[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 414 KB, 1600x1200, Photo0019.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1536050 No.1536050 [Reply] [Original]

What's /ic/'s schedule? If none, how old are you and how much do you study a day? I think 2-3 hours is the average I've seen on here. I initially made this schedule because I dropped my last course and I felt miserable not going by an autistic Asian schedule.

>> No.1536057 [DELETED] 
File: 729 KB, 4000x3000, Plan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 19 and I don't really have a schedule. In fact, I have no idea why I'm here, where I'm going, what I am doing, what I should do, how good I am, how wise I am, how quickly I'll get there, or if I'll have enough money to feed myself in three years.

I'm not even an artist. I just happen to be on this corner of the internet at 1:07 am.

I'll just go out the way I came.

>> No.1536058

Im taking taking sculpture, drawing II and design fundamentals at the community college so now im pretty busy with that. Before i would wake up, jumprope, eat, draw,,pass out and that was pretty much my daily schedule

>> No.1536059

>>1536058
Jumprope! I knew I was forgetting something.

>> No.1536061

>>1536059
Its brutal dude. Ive gotten really good at it so i can go for long periods of time then forget my muscles arent as strong as my cardiovascular so my calves will be torched for several days

>> No.1536064

>>1536050
Too much cardio

>> No.1536065

You get up at one every day?

>> No.1536068

>>1536064
Not if he's fat.

>> No.1536086

>>1536050
>having to write a schedule instead of directing yourself by however it works, whatever you feel like

talking about autism

>> No.1536113
File: 167 KB, 1000x676, Sample Schedule 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 23 - studying, basically all day (I lurk art forums, read pdfs and the mountains of books I have). I shoot for actual drawing, maybe 4-5 hours a day.

In total I'm probably hitting 7-8 hours a day, hoping to bring myself into 10 hours a day if I can stop fucking off.

>I only work 3 days a week, when I'm not at work I try to make sure I'm doing art related things (reading about it and drawing).

As far as making a schedule goes - whatever works for you man as long as you're studying, DOING STUDIES (not just reading theory) and actually drawing. Personally I just get myself into the rhythm by doodling or doing 5-minute burns and then move on to drawing whatever interests me at the moment, or doing studies. Schedules can be incredibly handy, but you'll also burn yourself out a lot faster if you force yourself to do a routine like this without giving yourself some free time or switching up what you're doing (to make things interesting).

I'll dump some schedules as well as one I wrote for myself a while back - like I said I don't do this now, but you might find some of the info handy if this works for you.

>> No.1536114
File: 82 KB, 1191x842, Sample Schedule 2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536113
>This is the copypasta from my Schedule.txt file

* Select Culture/Theme for Week (Oriental, zombies, Egyptian, etc.)

---==---

* Character Day
- Warm-Ups
- Self Portrait
- Select Variations (Age/Gender/Build/Race/etc.)
- 50 Gestures (25 Observation/25 Imagination)
- 5 Refined Observed Characters/Figures
- Still-Life
+ Alt: 50 Silhouette

* Environment Day
- Warm-Ups
- Self Portrait
- Select Variations (Terrain/Environment/Population/etc.)
- 12 Thumbnails (6 Observation/6 Imagination)
- 2 Refined Environments
- Still-Life

* Portrait Day
- Warm-Ups
- Self Portrait
- 24 Constructed Faces (12 Observation, 12 Imagination)
- 2 Refined Portraits
- Still-Life

* Creature Day
- Warm-Ups
- Self Portrait
- Select Kingdom (Mammal/Reptile/Amphibian/Bird/Fish/Insect/Arachnid)
- Fill Page Cat/Rat Gestures
- 50 Gestures (25 Observation, 25 Imagined)
- 5 Refined Observed Drawings
- Still Life

* Object Day
- Warm-ups
- Self Portrait
- Select Variation (Weapons/Vehicle/Technology/etc.)
- 30 Quick (25 Observation, 5 Imagination)
- 2 Detailed Observations (Analyze + Draw)
- Still Life

* Study/Imagination Day
- Anything From Other Days
- Study Drawing Books
- Study Anatomy

>> No.1536115
File: 105 KB, 757x739, Sample Schedule 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536114
> Copypasta of some of the warmups I do, Ron Lemen has a great video explaining a lot of these but you can probably get the gist. Also, last schedule I have.

