Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 35 KB, 830x467, 1512893212036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68032247 No.68032247 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Any of you have one of these?
I ended up with one (mid-2011, dedicated AMD model) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, W10 can't be properly installed and I'd rather avoid using OSX, Linux is out of the question too.
Is W8.1 good enough in the general sense? I thought 10 was a quick and cheap rebrand, so not sure if I'll run into the same driver compatibility issues.

>> No.68032338
File: 367 KB, 400x1650, 1518011627417.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68032338

>>68032247

>> No.68032457

>>68032338
based and redpilled

>> No.68032841

>>68032247
i got a g4 model of these

yes i still use powermacs

>> No.68032844

>>68032247
>iShit
found your problem.

>> No.68032854

>>68032338
iTODDLERS BTFO

>> No.68032892

>>68032247
Just install whatever Windows it does support and then upgrade it...

>> No.68032960

>>68032892
I tried installing 10 but found this annoying driver issue that made it crash over and over, I don't think upgrading from 8.1 it would work but I guess it's worth a try, I'm bored off my ass.
Isn't 8.1 basically an even shittier 10? at least regarding driver architecture and whatnot.
I had plenty of issues installing Linux too, also related to the same driver issues I believe, the whole "dedicated AMD GPU" seems like kind of a mess.

>> No.68032964

>>68032247
I'm pretty sure you need to do something special when imaging Windows on USB flash for it to be recognized on Macs. What AMD CPU btw? I thought all MacMinis were Intel.

>> No.68032986

>>68032960
10 has much better out of the box driver support than any prior Windows version. My old 2006 Mac Pro only supported Win7, but I was able to upgrade straight to 10 and the driver support was nite and day better on 10. Like 7 had virtually nothing working out of the box, and 10 was 100% usable.

>> No.68032992

>>68032247
>I'd rather avoid using OSX
>because i'm a fucking moron

ftfy

>> No.68033001

>>68032964
If the Mac can boot Windows from USB, it uses the same image and disc a PC would. You only have to get clever if the Mac is expecting to boot Windows from DVD.

>> No.68033008

>wanting to install Windows 10 on an old machine
Why?

>> No.68033020

>>68032992
>t. iToddler

>> No.68033025
File: 85 KB, 710x372, 1521022008635.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68033025

>>68032247
Sell it to some mactard moron and buy something 5X better for the money.

>> No.68033038

>>68033025
>sponsored ebay listing

>> No.68033081

>>68032986
They got this "faulty" (read: fucked up HDD) slightly older mac mini at work and I made it work with 10 perfectly fine, this one however is breaking my balls because of the whole AMD GPU mess I suspect.

>>68033025
This doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually.

>> No.68033109

>>68032841
Every classroom in the district I work in has one of these and I still have no idea what the fuck they're for

>> No.68033128
File: 66 KB, 895x168, 1510325788748.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68033128

>>68033025
how can macintrash even compete?

>> No.68033139

>>68033081
Ah fair enough; still I'm surprised Win10 doesn't just werk once upgraded. I've had really good luck with it on older Macs. That said, a mid-2011 should run at least High Sierra, so I don't see why you'd want to run Windows on it.

>> No.68033165

>>68033109
They were very affordable Macs at the time, but they are absolute dogs on 10.5. Not bad on Tiger though. They've been rigged up to run OS 9 now, and they're like tiny supercomputers for that OS.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.msg30502.html#msg30502

>> No.68033166
File: 152 KB, 594x648, 1509918479887.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68033166

>>68033139
>using fagOS

>> No.68033173

>>68033139
OSX is slow as shit on a 2014 MacMini. I'd hate to see what it's like on 2011.

>> No.68033174

>>68033166
I'll take it over a DOS shell

>> No.68033176

>>68033139
>t. Mactoddler

>> No.68033180

>>68033173
Likely due to the 5400RPM HDD, should be more than usable with an SSD.

