[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 182 KB, 316x261, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1463490 No.1463490 [Reply] [Original]

sigh. . . I've been trying to memorize all of the proportions of the body but I just can't seem to get it right. .

wait.

oh no.

do you hear that?

THE PROPORTIONS ARE INVADING MY THREAD OH GOD

--------------------------------------------
The neck space is 1/4 of one head length, under the chin of the top first head.
The second head starts under this neck space.
One quarter of one head down on this second head is the shoulder line and clavicle. This leaves space for the for the neck support muscles.
The shoulder line is two head lengths (two widths on a female) wide and is the top line of the torso triangle that extends down to the top of the hip triangle.
The chin to the shoulder line is 1/2 of one heads length. That is, 1/4 of a head for the neck space and 1/4 head down on the second head.
The nipple line equals one head length, at the bottom of the second head, the younger the higher. Males stay higher.
The nipples to the belly button equals one head length.
From the belly button to the space between the legs is one head length, that's the bottom of the third trunk head. This between the leg space is actually 4 1/4 heads down from the top, including the 1/4 head neck space. It's 3 and 3/4 heads up from the bottom of the feet, for a total of 8 heads high. The two center heads overlap by 1/4 head, the top of the bend line triangle is 4 heads up from the base. The top three torso heads were lowered 1/4 head because of the empty neck space.
The width of the waist at the belly button is one head length wide.
From the top line of the hip/trunk triangle to the space between the legs is 3/4's of one head, and is two head widths wide. Not more.
---------------------------------

MY BRAIN IS MELTING AHHHHHHHHHH

>> No.1463495

It's like learning math

Once you practice it enough it ain't so scary

>> No.1463496

>>1463495

I failed my college math class anon.

>> No.1463498
File: 10 KB, 381x351, 136690739716.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1463500
File: 181 KB, 434x311, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1463498

>> No.1463506

You're not supposed to learn them linearly.

You need a sense of what looks good and lots of references.

>> No.1463507

Yeah you can go ahead and stop worrying about proportions so much. Artists don't really use that head trick much, really it's a matter of intuition more...you learn to recognize if a part feels too large or too small and then adjust.

The only proportions I use regularly are the following:
-pubic bone halfway point (I use this one all the time)
-top of kneecap halfway between ground and anterior superior iliac spine (I use sometimes)
-medial epicondyle of humerus roughly aligns with tenth rib (and this works when the arm is moved too, just draw an arc) (I use rarely)
-wrist roughly at crotch when arm is at rest (I use occasionally)

>> No.1463540

>>1463506
Yeah you can "just feel it" when you are talented. Otherwise you will have to remember everything.

>> No.1463545

>>1463490
Just a reminder that all this will be useless when you gonna draw with perspective with foreshortening from crazy angle and dynamic pose. Unless you can calculate everything in your head ofc.

>> No.1463614

>>1463540
no no no, please don't do this, not here, not now.