Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/g/ - Technology

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 7 KB, 259x194, serveimage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
70970772 No.70970772 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>come home
>mom tells me she was looking at medicare websites
>didn't give a phone number, email, name or anything else identifying her
>gets multiple phone calls from said websites following up with her

Okay normally I cringe when people here complain about the botnet, but this is a step too far. You're telling me that from our IP address they were able to tell not only whose computer it belonged to, but the name and contact info of the person behind the computer? That's ridiculous.

How do I prevent this from happening? I already have her using linux. Now I need to get her off Chrome and get a vpn but is that enough?

>> No.70970786

install Windows

>> No.70970789

>>70970772
>How do I prevent this from happening? I already have her using linux. Now I need to get her off Chrome and get a vpn but is that enough?
lmao

I setup a pi hole at my mother's house last time I visited without their knowledge. You gotta be blocking those nasty things from 'em. You're a horrible son.
>Forcing mom to use GNU/Linux.
lmao my god.

>> No.70970813

>>70970772
Your mother is retarded and probably gave all that shit as well as her social. Never trust old people and tech. You need to verify everything

>> No.70970834

You're forcing her to use linux? What's wrong with you?
That's like making a disabled person use a wheelchair with only one wheel

>> No.70970847

>>70970772
She almost certainty gave that stuff to them. But it's easy to find your home address with an IP address and go from there.

>> No.70970915
File: 31 KB, 500x565, 1556479149018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>70970772
>How do I prevent this from happening? I already have her using linux. Now I need to get her off Chrome and get a vpn but is that enough?
That's some good shit right here kek

>> No.70970918

>>70970834
Well force is the wrong word. More like she had windows 8 and i gave her mint. She likes it. Plus i dont have to come over and clean viruses out of it all the time

>> No.70970985

my mom wouldn't stop removing ublock origin on certain occassions (some legit sites would fuck up) despite telling her about the "power" button, and would install ublock (non-origin) to cover her tracks
she's finally started improving on that front but just in case I set her dns to adguard as a last resort

I think host based blocking would be too extreme and hard to keep updated regularly (for better or worse)

>> No.70971128

They can't, at least not in my country.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action