Android models mostly, but then I got interested in surface pro, the fact that it has pressure-sensitivity and some people actually use them for art got me intrigued. It's price, weight and thickness are a big turn off. But if I can draw on it and it functions at least as a half-decent pen display, perhaps I coud deal with it, I plan to use the tablet mainly at home anyway.

>> No.1638804

>>1638800
I'd go for the Yiynova, a lot of great reviews and it's cheap. I'm saving up for one atm.

>> No.1638805

>>1638800
You could look into getting a used tablet pc on ebay - preferably business grade. If you check out forum.tabletpcreview.com , they can help you find a tablet that's right for you. I know that Lenovo, Fujitsu and HP have all made good business grade tablet pcs in the past, but the community in that forum will be able to help you out.

The other important question is: can you draw traditionally? And I mean actually draw moderately well. A tablet won't make you draw any better (in fact, you'll draw worse). In terms of line accuracy, a tablet with a screen is indeed better than one without, but both are still inferior to traditional media in that regard due to parallax and worsened sensor accuracy towards the edges of the active area.

>> No.1638806

I can't design costume for shit, I even do studies of fashion and try to learn costumes of old era.

how did you guys approach design during your first time?

>> No.1638807

Just got figure drawing for all it's worth in the mail today. Was wondering how long I'd spend studying this book. I've got a pretty basic understanding of human anatomy, and just wanted to expand so I could do more accurate proportions and challenge myself to do more exciting or dynamic work. I really want a better understanding of how muscles and bones move and definitely want to work on foreshortening.

Basically my question is how long did you all spend studying this book (if any of you have)?

>> No.1638839

>>1638800
If you're going to be working primarily from home or be sitting down most of the time, get a Yiynova. If you move around a lot/want to work outside/want a laptop replacement, get the Surface Pro 2. I use the SP2 as my primary tablet as I move around and work outside a lot, I used to have the first gen Yiynova but, long story short, the power jack got messed up.

>> No.1638934

Is Kingston, London a good school if you wish to do freelance illustration?

>> No.1639017

>>1638806
I treat clothes like I treat the figure: as shapes and masses.

>> No.1639044

>>1638537

There is written on top to not study things in logical order. So why do you ask for books titles about the technique part?

>> No.1639051

how I deal with chickenscratch?

>> No.1639078

>>1639051
>how I deal with chickenscratch?

use the arm instead of the wrist
draw much slower

>> No.1639079

>>1639051
declaw your chickens

>> No.1639128

How in the actual hell do you draw soft shapes with a ballpoint pen without relying too much on crosshatching and making the drawing 8 feet tall?

I feel like I can get it when I'm drawing something less than 6 inches big, but when I have to do it at a foot it just turns out shit.

And then it gets good again around 6 feet, but at that point I'm going through a dozen pens just to make it work.

>> No.1639140

>>1639128
Basically, what you do is you place your paper on a soft surface, maybe like cardboard or something, just as long as it's not on a hard desk. Then you practice making very light marks. You can actually get value out of ballpoint marks.

>> No.1639147

Can anyone share a/some sites with good cloth/drapery references?

>> No.1639215
File: 219 KB, 742x969, ss (2014-01-24 at 11.22.51).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright so, I decided to explore Loomis's method of figure drawing as opposed to Vilppu's and I'm on this page.

What exactly does he want me to experiment with? Just drawing without a model or does he want me to look at a model and express the pose in the drawing? I find Loomis is rather ambiguous about what he actually instructs you to DO.

Thanks in advance.

>> No.1639253

>>1639215

He wants you to think various poses from your imagination and to use that simple skeleton/structure to simulate them on paper

>> No.1639264

is there a certain artistic threshold i should pass before i try to study loomis

>> No.1639269

>>1639264
I think it's helpful to be able to see and copy shapes accurately beforehand, as it will make the process a lot easier. Loomis has you start off the back with forms, which can be tricky with zero drawing experience.

>> No.1639273

>>1639269
so, should i be able to accurately draw anything from observation before i head to loomis?

>> No.1639274

>>1639273
not really

>> No.1639277

>>1639274
Then what should the quality of my work looks like?

I would very much appreciate it if you gave a visual aide

>> No.1639279

>>1639273
You should be able to draw somewhat accurately, at least from 2D references. Alternatively, a lot of the exercises in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain will suffice.

>> No.1639281

>>1639264
Conversely, is there any point where Loomis won't really be so useful compared to something else for people that already learned art the hard way?

Is Loomis the answer for someone who already learned a lot of fundamentals elsewhere?

>> No.1639287

How do you keep yourself from becoming overconfident about your work.

After a while staring at the same piece I've been working on, I'll begin having no idea whether it actually looks good or not.

>> No.1639312

>>1639281

Dude! Just open the pdf files and give a fast look to see if you need it or not. It's not rocket science.

>> No.1639316

>>1639287

Stand back, way back.. I've thrown away many like this. Also if the thumbnail looks bad, it's bad. simple

>> No.1639317

>>1639287
take a picture with your phone
look at it in a mirror
turn the pad upside down

>> No.1639329

Should I draw form the shoulder even if we're talking about drawing on an A4 or an A5 paper?

>> No.1639339

>>1639329
yes your shoulder is capable of more precision than your wrist, the only thing a wrist does better is flicking movements because less mass

>> No.1639341

>>1639329
I draw on napkins and throw a roundhouse kick prior to each stroke

>> No.1639348

>>1639329
i just saw the proko video on it and he suggest that you use your shoulder when you are trying to draw bigger lines.

he says the problem is this: all our lifes we have been taught to write with our wrist and that's perfectly fine for writing but when we are drawing we will have more possibilities by (sometimes) drawing with the shoulder.
he doesn't say you should always draw with your shoulder. he says you should draw with your shoulder when it's required.
he shows an exercise on how to get used to drawing with the shoulder because you probably dont have any muscle memory in that area and need to train it first before you can use it precisly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84

>> No.1639351

>>1638804
btw, Yiynova costs almost the same as Surface in my country. That's fucked up. MSP19U without the shiping costs about 200$ more compared with the Amazon price tag. MVP10UHD - about 110$ more. Oddly enough, only MVP22u IPS will actually cost roughly the same as from Amazon or even cheaper if I order it from those guys who sell yiynova here.

>>1638805
Thanks, I'll look into it.
I can draw traditionally, moderately well. The only thing I struggled with was color. Most of my work is black and white. I just wanted to color it digigtally because if you fuck up coloring this way it's at least reversible. Perhaps, even if I become better with a tablet, I'll still stick mostly to sketching traditionally and then coloring and fine-tuning digitally, there's something I like about this kind of porocess.

>>1638839
I don't want a laptop replacement, that's the problem, I already have a laptop. Though sketching outside would be nice, is the screen still readable in the sunlight though?

>> No.1639390

>>1638431

I'm drawing for few years now and livi g of illustration.
my problem is that i didn't pay any attention to this eye-brains-hand coordination. I was scribbling instead and hope to get something out of that scribble.
i have no problem now with scribbling, i can make decent sketches but those are more or less happy accidents. I don't see the image/drawing/idea in my head before i put down a line. I put dow a line or just scribble and then get something out.

how do you practice that eye-hand coordination?

>> No.1639423
File: 452 KB, 1440x900, 324314312142.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1639390
anyone here ever tried using their tablet for something like Hotline Miami?

