Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/g/ - Technology

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 427 KB, 1250x802, Gnulove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
70173277 No.70173277 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Is there a libre / free software single board computer I can use to run my home server? I don't need a GUI, as I maintain mostly everything via SSH. I currently use a raspberry pi 3b but it needs proprietary software to boot up the GPU, which boots up the SD card (linux).
I understand there are some single board computers (sbc) that run with libre software. I've read about SBC's like ROCK64 and ROCKPRO64 that run off of RK3328 ARM chipset or RK3399 ARM chipsets. These are mostly libre compatible, some thinks might not work, especially GPU acceleration but in a shell environment I shouldn't need those anyways.
The thing about the Pi, is it makes it foolproof to get the thing running. Just copy an image to an SD and insert it. Is there anything like that for a libre single board computer? I've been reading about this for at least two days and am now left with more questions than I had when I started.
If nothing else, I may fall back to a x86 Libreboot ThinkPad for cheap. All I need from it is "Power on AC Attach" to make sure it stays on as a server automatically as much as possible.
I run this system as my personal self-hosting server and as such, the security of the device is important to me, which is why I'm concerned about running proprietary software.
I'm hitting a niche because its becoming hard to find more information about what I'm trying to accomplish.

>> No.70173375

>>70173277
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

>> No.70173421

>>70173375
If you read that, it leads you to more questions than when you began. Notice how there isn't a single true FSF recommended SBC without issues. The Rock64 seems like a good candidate as does the RockPro64 since their respective GPU's are both being worked on by Libre projects. In fact, the person who wrote the article you linked has been involved in both of those GPU projects.
The only chipset on that list that is approved is an industrial SoC that costs at least $600.

>> No.70173469

I guess I'm hoping to hear from someone that has completed a project like I'm describing for some guidance and suggestions on where to go from here. A librebooted ThinkPad pre intel management engine is the alternative if I can't work out which SBC to get.
The Rock64, Libre Computer Renegate, seems acceptable and good cadidates. Allwinner sounds like a shitty cheating chink company with many GPL violations. It sounds best to avoid them. I'm thinking Rock64 and figure out how to run a free system from that point or Libreboot is the way to go for self-hosting.

>> No.70173474

What the fuck do you people do that requires such an autistic amount of energy to ensure you aren't being spied on? This is coming from someone that uses a ThinkPad with Linux on it. Like I'm all for open source software, but isn't there a point where the obsession is just a little...I don't know, pointless?

>> No.70173536

>>70173474
Off-topic. But to answer briefly, its because freedom is worth the inconvenience. Enjoy your botnet.

>> No.70173563

Interested too.

>> No.70173622

>>70173421
no check the list on wikipedia, there are affordable (~$100) mx6 devices, but don't expect any of them to be as cheap as the pi

>>70173474
why do you feel the need to apologize for the shitty behavior of certain hardware companies, and at the same time trivialize the efforts of people who are actually working hard to do something about it?

>> No.70173645

>>70173622
I'm going to dig into this a bit more, I must have missed the other imx6 options. hopefully someone can show up who knows a bit more about these things.
iMX6 may be a good candidate in this case then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.MX#i.MX_6_series

>> No.70173658
File: 10 KB, 292x168, Screenshot_2019-03-15_00-09-02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>70173622
Here are some boards that show up on "Hackerboard.com" that had keyword "iMX6" in their model number.

>> No.70173662

>>70173277
rock64

>> No.70173714

>>70173662
I'm thinking Rock RK3328 and RK3399 SoC SBC's are good options since they both have active projects that are working on Libre GPU drivers. In my case, I don't believe I need GPU acceleration since this is a self-hosted simple home server with no GUI or video encoding jobs to do.
The other candidates are obviously the iMX6 chips with the Vivante GC320, it has libre GPU support.
Still not sure where to get images or build a foss OS for these devices.

It looks like all the SoC (system on chip) devices listed on that FSF article from first poster, would work for this project considering it really doesnt require GPU support? I'm not sure the system would boot without gpu drivers though. I think this just affects acceleration for most of them.
The systems with fatal flaws (Rasp Pi, Exynos, Snapdragon, x86 based boards) are excluded because they either require proprietary software or need signed bootloaders that disallow free bootloaders.

>> No.70173750

So what I'm gathering is these systems without GPU drivers, can run Gnu/Linux distributions or android in most cases, but without free GPU drivers that have been developed, they will not run with GPU acceleration, but rather software rendering.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth may not work on some of the SoC's that are listed as "serious flaws" on that FSF.org link. This can typically be bybassed with a USB adapter with a free software-supported wifi radio.

>> No.70173809

>>70173645
>>70173658
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers#CPU,_GPU,_memory
sort by SoC and search freescale

>> No.70173858

>>70173809
Good list. I was reading about the Hummingboard Pro just now.
So provided one gets a iMX6 SoC.

I think the setup and configuring process for the system would be something like what is listed here on Debian's page?
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Wandboard

>> No.70174192

>>70173858
I cant wrap my head around how you'd build an image for a device like this.

>> No.70175140

I'm still reading about this. This link https://developer.solid-run.com/knowledge-base/i-mx6-debian/#use-upstream-debian seems to suggest, according to the OEM, that you can install debian net installer by using the net installer from block media. If you follow the link that it references, it outlines the process of setting it up. I think if you stick to Debian or some other free distro with ARM support, you can have a free system provided the kernel itself has the drives for your essential components.

>> No.70175188
File: 255 KB, 326x326, 1551790441547.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>70173277
Stop being a fucking Autist and just use a Raspberry Pi like everyone else

>> No.70175200
File: 28 KB, 749x454, eoma-micro-card_jpg_project-body.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

\me patiently continues to wait for the eoma68

>> No.70175227

>>70175188
no, RPi is just hype, I want a free device.
>>70175200
Looks good. Whats the hold-up on EOMA68? Ive been seeing it mentioned for awhile now. ARM modular system. Sounds interesting.

>> No.70175245

>>70175227
>Whats the hold-up
Chinese Newyear now I think.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates

>> No.70175428

I think I may get a Rock64 to try this out on. Should work fine without accelerated gpu if i just use a CLI and SSH right? Ill try Debian netinstall on a usb with Arm64 architecture. if that doesnt work i may try libreboot or fallback to a libreboot system. going to bed for now.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action