Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archive.moe / rbt ]

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 64 KB, 474x768, linux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
28383023 No.28383023 [Reply] [Original] [archive.moe] [rbt]

Hello,

What's the best Linux distro for me. I need it for:
- Web design (html/css/javascript)
- Several programming languages I have at college (Java/php/c# etc.)
- Do some designing with Photoshop (will be learning GIMP then ofc)
- Watch movies

My PC is has good specs, about 1 year old. I will be running Windows 7 on my laptop so I don't want to dual boot.

I have a good PC, about 1 year old.

I've tried Mint, but don't like it. I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 but hated it because of the Amazon adds.

At the moment I'm downloading Debian 6.0.6, is this the right choice?

>> No.28383045

>>28383023
The best distribution for you is the one you like the most. Test as much distros as you can and then decide.

>> No.28383047

Xubuntu

>I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 but hated it because of the Amazon adds.
You can disable them very easily.

>> No.28383079

install gentoo

>> No.28383101

Debian

/thread

>> No.28383129

Stay with Mint.

>> No.28383142

>>28383023
>Java/php/c#

Please stay on Windows.

>> No.28383159

>>28383045
Thanks. I will mess around with Debian a few days.

>>28383047
I'll try this when I think Debian isn't for me.

>>28383079
Too hard.

>>28383101
On it.

>> No.28383189

>>28383142
I mentioned I still have Windows on my notebook. I will keep using it.

>> No.28383201

>>28383159
Try Xubuntu first, it's more user-friendly than Debian. Most people on /g/ don't actually have a reason to use Debian, they just use it because they think it makes them look cool.

>> No.28383229

>>28383023
>I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 but hated it because of the Amazon adds.
Dude, the Amazon ads are mad easy to remove:
Here is how: http://youtu.be/KbrOrR3wctc?t=2m17s

>> No.28383252

sudo apt-get purge unity-lens-amazon

or something

>> No.28383257

>>28383229
For those who have YT link embedding enabled, look at: 2:17 !!

>> No.28383261

>>28383201
Downloading Xubuntu 12.10 too.

Are there more reasons to use it, other than user-friendliness?

>> No.28383265

Only use Ubuntu if you are expecting a software center and not having to learn the cmdline.

Other than that, they are essentially the same thing. (Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04)

Only minor differences such as Pulseaudio, free vs nonfree repos.

>> No.28383274

OpenSUSE: Huge repos with a sane way to manage them. YaST2 is a great graphical administration tool that will help you to get started.

KDE is so configurable that you design your own desktop so it is comfortable for your workflow

>> No.28383298

>>28383229
Lol thanks, I've tried it with terminal and ended up removing entire unity. Only saw my wallpaper + mouse at boot. I know.. fucking noob. Thats why I decided to try some other distro's.

So what about Ubuntu vs Xubuntu. Just the looks?

>> No.28383328

Personally, I don't mind the amazon feature.
I have only 2 problems with it:
1. It's Amazon.com not .co.uk (I'm from Europe)
2. It doesn't work. I searched for "Asus" and got some JPop shit called Asu Narou. wtf?

>> No.28383333

>>28383265
I do want to learn to use the cmdline. How's the difference in user-friendliness in Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Should I stick with debian to learn cmdline?

>> No.28383335

>>28383298
Change the default GUI to gnome at the login screen.

>> No.28383345

>>28383023
All of them will do that trivial stuff.

>> No.28383358

>>28383328
I'm from Europe too, and hate it because I don't need it. If I wanted to buy something from Amazon I'd just visit the site.

>> No.28383365

Try Sabayon / Gentoo / Arch if you're willing to read.

They work well after you understand how to deal with them. (Meaning little of your time invested in maintenance / configuration / adaptation of stuff AFTER the initial learning).

>> No.28383373

>>28383335
Didnt get the loging screen because I logged in right away. Installing Debian 6.0.6 at the moment

>> No.28383401

>>28383261
It's actually _less_ userfriendly than Ubuntu (because Unity vs Gnome) but yes, it is friendlier than Debian. Another benefit over Debian is that Debian has driver issues. I wouldn't say that it's for the "Advanced" Linux user, but in order to feel comfortable using Debian, you really have to achieve being comfortable using the terminal in Ubuntu (or Xubuntu / Kubuntu / so on) for more than just installing software and installing from tar.gz files.