It actually works. You need to map the right mouse button to one of the buttons on the pen though. It's pretty fun. You can attack by tipping on the tablet with your pen

>> No.1639425

>>1639423
oh well, one of the buttons is already mapped to that.
i dont think you need to change anything in that case.

maybe it helps you getting more comfortable with the tablet

>> No.1639431

Hey guys how do i blend colours in photoshop without it having nasty blending edges?

Im trying to do value studies but whenever i try to blend it feels like i overwrite the color with the new, leaving a bad edge then try to rectify and the reverse happens, instead of a smooth transitions like in pro artist videos :/

>> No.1639447

>>1639431

well this is an example made with gimp painter, but I think you can understand how to apply it in photoshop:
(jump to 1:08:12)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcvarqm4G0

>> No.1639448

>>1639431
>>1639447

Should i use soft brush or hard brush? ive used hard brush all these years and thoght soft was muddy and couldnt define anything, am i wrong?

>> No.1639453

>>1639448

but that it depends by what are you painting. If it has hard edges between values or not.
For example if on a sphere you have a hard light use a hard brush and then use the soft brush for the shadows

>> No.1639471

Any advice on making dynamic poses clearer in traditional, it boggles my mind SO much when arms are crossing into legs or overlapping etc, if the model is standing with their limbs apart or normally, i can do it, but when they do some weird ass overlap my lines get muddy and lost...

>> No.1639517

How to improve my handwriting?

>> No.1639519
File: 73 KB, 337x608, chickenortheegg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do i stop chicken scratch?

>inb4 dont draw with wrist

i draw from my shoulder but it just keeps happening

>> No.1639570

>>1639519
Slow down and think about the line you are about to make. Take it slow and steady so as to put down the perfect line every time; the speed will come with experience.

>> No.1639572

>>1639519
uh shouldn't you practice make lines on a piece of a paper

>> No.1639589

>>1639329
You should keep your wrist fixed, but not tight. Imagine you're wearing a wrist brace. Draw all of your large strokes from the shoulder + elbow. Use your fingers for fine detail work.

Using the wrist too much puts you at wrist for tendonitis/CPS. Exercise your judgment - if you start to feel pain in your wrist then you're doing something wrong.

>> No.1639626

>>1639351
Well I only mention laptop replacement because it could be one if you needed it to (I don't store anything on it besides painting files and maybe some TV series if I feel like watching something outside). But yeah its perfectly readable outside, just turn up the brightness or buy a matte screen protector to reduce glare from the sun.

>> No.1639643

>>1639519

Draw slowly and ghost the lines. Go through the movement with the pen/pencil hovering above the paper. When the correct orientation is found, drop the pen on the paper and draw.

Turn the paper a lot, don't try to learn many movement. Learn how to draw a line always the same way. If you want to draw it at different angles just turn the paper so your muscular memory will learn only one movement and it will be easier for you. Same thing for curves learn a few types of curves and then turn the paper at the right angle.

>> No.1639679

It might sound like a dumb question, but it has been bugging me for some time.

How do you copy? Do you first memorize the line, then move your eyes to your drawing, and then draw it from memory?
Or just draw it while looking at the object you are copying and not looking at the drawing itself? It one way preferable to the other?

Thanks!

>> No.1639768

Anyone here actually use a tablet that's not from Wacom?

Just curious, I have a Wacom Intuos 5 M myself.

>> No.1639784

>>1639679
You look at both. It's a constant back and forth. As the drawing becomes more refined, you'll slowly spend more time looking at your source than the drawing.

This might help a bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakaoQ9L1RM

>> No.1639799

What pencils should a beginner buy to cover the basic scale?

I've heard that HB, 2B and 6B should be a good start. Your opinions?

>> No.1639803

>>1639784
I see, seeing the woman doing it in the end was actually quite enlightening.

Thanks a lot!

>> No.1639801

>>1639799
i only use either H or HB.

that's dark enough for me. also i don't like how smudgy softer/darker pens are

>> No.1639909

Do you think you can make a good comics with pleasing drawings even if you're not /ic/ elite?
Sometimes I see "pro" drawings that are weaker than most unknown Internets people. I know the technique is weak, has flow, but it still works. Why?

>> No.1639910

Is it bad if I don't like to use traditional tools because I suck with them? I just like to use a tablet or a simple pencil for sketching.

>> No.1639914
File: 405 KB, 480x800, Screenshot_2014-01-19-20-08-40.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I'm making a drawing composed of many parts that have to be carefully constructed and on perspective and everything, how do I draw it without haphazardly placing basic forms on the page in whatever order I think of them? I know of the line of action in figure drawings, but is that it? How do I go from a thumbnail sketch to a large scale drawing and still maintain the intended image? Pic related is my face when trying to do this

>> No.1639915

>>1639909
>Do you think you can make a good comics with pleasing drawings even if you're not /ic/ elite?

I don't understand these kind of questions. Just try to do it. Nobody can tell you if you're able or not to make a high quality comic book. Just study, practice and try harder and harder.

>> No.1639921

>>1639910

no it's not bad. Do as you prefer.

>> No.1639928

>>1639921
shut up. of course it is.

>> No.1639945 [DELETED] 

>>1639928

He likes the tablet and the pencil. That's enough. What is important is the content he'll produce. Now how.

>> No.1639947

>>1639928

He likes the tablet and the pencil. That's enough for the moment. Not everyone wants to be a professional.

>> No.1639960

Should I just start drawing a comic while I start improving? I feel like I need something to keep my motivation going, something to want to keep drawing for?

>> No.1639963

>>1639947
>If you're not going to be a pro then you shouldn't worry about improving or using better tools and media

>> No.1639968

>>1639960

Yes. Just start. If it will look awful it doesn't matter. You'll polish it and re-make it many times in the next years. You'll have much more motivation in studying perspective and all the other things if you're cooking something in your pot.

>> No.1639969

>>1639963
>better tools because I say so
0/10

>> No.1639976
File: 15 KB, 350x254, 1390703521133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1639963

what he needs now is motivation. At the beginning It won't matter if he is going to use a graphic tablet, a pencil, a pen or whatever.
However you're just trolling so who cares.

>> No.1640186

How often do you use Ctrl+Z?

>> No.1640187

>>1640186
Very often. It's really useful.

>> No.1640189

What's a cool way to practice perspective? I'm thinking of just drawing from interior design photos. Dunno of anything else that could be fun.

>> No.1640193
File: 34 KB, 550x412, i-love-this-art-deco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640189
it's pretty fun to do deco statues

>> No.1640209

>>1640186
I even remapped ctrl+z to ctrl+L so I can reach it easier.

>> No.1640214

>>1640189

spaceships!

>> No.1640216

>>1640189
Invent some fantasy architecture

>> No.1640235

What do you use to erase fine strokes in places where you dont have much space?(on the paper, and you don't want to erase anything else of your drawing but you need to clean it up somehow).

>> No.1640237
File: 43 KB, 436x385, jagged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1639968
Can anyone help me solve this problem :(

things i've done: delete wacom settings, recognition on, double click low
In photoshop, disabled graphics processer... and increased its cpu to very high.

I have no idea why this is happening, my system is more than capable... pfft, i just wanna draw, so much technical nonsense to deal with.

>> No.1640242

>>1640237
>so much technical nonsense to deal with.

only for some people. it works fine for me. my photoshop version sucks though.

anyway, what system are you using. from which company? i think there may be some problems with dell computers or some shit

>> No.1640387

>>1640235
Dough eraser works alright.
Or pencil erasers, pencil with eraser instead of lead.

