Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 779 KB, 736x564, Linux.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38415610 No.38415610 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Take a /survey/. 2 questions for all of you. What OS are you using and why do you like it.

>> No.38415624

Windows 7 Professional, because it does everything I require a computer operating system to do, better than anything else that exists on or off the market today and for the foreseeable future.

Simple.

>> No.38415635

>>38415610
Linux
faster, free ($), more control

>> No.38415639

Win7

Because I tried Mint a bit ago on my laptop and it couldnt even get the drivers right.

NOTE: I dont hate Linux, as a matter of fact I really like it and the idea of it.

Its just that I tried it and didnt care for it.

>> No.38415650

Windows 8.1.
Muh games.

I would use Linux but driver performance for my hardware is pretty shitty.

>> No.38415661

>linux
>os

Ι'd јuѕt lіkе tο іntеrјесt fοr а mοmеnt. Wһаt уοu'rе rеfеrrіng tο аѕ Lіnux, іѕ іn fасt, GΝU/Lіnux, οr аѕ Ι'vе rесеntlу tаkеn tο саllіng іt, GΝU рluѕ Lіnux. Lіnux іѕ nοt аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm untο іtѕеlf, but rаtһеr аnοtһеr frее сοmрοnеnt οf а fullу funсtіοnіng GΝU ѕуѕtеm mаdе uѕеful bу tһе GΝU сοrеlіbѕ, ѕһеll utіlіtіеѕ аnd vіtаl ѕуѕtеm сοmрοnеntѕ сοmрrіѕіng а full OS аѕ dеfіnеd bу ΡOSΙX.

Mаnу сοmрutеr uѕеrѕ run а mοdіfіеd vеrѕіοn οf tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm еvеrу dау, wіtһοut rеаlіzіng іt. Τһrοugһ а ресulіаr turn οf еvеntѕ, tһе vеrѕіοn οf GΝU wһісһ іѕ wіdеlу uѕеd tοdау іѕ οftеn саllеd "Lіnux", аnd mаnу οf іtѕ uѕеrѕ аrе nοt аwаrе tһаt іt іѕ bаѕісаllу tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm, dеvеlοреd bу tһе GΝU Ρrοјесt.

Τһеrе rеаllу іѕ а Lіnux, аnd tһеѕе реοрlе аrе uѕіng іt, but іt іѕ јuѕt а раrt οf tһе ѕуѕtеm tһеу uѕе. Lіnux іѕ tһе kеrnеl: tһе рrοgrаm іn tһе ѕуѕtеm tһаt аllοсаtеѕ tһе mасһіnе'ѕ rеѕοurсеѕ tο tһе οtһеr рrοgrаmѕ tһаt уοu run. Τһе kеrnеl іѕ аn еѕѕеntіаl раrt οf аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm, but uѕеlеѕѕ bу іtѕеlf; іt саn οnlу funсtіοn іn tһе сοntеxt οf а сοmрlеtе οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm. Lіnux іѕ nοrmаllу uѕеd іn сοmbіnаtіοn wіtһ tһе GΝU οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm: tһе wһοlе ѕуѕtеm іѕ bаѕісаllу GΝU wіtһ Lіnux аddеd, οr GΝU/Lіnux. All tһе ѕο-саllеd "Lіnux" dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ аrе rеаllу dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ οf GΝU/Lіnux.

>> No.38415672

>Chrome OS
>I don't.

>> No.38415679

MenuetOS
it fits on a floppy

>> No.38415683

Mint Debian, because it's faster than Ubuntu, no amazon spyware, still feels the same with cinnamon. Also muh freedumz.

>> No.38415688

>>38415672
What Chrome(book/box) do you have?

>> No.38415689

>>38415610
linux
because it's works, is customizeable, fast, and does what i'm telling it to do

>> No.38415704

>>38415661
oldfag this isn't 1901, get out with that shit GNU copypasta

>> No.38415715

Linux, because i like to know how my computer is working. And i like being able to change how my computer is working.

>> No.38415728

>>38415661
So you say like the kernel is linux, and unity is gnu?
Because unity is the most important program to make it fully functional :DDDDD

>> No.38415740

Windows 7.
Muh gayms.

