Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 52 KB, 800x800, flat,800x800,070,f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65993921 No.65993921 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>After working on Lubuntu-Next for a while in transitioning from the GTK-based LXDE desktop environment to the modern and maintained LXQt desktop environment that is powered by Qt5, the Lubuntu 18.10 will be the release that officially moves over to the LXQt desktop and pushes out LXDE.

>Walter Lapchynski of the Lubuntu project has confirmed that for the Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" cycle they are switching to LXQt for good.

>LXQt was born out of a merger of the LXDE and Razor-qt projects after the lead LXDE developer had a falling out with GTK3 five years ago. Those wishing to learn more about LXQt can do so at LXQt.org. Some of their upcoming plans are outlined on the LXQt road-map.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Lubuntu-18.10-LXQt

https://community.ubuntu.com/t/new-lubuntu/5997

Xubuntu is pretty much kill. Xubuntu has completely stagnated in the past few years and have nothing new coming up but more of the same shit. Everybody will be dropping Xubuntu (and Xfeces in general) for LXQt, MATE and Budgie. The rest will stick to KDE Plasma.

When 18.10 hits, Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Budgie are the only flavors/DE that are moving Linux forward.

Fuck you, Xfeces.

>> No.65993931

Softpedia went hands on with the first build of LXQt-powered Lubuntu aka Lubuntu-Next.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/hands-on-with-first-lubuntu-18-10-build-featuring-the-lxqt-desktop-by-default-521200.shtml

>> No.65994063

>>65993921
About damn time.

>> No.65994123

>>65993921
They've been saying this since 16.04, I don't believe any of their lies
The team has gone full GNOME too, reasoning that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"
Run AntiX for easy lightweight GNU/Linux, MX Linux for midweight machines and Devuan if you want Debian
>>65994063
They won't deliver, they're the same CIA niggers that push GNOME as the """""" standard """""" Linux desktop
They coopted Razor-qt to destroy Qt on lightweight machines, turning it into a monstrosity almost as heavy as KDE despite lacking all the features

>> No.65994127

I'm glad to see more previously GTK based projects switching away from GTK. I hope GTK will die out eventually.

>> No.65994150

>>65994127
>I hope GTK will die out eventually.

This and I hope it takes Xfeces with it.

>> No.65994156

>>65994123
>The team has gone full GNOME too, reasoning that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"
I'm glad my old computers are finally growing more ram. Took them long enough.

>> No.65994171

>>65994123
>that they upped the requirements from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB because "computers have evolved"

I only see that they went from 512mb to 1GB.

>> No.65994176

>>65994123
>support a literal Marxist
How about fuck you

>> No.65994185

>>65994123
>Some people may have noticed that in the release announcement for 18.04, we bumped the system requirements to 1 GB of RAM at minimum

https://lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-5/

You're wrong. It's not 2GB.

>> No.65994188

Good riddance, GTK is trash.

>> No.65994198

>>65994171
Check OS+Web requirements
Still, 1 GB of RAM is enough to run KDE/MATE/XFCE
>>65994176
Then use Devuan, the AntiX team might be lead by a literal Marxist but they key their ground on systemD, have their own kernel config and different kernels for old machines and actually works on older computers
They also avoid Pulseaudio and other Lennart faggotry

>> No.65994199

Now only if Linux wasn't trash. Yeah, yeah, the source is included. Now include drivers that run optimally...

>> No.65994212
File: 96 KB, 408x368, xfce_cozy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65994212

>>65993921
Go fuck yourself. Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome and no one cares or uses lubuntu

>> No.65994214

>>65994198
>Devuan
Is that still being maintained? If you want sysvinit use PCLOS, but honestly people should be using slackware or slack forks

>> No.65994220

>>65993921
lubuntu ahs the shittyiest team of all buntus, they stuck with 16.04.2 right until 18.04, that says a lot about how much work they put in it. Xubuntu on the other hand kept releases on time no matter what.