>> No.1640390

>>1640387
>pencil with eraser instead of lead.

i didn't know this exists.
thanks

>> No.1640396

how do i draw hands, like closed fist etc

this is killing me

>> No.1640397

How's this style of painting called? The kids and the demons on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JEi6kZdXo0

>> No.1640424

>>>/g/39869107
We really don't appreciate this. Is this considered acceptable behavior on this board? What did we ever do to you?

>> No.1640427

>>1640424
stfu. implying single actions of a person have anything to do with a board.
fuck off to 9fag you fucking 12 year old

>> No.1640428

>>1640424
welcome to /ic/ you piece of shit

>> No.1640430

>>>/g/39869107
Please keep your craziest to yourself.

Love, /g/.

>> No.1640433

/g/ here.
I am sorry for my faggots and your faggots.
It's probably a single person making these posts anyway. Just ignore and move on.

>> No.1640453

>>1640424

TIL /ic/ is le 1 person :3

>> No.1640479

>>1640237
Try running services.msc as an administrator. Make sure photoshop is closed. Stop the WacomISD service, wait a bit, start the service back up. Wait a bit, and launch photoshop.

If that didn't help, then you should delete the wacom settings, uninstall the wacom (and any mentioning of tablets) from the device manager. Restart. Download and install the latest wacom driver. Restart. Test in photoshop.

I've had that problem come up every few months and that's how I fix it. Another symptom should be smooth lines in programs other than photoshop, like sketchbook pro.

>> No.1640506

Hi, a newbie here.

I'm planning to go through the Dynamic Sketching videos by Peter Han.

But I've been thinking, should I invest in a tablet, or instead buy the toned paper, markers, pigment liners, and gel pen?

I don't own a tablet at the moment so I think it could be a good investment instead of having to continuously buy art supplies.

Another question is that should I be going through Dynamic Sketching in the first place? I've read DotRSotB -> Fun with a pencil -> Perspective made Easy. Currently, I am going through the Vilppu Studio Drawing Manual videos, and I'm about to start watching the video on anatomy.

Perhaps the Dynamic Sketching videos are for more experienced drawers, as I can't even describe and recognize forms within the figures, which is what Vilppu is teaching.

Thanks, I'd apreciate it if anybody could answer.

>> No.1640520

I just obtained photoshop CS5, but I can't figure out 2 things.
I want the brush pressure sensitivity to be less. It seems there's a MASSIVE jump in line width between 1px and 2px alone, and anything larger is just fucking stupid.
Also, is there any way to blend without using the smudge tool? None of the brushes seem to do the same jobs as the ones in sai

>> No.1640525
File: 688 KB, 2352x1568, IMG_0019.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640506
This is the standard of figures I can produce in about 10-15 minutes.

>> No.1640537

Here's a tough one:

How can I train myself to know when to stop working on a piece?

>> No.1640583

>>1640506
>I don't own a tablet at the moment so I think it could be a good investment instead of having to continuously buy art supplies.

Wait before buying a tablet. If you want to save money just buy craft paper. That pen he suggests is pretty good though and I think you should buy it.

>Another question is that should I be going through Dynamic Sketching in the first place?

I think they're accessible videos for everyone. But don't follow a schematic mentality in your learning process.

>> No.1640586

Anyone here ever tried their hand at storyboarding?

>> No.1640587

>>1640583
what pen is that?

>> No.1640592

>>1640537
Set an arbitrary deadline, or stop when it looks like what you envisioned.

If it isn't working, don't be afraid to just throw it away entirely and start over/move on. The amount of time invested in a piece goes not give it any inherent value.

>> No.1640596

>>1640587
Steadtler fine liners

>> No.1640597

>>1640587

Staedtler Pigment liner Fineliner 0.3mm

He has a set that goes from 0.1 to 0.7 and he says to not go above

But he says he uses most of the time the 0.3 and sometimes 0.5 and rarely only for details the 0.1
0.7 for the darks

and:

Uni-ball Signo Broad UM-153 Gel Ink Pen - White Ink

and Prismacolor Markers or Blick Markers

>> No.1640605

>>1640597
So I'm buying:

Copic Sketch W7, Warm Gray 7

Daler Rowney Earthbound A4 Spiral Cachet Sketchbook

Staedtler pigment liner

How does that sound?

The Earthbound sketchbooks are toned I think

>> No.1640610

>>1640605

Oh yeah, and the
Copic Ciao Marker, W3N Warm Grey

>> No.1640617

Ok guys, so I've been improving in trad. drawing for the past month with fundamentals and decided it was a good time to use my tablet again... holy shit, i finally got used to a loose grip and now i find it impossible to operate the pen unless it's a tight death grip, not only that but the precision i felt I had learnt was completely redundant and was struggling to do basic linework/shading.

Any advice or do you get used to it? I feel like i'm back to square one...

>> No.1640645

>>1640617

Just use only the tablet and in about two weeks you're going to be fine with it.
Remember to not look at your hand. Focus on your monitor.

>> No.1640651

I am trying to find a way to study perspective. I have studied it many times before and know most of the basic rules, but I always feel like I need to do so again before I can use it. When should I start applying it? I guess I am stuck on which aspect of perspective I should spend more time adhering to, the conceptual or technical one. Should I just set up 2-3 point grids and try to draw inside them? Or use informed measurements to map out the canvas? I hope my question makes sense.

>> No.1640656

I haven't practiced in a week and I feel all numb. How do I get the feeling back.

>> No.1640693

Fucking cylinders, how they work?

>> No.1640697

>>1640651

this question implies that there is one thing to do that is better than others. You have to ask yourself: what I would like to recreate? A house? A street full of buildings? A room with furniture? etc... And then: just do it!

>> No.1640699

>>1640656

warm up drawing lines, curves, circles for at least 20 minutes

>> No.1640725

>2014
>not using Krita

Anyway is there some kind of stroke stabilizer in photshop ?

>> No.1640746

>>1640725

lazykumi plugin

or laizumi

lazykami

some shit like that i don't know i'm not a cumguzzling pathetic faggot wimp who needs a stabilizer plugin. HAHAHA

>pointandlaugh.jpeg

>> No.1640751

>>1640699

I ended up warming up by drawing wonky anatomy but got the feeling back after a dozen or so attempts. Thanks though, that might save me the trouble in the future.

I was afraid there for a second, I thought I went totally to shit.

>> No.1640754

anyone here draw on tablets
if yes, which app did you use
only for black and white forget te colors detail

>> No.1640758

>>1640754
oh i forget
which tablet did you use
lenovo, samsung or a chinese

>> No.1640800

does anyone here know any good literature for learning fabric and clothing?

>> No.1640863

>draw thread is RIP
>req threads everywhere
>shitposts/legitimate-underageb&/newfags/hobbyist
>no /ic/ virtuoso
>no talent
What is happening?

>> No.1640873

>>1640863

everyone leaves after they reach a certain level of skill. catbib and tehmeh are relics, god knows what keeps them coming back.

>> No.1640879
File: 6 KB, 200x200, 1390322501525.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640863
I'll be /ic/'s bright and shining future when I get good, I promise. Just give me like 5 more years.

>> No.1640886

>>1640879
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLamhmCYwX4

>> No.1640919

>>1640746
It's lazynezumi

>> No.1640971
File: 127 KB, 368x450, 122015461_unitinu3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any way to have photoshop reflect your image while working with it?

Kind of like the way this picture is

>> No.1640977

>>1640971
Image > rotate/flip horizontally

>> No.1640989
File: 24 KB, 200x200, uu8o6ei.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640879

>> No.1640990

>>1640989
nice

>> No.1640993

>>1640989
lel'd

Just keep on practicing you marvelous fucker you

>> No.1641082

I need a pen that works fine on normal paper. I am currently using a Copic Multiliner and the problem is that the pen soaks in too much of the color and the lines end up looking unclean.