>> No.38415750

>>38415610
Mac OS X
Because I much prefer it to Windows and Linux; it's a lot nicer to use and it has software that I need (MS Office, Creative Suite, Logic Pro).

>> No.38415754

>>38415688
It's the ARM-based Samsung one. Unsure what specific model but it's super unreliable. Just today the tip-thingy of my headphones got ripped out from my headphones and now it's stuck in the jack. Also it makes weird cracking noises when it opens up and I've never dropped it or anything bad.

>> No.38415758

>>38415728
>ubuntu
>part of the GNU/Linux masterrace

haha no. If you use ubuntu you are basically a windows user

>> No.38415766

>>38415728
>Name with no custom trip
>Replying to stale copypasta
>:DDDDD
Please leave

>> No.38415773

>>38415610
OP here, 5 Linux 2 windows so far

>> No.38415784

What's a good place to discuss linux that isn't /g/?

>> No.38415785

is windows 8 still 500 gb and using 4 gb of ram at all times? i use windows 7 for games and it takes stupid long to boot and is very slow. should i switch?

>> No.38415801

>>38415773
8 linux 3 windows so far

>> No.38415816

Windows 8.1
because linux is useless outside of text editors and web browsers

>> No.38415817

>>38415784
/g/

>> No.38415818

>>38415784
the linux kernel mailinglist

>> No.38415827

>>38415785
For gaming Windows. For everything else except for multimedia Linux. For multimedia, OS X

>> No.38415828
File: 889 KB, 1920x1080, screenFetch-2013-11-30_20-13-14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38415828

Yes, I literally installed Gentoo.

>> No.38415830

>>38415801
>>38415773
As this Windows user: >>38415650, does it make any difference that I use Linux on my laptop and home server, meaning I actually use more Linux devices than Windows ones?

>> No.38415842

>>38415784
www.pof.com/interests/linux.aspx

>> No.38415852

>W7
>It justwerks and has all the software I need available natively

>> No.38415853

>>38415828
>KDE
Whhyyy

>> No.38415854

>>38415827
8 linux and 4 windows so far, 9 if you count me

>> No.38415858

>>38415801

...and 1 asm

>> No.38415861

>>38415610
GNU/Linux. im fine with what im using and to lazy to adapt to windows, even though everyone uses it.

>> No.38415862

Windows 8.1

Muh games

>> No.38415864

Windows XP as my main OS.
Ubuntu and Win 7 on my netbook.

>> No.38415874

>>38415830
it makes you very gay

>> No.38415897

W8

It's better than 7 and it...."workz"

>> No.38415901

>>38415818

Is that mailinglist safe for ladies?

>> No.38415923

>>38415853
It's ridiculously smooth on this hardware, and I really wanted to put this thing through its paces building the system. Even the kernel only took three minutes and X took maybe an hour, so KDE was the big thing to build.

>> No.38415932

>>38415785
You either have a crap computer or a virus.

>> No.38415941

>>38415901
There are ladies who regularly contribute to it at work, so I'd assume so. Better than the cock.li mailing list anyway.

>> No.38415942

>>38415897
opposite for me
W8 broke driver support for my wifi card

>> No.38415949

>>38415817
>>38415842
epik :^)

>> No.38415955

>>38415901
if you aren't some stupid femnazi cunt then yes

>> No.38415956

>>38415610
Fuck off with your shitty survey threads.

>> No.38415965

>survey to mine people's data

Fuck off Google

>> No.38415979

I don't support ChromeOS, sorry, OP.

>> No.38416043

I have 2 awnsers.

Windows 8, because 8.1 is shit and also mug games.

Mac OSX 10.9, because i like the simplicity and also i only use it when im browsing 4chan/ not at home.

>> No.38416086
File: 12 KB, 208x243, google.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38416086

>>38415965

>> No.38416128

Crunchbang 11 Waldorf & Windows 7

Early OS, good configuration

>> No.38416188

>>38415610
Right now?
Windows 7.
I like it because games and driver support.

I dualboot it on my desktop with PC-BSD, which I like because Unix, easy to use, and no Stallman.

