[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 72 KB, 589x800, Colleen Barry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1526364 No.1526364 [Reply] [Original]

When I draw from a reference (physical/digital photo) I don't have a lot of trouble laying down my lines in the correct areas at the proper angles and showing form. I honestly don't even have that much trouble laying down a still life - but when I try to draw a self portrait I feel like my eyes are all over the place.

Is there a reason drawing myself in the mirror or drawing someone else is so much more confusing than drawing a person in a picture? Even if I'm not moving I feel like I have no idea what lines to lay down or where to shade.

Just wondering if there's a way I can get around this mental block faster than just doing it over and over.

>> No.1526375

>>1526364
I had this problem too. At first i thought it was because the picture was already in 2d. But the truth was just that i was to close to my subject. In a picture you can easily have a global view of the hole subject, but in real life you have to put some distance between you and the subject to get the global view.

This is why i had difficulty's, but maybe it's something else for you. Still I would try looking at your subject from a distance where you can see it as a whole without having to move your eyes up or down and you should have an easier time.