Any recommendations?
Preferably black, 0.3 thickness(or whatever it's called)

>> No.1641083

>>1640977

he meant while painting like ton of other applications do

>> No.1641088

how do you sketch on a small canvas and still make it readable? i went to 1k x 700 and still cant get my sketches to look good

>> No.1641091

Does anyone else here have a love hate relationship with art? I just had one of those moments where you notice six hours went by in a flash.

>> No.1641092

>>1641088
you don't

>> No.1641094

>>1641091
I love the timewarp effect, do you not like it or something? The only downside is I check the time and realize I should probably go to sleep, but here I am on 4chan instead. Maybe I'll go to bed in a bit... I do have several pieces due tomorrow....

>> No.1641101

>>1641094
I mean I do love the timewarp effect, when you're really caught up trying to make something look right and you're just fiddling with it for hours. I hate the other side to it, when you're just frustrated and everything comes out like dog shit.

>> No.1641103

>>1641101
Gotta make a lot of shit to get to the good stuff man, keep at it. Personally I get over the frustrated stuff by doing a lot of small quick sketches, eventually I stumble on something I like and I work on that for a while. It clears my head and I either keep with that piece or go back to what I was working on before I got frustrated.

>> No.1641189
File: 37 KB, 280x280, 1390829201963.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's this type of artwork.
It's the only example I can find, cause I don't know what the fuck it's called.

>> No.1641201

>>1641189
Stencil

>> No.1641203
File: 55 KB, 605x489, Housefire (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1641101
>I mean I do love the timewarp effect

I hate it when I'm cooking and I start to draw something.

>> No.1641230
File: 19 KB, 849x630, a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you make "realistic" lava in MSPaint?

>> No.1641236

>>1641230
you don't, why would you?

>> No.1641250
File: 2.43 MB, 2044x1380, Untitled-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What kind of materials should you use for value drawings in pencil? Also just general tips for making value studies? Pic is a few drawings I did in a regular yellow no. 2 pencil. It's obviously not ideal especially for shading large areas, but but I'd like to know what I should use if I want to have somewhat detailed drawings and, at the same times, be able to shade large general areas when I need to.

thanks for any help

>> No.1641264

>>1641250

if you're looking to do studies on regular paper then graphite is what you should be using, which you are so that's good.
look into getting a woodless graphite pencil or a stick of graphite

i'd say get maybe a woodless graphite pencil that's 4b - 6b. any softer and you'll run into a lot of issues with smudging. i'd say a 4b would probably be the best just because regular paper is so white already you don't really need to go absurdly dark like you could achieve with a 6b.

for value studies try to make sure you have a darkest dark and a lightest light, as well as everything in the middle.a woodless graphite pencil when properly sharpened will have a side that's slightly flat which will give you the ability to apply value to a large surface quickly and a point which will let you do more detailed work

if you've got anymore questions i'm happy to try to answer them

>> No.1641276

>>1641264
thanks! i guess that pretty much covers what i wanted to know.

maybe a silly question, but can i still use regular old pencil sharpeners with a woodless graphite pencil? and is a kneaded eraser fine for these drawings?

>> No.1641316
File: 1.42 MB, 450x253, shocked.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>try squinting
>doesn't do anything
>one day wiping glasses
>look up at monitor and see masses of tone, and how badly i fucked up
>mfw

Is that the whole point of squinting? Only problem is i cant define edges but i was able to fix value without my glasses on with absolute ease... felt almost like cheating.

>> No.1641325

>>1641276
yes and yes. i would recommend you also getting a white eraser

>> No.1641329

What is a putty eraser for? I have one but I don't know what to do with it.

Also what is the best eraser for preciseness?

>> No.1641331

>>1641316
That is the purpose of squinting, yes.

>> No.1641337

>>1641329
>What is a putty eraser for?
Moulding into the shape you need.

>> No.1641377

>>1638510
what exactly is this image trying to say?
Do I learn things in this order or do I just work at them bit by bit all at once?

>> No.1641407

>>1641377
I think you misunderstood. In general, yes, you learn things naturally, and the order in which you do so may differ from someone else.

What the image is trying to say, however, is that if you're trying to make a creative (i.e. simplified, stylized or exaggerated) representation of something that exists in real life, it is most practical to study it in real life and figure out how it works (in this case, a human figure), and then freely modify and deform it as you wish. And in order to do *that* in the most practical way, you have to learn things about drawing from a purely *technical* point of view to give context to what you're doing.

For example, perspective drawing, in the sense of just drawing geometric shapes in perspective (not from life) is a necessary way to start building a foundation of the concept itself, that is, how it affect real life subjects. You then study from life and observe these effects with the now acquired concept of perspective to give context to what you're learning.

tl;dr yes you do work at them bit by bit at once, but there is a logical and practical way of *thinking* about the nature of what you're doing that will dictate how you approach it. Don't get too wrapped up in it anon, it doesn't matter what order you study from life and make creative decisions in, as long as you're indeed doing both.

the "logical process" is something you do subconsciously.

>> No.1641440
File: 118 KB, 800x1301, 342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know what to call this type of clothing/armor? The one that I highlighted.

I'm trying to design an armor and I particularly like that part of armor. Anyone know what to call it so I can grab real life reference?

>> No.1641445

>>1641440
erotic upper leather-coat

>> No.1641461

>>1641440
>I'm trying to design an armor and I particularly like that part of armor. Anyone know what to call it so I can grab real life reference?
mmo armour

>> No.1641464

>>1641440
Seductive Leather MMO erotica coat armour

>> No.1641466

all sources say "don't use scratchy lines, use long strokes"

yet every experienced person on here has scratchy sketch lines on their work and also in critiquing people.

I been trying and for the life of me i can't draw a perfect(ish) circle for the life of me in one stroke. do i just keep at it?

>> No.1641467

>>1641466
>I been trying and for the life of me i can't draw a perfect(ish) circle for the life of me in one stroke. do i just keep at it?
It's not something you keep doing, get right, then move on.
You work on line quality along with art.

>> No.1641471
File: 175 KB, 929x939, sketching_by_catbib-d718a2j.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1641466
>yet every experienced person on here has scratchy sketch lines on their work and also in critiquing people.
what is catbib

>> No.1641478

chicken scratch means lack of line confidence dumpkoffs

>> No.1641498

>>1641471
>catbib

oh god, that's beautiful.

thanks for restore my faith in my future

>> No.1641525

When i'm drawing my absolute favorite pencils are short ones (1/3 to 1/2 size), they just feel comfortable and easy to use in my hands... and way easier to manipulate than a full-sized pencil.

Is it a bad habit? Imagine a loose grip of a full pencil but upwards (where it would hit the palm near thumb) If it is, i'll try and stop using that grip.

>> No.1641529

>>1641440

Try searching video gem wiki, maybe that armor is part of the lore? lel

>> No.1641530

>>1641471
It's loose, but I won't call that scratchy.

>> No.1641531

>>1641466

They mean to not make messy lines, like tracing a lot of little lines hoping that one of them will be the right one.

>> No.1641534
File: 81 KB, 500x500, wesburt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1641466
i think ic get's this mixed up with animu lines and chicken scratch. sketches should be lose a few lines long to define a form is fine it's when you break up those lines you start to have a problem.

>> No.1641576

>>1641530
that's what he's saying

>> No.1641660

Is there some sort of online wooden doll to help with posing, etc?
The same for lighting?