Exercises:
> Hatching (Linear/Cross/Contoured)
> Space (Positive/Negative)
> Contour (Continuous/Cross/Blind)
> Gesture
> 5 Minute Burn
> Connected Line Drawing
> Tonal Bar (Hatching/Pressure/Gradation)
> Sighting Practice (Midpoint/Plumb and Level/Comparative Measurements)
> Indication of Top and Bottom

>> No.1536117

>>1536115
Oh, I guess I deleted some of the other exercises.

Here's more, for accuracy training.

>Arcs
>Circles
>Squares and Right Angles
>Line Weight
>Point to Point line training (draw two dots, hits the points)
>Point to Point S curve training (three/4 dots, hit all in one sweep
>Overlapping (once you fill a page with all this garbage, go back over all the lines again, trying to be as accurate but loose/quick as you can.)
>Spirals (don't cross lines, try to keep the same distance between every line, try not to lift pencil)
>Vertical/Horizontal line training (Trying to make perfect lines without moving the paper)
>Point crossing (one dot, try to hit it over and over with straight lines)

Hope this helps, good luck OP

>> No.1536122

>>1536117
Also also (just as a bonus) if you're as much of an autist about art as I am, this might help. Pretty unorganized list of everything (well, most of the things) you should be learning and studying. Try to make sure you nail them in your schedule; you might be doing perspective 7 times a week but if you don't study additional things like texture and atmosphere you're going to be hurting yourself a lot.

> Form/Shape
> Anatomy
> Value
> Gesture
> Rhythm
> Line
> Atmosphere
> Construction
> Proportion
> Action Sweep (Line of Action)
> Figure Balance
> Light and Shadow
> Texture
> Artist Style

> Self Portrait
- Fabric
- Font
- Shapes
- Portraiture
- Figure
- Landscape
- Architecture
- Still Life
- Master Studies
> Perspective
> Anatomy
> Anatomical Rythyms
> Color
> Soul/Emotion
> Form
> Shape
> Value
> Composition
> Line
> Statement
> Imagination
> Edge
>Texture

> Subject/Symbol

> Portraiature
> Figure Drawing

Fundamentals of Creation:
- Visualize: See it with your mind's eye.
- Statement: Decide what you are saying with your work, whether simple or thought provoking.
- Composition: Arrange it well so it says what you want.

>> No.1536124

>>1536050
You sleep from 5pm til 1am?

>> No.1536126

Sorry I keep posting more, just an afterthought I wanted to mention..

The reason I don't stick to a schedule any longer is because, honestly, there is just too much to learn to cram it all into one week. I don't always do the same warm ups, I don't always do the same perspective studies, I don't always do a self portrait, and I don't always have time to complete everything I want to in a day.

You'll also realize over time that you need to sharpen your weakest skills - this might also include something as fundamental as drawing hands, which may be a part of anatomy, but you might realize this just as you're doing a figure drawing and BAM, you realize you have no idea how the fuck to draw hands. I'd immediately follow this up with several hours of hand studies, which if you're following a schedule will really throw things out of balance for the entire week if you want to make sure you get everything included.

Honestly, I'd make a monthly chart like the final schedule I posted and try to get ONE thing every day that you KNOW you want to do. It might be something as simple as a still life with lighting studies, but this would be much easier to nail as opposed to trying to get everything in. If you split the entire month up with all of this stuff, you'll also not be getting the full experience because you'll go like 30 days without reestablishing what you learned (if, for example, you did hands on the 1st of the month and then didn't come back to them until the next month).

>cont.

>> No.1536128

>>1536126
I think the best option is to just write down everything you know you need to study and work on, and then reference your list when you're trying to decide what you should learn next. That way, you have your options open to what you're in the mood for and you'll never feel like it's a pointless struggle just to make it through the hour of whatever you "predetermined."

