Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 805 KB, 1056x792, whatacomputa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66026201 No.66026201 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Hang on... Were people mad because she was giving an attitude to a nice elderly citizen or was it because the tablet she was using was still classified as a computer and she was a dumb cunt for not knowing that?

>> No.66026214

>>66026201
A little from A and a little from B. Also just the general smugness.

>> No.66026228

calling an ipad a computer is like calling your TV a computer.

They can both only do what the manufacturer allows. iPad's are Computer-lite at best.

>> No.66026282

>>66026201
>she

>> No.66026284

>>66026201
we're mad because while the ipad has all the resources of a computer, it's locked down in a walled garden that limits its functionality to only what Applel decides is OK.

It's like voting in dictatorship countries: they give you a ballot with only one choice. that's not freedom or empowerment, that's oppression and servitude.

>> No.66026323

>>66026284
Before you throw this into a mac/pc shitstorm, even the macfags hated this commercial.

>>66026228
How does having a limit on what you can do make it any less of a computer? A fucking console is a computer ffs.

>> No.66026348
File: 66 KB, 528x792, 1516771685520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66026348

>>66026201
wait its female?

>> No.66026378

>>66026282
>>66026348
Oh "she" is jewish. Explains alot.

>> No.66026383

>>66026323
>mac/pc shitstorm
how is this a mac/pc related at all?
the app store is the only place to get software for iDevices
At least the Mac still can load software from non-app store sources... for now.

>>66026323
>How does having a limit on what you can do make it any less of a computer?
Because computing is rooted in the notion of freedom. The reason the personal computer was invented was so that users could get out from under the thumb of IBM, HP, Control Data, Burrows, DEC, etc.
With iDevices, we're going backwards

>> No.66026422

>>66026201
>It's unrealistic to not know the word computer at that age
>It comes off as edgy "haha computers are soooo last year mom, lamebrains, groan zone!!!1"
>Can't tell if boy or girl because libtards
>Why are you using it in the grass outside while wearing a coat against the cold, go the fuck inside

>> No.66026446

>>66026201
>What's a computer?

>> No.66026451

>>66026383
It's still rooted in the definition of a computer. Also our computing freedoms have been quickly evaporating for the last 10+ years already. Find freedom in something else, it's over, we're done.

>> No.66026476

>>66026383
>A computer is a device that can be instructed to carry out sequences of arithmetic or logical operations automatically via computer programming. Modern computers have the ability to follow generalized sets of operations, called programs. These programs enable computers to perform an extremely wide range of tasks.

So... macs are still a computer?
>Because computing is rooted in the notion of freedom.
No it is not... it is rooted in the notion of doing complicated arithmetic problems in continuous sequence.
>The reason the personal computer was invented was so that users could get out from under the thumb of IBM, HP, Control Data, Burrows, DEC, etc.
With iDevices, we're going backwards
Since fucking when? IBM dominated the market literally 20 yrs ago with their ibm PCs, that is right, PERSONAL COMPUTERS. IBM was closed as you could get, they basically sued other companies that even tried to emulate their code.

Now stop trying to rewrite that PCs were some "freedom" machine, because it never was.

>> No.66026520

Mac fag here. I hate my walled garden and I hate that I don’t get viruses every day.

>> No.66026523

>>66026201
Some people are probably mad because Apple's commercial brings to light the technological illiteracy and cult mentality they have. The commercial indirectly says
>This person is so stupid they can't figure out what a computer is

>> No.66026528

>>66026451
>it's over
you're wrong
>we're done.
speak for yourself

>>66026476
>it is rooted in the notion of doing complicated arithmetic problems in continuous sequence.
it's not really a computer if only the overlords decide what problems can be solved or what programs can be run. otherwise it is just an information appliance or dumb terminal.

> IBM was closed as you could get, they basically sued other companies that even tried to emulate their code.
right. and users revolted and created clones due to the fact that there was no way at the time to lock the computers down to only accept IBM software.
However, with the app store, Applel and Jewgle are attempting to do exactly that.

>> No.66026541

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbioLFiSXY

>> No.66026569

>>66026528
>it's over we're done
Only if you want to play gaymes. That is my case anyway, I can do everything I want in Linux and the only reason I use windows is for gaymes, that is all.

>> No.66026581

>>66026520
>muh no viruses
you're mac is closed to Intel CPU's, you can't use AMD on it. Enjoy your Meltdown/Spectre.

>> No.66026595

>it's not really a computer if only the overlords decide...
Let me stop you right there. It is still classified as a computer.
>dumb terminal.
Dumb terminals were still computers...

>>66026528
>right. and users revolted and created clones due to the fact that there was no way at the time to lock the computers down to only accept IBM software.
No... the users never revolted. Most were fine with it, but that might have been due to the lack of computer users though... Mostly other manufacturers came out and eventually countersued IBM because they wanted to make IBM compatible computers because people desired IBM compatible software and won in the courts. Silicon Cowboys is a documentary on HP that tells the story pretty well. Users never fucking gave a shit and it was always companies wanting to sell their computers. It was always capitalism.

There wasn't some fucking red/white revolt at ibm headquarters. Stop falsifying history.

>> No.66026701

>>66026595
>It is still classified as a computer.
maybe in the strictest sense,
but what computer has come to mean is general purpose computer.
Nobody talks about solar powered calculators as computers, even though they are by the strictest definition.

>Dumb terminals were still computers...
no. they werent. they may have been attached to a computer, but dumb terminals themselves had 0 capability to do anything

>There wasn't some fucking red/white revolt at ibm headquarters
holy fuck you're retarded. i never said nor implied that
>the rest of your nonsensical diatribe
I don't know what you think revolt means.. maybe pitch forks and torches or something.
But the revolt was the disobedience of the ivory tower; of IBM and the BUNCH. Users finding stuff to make their own computers that could both use existing software, while being open and free to use other software and their own software that they wrote themselves, and that they could do with what they wanted without the approval of the entrenched Information processing companies.

>> No.66026741

>>66026201
I problably is because apple wants convey this idea that apple products aren't computer but rather these magical boxes that.just werk,and fit in trendy,hip lifestyle.

>> No.66026764

>>66026201
Wait I thought it was a boy

>> No.66026788

>>66026701
You kept saying revolting and comparing the PC to some freedom machine so I was joking that there wasn't some fucking Russian revolution at the company headquarters.... Christ man. How did you not get that?

>general purpose computer
A mac is still considered a general purpose computer. Even if there is a walled garden all the functionality still can be accessed one way or another, mostly through the app store.

>no. they werent. they may have been attached to a computer, but dumb terminals themselves had 0 capability to do anything
Of course I meant attached to a computer

>> No.66026825

>>66026701
>no. they werent. they may have been attached to a computer, but dumb terminals themselves had 0 capability to do anything

>computer
>noun
>an electronic device which is capable of receiving information in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions to produce a result in the form of information or signals.

One could argue taking a serial data stream and running it through a character ROM to produce an output on the screen makes a dumb terminal a computer, albeit fairly unsophisticated.

>> No.66026940

>>66026825
>One could argue taking a serial data stream and running it through a character ROM to produce an output on the screen makes a dumb terminal a computer, albeit fairly unsophisticated.
Like I said, people could say a solar calculator is a computer, but that's not what people think of when you talk about a computer.

>> No.66026956
File: 446 KB, 300x186, joker this.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66026956

>>66026741

>> No.66026965

>>66026741
No further replies needed.

>> No.66027457

>>66026284
>choosing between two instead of one makes it "democracy"
Really makes you think

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action