Linux Mint on laptop because it's super easy and works well with it.

>> No.38416302

openSUSE tumbleweed

Makes the best use out of KDE. Stable rolling releases. YAST is perfection. Helpful community not full of faggots (debian). Oh and http://software.opensuse.org/

>> No.38416317

>>38416128
Wait, don't you mean Debian Wheezy and Windows 7?

>> No.38416339

>>38416128
>Crunchbang 11
Crunchbang isn't a distro. It's a layer. Crunchbang fags should be saying Crunchbang/debian or just plain debian.

>> No.38416363

>>38416339
>debian/crunchbang
FTFY

>> No.38416403

LMoS

>> No.38416412

>>38416363
>>debian/openbox
FTFY

>> No.38416420

>>38415828
Hi Jon

>> No.38416433

>>38415610
Sabayon (for now). I was using mint for a long time but wanted to be on something that rolling release, more current, and could run systemd, cinnamon, and tf2. Sabayon and Arch made sense, I gave both a short try in VMs and liked sabayon minimal the best. But I've been having some problems, getting my screensaver to work has been hard and proprietary amd drivers are very hard to install. That would be fine with my, FOSS drivers are good for old amd cards but I'm stuck on an APU A-10 right now. Part of me wants to go back to mint. I feel like I could get sabayon to work but then I might as well do arch or gentoo (probably gentoo because I really like the ports tree).

>> No.38416464

>>38416412
>Debian+Openbox
FTFY

>> No.38416468

>>38415610

Linux for nearly everything.

Windows FLP in a virtual machine for fucking around.

Various other operating systems in VMs (like OS/2) for fun.

>> No.38416472

Mint. Because I don't want to learn too much.

>> No.38416476

Win 8.1 because now it's basically Win 7. But slightly faster. And I got it free..

>> No.38416495

I use Windows for my desktop because I'm comfortable with it and Linux Mint for my laptop because I want to learn.

>> No.38416499

>>38416464
>Debian
FTFY
Since when have we said the Window Manager as part of a name? Debian+X would make a lot more sense.

>> No.38416506

Windows 7

Because I like video games and I don't like Metro bullshit.

Maybe I'll switch when Linux gets more games (which is happening, now, apparently).

>> No.38416520

I use Debian GNU/Linux Sid.
I like GNU, I like Linux, I like APT/dpkg, and I like a minimal binary distribution.

>> No.38416545

>>38415610
Windows 8.1
Because
MPC-BE and MadVR
Optimus graphics has shitty support on GNU/Linux
Fucking kubuntu won't even install
It's smooth and pretty

>> No.38418037

>>38415610
Windows 7
Desktop: Muh games.
Laptop: Need to use Word(Libre office has too many formatting Issue when using .docx which my dumbass Professor requires.) and Running it in Wine or a virtual box kinda a hassle, because I do so much stuff on the fly.
I also have Ubuntu with Gnome. Although i think I'm gonna replace it with something unrelated to the Ubuntu fork of Debian. I don't want to have any influences of Mir(I know many forks will use Wayland.) Also fuck Gnome, So many bugs.

>> No.38418727

Starch Ryne Husk.
Muh arch build system.
No windoze because programming on windows is a nightmare

>> No.38418796

windows 7

Not even going to bullshit here. I am lazy and do not want to have to go through the trouble of learning to use something I am not used to. I do play games but I am not going to lie and say its the only reason I use windows. Linux offers everything that windows does, just is something you have to work towards using. I've used fedora 13 iirc for about 6 months, but lost my shit when I thought it wrote over my storage array. Several other user related issues later and didn't want to deal with it any longer.

>> No.38418856

Ubuntu, because I'm not a masochist.

>> No.38418926
File: 198 KB, 1000x1000, Wings + Horns Long Sleeve Thermal Crewneck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38418926

OS X
- *NIX
- A lot of Linux tools through homebrew package manager
- Still a lot of professional software
- Some neat web development apps
- Good Design

>> No.38418982

Windows 7
Windows Vista
Ubuntu 12.04

>> No.38419017

>>38415610
Windows 7
It just works

>> No.38419845

Now: Xubuntu 12.04
Tomorrow: Manjaro 0.8.8
Day after that: Either of the above depending on how Manjaro goes.