Ironically some turds say xfce is ded

>> No.65994238

>>65994220
This.
/thread

>> No.65994239

>>65994212
>Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome and no one cares or uses lubuntu

Xfeces has been losing users since MATE, Budgie and Cinnamon have made great strides in a modern desktop that isn't GNOME3.

Literally the only reason anybody used Xfeces is because there were very few stable Gnome3 alternatives.

By Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, you will see Xfeces userbase drop big time in favor of MATE, LXQt, KDE Plasma and Budgie.

>> No.65994246

>>65994239
You sound really butthurt

>> No.65994256

>>65994220
>lubuntu ahs the shittyiest team of all buntus, they stuck with 16.04.2 right until 18.04

Because they were putting their work toward Lubuntu Next aka LXQt Lubuntu.

You can't move your entire distro spin to a entirely new DE fork while keeping people working on the dead LXDE.

>> No.65994264

>>65994256
More like lamebuntu

>> No.65994266

>>65994239
>Literally the only reason anybody used Xfeces is because there were very few stable Gnome3 alternatives.
This is 100% true. That was the main reason /g/ shilled it years ago. It was all because of Gnome3.

>> No.65994279

>>65994264
Your Xfeces is dead. Deal with it. Move to a real Qt desktop already.

>> No.65994281

>>65994266
>light weight
>modular
>customizeable
>somehow bad
Nigga stop huffing paint

>> No.65994283

>>65994256
>Because they were putting their work toward Lubuntu Next aka LXQt Lubuntu


...and still they didn't make it in time for 18.04, gonna have to wait until 2020 for a proper LXQt implementation.

>> No.65994301
File: 35 KB, 600x500, xubuntu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65994301

>>65994279
I've used Xfce for over 10 years without any issues. I'd rather eat paint chips out of your ass than use lamebuntu

>> No.65994302

>>65994281
The only people who use Xfeces are NEETs who need to revive their mom's old laptop so they can shitpost.

Xfeces would be nowhere if Gnome3 didn't cause everybody in the Linux community to run away from it.

>> No.65994311

>>65994302
Keep telling yourself that sweetie. I have a 6 figure job and run Xubuntu on my librebooted X200

>> No.65994312

>>65994301
>I've used Xfce for over 10 years without any issues.

Xfeces is dead in the water. Even your fellow Xfeces users will be asking you why you haven't moved to LXQt or Budgie or KDE Plasma in 2020.

>> No.65994327

>>65993921
LXQT is buggy as fuck

>> No.65994335

>>65994327
Indeed, it also freezes a lot

>> No.65994348

>>65993921
>lubuntu
are you fucking retard?, just use ubuntu minimal.

>> No.65994360

>>65994335
>>65994327
That's not what softpedia said

>We took the first Lubuntu 18.10 daily build with LXQt for a test drive, and we have to say that we're impressed. It's so good that it could be released to the masses tomorrow. Of course, this is because of Lubuntu Next and the rigorous testing the Lubuntu team did over the past several years.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/hands-on-with-first-lubuntu-18-10-build-featuring-the-lxqt-desktop-by-default-521200.shtml

But yeah I'm going to believe you over them.

>> No.65994383

>>65994312

I actually did this 2 weeks ago.

While resourace usage did rise, it's still a drop in the bucket on my machine.

I'd still use XFCE on a laptop, though.

>> No.65994395

>>65994383
The point is that Xfeces had 22 years to get to where it is while LXQt is going to be in good enough shape by 2020 to make you consider switching.

>> No.65994405

>>65994348

"minimal"

>> No.65994521

>>65993921
>Lubuntu using LXQt
>Budgie migrating to Qt
>Xfce migrating to Qt
>Transmission deprecating the gtk version

is this the year of Qt?