You may want to make a loose schedule like "1-7am, wake up do all the morning shit" "7-4pm ART ART ART" "4-5 evaluation, prepare for sleep"

Breaking up art the way you're trying to do is like getting super specific with your morning routine, i.e. (@3:14, brush teeth, @3:15 floss) which is going to be hell and stressful no matter how you try to break it down.

Just food for thought - know what you need to learn and go from there, don't get super detailed with tasks per day/tasks per month. Just study what you know you need to (observation, memory and imagionation) and don't neglect any of those areas. You'll get a lot further this way and won't be as likely to give up when you realize how narrow and hard sticking to a schedule is.

If I had to say I had a schedule today, it would be (on a non working day)

>Wake up
>1-2 hours of dicking around, drinking coffee, reading news, getting my morning shit done
>after this, ART. Learn, talk about (forums), draw, studies, etc.
>Day is ending, wind down with some TV in the background, doodling, not so serious art work.
>End of day routine, then sleep, where I try to fall asleep thinking about what I learned (which may induce art related dreams, but this isn't really related to this post.)

Even with a schedule as loose as this I'm still hitting, like I said, 7-8 hours of serious study/work a day.

Just make sure you spend serious time EVERY DAY doing these things. Make art your life if you want to be an artist.

>Once more just so you realize how important this is, "make art your life if you want to be an artist."

>> No.1536132

Also, fuck I'm drunk as shit - sorry about the incredible amount of typos. I still stand by everything I wrote though, so I hope you take it seriously and it sinks in. This is to all of you who are serious about art and think a schedule might be a good route to making it a solid thing in your life.

What broke me? Do a 12 hour day of nothing but studies and drawing. Don't spend your time on a forum, don't spend your time reading. You know you need to do value studies, line studies, perspective, etc. so do it.

Just one day. 12 hours. All drawing and learning. By the end of the day, you'll realize how much you've actually learned, and it'll become an addiction. I was doing 2-3 hours a day prior to this, and I just forced myself into it. One month later and I've drawn more this entire month than I have for the entire year. All I can think about is art, even when I'm driving all I think about is how I might draw the car in front of me, or the lighting on a tree.

Do an entire day, put down the distractions and use them as breaks instead. If you want to be professional, or even call yourself an "Artist," you should be honest with yourself - Rembrandt didn't spend 7 hours watching DVDs (even if he could) and drawing in between.

I'm not saying don't give yourself breaks here and there, sometimes I'll do a study then watch an hour or two of some stupid show, but make sure THAT'S your break, and not that art is your break from dicking around.

Kay, I'm done (I hope).

>> No.1536135

I don't keep a prescriptive schedule, but I keep detailed descriptive records of what I've done.

This August I've done, on average...
Drawing: average 1 hour, 40 min, maximum 7 hours
Papercraft: average 1 hour, 11 min, maximum 6 hours 30 min

Exercise: average 40 min, maximum 1 hour 35 min
Reading: average 51 min, maximum 2 hours 45 min
Eating: average 1 hour 18 min, maximum 2 hours 5 min
Sleep: average 9 hours 58 min, maximum 12 hours 10 min

>> No.1536138

>>1536050
hwo do you guys keep up to these schedules. I do draw everyday for couple hours, also keep up to my daily chores (exercises and such) but do you keep them flexible or do you keep onto them strictly?

In my experience, after setting up any sort of schedule, art and what I do starts to feel like a chore and I stop enjoying it after a while. Is that good or bad or indifferent? My autism tells me that I should make a schedule because I'm a weak little boy and I could be drawing 15 hours a day instead of 8 and I should be drawing in precise terms.

>> No.1536139

>>1536138
Read the massive walls of text I posted, it might shed some light on the idea of scheduling.

>> No.1536148

>>1536139
Oh, ok. I read those.

Idk, if you can help me here. I have a couple of different philosophies on some stuff, but thats mainly because I dont want to get strictly into concept art, nevertheless painting and drawing is still pretty connected to what I want to do.

Still if you could, would you consider this a good approach/what would you adjust?