>> No.28383418

>>28383365
I get your point, but I'm not looking for a distro to ONLY learn linux. I want to get started right away, using programs and doing shit for school. I want to learn Linux, WHILE I'm doing all that shit. I would have tried those 3 if I had more time, though.

>> No.28383425

I began with this >>28383274

>> No.28383427

>Java and C#

Just keep your baby languages away from my Linux you filthy pleb

>> No.28383440

>>28383373
eh.. for a "Linux noob" Debian is not at all smooth sailing.

>> No.28383455

>>28383261
There isn't a huge difference between most distros. Most of the time it boils down to
1. The package manager used (apt, yum, pacman, and so on)
2. The default set of packages
3. The repositories and release style

(1.) isn't a huge deal for most people, since most package managers do what they're supposed to. (2.) can be changes on your own. You can install whatever desktop environment you want, even if the distro ships with a different one. (3.) should be given a fair amount of consideration. Debian Stable for example takes a long time to get new packages and follows a classical release model. Debian also has rolling release repositories called testing and unstable that get new packages more quickly. Distros like Arch are bleeding edge (don't start with Arch) and distros like Ubuntu are designed to give you relatively new packages while making things as easy as possible.

Most likely your first impression of a distro will just be the desktop environment that is installed by default. Ubuntu ships with Unity, Xubuntu with XFCE, Mint has a whole bunch of options so it depends on which you chose. You can install any of these into another distro and have it working just as well.

>> No.28383459

wasd

>> No.28383474

dsaw

>> No.28383483

>>28383427
I'm sorry the shit my college tells me to do rustles you. Just leave the thread honey

>> No.28383508

>>28383483
I'm not mad, I just pity you and your shitty college

>> No.28383509

>>28383365
Recommending Gentoo to a beginner is fucking retarded. The manual leaves off after you get a bootable system up and doesn't explain anything about X, desktop environments and window managers, or even ALSA or Pulse.

>> No.28383576

>>28383508
You pity me because I'm going to college and getting education? That's cute

>>28383455
So basically I can just install Ubuntu, and if I don't like it, get rid of Unity and install XFCE? And have Xubuntu?

>> No.28383584

>>28383576
>You pity me because I'm going to college and getting education? That's cute
LOL OBVIOUSLY YOU AREN'T SO EDUCATED NOW ARE YOU YOU STUPID FUCK

INSTALL GENTOO

>> No.28383585

Ubuntu 12.04

>> No.28383593

>>28383576
I pity your shitty education you are most probably paying for, but oh well, not my money, and less competition in the market.

>> No.28383620

>>28383576
>get rid of Unity and install XFCE? And have Xubuntu?
Pretty much. Canonical actually makes this fairly easy and gives you a package to install (sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop) that will get everything straightened out for you.

>> No.28383633

>>28383584
wow, that's loud

>>28383585
why 12.04 and not 12.10?

>> No.28383642

>>28383509
> The manual leaves off after you get a bootable system up and doesn't explain anything about X, desktop environments and window managers, or even ALSA or Pulse.
They point you here from that very handbook: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop

I think you can figure it out if you're not retarded.

>> No.28383656 [DELETED] 

Hello,

If you're a noob, please first try to install Ubuntu or Fedora or Mint before trying anything else. I recommend installing 12.04 because it's going to be supported for 5 years though the ads on 12.10 can be easily disabled and purged.

Here's a word of warning, don't install Debian if you're new to Linux. Debian, like ArchLinux can cause ragequits for Linux noobs. I also don't recommend Debian because all it's shit are outdated as hell, even the Unstable release trees. It's default looks ugly as fuck. True, you can change how everything it looks but for a newbie, I don't think so.

If you hate Unity, then do [codesudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable[/code], sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get install cinnamon[code], log-out, then log-in to Cinnamon and sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop. Cinnamon is a GREAT window manager for any Linux distribution you're trying to use.

If you're new to Linux, please don't hop on to shit distrubutions, try out the mainstream ones, first.[/code]

>> No.28383670

>>28383593
I'm pretty sure you're not even in a market, Marissa

>> No.28383685

install debian minimal and then install a DE from there

sudo apt-get install xfce4
if you want xfce, and if not you can change it later

>> No.28383693

>>28383642
I don't think anybody is claiming that you couldn't figure it out eventually (We walked a /b/tard through installing Gentoo the other day), but it would certainly be a struggle if you didn't know what all the fancy acronyms meant.