>> No.1641667

If I chose Krita instead of Photoshop, for drawing only, do I really lose something?

>> No.1641678

>>1641667

On Windows is unstable.

>> No.1641682
File: 554 KB, 1800x1196, 1358090146300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Already checked stick but is there a site that has timed skeleton poses.
Similar to pixelovely?
Thanks.

>> No.1641684

>>1641678
Oh. I'll try it still, but thanks for the heads up.
Any free alternative?
Also what I wanted to know is what do you really lose with a free software compared to Photoshop, if you simply want to draw, brushes and layers, no fancy things.

>> No.1641731

>>1641684

I don't know on Windows because I use Linux. Mypaint is available on Windows too, but I don't know how good it is.
If you want to try Linux on a partition I suggest to install http://manjaro.org/

About brushes these are the ones I prefer:
http://www.pcazorla.com/2014/01/15/cazu-brush-collection-v2-for-krita/

>> No.1641733

>>1641731
>but I don't know how good it is.

I mean I don't know how good it is on Windows and how recent its their version

>> No.1641786

>>1641682
Doubt one exists. If you do manage to find skeleton poses at all, you could always save them all to a folder, then use some image viewing program with a built-in slideshow to produce the same thing. IrfanView has a slideshow function if you're looking for a free program.

>> No.1641826

>>1641786
Gotcha. I was just hoping.

>> No.1641868

Right at this point I am learning to draw from the shoulder.
For best results, how should I go about it?
Should I first focus solely on drawing from the shoulder and devote most of my time to that?
Or should I just continue learning but from now on drawing only from the shoulder?

>> No.1641873

>>1641868
just keep going but draw from the shoulder, if you can draw bigger. it becomes automatic after a while.

>> No.1641875

>>1638428
Drawing from observation. Personally when I learn something technical I like to apply whatever it is to studies from life. At least initially. Besides which just drawing from life will work wonders for your hand and your eye.

>> No.1642209

When I draw on a graphic tablet do I have to keep the elbow fixed on the table or up in the air?

When you draw with the shoulder do you mean that the entire arm must stay straight and rigid like I'm using a compass?

>> No.1642218

should I design constricted by function, logic, timeline or should I follow those minimally and let my taste, preference ,unbound by logic and timeline take precedence?

what do you guys prefer as workflow?

>> No.1642227

>>1641525
pls guys

>> No.1642228

Ok, so I draw gesture practice on a small scale, like 1/5 of an a5 page or something and drilled into myself to use shoulder ... but on such a small scale is it even possible? i fuck up every gesture but realised im not using the same medium as these guys using a3 full page paper.. opinion?

>> No.1642231

>>1642228
There are people without arms who draw and paint with their mouth and feet and still produce decent results.
How you hold your pencil or what part of your arm you draw from aren't rules set in stones. Try to follow the suggestions of the pros, but do whatever you're comfortable with according to what the situation demands.

>> No.1642234

You know those young teeny boppers who learnt to draw exclusively in digital w/ tablet (and became good), do they usually suck at traditional drawing?

It doesn't seem like a two-way street, trad to digital is fine but the other way round you don't draw the same way.

>> No.1642240

>>1641082
bump

>> No.1642248

>>1642234

It depends how you use it. If you depend too much on ctrl+z, layers, stabilizer, zoom in etc... it will be difficult on paper because you won't have all these crutches.

But if you draw on a tablet like you're drawing on paper and you get good it will be easier then to draw on paper.

I suggest to use both so you won't depend on a specific tool.

>> No.1642544

Is drawing the basis for everything you do in art?
Like if you wanted to be a painter, do you first have to learn how to draw?

>> No.1642557

I've gotten stuck in an infinite loop of doing sketches and studies, rather than doing any finished pieces. I only draw, and it's been far too long since I actually tried painting or studying composition and color.

How do I get out of this hellhole.

>> No.1642556

>>1642544
drawing is the basis for being able to represent something with dimensions and 3d aspects you desire or specify. drawing is not necessarily a prerequisite for everything in art, but if you want to be able to generate an image that someone else will be able to look at and be able to identify it and get a sense of what it's doing/saying, yeah it pretty much is a requisite.

in other words drawing is a skill needed for any *representational* art. there are different kinds of drawing and different styles for different purposes and all that, but all in all good drawing skills can only benefit you in art.

>> No.1642558

>>1642544
That depends if you want to be a good painter

>> No.1642575

I've been watching tutorials, videos, guides, paints etc nonstop.... hoping to amass knowledge before i put pen to paper.... a-am i procrastinating?

>> No.1642578

>>1642544
Yes, it is the core of 2D representational art.

>> No.1642579
File: 57 KB, 480x640, Gesture_Drawing_by_overcome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When people say "don't draw the contour, draw the motion" in gesture drawing, what do they mean exactly?

What if they're just sitting? or standing? Am I supposed to focus on the overall pose or some meta-concept of their next action?

>> No.1642580

>>1642575
All knowledege is good. But for me the ideal way is to first have a very very basic knowledge of what you are about to attempt,
then after you attempt it, either on your own or with the help of others, realize your mistakes and then try to solve them.
Reading three different books on gesture is not exactly productive. But if you have to watch or read all that material at least
try to draw along and copy what you see.

>> No.1642584

>>1642579
>What if they're just sitting? or standing?
Draw the weight. Draw the tension in muscles, and the contraction in the opposing muscles. Draw how the eye flows through the figure.

Try enacting the pose yourself - where does your weight lie? Where's your center of gravity? Which muscles are straining and which are relaxed?

I suggest watching the Vilppu videos, the Proko videos, reading Hampton, etc. Ultimately, it does come down to practice, and it could take years before you properly understand it.

>> No.1642586

>>1642209
>When I draw on a graphic tablet do I have to keep the elbow fixed on the table or up in the air?
Depends if I'm doing small detail work or not. Generally I keep my elbow free, as it allows you to use your whole arm to draw.

>When you draw with the shoulder do you mean that the entire arm must stay straight and rigid like I'm using a compass?
No. Drawing from the shoulder means involving the shoulder, not using exclusively the shoulder. It's really mostly shoulder + elbow movement to create large lines. The wrist and fingers stay fixed (but not clenched or tight!).

>> No.1642589

>>1642218
Depends on the assignment and what you're aiming for. If you want something believable, then you need to do the necessary research to ground designs to what exists in reality, be it anatomy, structures, machines, etc. It is possible to make something with sound logic and great design, it just takes practice learning both.

>> No.1642596

>>1641525
>Imagine a loose grip of a full pencil but upwards (where it would hit the palm near thumb)
That seems like an unusual grip if I'm imagining it correctly. Ask yourself if there's excess strain or fatigue on the hand or wrist. Check if your wrist is in the neutral position (as if you were wearing a wrist brace) during the entire time drawing. If these are in place you're probably fine.

I'd still look up drawing grips and try those out too.

>> No.1642619

>>1638578
>I'm on my first with 'The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' right now. The problems with this thing became immediately apparent, but I'm already 1/3 of the way through since the .PDF is only 315 pages long so fuck it.
That shit got me psyched to properly study from observation back in high school, so it wasn't a total loss. But I got a bunch more tangible and applicable info on the topic from Keys to Drawing. So you might try that.

>> No.1642627

Why do I get so ridiculously bored when watching Vilppu's Drawing Manual ?

>> No.1642643

how do i get courage to do gesture drawings? they all say you'll get better but i keep trying and my drawings come out wacky ;_;

its so depressing

>> No.1642659

>>1642627
You probably rack disciprine.