Xubuntu does what I need and the LTS works well with my graphics card. Will be trying new kernels and free drivers tomorrow with Manjaro and will stick with it if all goes ok.

>> No.38420523

>>38415610
Parabola GNU/Linux

>> No.38420555

Work: OS X, don't really love it or hate it
Home: Windows, muh vidya

>> No.38420700

>>38415661
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>> No.38420727

Arch. I almost exclusively use it because it has some really good documentation + the AUR.

>> No.38423422

>>38415610
Linux Mint 15 64-bit Cinnamon Edition atm; backup 68% complete

Upgrading to Linux Mint 16 64-bit Cinnamon Edition

Most things are already installed (Flash Player, Java, proprietary codecs and drivers, etc.) and feels like Windows 98 SE/XP, the OS I grew up with

>> No.38423473

Mint13
It's the last version having sane default programs.

>> No.38423514

>>38415610
Arch linux

I get shit done on it without having someone else make choices for me plain and simple. It supports downright everything I could ever want to do and more, while keeping my anus relatively NSA free.

Gaming? LoL DotA UT3 and a load of other games on Steam that I never even play
Parametric CAD + CNC toolpaths? UG NX 9 from rutracker runs just fine
Coding? QtCreator
Security? More than you can write in 2000 chars, and certainly more than any windows

Need a controller for CNC machine? Windows can't into realtime? It's K linuxCNC has my back

HURR ARCH IS AN UNSTABLE PIECE OF SHIT FOR RICERS
lol i installed 6 months ago and am currently on 0 unexpected failures. no Xorg, nothing.

loonix has spoiled me HARD

>> No.38423523

OpenBSD
Because it just works on my Thinkpad.

>> No.38423527

Arch.
It just werks, I'm not even good at linux. I like the up to date packages and AUR.

The install is ridiculous though, but the wiki was easy to follow. It really needs an installer...

>> No.38423539

Windows 7
because it's what was stock on my laptop, I don't use my laptop for anything at all other than 4 chan, Netflix, YouTube, and pornography
I play games on nexus 7 and galaxy s4

>> No.38423550

>>38415610
Win 8 for games
OSX for browsing and programming
Arch ricing

>> No.38423552

>>38423527
It does, it has installscripts.
It used to have a step by step installer.

>> No.38423558

>>38415610
Windows 8 (with startisback)
>Games
>Drivers
>Netbeans and Sql developer just work.
>I can use my legitimate copy of office
>Got Windows 8 for free because of premium dreamspark.

>> No.38423567

windows 7 enterprise on desktop (gaming, work), windows 8.1 Professional on laptop (gaming, work, hyper-v)

>> No.38423582

>>38415610
Debian
Feels like a reasonable middle ground between babby's first distro and autist bullshit.

>> No.38423632

iOS because I'm lazy and this is easy...why am I even here?

>> No.38423672

>>38415610
Arch Linux

because, I'm look like i would know something but in the end when something brake i cry.

No seriously, i like it's minimalism and pacman is a really nice package manager.

>> No.38423688

Arch Linux
because i can bild it from the base up and it fits my needs

>> No.38423733

tablet: android 4
phone: ios 7
desktop: win8 with start8
home server: centos 6
laptop: os x mountain lion

They all work well for different things... used linux on the desktop from fedora 4 to 9 because it was useful and stable and i didnt really have a need to run windows and liked tweaking things. after ten years of dicking around with display and wifi drivers i started using windows / mac more and more because i want things to work when i need them.

>> No.38423751

>>38415610
Mavericks

sexy ui, much applications, Apple developers steal only useful stuff from other os (not like Microsoft, who copy all kinds of shit)...

>> No.38423772

>What OS are you using
Slackware

>and why do you like it.
It feels easier and simpler for me than other distros. I like the level of control I have over it.

It's also rock solid stable, which is nice.

>> No.38423775

Arch.
I don't really need a reason.