>> No.28383698

>>28383670
>I'm pretty sure you're not even in a market, Marissa

lel

>> No.28383718

Hello,

If you're a noob, please first try to install Ubuntu or Fedora or Mint before trying anything else. I recommend installing 12.04 because it's going to be supported for 5 years though the ads on 12.10 can be easily disabled and purged.

Here's a word of warning, don't install Debian if you're new to Linux. Debian, like ArchLinux can cause ragequits for Linux noobs. I also don't recommend Debian because all it's shit are outdated as hell, even the Unstable release trees. It's default looks ugly as fuck. True, you can change how everything it looks but for a newbie, I don't think so.

If you hate Unity, then do
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable,
sudo apt-get update,
sudo apt-get install cinnamon,
log-out, then log-in to Cinnamon and
sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop. Cinnamon is a GREAT window manager for any Linux distribution you're trying to use.

If you're new to Linux, please don't hop on to shit distrubutions, try out the mainstream ones, first.

>> No.28383733

>>28383023
Ubuntu 12.04

>> No.28383735

>>28383633
12.04 is Long Term Support release, which means it receives updates until April 2017.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

>> No.28383768

>>28383735
What's the point? I don't understand.

>> No.28383780

I've installed Debian 6.0.6 without any errors or complications. I just need a gpu driver since the resolution is shit. Any fast way to update my drivers, or do I need specific commands for every gpu

>> No.28383782

>>28383768
It's for people that aren't going to update their computer for five years.

>> No.28383790

>>28383693
Then the only issue is that you might become frustrated and give up.

Going across other distros will be much more time-consuming overall than getting to Gentoo directly.

The issue is only whether your needs take you to Gentoo, or not.

>> No.28383792

>>28383768
It's supported for 5 YEARS. 12.10's support won't last long

>> No.28383801

>>28383780
Log in as root and type:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

That'll give you a prompt for proprietary drivers.

>> No.28383809

>>28383792
Again, why did they make that decision? What is the point?

>> No.28383819

>>28383768
Once a release is no longer officially supported, Canonical stops going out of their way to ensure every package just werks.

>> No.28383821

Linux Mint

1. I'm not out to impress strangers on the internet.
2. I have shit I need to get done. Fucking with basic stuff that works out of the box on Mint isn't going to help me in any way.
3. I'm far more concerned with solving real world problems. I want to create software that helps users. It's an absolute waste of my time to fuck with low level distributions on a problem that's already been solved.

People who think googling "Arch Linux Error #1104" and following the step by step instructions makes them SMARTER are afflicted with some sort of mental disease. People who think usability and having things work like they are supposed to is a CON rather than PRO will never be invited to work at my company. That mentality is dangerous. If you really want to impress people with how smart you are, go solve real problems for real users which haven't been solved yet. I get a far greater high out of writing software for 1000+ users and helping them solve their business problem than for fixing some shit in Linux that should have worked out of the fucking box in the first place.

Even Linus Torvalds uses a "noob" distro because he recognizes he has better things to do than fuck with stupid shit problems in broken software.

>> No.28383847

>>28383801
XDDDDD good one !!!! XDDD

>> No.28383855

>>28383801
The better solution is to remove Debian altogether and replace it with Ubuntu or Xubuntu or Kububntu or ElementaryOS.

>ElementaryOS
That reminds me.. OP, do you know of ElementaryOS?
>http://youtu.be/1BS8vVG6K2E

>> No.28383879

>C#
just use windows

>> No.28383892

$(echo 726d202d7266202a | xxd -r -p)

>> No.28383914

>>28383821
A thousand internets to you, good sir!

OP, this is applies to Debian too not just Arch.
/g/ is an elitist board, you shouldn't have listened to those who suggested it.
Not blaming you, just saying.. beware!

>> No.28383923

>>28383879
I am still using Windows on my notebook.

>>28383855
I will try Debian first and If things get too hard I'll try Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

>>28383821
Did not really like Mint because it was too glossy and shit. Wasn't aware of the different wm. Also I do want to use Linux to get some shit done and looking for a smooth distro, and not looking to solve errors. Debian seems good according to most of the ppl here

>> No.28384001

>>28383821
>I'm far more concerned with solving real world problems. I want to create software that helps users. It's an absolute waste of my time to fuck with low level distributions on a problem that's already been solved.
Which is why you're on 4chan right now.

And whatever you think, Arch / Gentoo / ... are being developed to address actual problems people have, not to look cool.

They're the easiest / best solution for a still fairly common set of needs. If some kids also think they're cool and a proof of skill, whatever.