You can try upping the playback speed in VLC to 1.2 or 1.3 if that helps.

>> No.1642680
File: 60 KB, 600x384, perspectiva_67755.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you make a 90º looking building corner, as in pic? I mean, I think I understand how perspective works, but can't figure out which angle would look realistic. I am currently reading a few books, so please don't tell me to read another one, I just want to know this particular thing.

>> No.1642692

>>1642680
Not a pro on the topic but i think any two lines crossing will make it look 90 degrees, as you are always depicting boxes that way. Thats the point of perspective. I think you didnt really get it. Or i am the one who is completely off

>> No.1642698

>>1642692
I mean, if you project two lines from both vanishing point, and draw a vertical line where they cross, and then connect the vanishing points with any point of that vertical line, you should get an object which always has 90degree corners

>> No.1642715
File: 3 KB, 289x361, teejjtek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1642692
>>1642698

Maybe, but those don't look 90º to me.

>> No.1642720

I come from moviemaking. How do you deal with "focal lenghts", the deformations that occur? How does it work, how do I know what kind of perspective to set if I want a wide angle, very wide angle, etc? Not sure if clear.

>> No.1642729

>>1642715
You just put the vanishing points too close i think. It should be 90 degree, just with a really extreme camera angle.

>> No.1642736

>>1642729

Ok, then, how can I make angles that are >90 or <90?

>> No.1642841

Is there a better book that Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention for explaining head proportions? I found it confusing because it says to measure out all the proportions by starting with the brow, but it doesn't really tell me how to find the brow. Or really capture any particular likeness of the person you're drawing.
IDK I'm nauseous and tired and my fat little brother has been hogging the bathroom for the last hour and I need to bathe. HALP

>> No.1642856

>>1642736
Basically, the further you put your VPs, the more obtuse the angle will appear. The closer, the more acute. Keep studying.

>> No.1642858

How long should it take to get used to using a tablet?
I've been using traditional drawing tools for so long and recently I decided to try digital. It gives lots of options to polish drawings and all that, but I've only been practicing with it for 3 days and I find it hard to focus on what I'm drawing since I am so used to looking at the page as I work.

>> No.1642867

I heard around here that ProkoTV was good for beginners.

...Where do I even start with his videos? Which do I skip?

>> No.1642868

>>1642856

Yeah, I know, but according to
>>1642692
>>1642698
it should always represent a 90º corner, indepently of where I set the VPs, so I was asking what should I do in order to draw a different angled corner.

>> No.1642888

>>1642867
They're pretty much all good. Just watch the playlists in their entirety.

>> No.1642932

>>1642867
>Which do I skip?
all of them, and that goes for Vilppu or Hampton or Feng Jew or whatever snake oil merchant happens to be in fashion
if you take even a tenth of the time you spend fantasizing about using a pencil actually using a pencil then you'll pick up the vast majority of that "sage" advice peddled to you in books and videos through practical experience

>> No.1642935

>>1642932

feng jew? lolwhat. he doesn't deserve that.

>> No.1642944
File: 173 KB, 722x1000, Yoshikage Kira.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1638423
When I draw something from observation, do I have to apply construction drawing and shapes? Or I have to draw just the contour and then fill the rest with values?
Also, how can I learn foreshortening and projecting?

>> No.1642958
File: 92 KB, 573x364, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Right?!

>> No.1642959

>>1642958
is that from the art confession tumblr

>> No.1642961
File: 181 KB, 640x1136, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1642959
No, I saw it on Facebook earlier. I guess I shoulda excluded the picture with it.

>> No.1642962

>>1642961
No rules, just tools.
If she wants to cripple her own drawing ability then fine.

>> No.1642966

>>1642944

It's good practice to ALWAYS use construction lines and do a gestural sketch and under drawing before going into any details or contours. Doing this is setting up a process that you go through for everything (even things that are not people) and allows you to simplify and therefore lay everything out correctly BEFORE you spend hours on it and then realize that you fucked up somewhere early on and now have a lot of fixing to do.

On a funny note, you can learn foreshortening by practicing with simple constructions and shapes....

>> No.1642971

Does anyone know of any free animation software similar to Flash or Toon Boom that doesn't watermark every frame?

Software discussion is fine here, right?

>> No.1642975

>>1642961
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that the main subject matter this person illustrates is eyes and flowers and they're in highschool, right?

>> No.1643000

>>1642971
Any video editor that allows to insert 60+ frames per second would work.

>> No.1643045

>>1642975
Yes, you're exactly right. Had her in one of my classes a long time ago. Nothing but flowers came from her.

>> No.1643056

>>1642944

>>"Have to"

Eeeeeeeeehhh....

>> No.1643081

How do y'all put up with commissions?
I got asked to draw a memorial tattoo and the idea is just fucking stupid. When I drew it out, it looked stupid. It is fucking retarded. Errybody liked it, it was perfect, awesome, you name it, I recieved that compliment over this piece of fucking shit. I can't help but feel so frustrated and I'm not 100% sure why. I fucking hate this stupid design and everybody thinks it's amazeballs. What do?

>> No.1643084

>>1643081
>Did you get paid?

>If yes, Great! If no, make sure you get paid, and get a contract next time stipulating payment to ensure you don't put in time for nothing in return

>Now consider if you want to do this again and again and again, doing commissions is about getting paid. You deliver what the client wants. If you can afford to be picky about your clients go for it, but in the beginning I'd recommend taking all the work you can get so you can build a network and slowly raise your rates and improve your skills.

>If you can't stand the feeling that everyone is willing to throw money at you for what you feel is a piece of shit get out of the commissions game and start trying to be some other kind of artist.

>Be prepared to make much less money for a while compared to if you kept taking commissions (assuming you get a decent amount of work currently)

>> No.1643089

>>1643056
Explain yourself

>> No.1643091

>>1642944

I'm poking fun at their use of "have to". As though there was a set way to succeed at drawing, as though success in drawing was that cut and dry.

>> No.1643092

>>1643089
I believe they are making a reference to the fact that you don't "have to" do anything. In the same grade school fashion as someone correcting you asking if you can use the bathroom... "I don't know, can you?"

>> No.1643099

>>1643092

Less grade school, and more the fact that you don't HAVE to follow a set procedure like that. It's not like if you don't do your construction line first it just isn't going to happen.

In courses, we always did block in/construction, then contours, then shade in- but only for a few weeks, and if I did that now every time I'd lose my goddamn mind.

My point was that there isn't a right way to do it. Sounded funny the way they worded it.

>> No.1643101

is copying for study bad?

>> No.1643108

>>1641316
Oh, that actually is a real technique? I always squint to blend out the details and see the general color/shape of something.

>> No.1643170

>>1638423
How can I blend/draw soft shadows in paper with a drawing pencil?

>> No.1643176
File: 110 KB, 735x681, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can somebody give me an example on how to draw bodybuilder's gesture?
Proko talks about simplifying the figure to a "fluid" mannequin, but I don't know if I should omit all the muscles and just draw a "slim" mannequin, so I'm afraid I would get problems with the proportions and construction latter in the process.

>> No.1643187
File: 480 KB, 750x1914, sluggy progression.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1639960
that's what pete abrams did. his early stuff was chicken scratchy, flat, misproportioned and ugly, but he got better. pic related.

>> No.1643199

>>1640186
dear god, all the time. i was doing a sketch for work yesterday and put a weld symbol in the wrong place and i instinctively tried to hit undo and got confused for a split second because, well it was a piece of paper.

had to erase part of my sketch to get the little fucker out. i hate not having ctrl z.