>> No.38423791

>>38415610
Windows 7 Ultimate w/ Funtoo dualboot

>> No.38423808
File: 110 KB, 286x500, tux-tan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38423808

GNU/Linux, mostly Debian
It just werks. Seriously, the amount of things that just werk on my servers is stunning. No wasting time with license shit, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) accepts LDAP authentification. I never want to fuck around with a Microsoft system again, it doesn't just werk at all.

>> No.38423840

>>38415610
Windows 7.
Games.

>> No.38423843

>>38415610
Debian
It just works, big repos, upgrades without breaking.

>> No.38423847

debian

because it's easy to maintain and i can get my work done on it. i can't say that about windows, and i can barely say it about OS X.

>> No.38423868

>>38415610
Two months on Mint 15 Cinnamon till two days ago
Now Arch linux , worth the time learning to maintain linux without baby distro guiding
>muh freedom to build it to my likings from the start
>up to date packs & AUR
>it werks
It's good os.

>> No.38423901

Main laptop: Win7 Pro
T60 for uni stuff: Debian testing (soon replaced with crunchbang+wheezy-backports)
Old computer/"server": crunchbang with wheezy-backports

I'm still trying to find good distro. Crunchbang has been the best so far. I might install centos to the server in the future. Just might learn something useful.

>> No.38423904

>>38423868
>"Learning" things on a desktop
You're doing it wrong. The desktop has to just werk without having to do anything (You want to roll it out to your users after all). The interesting parts are on servers, which is where you need to know things to get it to run right.

>> No.38423930

>>38423904
>Willing to learn is doing it wrong.
Alright

>> No.38423952

windows 7 I'm just used to windows by now
been using it since 95

also win 8.1 on a 8" tablet is somewhat decent but I wouldn't use it on a desktop or laptop

>> No.38423962
File: 18 KB, 171x103, Funtoologo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38423962

Funtoo.

I love the degree of control, and it's surprisingly easy to maintain.

>> No.38423967

I use Linux as well. Manjaro Linux but I'm moving to Arch as soon as I have time.
I use Linux because of these people's reasons:
>>38415635
>>38415661
>>38415689
>>38415715

>> No.38423973

Plan 9
Because I don't like wasting my time

>> No.38424108
File: 74 KB, 625x625, gibe monies plox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38424108

Windows 7.
Because software corporations like corporation made OSes and only release their software for them.

>> No.38424109

Debian Jessie. I get reasonably up-to-date software that works with all my stuff and is still very stable. In about two years (assuming I stick with it) I get an OS that is secure enough for a mission critical server, which will be supported for another two years, then about one more as "oldstable".

>> No.38424120

Xubuntu. Cause GNOME is for fuckwits and Unity is gayer than a 200 all-man orgy.

>> No.38424134

>>38416339
> Crunchbang fags should be saying Crunchbang/debian

Crunchbang/debian/GNU/Linux plz

>> No.38424184

>>38423930
You're learning it wrong. Fixing things on a desktop is like vacuum cleaning in the sahara. You'll see once you need to support 200+ clients.

>> No.38424220

Trisquel with no X

>> No.38424236

>>38424184
Oh ok,than give me that 200 clients and i will be glad to learn.
What you are saying is like "Why dont you know quantum physics ? You are only in middle school and learning basic ? You are doing it wrong kid."

>> No.38424238

>>38415610
>Windows
>Cause linux is too 1337 for me

>> No.38424431

>>38415610
Xubuntu 13.10 and W7 dual boot. Games on W7 and everything else on Xubuntu. I have been using linux mainly for three years now and couple weeks ago installed W7 because new i5 and 280x. Installing process of windows made me physically sick.

>> No.38424443

>>38415610
Arch Linux, Windows requires too much maintenance.

>> No.38424454

>>38424431
>Installing process of windows made me physically sick.
I know those feels. It feels so backwards.

>> No.38424508

>>38415610
Antergos (arch)
No dual boot. We have enough games on Linux now to cover me.

>It just werks
>Security: Have fun with malware windows faggots.
>Customisation: I control how my desktop operates. I don't want a tablet interface thank you.
>Freedom: I don't want my entire operating system running closed source software from NSA friends.
Cost: The price is right.
Superior code: Everything with the exception of GPU drivers is of a much higher standard than bindows or OSX.

