[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 40 KB, 311x338, nidoran papillon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1435270 No.1435270 [Reply] [Original]

Today i'm going to begin my "journey" to learn how to draw.
I'll start with "Drawing with the right side of the brain". What edition would be the best one? if you have links for downloads it would be even better.
Also, i'd like to "split" the learning course over days. (like, every day i do tot excercices or tot minutes of excercise and such).
If you have a good "schedule" post it as well, but this is secondary to my first question about the book. Thanks in advance.

>> No.1435273

bump

>> No.1435275
File: 187 KB, 700x600, 1365116145503.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You don't have to bump in /ic/, there are only 1-2 post per ten minutes.
I don't know much about the book but here is the usual order to learn art. Hope it help.

>> No.1435277

>>1435275
And to add some more, the first steps really really boring, but if you get through it, art will get better and your basic knowledge will be stronger so you won't have to waste your time go back and fix your bad habits.

>> No.1435281

>>1435275
>>1435277
I see. Does the sticky guide follow this order of learning as well? i wanted to start from that book because sticky suggested so for an absolute beginner like me.
This rises another question: how should i approach the book? Should i follow it page per page? (i'm willing to do that if it will improve my skills) Or should i do the excercices for those steps you posted?
Sorry for the kinda noobish questions.

>> No.1435283

Partially unrelated question: should one learn to draw on a tablet from the beginning if he wants to post his drawings frequently?
Or should one with this thought in mind always start from paper anyway?

>> No.1435300

>>1435275
How does one learn how to render.

>> No.1435302

>>1435281
You can really start from learning the book, and doing lines/curves exercise at the same time.
>>1435283
I think starting with a pencil is better since most of the software has line stabilizer, and it's not good for beginner.

>> No.1435305

>>1435300
you learn render by reading books and paint from life.

>> No.1435310

>>1435270

I've recently started the same quest, OP. Let's share some newbie insights.

Also, I much prefer the book "Keys to Drawing" by Bert Dodson... I find DWTRSOTB really verbose with its pseudo-science about the 2 sides of your brain. Also, the exercises on "Keys to Drawing" seem better organized and displayed.

>> No.1435311

>>1435302
I guess i'll start reading the book and doing the excercices it suggests then.
Last question: is any edition of "Drawing with the right side of the brain" fine?
or should i get a specific edition? I have the 1999 edition, i think.

>> No.1435313

>>1435310
Well, the ticky itself suggests to not pay too much attention to the brain crap, and to focus on excercices.
In case i want to try Keys to Drawing, where could i download it?

>> No.1435314

>>1435311

I think any edition is fine.

Also, what are some good "exercises" on lines, curves and shapes? Just drawing circles, elipses, equally spaced lines and such?

>> No.1435316

>>1435313

Just google and you should find it.

>> No.1435317

>>1435311
Any edition is fine, if there is any part you doubt it or don't understand, just post it here.

>> No.1435320

>>1435316
>>1435314
>>1435316
Thank you all for the answers.
Now i'll read DWTRSOTB 1999 edition, if something seems wrong or if i hae issues i'll post here.
Also, you could use this thread for giving/sharing advice with absolute beginners like me meanwhile.

>> No.1435329

Drawing on the right side of the brain is 2deep5u bullshit if you ask me.

Better of starting with some anatomy.

Classic Human Anatomy by Valerie l. Winslow, and Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist, are decent enough books.

>> No.1435472

Completed a drawing of Igor stravinsky (the one suggested in the sticky)
It went horribly deformed, but given my starting skills i was pleasantly surprised, i expected a way worst result.
Now i'll actually start doing the excercices in the book, since i thought the drawing in the sticky was a necessary excercise
>>1435329
The brain part is probably just fluff (probably right but not world-changing), but the excercises are reccommended for absolute beginners, so i guess i'll give them a look (and probably a drawing as well)

>> No.1435487

>>1435472
>The brain part is probably just fluff (probably right but not world-changing), but the excercises are reccommended for absolute beginners
Exactly.

Ignore the psychobabble. The exercises are good because you learn to observe something and draw it as you see it. In my college drawing class, the upside down drawing exercise was one of the first things we did after learning about line/types of crosshatching and basic drawing on paper stuff.

>> No.1435514

My advice? Skip the DWTRSOTB, I know some people recommend it, but I got literally nothing from it (I'm a bit more advanced than a beginner tho', I read it out of curiosity).

I would suggest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQ1WVyPHvU
"Loomis - Fun with pencil"
"Norling - Perspective made easy"

Start with the videos (you don't have to do all the exercises to mastery, move through the videos quickly), move on to Loomis (read the whole book, and do the exercises in each chapter), and then Norling. You'll get pretty solid base (basic construction, perspective) to start practicing, and get to specifics (anatomy, colour, lightning, geisture, composition etc.). Also, add geisture-drawing as a warm up before going to figure drawing, Vilppu has a great video on geisture.

Also, good alternative for DWTRSOTB would be "Kimon Nicolaides - The Natural Way To Draw" (this also has geisture exercise, and it's explained well), it has similar exercises as Edwards book, but I found it less verbose, and easier to get into. It's meant for a bit more advanced artists (or students) than complete beginners. It has strict specifics about the schedules, and tools used, but I didn't take them too seriously. I'm a hobbyist, not a student.

Only my advice, Those three books have helped me tremendously.

>> No.1435525

>>1435514
>I got literally nothing from it (I'm a bit more advanced than a beginner tho
We were talking about absolute beginners, anon.

They can't move on to the videos or loomis or norling without being able to draw what they see.

>> No.1435548

>>1435525
That is why I recommend starting with basic construction, which forces you to think 3D.

To draw what you see, and to do studies comes only after you have construction, and perspective some what down (I don't mean mastery). At least this is how I see it.

Nicolaides also has Contour exercises to get rid of the symbols. (One of the reasons it's on my list)

There are as many ways to learn, as there are students. Captain recommended to start with geometry, wouldn't come to my mind to start with that.

>> No.1435554

>>1435548
...Jayne?

>> No.1435659
File: 1.47 MB, 300x208, 1364593504550.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1435548
>>1435554

>> No.1436246

>>1435554
I only wish I was, just used captain as an example ;_;

>> No.1437233
File: 333 KB, 927x1290, igor stravin... oh god please kill it with fire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, to "Thank you" for your suggestion, here's something that will surely make you laugh. This is the upside drawing suggested by sticky. This is my first drawing aimed to "learn". The part that makes make me laugh most are the hands and the head.
I post this mainly to see if i can actually start with Right side of the brain or if i need something preliminar before, since you can see i suck quite a lot.
The quality of the picture sucks also because of my scanner, but i think you can judge anyway how my lines and shapes are shit.

>> No.1437235

>>1436246
JAYNE JAYNEJAYNE JAYNEJAYNE JAYNEJAYNE JAYNEJAYNE JAYNEJAYNE JAYNE

>> No.1437246

>>1437233
Also, do i need to buy a viewfinder and other materials listed in the book "drawing with the right side of my dickemhimeantbrain?"
Or can i do them just with paper, pencils and eraser?
Also tell me if i should do some other excercices before the book, judging from the igor stravinski's horrible portrait.

>> No.1437250

>>1437246
Depends on what materials it wants you to get.

A viewfinder is easy to make. Get a frame of some sort and make crosshairs out of string. You could also get a piece of glass or plastic from a smaller picture frame (walmart or hobby lobby) and mark crosshairs with dry erase or permanent marker. You can make the border out of black construction paper and use a clip or two to keep it on the glass.
Viewfinders are good things to have when you're learning to crop a piece of something out to draw and make interesting compositions.