>only predetermined things I have is mourning routines and daily exercises
>i draw daily, but I dont blockin time, usually draw however long and whatever I feel like
>i keep balance between drawing from imagination/study, usually 50/50, but still flexible
>i usually change mediums depending on how im enjoying
>i let myself get lead by how im feeling towards something
>if i do studies, i usually try to make sure i spend enough time to make it pretty, unless it starts to feel like a chore, then i might just get back to it later
>i keep suggesting myself that I learn from everything

>> No.1536166

>>1536148
It sounds fine but I'd spend more time invested in studies - studies aren't about making your work pretty, they're about learning as much as you can from the single drawing.

You should approach a study with a single goal in mind (ex. value) and then make sure all you're thinking about is value. That's not to say you shouldn't block in your drawing and GET to the value stage with good work, but once you're where you can begin what you intend to learn - that should be all you're worried about.

Basically, as long as you're learning from memory, observation and imagination - and you're drawing a lot - keep this up. Draw more if you don't feel like you're drawing enough, and make a list of your weaknesses if you don't know where to head next.

>> No.1536170

>>1536166
Thanks, the thing about drawing from imagination/studies is pretty relative afaik, I've discussed this with plenty of people.

To me it's just about what I feel like doing, and the 50/50 is pretty relative. I've also been told that a certain personal balance is really important, which really gets down to drawing what you feel like drawing.

Yeah, I usually try to do that. Also what works for me is more subjects at the same time (visual measuring, perspective, value). Due to short attention-span I have it is more comfortable to do it that way.

The list of the weaknesses is actually a good idea, since I lately feel somewhat stuck in process.

>> No.1536171

>>1536166
Also thanks for the advice!

>> No.1536217
File: 35 KB, 894x354, download (3).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

something like this...

>> No.1536235

>tfw too undisciplined and depressed to make a schedule, much less stick to it
>tfw never improving because you don't really do anything anymore

kill me, I'd rather be a NEET then deal with this

>> No.1536238

>>1536235
>I'd rather be a NEET then deal with this

But you are a NEET if you don't do anything anymore, so what's the problem?

>> No.1536240

>>1536217
Best most practical one so far. mind if i still it?

>> No.1536245

>>1536238

Well, I work, but I can't get myself to paint/draw in the time I'm not working.

>> No.1536255

>>1536217
except you don't actually take off saturday and sunday!

>> No.1536256

>>1536245
find a way to get a part time job, and still live. Doesn't matter what great illustrators have worked 3-5 jobs. You need time to practice.

>> No.1536257

>>1536255
I take these days off for doing meetups with other artist and going to museums, figure painting, plein air painting, or working on personal work.

I sometimes go to family partys on these days or out with friends. Most of the time im painting though. It's just sort of a no restriction day. where i don't excpect to work on anything specific.

>> No.1536261

What's the point of even mentioning your (autistic) schedule if you won't even post work to prove it's a real schedule and not just some cry for attention?

>> No.1536275

>>1536050

why the fuck do you need/want a schedule...

grow up. stop obsessing about "how" to study. it's on the same level as that anon who said he hoarded billions and billions of ref images, art related pdf's, and torrented all kinds of tutorials but never used any of it lol.

>> No.1536277

>>1536275
stay pleb.

>> No.1536279

>>1536275

Just because some people spend three weeks making a schedule only to cram all their study in one night, doesn't mean everyone's that useless.
Might as well bitch about people gathering referenced - because hurr some guy did the same thing and never used them, therefore collecting references is bad.

>> No.1536280

>>1536279
k

>> No.1536282
File: 101 KB, 508x548, 1319331905988.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536280

That takes care of that!

>> No.1536283

>>1536282
lol k

>> No.1536284

The dumbest fucking threads on /ic/ get all the attention... sage and move on

>> No.1536291

>>1536284
Shut the fuck up restract, no one in this humble community likes you.

>> No.1536302

>>1536291
humble AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.1536303

yeah you guys probably spend more time organizing your schedules than actually drawing, lol fucking stupid

>> No.1536304

>>1536303
took me about a minute using google docs.

gurantee im about 200% more productive than you.