>> No.38425265
File: 607 KB, 1920x1080, mageia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38425265

I was on kubuntu until last week, with a dualboot on archlinux. Kubuntu just werks but bloated with akonashit, you can't remove it without removing KDE. Arch was great except wifi issues.

Now i definitely switched on Mageia because Mandrake was a god tier distro and it has every tools you need. And you can uninstall akonadi but keep KDE.

I don't understand KDE haters, KDE is very customizable and you don't loose time editing .conf files like you do on arch.

>> No.38425346

Linux Mint because it's secure and no harder to use than Windows.

>> No.38425415
File: 29 KB, 793x494, 1385792785544.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38425415

>>38424443
Genuinely made me laugh. Thanks anon.

>> No.38425440

Windows 8.1
To lazy to change or even care what else is out there. All I do is watch my chinese cartoons, browse the web and do some simple Uni assignments in Eclipse.

>> No.38425515

On my PC I'm using Windows 7, my tablet has 8.1 and these two are my work and gaymin computers because I need Office and a few design tools.

My server runs Ubuntu, next time a LTS release rolls round I'll reassess that and I'm thinking I'll switch to Debian.

My laptop runs Elementary because it's pretty and doesn't tell me it's broken every time I start it up the way Unity does.

>> No.38425525

Muh games desktop: Windows 8.1
Laptop: OS X 10.9

I like OS X because it's simple and stable so far. Windows for muh games. Will probably built a more dedicated gaming PC once more games are ported to Linux.

Not using Linux because I don't really need its features.

>> No.38425528

>>38415610
I use OS X on a MPB: stable, easy to work with, fast, reliable, tons of apps, it just works.
I use Linux: fun to customize, it's free, stable enough, runs my apps, make Microsoft mad.

>> No.38425561

Windows 7 professional
use it for work and pleasure all business applications on it and have to use word & excel unfortunately because boss wont accept anything else also i dont have to waste time in work fiddling with drivers so i just get my job done and go home
might install a linux distro on a home terminal some time in the future

>> No.38425714

>>38416433
Try one of the spin-off of arch like manjaro

>> No.38425952
File: 10 KB, 256x256, roundel256.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38425952

i use ubuntu gnome saucy as my main computer.
honestly, it's all the "just werks" from ubuntu without the unity bullshit. and after disabling those long ass animations it is snappy as fuck.

>> No.38425961

Funtoo

fast, libre, just works

>> No.38426076

Windows on my desktop for muh games.
Arch on my macbook for muh bleeding-edge.
OpenSUSE on my thinkpad because its the only distro that just werks out of the box on my t42.
Debian on my server because its stable.

>> No.38426121

fedora & win7 for muh games on desktop
#! on notebook
freebsd on server

>> No.38426320

windows 8.1
It runs all the programs I require
It runs all the games I want to play
I prefer the new interface

>> No.38426344

Dual boot Windows 7 + Debian

>Windows 7
Muh gaymes
VNs

>Debian
Everything else

>> No.38426377

>>38415610
Arch Linux cause it lets me build it from a base system.

>> No.38426408

Desktop: Windows for Games
Laptop: Windows/Mint, WIndows for school (Required for program) and mint for running VMs and everything i can get away with.

>> No.38426411

I'm using Android Open Kang Project; I'm not sure if I lime it, it seems to be using a lot more RAM and battery.

>> No.38426415

>>38415610

Dual boot with

> Windows 7 Ultimate
Games and non-free softwares not available on Linux (PS, Vegas etc.). Works pretty well compared to Win8.

> Linux Mint 16
Fast, sexy when themed out a bit. Ubuntu base so supports the awesome PPA system. Most of the software that comes to Linux mainly comes to Ubuntu.

>> No.38426422

>>38415661
Arguably since GNU is merely an addition on top of the linux kernel and is powerless without it, we should be taken to calling it Linux+GNU.

>> No.38426427

>>38415610
Gentoo Linux

Flexibility (via USE flags), very user-friendly interface. Good support for software I use regularly (eg. Haskell).