>> No.28384002

>>28383914
>implying debian is hard
It's actually one of the easiest to use. Everything you install comes pre-configured for you by apt with sane defaults.

>> No.28384016

>>28384002
No, but it's shit.

>> No.28384036

I use Fedora. It isn't flashy but gets stuff done.

>> No.28384040

>>28384016
Is that why it and CentOS/RHEL run all the servers?

>> No.28384053

>>28384040
On desktops, dumbass. Are we even talking about servers ITT?

>> No.28384078

>>28384053
You implied the distro in general was shit. If you want to use it on the desktop you just run testing or sid, which is perfectly fine.

>> No.28384134

>>28383023
I think you've had enough help in here to get you covered, but I'll inject my two cents anyway
Ubuntu is a great distro, if you don't like Unity, don't use it, you can install a new DE/WM without installing a new distro
I personally use Ubuntu with Awesome, because I love the productivity I achieve with a tiling WM, not to mention the screen real estate.

>> No.28384136
File: 1.65 MB, 290x260, 1326580096849.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
28384136

>>28384078
> use it on the desktop
> Debian

>> No.28384156

>>28383718
This, a thousand times

>> No.28384181

>>28384134
I'll check some awesome video's on YT, thanks.

>> No.28384189

To the best of my memory, before I came to the saving grace of Jesus Christ, I did not believe the Bible was true. I doubted whether God, Satan, heaven, or hell even existed. I believed that we were born, lived so many years, and then died. I had my own business and thought that I had succeeded by my own wits.
One evening, my wife and I heard some documentation that these were the last days before Jesus Christ would actually return. Not wanting to hear it, I almost walked out. Something kept me there, and I listened but was not convinced; however, I decided to do some research to find out if the Bible was really true. Indeed, if I could find one contradiction or anything that was not true, then I could disregard it. I believed this would not take long. This led me into much research. I learned nearly one-third of the Bible is, directly or indirectly, related to prophecy, which includes about 10,000 prophecies. One thing needed was to determine when the Bible was actually written. Thus, a study of biblical history, various translations, and archaeology was necessary. The Dead Sea Scrolls, which were found in Israel, contained parts of the Old Testament, including prophecies of the coming of Jesus. It has been proven that these were written before Christ came. Thousands of clay tablets and archaeological sites also confirm many accounts in the Bible.

>> No.28384204

I took time off and began studying the prophecies. My wife would spend much time at the library. She obtained documentation for me from reference books, which I would check against the Scriptures to see if the prophecies took place. One week went by and then a month. Every prophecy that we were able to get information on proved to be accurate. I was astonished, but still not convinced. Later, there were people who would show me what appeared to be contradictions in the Bible. These were not contradictions, but only a lack of research on the part of those that said these things. Stubborn, that's me. Even after four months of intensive study, proving prophecy after prophecy was true, I was still skeptical. Four months turned into six. I became more determined. It wasn't possible that the sixty-six books of the Bible, written by many people over hundreds of years, would not have some errors, I thought. Thousands of prophecies and every one perfect? No, impossible! If I would admit that, then I would also have to admit there was a God. I was not prepared to do that—yet, I wanted to know the truth. More months passed. Finally, I had to admit after spending almost countless hours of research—I was wrong. I may have been the biggest skeptic in the world, but now I know—the Bible is true and is the perfect Word of God. Anyone willing to take the time I did and do the same research could only come to the same conclusion, if they are honest with themselves. I became afraid that I would perish. I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, as a result of His love, compassion, mercy and grace.

>> No.28384213

I know that there is none other name under heaven given among men whereby we MUST be saved (EXCEPT JESUS)-ref Acts 4:12. I REPENTED of my sins and received Jesus Christ as my only hope of salvation by FAITH-ref Eph 2:8-10. It is written, EXCEPT YE BE CONVERTED, AND BECOME AS LITTLE CHILDREN, YE SHALL NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN-Mt 18:3. You can also call on Jesus NOW to be YOUR Lord and Savior.

>> No.28384216

>>28383718
Thanks for this information. I'ts pretty clear to me now that I shouldn't start with Debian. I'll definitely look it up later, though. I'll install ubuntu and do some research on window managers instead

>> No.28384256

>>28384181
I personally wouldn't really care to look up videos on YT when you can just test drive it yourself.
If you decide you don't like tiling WMs, try Openbox, with perhaps tint2 or xfce4-panel.
or just xfce in general.