>> No.65994539

>>65994521
>Xfce migrating to Qt

hahahahahahaha you wish

>> No.65994812

>>65994176
>all of marxism is bad

>> No.65994813

>>65994212
>Xfce and Xubuntu are awesome
maybe in 2008

>> No.65994846
File: 44 KB, 285x288, um_sneedy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65994846

>>65994812
>implying it isnt

>> No.65994866

>>65994812
but it is anon. Just like everything nazi is bad

>> No.65994913

>>65994405
mini.iso is even more minimal than the Debian netinstaller

>> No.65995443

>>65994913
nobody cares about that

>> No.65995505

Does LXQT still screen tear all over the place? What a piece of shit

>> No.65995520

>>65995505
>Does LXQT still screen tear all over the place?

you mean like Xfeces still does by default after 22 years?

>> No.65995579

Xfce is the only DE on Linux that is mature. Every other DE is in a perpetual beta buggy bloat bullshit stage. No thanks.

>> No.65995627

I tried Lubuntu Next on a removable drive, and it installed the bootloader on my main drive instead of the target drive. And X was throwing errors on every boot. Fun stuff.
Between that, their slow release cycle and their missing documentation bullshit over the last year I'm going to stay way the fuck away from these people and their software.

>> No.65995703

>Xfeces
opinion discarded.

both xubuntu and lubuntu are great. who gives a shit about what you use. you shouldn't give a shit about what i use either.

pls fuck off

>> No.65995710

>>65993921
irrelevant until kwin can into wayland

>> No.65995722

>>65993921
>to the modern and maintained LXQt
F A L S E
A
L
S
E

LXDE is still maintained

>> No.65995753

>>65994123
WTF r you spewing you braindead mong

LXDE is headed by a taiwanese MD
NOT GNOME faglords
also Lubuntu is a one man job /for the most part/

>> No.65995771

>>65994123
>They coopted Razor-qt to destroy Qt on lightweight machines, turning it into a monstrosity almost as heavy as KDE despite lacking all the features
Do you distinct between a DE and a distro? Are you implying a DE is responsible for jobs ran by your distro? Are you stupid?

>> No.65995781

>>65994127
enjoy your lack of ANY thumbnail in the file chooser

>> No.65995813

>>65994220
>they stuck with 16.04.2
>Version 16.04.4 LTS
https://lubuntu.me/downloads/
why do you lie

>> No.65995824

>>65994256
>on the dead LXDE.
LXDE is NOT dead

>> No.65995850

>all those ubuntu/debian plebs arguing about how broken their still unreleased version of a DE is while patrician distros have had it work since ever

>> No.65995861

>>65995850
oh
>and actually believing ubuntu or debian is a showcase for anything
>especially a new DE

>> No.65995887

>>65994348
>ubuntu minimal.
>>65994913
>mini.iso
The worst thing you can do to yourself. Never install Debian and Ubuntu blindly without testing. Plus the installer can easily fail at the end (after the install) because reasons. But keep on recommending that pile of shit that is Debian.

>> No.65995897

>>65995627
>and it installed the bootloader on my main drive instead of the target drive
that's a debian trademark

>> No.65996341

>>65995703
Xubuntu is stuck in 2002.

Let it die already.

>> No.65996503

I've seen this meme of hating Xfce lately and I don't understand it. What it there that it can't do that other lightweight DEs can? After trying a few of them I found Xfce more complete and easier to configure. I liked its simplicity over KDE and Cinnamon, too.

>> No.65996509

>>65993921
Eh, I already dropped XFCE because LXDE exists. It works fine and is a lot more configurable than LXQt

>> No.65996680

>>65996509
They are both made by the same guy so they will become just as configurable.

>> No.65996736

>>65994360
>>65994327
i run lxqt on my fedora machine, and i have to tell you that it is incredibly far away from being a complete, usable DE - ubuntu/lubuntu antic and packaging aside
the configuration menus and panel are unmitigated disasters, offering zero customizability/theming or else buggy (inconsistent/broken themes)
whats more is it even has shitty or nonexistend support for eg dimming backlights and mouse/trackpad settings compared to lxde/xfce/gnome.