>> No.38426438

>>38426408

Out of curiosity, what's that program that you use? Couldn't you just use WINE or use it in a Virtual Machine like you say you use?

>> No.38426445

Mint

It's DE looks the best and is the most like windows

>> No.38426482

>>38415610
Windows 7. Does what I need it to do, is fast, never crashes, and looks good. GNU/Linux users, no matter what you say, Windows is and will always be free. Ever heard of DazLoader?

>> No.38426487

#!

Works nicely on my netbook
Doesn't give me driver issues
Doesn't have a lot of preinstalled shit
Comes with openbox

>> No.38426489

>>38415728
> unity
Ubuntu is an south-african word that means 'I need to poorly reimplement existing things' (e.g. bazaar, mir, unity, upstart).

>> No.38426494

>>38415610
>What OS are you using and why do you like it.
I use a GNU distribution (Debian GNU)
because it does what I need.

>> No.38426495

>>38426422
GNU is merely the operating system base for everything and Linux is merely the kernel program that is paired with the GNU OS.

>> No.38426560

>>38415610
>>What OS are you using and why do you like it.

Hardened Debian Wheezy

Because Debian is pretty much stable. I use a hardened environment to confine the java crap.

>> No.38426577

>>38415661
Or just call it linux.
No one cares about your autism.

>> No.38426653

>>38426577
Linux is the kernel

>> No.38426664

>>38426653
Linux is based on UNIX which is a OS.

>> No.38426683

>>38426653
Again, no one fucking cares. Just stop being autistic.

>> No.38426685

>>38426664
>Linux is based on UNIX
Linux is inspired by the Minix kernel. It's not a UNIX. Mac OS X is UNIX.
GNU+Linux implement POSIX (a standard created by GNU)

>> No.38426688

>>38426664
Linux is a kernel which was written in order for people to be able to use something without having to pay for it.

>> No.38426700

>>38426664

No, Linux (or GAHNOO+Linux) was created from scratch, intended to be a free Unix clone

>> No.38426713

>>38426688
From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them :-)

Linus ([email protected])

PS. Yes – it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-( .

>> No.38426730

>>38426713
Linus only got as far as the kernel program. He had to rely on some other OS to be an OS.

>> No.38426741

>>38426683
Autism cannot be stopped, it is a biological reality. That's like asking water to stop being wet.

>> No.38426757

>>38426741
another autist, great.

>> No.38427181

Windows 7 Ultimate

*Supports every hardware I have and new ones
*Drivers
*Ease of use
*Aero features
*Nice system tools like: Bitlocker, System Recovery, Restore point & more
*Big consumer software base
*Gratis Software updates when you buy the OS
*Community forums for Windows, every error can be fixed by searching the internet
*Customizability to some degree, but even more with 3rd party software
*Pretty fast OS
*File properties are displayed in the Windows
*Taskbar


There are a lot more stuff which I don't use often but are nice.

>> No.38427768

1. Windows 8
2. Because it was free for students, video games and greater software catalog than Linux

On the otherhand...
Why I don't like it: Fuck the UI

>> No.38427783

*8.1

>> No.38427966

Windows 8.1

It's faster than previous versions of Windows, does everything I need it to.

>> No.38428002

>Debian sid
As easy to use as Ubuntu, but more up to date, much less patched and easily "hackable"

>Lubuntu
Better for games because proprietary drivers don't tend to break the whole system like Debian

>> No.38428037

There are still a lot of people using Windows 7? Why O_O

Windows 8 is so much better at this point...plus it's so much fucking faster

>> No.38428057

Windows

Because I'm not insecure about how other nerds view me. I don't have to pretend I like using underdeveloped software like those guys to have confidence in myself.

>> No.38428118

>What OS are you using
Windows 7

>and why do you like it.
I'm used to using windows and it's better than the other operating systems when it comes to gaming. It also does everything else I want, so I don't see any need for using OSX or Linux. Also I'm too lazy to torrent and install 8.1.

>> No.38428194

openSUSE

Because it love its song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkDJk5_9eU

>> No.38428233
File: 43 KB, 640x480, 1383602574212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
38428233

>>38428194
>>38428194

I really need to learn English.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action