[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 35 KB, 596x400, timthumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1597627 No.1597627[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Commission horror stories - Are you the victim of a shitty artist? Have you been commissioned to draw something only to find you have the customer from nit-picking hell? Share your stories! Share advice on how to deal with these kinds of situations!

>> No.1597629

I was commissioned to draw something for a supervisor at work. A portrait of herself and her parents. This woman is horribly morbidly obese and is also known as a creator of major drama at work. Short of funds, I accept and do the job. She has a specific circular frame she wants this portrait in and the size of the photo fits perfectly, I just need to place the people closer together but basically trace the photo to get as realistic as possible to the size. End up spending more time on this thing than I want to because I want to nail every detail from the minuscule beads on her necklace to the tiny wrinkles on her father's earlobe. Don't charge any extra (she's already paid me). She sees it, tells me how great it is, how her parents look just as she remembers them, then proceeds to cuss me out for drawing her fat. Something pops in her brain because she starts shouting how rude and disgusting I am for drawing her so large, I'm just making fun of her ect ect. I am confused, because I just traced it and she doesn't look any different from the photo. I haven't altered her appearance in any way. Boss comes and takes her into the office, tells her to suck it up, I did a fantastic job and reprimands her for her behaviour. I never get rostered on the same shifts as her ever again.
It now has given me a fear of drawing fat people.

>> No.1597636

I don't know if this story counts but
>hanging out with friend from art class
>we are sketching each other's portrait
>people sort of gather around us and tell us how good we are
>people openly say mine looks better than her's, can definitely tell mine looks like her but her drawing looks nothing like me
>exchange drawings, I look like that picture of that jew rubbing his greedy hands, looks nothing like me
>oh thank you, it looks so good, lift up lips in what I hope looks like a genuine smile, try to hide how disappointed I am, try not to hurt her feelings
I feel bad when she cries because nobody wants to commission her, so I anonymously buy her shitty prints online.

>> No.1597668

>>1597629
>get paid
>shatter bossy fatty's engorged self-esteem
>never have to see her again

sounds like a happy ending to me

>> No.1597670

>>1597636
>not letting her come to the realization that she needs improvement
You are scum.

>> No.1597671

>>1597636
you can't baby waby her forever, try to break it to her, slowly if you want and teach her how to draw.

>> No.1597675
File: 67 KB, 343x400, 1373159473486.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597636
>I look like that picture of that jew rubbing his greedy hands

>> No.1597699

>>1597627
I was commissioned to draw gross furry shit for whatever reason. He wanted his OC banging an OC of some singer he collaborated with (he's a DJ). I got started and sent him a kind of thumbnail before payment. He said it looked great but didn't know he had to pay. Told him to fuck off and eventually sent the thumbnail to the girl too. He blocked me afterwards when I did.

It's the only time that's happened.

>> No.1597706

>>1597699
>I got started and sent him a kind of thumbnail before payment. He said it looked great but didn't know he had to pay.

>starting work before negotiating payment
ISHYGITTYDIGITTY

>> No.1597726

>>1597668
No, that's actually what I look like. Her's wasn't as good.

>> No.1597729

>>1597699
Strype? Is that you?

>> No.1597736

>>1597627
>Commission horror stories

i read this a demand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