>> No.1643200

>>1643176
Just follow the spine, and bones, these don't change regardless of how much muscle/fat a person has.

>> No.1643201

>>1643187
That's not very impressive improvement for 14 years.

>> No.1643213

>>1641230
it's a hidden feature. go to the upper right corner of the window. there's a big red button with an x. click that. now go to the bottom left of your screen. there's a button that says start. Click that and find a button that says "Photoshop" in the popup.

Click on that and you'll have all kinds of tools that will help you make lava.

>>1641440
the part on her hips is called a fauld. The part around her neck is a gorget. The way they're connected is an unusual thing that I'm not sure even actually exists outside of fantasy games. Just something the designer thought was cool I guess.

>>1641660
Manga studio has a posable puppet. I don't think it helps with lighting though. There's also an android app called pose tool that does also do lighting.

>>1642841
you use the hampton head as a starting point. then to capture likeness you take note of how the proportions of the particular model's features differ from the generic head and draw them that way.

>> No.1643224

is anyone using porn sites for reference material? are there any one worth recommending?

>> No.1643226

>>1643224

I think this could help

http://hdporncompilation.com/aurielee-summers-and-malena-morgan-love-each-other/

>> No.1643230

>>1643226
actually was more looking for pictures

so you got the idea:
body proportions: www.czechcasting.com
gesture: metart.com
etc

>> No.1643235
File: 7 KB, 1339x542, bwgwb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I turn this pixelated pic into a more hand-drawn looking one

>> No.1643242

what drugs will help me git gud

im taking caff 300mg ltheanine 200mg, boosts my focus can watch villppu 10x in a row, pirecetam, raceram, choline in my breakfast, protein shake, hand excersiser with sterioid to keep me hand strong for drawing, canabis, cocaine, marjuina, weed, paracetemol, vitamicn c, vitamin d... what else can i take?

>> No.1643260

>>1643235

is that whoopi goldberg?

>> No.1643262

>>1643242

inject trenbolone acetate into your eyeballs.

>> No.1643265

>>1643235
inkscape should be able to do that, but probaly needs some afterwork

http://inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

>> No.1643342

For life drawing and still lives, is it good to learn how to use charcoal, or should I just stick to using a draftsman pencil since that's what I'm good with?

>> No.1643410

how small of details do you switch to your wrist?

am i supposed to be moving my whole arm on something an inch long?

>> No.1643420

>>1643410
Do what's comfortable without inducing undue strain on your hand or wrist. If after a few hours of drawing with regular stretching breaks you find that your wrist hurts, then you need to use your whole arm more often.

>> No.1643421

>>1643342
It's good to vary up mediums so that you can experiment and learn new things that you can apply to other tools. Charcoal is fun to work with, and it allows you to lay down more 'brush-like' strokes and large areas of tone much easier than a pencil. You do not need to learn how to use it, but it would likely expand the way you think about mark making.

>> No.1643422

should a newbie practice by making completed, but shitty, pieces or just grinding fundamentals for a few months?

>> No.1643434

>>1643422
>should a newbie practice by making completed, but shitty, pieces or just grinding fundamentals for a few months?

a few months? haha

however don't spend too much time on a single piece if you're a beginner.

>> No.1643443

>you should be able to do everything with a circle brush at maximum opacity and no jitter
why do people keep saying this?

>> No.1643452

>>1643443
>circle brush at maximum opacity
Newer artists tend to place too much importance on the rendering stage (the polish), and not enough on the basic modeling of forms (the block-in). Using elaborate/complicated brushes, they tend to prioritize surface polish over solid modeling. This leads to the 'turd polishing' that commonly occurs.

The other argument is that you need to learn to use the most basic variant of a tool before trying to get fancy with texture brushes that they see the pros use. When pros do use texture brushes, it's in the interest of saving time. They are fully capable of producing comparable results (even the polish) using basic brushes.

>> No.1643453

>>1643443
Because Feng says it in one of his videos.

I disagree with the no round brush, 100% opacity thing, because nearly all traditional media produce texture, and some you can vary the darkness through pressure (like pencils). The round brush is very useful though, but it's not the only way to use photoshop.

>> No.1643454

>>1643422
Bringing a shitty piece to completion doesn't help too much in terms of learning - I'd prioritize ironing out the fundamentals through life studies and doing lots of drawing and invention from imagination. There's little to gain by polishing a piece that has a weak base. In the same amount of time, you could learn a lot more only going as far as the block-in for original pieces.

As you're grasp of the fundamentals get better, you should slowly increasing the amount of original work you do, and only bring them to a finish if everything is 'correct'.

>> No.1643463

>>1643454
>block-in
I don't really understand this term, care to explain?

>> No.1643498
File: 179 KB, 1216x1280, 133564485.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1643463
The block-in are the base brush strokes, where the main concern is getting shape, value and color (if applicable) correct. The rendering would be the next step of polish, where you refine edges, introduce texture and surface polish, and add in finer details. Pic related.

Back to my original post from the previous post, if you're a beginner you won't gain much from the polish/later rendering stage of an original painting, because chances are the base drawing and block-in are incorrect anyway. In the early stages, there's more to learn from the block-in than the polish. Eventually, as your foundational skills solidify, there's a bunch to learn for the polishing stage.

>> No.1643501

>>1643498
Thank you very much, that was very informative!

>> No.1643557

Good hand eye coordination exercises?
I also heard playing fps vidya helps, is that true?

>> No.1643612

I think I'm at a still level where I can sell my art, and I want to start doing commissions. However I've got no clue how to go about networking or how to start getting work. Is it at simple as making a tumblr and spamming it with art as some anons have said? I've created a tumblr but I've yet to do anything with it because I can't decide if it should be NSFW or not. I've heard drawing porn on tumblr can be lucrative, but can also screw you over and close your account at a whim.

>TL;DR
Can anyone with some experience give me some tips on networking and starting monetization of my art?

>> No.1643621

Can someone name great artists who started later in their life? My friend is not even 30 and he's having doubts about his age and dedicating his life to art thinking it's too late for him

>> No.1643644

>>1643621
Brad Rigney.

IIRC, he's like 40 and he started 5-10 years ago.

>> No.1643647

>>1643612
>I've heard drawing porn on tumblr can be lucrative, but can also screw you over and close your account at a whim.

recently they changed the terms. Also yahoo apply a filter when you search on tumblr. If you don't unlock search results all the porn won't appear.

However if your work is good and you tag it sooner or later people will reblog and will start to follow you

>> No.1643671

>>1643501

thank you for asking for elaboration on my behalf, lol.

>> No.1643699

>>1643621

What else is he going to dedicate his life to? Managing a Taco Bell?

>> No.1643710

>>1643557
>Good hand eye coordination exercises?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk

>I also heard playing fps vidya helps, is that true?
Doubt it. Different task entirely.

>> No.1643711

>>1643621
MindCandyMan. IIRC he started in his late 20s / early 30s.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

>> No.1643891

Last week I was drawing very well; able to place things 3 dimensionally, plot things out, etc.

This week, can't seem to comprehend objects in 3 dimensions. This normal? What the fuck did I do!?

>> No.1643892

>>1643711
he started at 23 to be exact but he got better mostly due to atelier.

>> No.1643895

>>1643892
23? you guys consider that old!? jesus christ that means i'm a relic.