>> No.1536309

>>1536304
''studies'' yea so fucking productive... give me a CLICHE give me a NO TALENT give me a bottle of scotch because gawd this board is so fucking stupid

>> No.1536315

At first I thought these schedules are jokes through exaggeration but now I am realizing they are not. Damn. I am so lazy I get annoyed when I have to pay taxes using money that dad sent me on my account. Or when I have to clean my bathroom once in a few months.

Also, sleeping less than 8 hours frightens me. I sleep at least 10.

>> No.1536358

>>1536064
>>1536061
I play Rugby so I need to have good cardio as well as strength. It's just a side hobby of mine, I love being able to vent by tackling other people into the ground.
>>1536114
I really like this, I'm happy I'm not the only one who seems to split things up in days instead of just studying what I want for the day, or studying several different things in one sitting.
>>1536115
This is interesting as well. I might just try this for one month.
>>1536124
Yes, usually I sleep 10 hours, I'm cutting it to 9. Maybe one day I'll shoot for 8. I hate wasting time by sleeping so much. I used to sleep for 15-20 hours a day.
>>1536126
>>1536128
>>1536132
I see what you mean. I don't do all these exercises on one day, like, if I'm going to draw portraits or weapons, that's all I'm going to do that day. Anything more becomes quite overwhelming. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Anon.

>> No.1536362

>>1536309
animu detected

>> No.1536413

Before I start just a quick mention: I used to be a very lazy person, who procrastinated a lot (kind of still am).

1st week I started with 5h a day to to ease into the new lifestyle.
2nd week I went up to 7h and started having difficulties, some days I didnt fulfill the goal.
3rd week 7-8h.
4-7th week: Goal was 8h a day, was incredibly hard and I failed many times, but I didnt give up on it.
8th week: Decided to go 10h. Holy fuck. I managed half a week then burnt out and did less.
9th week: Had these on/off days, one day I went 10-12hrs the other 5-7hrs.
10th week: Did few days on 10h, at one point I just couldnt focus, I had reached my capacity(which is quite low, but it will get better the more I train). By capacity I mean my brain was fried. Everything was half assed and not finalized.
11th week: 8-10h schedule wasnt so strict with myself.
12th week: This is the last week. Before I go over to the next schedule of 3-5h a week(last year of school, then going to art school, which is free)
This week I decided to take it easy and do art whenever I want to. So its basically 1-4h in a day(depends on the piece im doing). Not pushing myself just to see how the previous weeks have affected my interest in art.
And because I still am lazy, but Ive seen improvement so no hope lost.

In addition I'll post the shit that drags me down.
Things that have hampered me:
1.Frustration over your works (got over that after learning from Dave Rapoza that its actually a good thing)
2. Everything is a click away+ I really know how to waste time on the internet(did do that previously before art). I can never get bored, I always find interesting stuff on the internet. That by far is the biggest crutch in my life.
3. This applies to these last weeks. Ive seen my improvement so im less inclined to practice. What I mean is im more comfortable with my skill lvl so Im less inclined to practice. This ofc has a positive side of me being more confident with my art.
cont.

>> No.1536417
File: 622 KB, 1577x896, progress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536413
4. Procrastination and convincing oneself not to do shit.(hate that shit)
5. Bad eyesight. Means I got to take a break every hour, which makes everything harder.
Good news is Im resourcefull and have begun reading on material about willpower and all such. I will learn how to change myself.

Pic related: On the right is the newest stuff( half month old/recent) and on the left oldest stuff (approx 3 months)

>> No.1536422

>>1536257
well that is part of training then.

when you say off that implies you aren't doing any work at all

>> No.1536432

>>1536417
You mean the left side is the newest stuff, I hope.

But yeah, I'm like you. I can spend days on the internet finding anything to entertain me. You'd think you've seen everything, then one click, and you have a whole year's worth of new knowledge to see.

I've been making improvements in some areas too but I feel somethings are just too good for me, so i get discouraged. I'm impatient sometimes. I compare myself to Da Vinci alot, becuase he always had these ideas, and he never wanted them to disappear without some trace, so he just drifts from subject to subject, trying to know everything without really getting into it too much. Unlike him though, I just kinda quit mentally when I see artists do these crazy things, because i don't really see myself hitting that level.