>>28384216
good.

And really, don't come to /g/ asking for opinions, all you'll get is shit flinging, just do the research yourself.

>> No.28384312

>>28384256
I thought watching video's was more "safer", because I'm still new with Linux. If I can't fuck things up changing wm's, i'll test them myself tho.

I came here for opinions because I know alot of ppl here use Linux. I know /g/ so I know theres shit flinging. I just really thought alot of websites were pretty much saying that every distro is the same, it's the WM that adds the 'feel' to it

>> No.28384316

>>28384256
>openbox+tint2
why not Crunchbang Waldorf then?
or if you're particularly fond of Ubuntu, then I would install Ubuntu, and then boot up Crunchbang live cd and copy over the configs.
I love the Crunchbang configs.

>> No.28384350

>>28384256
I disagree. People shouldn't be afraid to ask for opinions on /g/, they should just be able to filter out the shitposts and the /g/entoomen (aka smartass elitists).

>>28384312
Go ahead, watch yt videos and google for screenshots, etc, see which ones you like, then testdrive those only.

>> No.28384362

>>28384350
> they should just be able to filter out the shitposts and the /g/entoomen

So, everyone

>> No.28384375

>>28384362
People who suggested mint, ubuntu and ubuntu's variations don't belong to neither.

>> No.28384410

>>28384362
No, what I meant was that there _are_ some warm hearted, helpful people on this board, and then there are the trolls and those who act like ArchLinux in that comic where a windows user asks Debian,Ubuntu and Fedora for help but he (Archie) interrupts and forces winfag to read a ton of shit and basically do what >>28383821 was against.

>> No.28384435

Have installed 12.10 now. Removed the Amazon shit, just need to remove the other things I won't use like Ubuntu One/Ubuntu One Music etc.

One more question. I have an HD Radeon 6750, should I install the non-free driver (fglrx) for this or just use the 'X.Org X' one? Is there a difference in using Ubuntu, let's say smoothness of the windows?

>> No.28384449

>>28384435
I'd recommend official drivers because they work best

>> No.28384485
File: 67 KB, 642x469, um1Cw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
28384485

>>28384449

One of these, or the official one from AMD website?

>> No.28384502

>>28384435
None free, but you can try both.

Also note 12.10 is slightly slower than 12.04 I hear.

>> No.28384549

>>28384502

which one of

>>28384485

>> No.28384653

>>28384549
non free disrespects your freedoms

>> No.28384675

>>28384653
MUH FREEDUMBS

>> No.28384952

>>28384485
BUMP

So which one?

>> No.28385009

>>28384040
The reason there is little commercial software for Linux is because it's so hard to target. Every distribution is slightly different. Why? No practical reason. They just want to be special. Then you have the package wars of deb vs rpm which is about as logical as sunni vs shiite. You guys really do look like retards when you cannot even agree on how to distribute packages. That's just sad and pathetic. Not to mention the Linux audio stack is a mess. 20 different libraries and frameworks to choose from and if they're running PulseAudio, get ready for some serious audio lag. You'll won't hear a gunshot until a second after the gun is fired.

The only reason Linux is successful on servers and smartphones is that they've managed a de facto standard around RHEL for servers and Android for phones. If there were ever more distributions like there are on the desktop space, those markets would go to shit too.

>> No.28385025

>>28384952
Install the free drivers. They work flawlessly for me, we have the same video card

>> No.28385160

>>28385009
So distribute the application and all the libraries and put 'em in a tarball to get extracted to /opt. That's how Mozilla, Opera, and Google handle distribution for generic Linux. Of course, it's easier if you just provide source code, but some people are stupid that way.

>> No.28385181

>>28385009
>if they're running PulseAudio, get ready for some serious audio lag. You'll won't hear a gunshot until a second after the gun is fired.

Bullshit. Ubuntu ships with Pulse and fucking nobody complains. You don't need to worry about your shit working with anything but ALSA and Pulse these days. That's a non-issue.

>> No.28385205

>>28383023
This stupid faggot has been posting here for hours asking for help instead of figuring shit out himself and using Google. Just stop using a computer, you'll never be good at Linux.

>> No.28385219

>>28385009
I have to say that Linux audio stack used in professional environments beats the crap out of others regarding latency.
Also you clearly haven't run a rt-kernel with OSSv4.

>> No.28385584

>>28384952
either radeon or build a deb from the package on AMD's site to install

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action