>> No.68033190

>>68033180
>macos is so bloated and shit it requires an ssd
yikes

>> No.68033211

>>68033165
Oh, I thought the OP's pic was an Apple TV. My bad.

>> No.68033224

>>68033190
You're full of shit if you think any OS that doesn't run directly from RAM would be fun on a 5400RPM HDD.

>> No.68033230

>>68033211
First gen Apple TVs are indeed very stupid, you're not wrong there.

>> No.68033241

>>68033025
>>68033128
Bought 12 mid 2011 Mac mini servers for $400.

Your argument is invalid.

>> No.68033262

>>68033128
>dude you're getting a dell

>> No.68033267

>>68032247
Oh look, it's 4chans server.

>> No.68033272

>>68033224
That was somebody else, but I have Windows 7 on a 2007 MacMini and it's more responsive than the 2014 MacMini with High Sierra. I'm not blaming hardware or anything, but I do blame Apple for letting OSX wither on the vine. I guess things will get better when they start putting iPhone processors in these things and devote their full time to iOS. It can't get much worse.

>> No.68033283

>>68033165
yeah it's quite fascinating how people managed to get os9 to work on them, however when I run it I can't set the startup disk to os9 so I usually have to boot the os9 disc again lmao

>> No.68033289

>>68032247
wow installing windows on a mac is the most based and redpilled thing you can do

>> No.68033323
File: 735 KB, 1616x1639, 1531885535810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68033323

>>68033241
>2011
>$400
The ABSOLUTE state of mactoddlers.

>> No.68033332

>>68033139
It does support up to High Sierra, but people who will use it need window stuff, maybe I can make everything work with 8.1 though.

>>68033173
High Sierra is fast as shit, with an SSD that is, as the other poster said.

>> No.68033367

>>68033332
>High Sierra is fast as shit, with an SSD that is
I guess that's good to hear. The 2014 MacMini was a gift for my mom and I grabbed her old 07. It was the shitty version with Intel GMA. It always seems so damn slow when I need to hop on to fix something.

>> No.68033371

>>68033128
OP here's I'll probably just sell the Mac Mini and buy one of these. Thanks!

>> No.68033378

>>68033323
Not $400 each you retard, $400 for all 12.

i7 2635qm / 16gb / 2x 1tb hdd

>> No.68033385

>>68033367
>macshit
Found your problem.

>> No.68033389

>>68033272
Oh for sure, an OS as old as Win 7 is likely to run better than a GPU intensive OS like modern OS X would on older hardware with an integrated GPU. Even Win10 ran way faster on my 2006 Mac Pro than OS X 10.11 did.
sure.
>>68033323
>$33 per server
>basic math
the ABSOLUTE state of imbeciles

>> No.68033404

>>68033385
Yeah she wont use anything else. I'm not going to force Linux or Windows on her like an autist.

>> No.68033519

>>68032964
>AMD model
>which CPU
>The state of /g/

I think he means this is a 2011 macmini with an AMD graphics chip. Not CPU. Apple never made computers with AMD CPUs, ffs.

>> No.68033523

>>68033404
You should listen to your mom

>> No.68033545
File: 558 KB, 2016x1512, macmini10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68033545

>>68032247
I have that exact model and it runs windows 10 fine. I used to use it as a media server but now its just a PC set up in a corner so folks can jump on the net if needed.

>> No.68033600

>>68033545
Nice, then I guess I should look up them drivers better.
Intel HD graphics drivers I got were crashing the whole thing over and over, and it would seem the dedicated AMD GPU can't work without those for some reason I don't understand.

>> No.68033619

>>68033600
Oh...ok one correction that might be the issue. Mine is the Intel graphics only one. Not AMD....but its odd you can't find a driver that works.

>> No.68033633

>>68032247

> Not embracing Debian

It's the best OS for them, cuck!

>> No.68033676

>>68033523
She doesn't even understand the concept of hierarchical file systems. I love my mom.