>> No.1536439

>>1536432
Interesting. Ive had something similar in the field of discouragement, but the motivational shit ive found cancels that out.
When I see artists going crazy in various areas it inspires me to do art, but that lasts only moments, after that its back to normal mood(good or bad). Same goes for music, which has helped me a lot.
One thing thats against me in a way is that I have time. I have 3-5 years before I go and start working freelance. That is good in itself, but knowing that makes you have less pressure, its not a do or die situation.
Which is also why im reading psychology books instead of doing art atm. I want to control myself and my potential no matter the mood/environment etc.

>> No.1536479

Currently taking a school-designed (Ringling) schedule of:

Drawing I (Basic perspective)
Figure Drawing I
2D Design (Intros to Illustrator and Photoshop)
Film and Narrative (I'm an Illustration major ???)
Writing for Media Arts (Blegh liberal art requirements)

First semester of freshman year.

>> No.1536482

>>1536050
*so glad was born with talents*

>> No.1536515

>>1536482
>*so glad was born with talents*
>Talents
Post art or gtfo.

>> No.1536523
File: 91 KB, 441x600, raphael_athens_drawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536515
Here's some old stuff of mine. It was a "study"

>> No.1536538

I work 40 hours a week. Get off work at 6, mope until 11 pm. Stare at blank paper or unfinished work for 30 mins once every month. Gaze at crappy paintings sitting in the corner.

>> No.1536540

>>1536050

>being this neet

>> No.1536563
File: 1.92 MB, 3264x2448, 20130828_215309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meh

>> No.1536566

>>1536523
why, yours, yes yes, indeed.

http://www.ashmolean.org/collections/highlights/?type=highlights&id=93&department=2

did you know that the filename show up?

>> No.1536584

>>1536566
Do you know you're autistic and underage?

gb2 ur ultra coolzer spartan schedule

>> No.1536586

>>1536566
So you've heard of me then? I was hesitant at leaving the name field empty, at first. I thought maybe you'd think I was a liar or something.

>> No.1536617

>>1536050
>You're going to burn yourself out after a week at max. You'll begin to hate art.

>> No.1536631

>>1536586
Stop avoiding confrontation with jokes, even Raphael worked hard.

>> No.1536644

>>1536631

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself. I've been in this game since 1491. You're about 5 centuries too late if you think you can throwdown with me, son. No joke.

>> No.1536653

This thread makes me feel bad, I do maybe one hour a day. Two-three hours if I'm motivated.
But then again, I am shit.

>> No.1536692

>>1536050
I just keep track of the hours I'm drawing each day. I literally have a stopwatch and I write down the time every day. Usually it's something like 20 hours of drawing per week - and that's just drawing. It'll be something like 30 if you add all the thinking, reading, watching tutorials, planning and looking for refs. So it's something like 6 per working day (except I don't rest on weekends so it's really more like 4 hours every day of the year). I feel okay about it, I'm progressing nicely and it's not hard at all.
Don't think you should push yourself too much, your mind needs to rest. Drawing is mostly a subconscious activity, you can't make subconsciousness learn shit faster, you just need to take your time. That's why nobody ever became a great painter in a year by working 12 hours a day, you just can't rush it.

>> No.1536693

>>1536692
Also, never make a detailed plan of what to study ahead of time. You need make it up as you go along, you always have to adapt.

>> No.1536707

>>1536692
>>1536693
How long have you been drawing for? When did you start taking it seriously?

Got any examples of your work?

Sounds like a good method.

>> No.1536720
File: 315 KB, 1410x998, progress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1536707
For a year now, didn't draw before it. Here's my progress in the past year. Nothing amazing, but I'm happy with it.

>> No.1536730

>>1536720
That's fairly impressive for only a year of practice. You should do more study 'study' instead of just drawing anything you want, though.

>> No.1536765

>>1536050

Jogging, not swimming.

You fucking moron.