>> No.1643897
File: 5 KB, 351x367, PencilGrip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to be a digital artist but I'm practicing on paper with Charcoal and Pencils first, you know, learning to draw before I digitally paint.. My lines are a complete fucking mess, I can draw sorta straight on paper but on tablet hoooollly shit NOPE, my active area is like 10x8.

I'm just wondering if I get to a point where I can draw really nice and clean lines/shapes on paper will it transfer over to my digital skills?

also, does anyone hold the tablet pen the same way Vilppu does?

>> No.1643899

>>1643897
nope, tablet is it's own learning curve... but fundamentals are fundamentals, you could draw with your shit and still produce something reasonable because you have an eye for proportion/composition etc.

>> No.1643902

>>1643897
Also another question about Vilppu's pencil grip, is it ok to hold the pencil like that if you're not drawing on a canvas and you're just drawing on a piece of paper on the table?

>> No.1643912

>>1643902
i think this technique is meant to be used for canvas, or at least an upright drawing surface.
the point of it is to use your shoulder while drawing and also using the pencil to measure proportions

>> No.1643930

I've been thinking about getting my work put on t-shirts and stickers. Is Redbubble legit?

>> No.1643948

should i even bother with drawing if as of now, with 21 years, i can barely draw more than stickfigures? am i kill already?

>> No.1643952

>>1643948
lolno, don't be a bitch and put in the hard work like everyone else has.

>> No.1643954

>>1643948
You can do it, but it's going to test your discipline and force you to grow as a person.

>> No.1643956

>>1643948
You just have to realize that you have to commit to a year or two of shitty drawings until you don't suck so much dick anymore.

>> No.1643961

Does anyone have any routines to follow for getting better line work?

I'm currently studying L-loomis and anatomy but my linework is just so bad.

>> No.1644013

How do I into value studies using pencil?

>> No.1644015

>>1643956
>>1643954
>>1643952
yeah i guess i just have to man it up and invest more time into it.

>> No.1644048

is there any point in copying art now, or should i just use knowledge to construct shit?

i still cant make sexy shapes like the pros but can sorta construct a generic head after lengthy construction :/

>> No.1644094

>>1643961

>>1643710 . Also try gesture drawing using as few lines as possible.

>> No.1644308

Is there any way I can connect a regular tablet (not a drawing one) to my pc, so I can draw on it? It would be even better if I could see what I'm drawing on the tablet itself (like a cintiq), but I don't think that is possible.

>> No.1644331

>>1644308

Also, how would the zoom work on a tablet (or even a cintiq)? I mean, I usually zomm with control+scrollwheel, and I know that you can bind buttons to functions like zooming in and out, but, if you are not using a mouse... where would the zoom focus?

>> No.1644513

For a beginner, is it a good idea to put everything in simple boxes for perspective first? Or should I just train to feel the perspective right without that?
Also, what's the general order used when you sketch? Gesture/perspective lines/boxes?

>> No.1644555

so for the last couple of months I've just been doing figure drawing on pixelovely. I want to get a sense of drawing from life now. Be it people or just lamps or fruit and shit with perspective.
Where do I start? Is there anything I should keep in mind aside from the rules of perspective? Is there some reading material I should glance at while practicing? (Currently watching a ctrl+paint series on linear perspective, read Perspective Made Easy by Norling some time ago.)

>> No.1644599
File: 75 KB, 1366x726, 1391138758768.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not really sure if this should be here, but...
It is my first time using flash, and I got carried away from I was trying to learn, and started drawing instead of animating. The problem is that the brush size is now locked, and I don't know why... Here's a screenshot, if it helps (It's in spanish, though)

You could also give opinions about my drawing, you know, for keeping it an Artwork/Critique board...

>> No.1644612

Is Flash the best beginner software for animation?
What dyou think about ToonBoom?

>> No.1644738
File: 1.01 MB, 260x187, 1346910928925.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, I'm very confused as to what my approach to drawing should be, in terms of how exactly I lay down lines and how I think about the subject. Particularly in terms of drawing from subject vs. drawing from imagination. I know that ideally you would draw confident, sweeping strokes and slowly, carefully build the structure of your subject, or environment or whatever it is. But when you're learning and aren't quite that good yet, that obviously won't be the case. So how do you decide how to approach a subject at that point? Or any drawing at all?

The way I see it, generally speaking there's two approaches, gesture drawings where you try and illustrate the motion or weight with as few lines as possible, and more "careful" drawings where you try to achieve accuracy and precision, such as a study. Am I supposed to just do both of these things and hope that some day they'll blend together and I'll be able to draw anything fairly confidently as long as I study it enough? And then how does all that fit into drawing from imagination, when it's like the whole process reversed?

I know this is an extremely broad question(s), but if anyone who thinks they understand what I desire to know and/or has achieved these skills wants to enlighten me, even just a little bit, I'd appreciate it so much. My mind is full of fuck trying to wrap my head around this.

>> No.1645130
File: 58 KB, 496x105, like these.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I draw spheres with contours like these from my mind? Is there any way to work out how the curves are? Or even just to visualise the curves - I'm tired of just guessing how they should look.

>> No.1645267

So there's a competition coming up. I am a very flaky person. I usually freeze up when someone asks me to do something. There is a dilemma in my mind. To answer the call of duty or to run and hide. I've always picked the latter. But this time I feel a strong urge to answer this time. I don't care if I don't win. It's for a band cover illustration.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would make a good album cover? And how not to be a complete snow flake?

>> No.1645277

>>1645130
Read up on ellipses my friend.

Semester 2 of the Marshal Vandruff perspective series will cover everything you need to know about circles and ellipses. A sphere in 2d is just a circle. Even in the example you provided the drawing is showing you ellipses being cut into the sphere.

>> No.1645282

>>1645277
Thanks, I'll do that, but some guy drew out his process of drawing spheres in the Loomis thread, which is exactly what I needed. I'll still go over the perspective series though, so thanks again.

>> No.1645385

>>1645282
>but
Like teal guy (the person who helped you in loomie thread) didn't know perspective and this guy's suggestion to you (learn perspective) isn't what you need. Total spoon feed.

>> No.1645388

>>1645282
ah i see what yoou're talking about, that looks like teal's handiwork.

I recommend you keep an eye out on the right angles. That is key in what you want to do. There is also a thread about ellipse drawing. Use the catalog/search features.

>> No.1645676

Is it likely tha someone can learn to draw by themseles

>> No.1645754

Should I get REALLY good at construction before trying to learn values and materials I'm a newbie painter?

>> No.1646446

I know there is a "trick" when animating speaking faces, which is to draw a few faces (about 9), each one for a specifical sound, instead of drawing every single sound the character is supposed to be saying. The problem is that I don't know how this method is called, neither the "group of sounds", or which letters they represent. I need to know how it's called, since I'm not a native english speaker, and so I will probably be animating in my language

>> No.1646932

How do I stop being spooked about drawing whole figures ?
I'm just 2spooped about doing something wrong and then killing myself with my tablet by accident.

>> No.1646954

>>1646932

Try to draw skellintons, you will get much better, since they are the spoopkiest thing for begginers

>> No.1646973

Guys how do I shade things like grass or hair

>> No.1647181

I just bought a bamboo create tablet and am now realizing that the drawing area is smaller than I thought. I have two options: keep the regular settings and get used to the brush moving ten inches for every half inch I move the actual pen, or map the screen area to match the drawing area and only be able to use about a quarter of the screen, relying heavily on pan and zoom functions. Which is preferable?

>> No.1647421

>>1642720
Sorry to bump, I just want to ask this one last time, just in case.

>> No.1647508

Where can I find that thread of contemporary figure painters that was on here a few months ago?