[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 37 KB, 499x665, tumblr_mz7g5etoPR1qllucco3_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1631746 No.1631746 [Reply] [Original]

Process talk, because I think /ic/ doesn't discuss it enough.

Do you sketch and build values under your sketch or start directly with values? Do you start with grayscale and only later go to color or start with color directly?

>> No.1631765

I sketch first and even for a study, I continue to sketch until I feel the flow of the piece I'm doing seems right then I build up with layers aka lineart and try to see if there are any errors. I want to try painting first like I see many artist do, but I'm not very familiar with the color scale a I am with gray scale.

>> No.1631777
File: 137 KB, 316x387, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631765
Yeah, that's what I do, except I'm starting to go with color right away. But the result I'm getting is too manga-ish, even if I erase the lineart it still feels stylized, like the related pic. I wanted to sketch with values right away, but I don't think I'm good enough yet.

>> No.1631792

>>1631777
Nice trips.

His cheekbones are feeling a little low, the eye further away is kind of getting squished, and there's something off about the forehead so I think there's some perspective on the face that's off somehow. Maybe it's the ear.

Your values are kind of light, too, so it might help to do an opaque, rough block-in to help prevent that since I'm getting the feeling you got a little bit distracted with making him look finished and getting those details in first.

As for my technique, it really depends on what kind of piece I'm doing. If it's a scene I like to start small with thumbnails, usually with big shapes and bold values. Sometimes rough line sketches if I'm having trouble with perspective. If it's not really a scene, but more focused on a figure, I always sketch them first.

>> No.1631807

>>1631792
Thanks Anon!

>> No.1631811 [DELETED] 

>Start with colors
>Directly use values

Makes me feel like I'm sculpting something , I've tried using lines but I'm horrid at it.

>> No.1631816
File: 81 KB, 762x1048, drawt3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Start with colors
>Directly use values
>Half-tone and shadows first.

Makes me feel like I'm sculpting something, I've tried using lines but I'm horrid at it.

>> No.1631834

>>1631816
I'd like to do it, but my anatomy and form knowledge isn't enough for it.

>> No.1631837

>>1631816
so you're adding color to this?
save it as a different file to compare, maybe tough this up as it is. I really like it, it looks like a sculpture.

>> No.1631859

>>1631746
ehem, sorry to interrupt, who is that sculpture by?

>> No.1631893
File: 170 KB, 463x700, teachings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631816
Seconded, lines is hard. I can do line work ok if it's in a sketchbook or just going to stay as lines, but taking it and then painting over is something I struggle with.

I usually go straight in with colours, get in the flat/base colour of each object first and then the main shadow mass, and then a little bit of highlight to show form and then take it from there. Pic related, super fast photo study lay-in to show a friend how I start my studies.

>> No.1631899

>>1631893
It seems to me that you must have such a top-notch knowledge of anatomy and form to do so, though.

>> No.1631907

>>1631899

Lines and paint are not all that different, brush strokes are just thicker lines which represent different things. It's usually a matter of preference and practice which determines which one you like to use.

>> No.1631966

Usually work entirely digitally.

Start with a line drawing that takes about 1-2 hours. I then make sure to drop the transparency really low so I dont incorporate it into the final painting. Rough greyscale over the top of that to get an idea of light and shadow. Finish it up by painting colour over the top, starting in one area working my way around.

Reasonably happy with the process except for the painting at the end, find myself really straining to make the colours work. Then again I'm only 3-4 months into focusing on digital painting and I've only been using one brush :/

Oh well, one foot in front of the other.

>> No.1631978

i sketch if it's going to be cartoony and have line work in the end. if it's semi realism or a study, i just block in colors and keep laying on more and more specifics. very infrequently i'll use one solid color or black to block in the shapes, then proceed to add the colors i'd like once i've got the guide-form down. almost always start out with the color from the first, though, to establish it early.

>> No.1632036
File: 32 KB, 417x629, drawt3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631834
My knowledge about anatomy isn't good at all, you should try using values alone with a solid reference maybe it will suit you.

>>1631837
Thanks.

I'm afraid I finished this one some months ago but fwiw the reference isn't that colorful either

>>1631893
Every once in a blue moon I get a decent line work sketch but it's definitely not my thing, I vastly prefer the sense of solidness and form that values give even early on.

>> No.1632069

>>1632036
Oh, so you're saying you do that from reference? Can you use that process when painting from imagination? Maybe that's the thing.

>> No.1632218

>>1632069
I try to avoid drawing from imagination because I started drawing barely a year ago but I've been able to pull it off with the few things I've done without reference.