>> No.68033886

>>68032338
Replace the Nintendo thing with Windows. Wangtards are worse than Apple useds.

>> No.68033905

>>68033886
>t. Mactoddler

>> No.68033942

>>68033905
t. Wangtard pajeet

>> No.68033971

>>68032247
RASPI IS MORE COMFY.

>> No.68034934

>>68033283
damn it seems im not the only one with that issue tiger startup disk isnt detecting the hacked os, has anyone even figured that out?

>> No.68034949

>>68034934
>macshit
Found your problem.

>> No.68035348
File: 100 KB, 291x321, Screenshot_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68035348

>>68034949
>archfag
found your problem

>> No.68035394

>>68032247
You can use one to run an iMessage server using weMessage that will forward iMessages to your android phone. Which is the iPhone's best feature.

>> No.68035402

OP why did you buy that piece of shit

You realize you could have bought a PowerMac G3 for peanuts online and upgraded it, total cost would have been around $700 but you'd have an objectively powerful machine

Instead you spent $500 on a piece of shit that was hot garbage even when new, and now is laughable and fit for the garbage-heap

Ironically because iToddlers are so retarded it probably has decent resale value though. Not because it's actually good for anything but because Apple fans will buy literally anything with a fruit on it.

>> No.68035471

>>68032338
>>68032844
>>68032854
>>68033020
>>68033128
>>68033166
>>68033176
>>68033323
>>68033385
>>68033905
>>68034949

>He doesn't know how to use more than one OS...

>> No.68035575

>>68035348
see >>68034949

>> No.68035652
File: 8 KB, 223x226, stopusingarchloser.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68035652

>>68035575
lol i bet you have a neettop just like all the other archfag weeaboos do

>> No.68035682
File: 84 KB, 533x700, 1402255283186.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68035682

>>68035575

>> No.68035725

>>68035682
>t. SEETHING iKEK

>> No.68035760

>>68035725
>He doesn't know how to use more than one OS...

>> No.68035781

>>68035760
truly sad...

>> No.68035789
File: 117 KB, 950x534, 1539260575793.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68035789

Mac user meets Arch Linux user, 1980, colorized

>> No.68035793

>>68032247
How retarded are you? Osx is better than any windows or linux kernel. Especially the lions

>> No.68035797

>>68035793
>t. iToddler

>> No.68035803

>>68033389
You wish. Windows is slow as fuck with ram

>> No.68035829

>>68035797
He's right about it being better than wangblows, though.

>> No.68036089

>>68035829
at least macos doesnt intentionally delete your files

>> No.68036651
File: 227 KB, 704x783, 1527982096868.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68036651

>>68036089
>this is what mactoddlers actually believe

>> No.68036927

>>68036651
Can confirm, am an iToddler who bought an iPhone having the same issues

>> No.68036936

>>68036651
Mactoddlers BTFO

>> No.68036937

>>68036651
Music is degenerate anyway

>> No.68036950

>>68036651
How can mactoddlers ever recover?

>> No.68036954

>>68036651
>a single isolated case from years and years ago
Try harder Windows shill

>> No.68037263

>>68032247
> and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it
Why did you get it? Macs are either used to develop for Apple OSes or because of OS X.

>> No.68037313

>>68036950
>>68036936
>>68036651
Samefag

>> No.68037649

>>68035829
That's not exactly a high bar to clear.

>> No.68037671

>>68032338
vapes are >>>/lgbt/ too

>> No.68037683

>>68032247
host your own chan

>> No.68038393

Doesn't 4chan run off of like 5 of these?

>> No.68038839

>>68032247
w 8.1 would work i suppose...
The problem with these in my experience is that they are slow for no reason...
I guessing that the Motherboards are slow or something...
Even though the HDD CPU and RAM is under 10% use they still are slow as ass.

Anyhow, i would still suggest that you try out Elementary OS, not trying Elementary as a Mac user is a large disservice to yourself! but if Linux is out of the question it is.

Good luck Anon!

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action