>> No.65996752

>>65996503
It's the Gnome shills

>> No.65996802
File: 521 B, 160x90, tear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65996802

>>65995505
it even tears with compton.
it consistently leaves videos with a tear like picrel between sucessive frames

>> No.65996815

>>65996503
>hurr durr it runs gud on my mom's old laptop! hurr durr it was shilled to me by /g/ and its gud at ricing. I like ricing cuz its kewl

That's what you mean.

>> No.65996852
File: 93 KB, 620x670, 1513377922309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65996852

>thought I'd check xubuntu out again after forgetting it for years
>install 18.04
>still has screen tearing OOTB
It deserves to die.

>> No.65996969

>>65996509
When I tried LXDE it has about the same ram usage (~200MiB) with a lot less features.. Don't see the point, minus well use openbox by itself.

>>65996503
>What it there that it can't do that other lightweight DEs can?
Absolutely nothing. LXDE is pointless when XFCE is so lightweight while having more features, and LXQt is unstable, maybe it will be usable by 2020.

>> No.65996979

>>65996815
These are memes, not arguments. Unless you provide actual arguments why XFCE is bad, I'll just have to go with what these anons are saying
>>65996752
>>65996969

>> No.65996981

>>65994239
But MATE turned to shit when they ported it to GTK3.

>> No.65996984

>>65996969
>XFCE is so lightweight while having more features

What features? It can't even match MATE, much less Gnome or KDE.

All you fags care about is ricing.

>> No.65996994

>>65996981
>MATE turned to shit when they ported it to GTK3.

Xfeces is also going to shit during it's GTK3 port, but at least MATE is actually developing faster and can be a true desktop when it becomes more stable while Xfeces is stagnant with less features than MATE.

>> No.65997016

>>65996984
You're wrong but I'm too lazy to type out why.

>> No.65997071
File: 139 KB, 720x960, 1439615921516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65997071

Why is GTK bad?
Why is Qt good?

>> No.65997079

>>65996984
>What features?
Hot corners is one thing, in LXDE dragging a window to the corner/side will drag it into a new desktop. Thats really the main thing for me. And to clarify, I use it because its lightweight and I only have 4GB ram. I like Mate too though, and the way Gnome is going soon it will have less features than any DE.

>> No.65997086

>>65993921
Fuck yeah! Let's hope this will bring more devs and money to LXQt project. I'm still amazed they pulled of a merger.
>>65994127
GTK has value in that it is usable from C. We need a replacement or a C API for Qt.
>>65996981
How so?

>> No.65997090

>>65996984
>What features? It can't even match MATE, much less Gnome or KDE.
Can you give examples instead of just making this claim constantly? I'm on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04 right now and all the low level stuff basically works right out of the box, I've just changed some basic themes and settings and installed the programs I prefer over the default ones. There's no screen tearing or anything weird, the only thing I've had trouble with is the trackpoint configuration. I'd say that's as close to "just werkz" as Linux is going to get.

>> No.65997136

>>65997079
It'll be the DE with the less features and the heaviest too. Gnome devs are the most incompetent devs there is. Gnome has to die.

>> No.65997155

>>65993921
>https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/xfeces/
cringe

>> No.65997218

The only people who care about DEs are illiterate GUItards. Hence why the only insult against Xfce is that it's supposedly stuck in the past.

>> No.65997238

>>65997071
Qt is more stable, not developed by retards, and well dominate the desktop soon enough.

>> No.65997241
File: 64 KB, 530x353, Screenshot_20180519_144846.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65997241

>>65995781
>lack of ANY thumbnail in the file chooser
What did he mean by that?

>> No.65997252

>>65997218
>the only insult against Xfce is that it's supposedly stuck in the past.

It is stuck in the past and most of you Xfeces eaters say that's a good thing.

Your DE will die in short order. It cannot survive the next generation of DE development.

>> No.65997263

>>65997238
>Claim that is hard to prove and is not even attempted here
>Personal attack against third parties
>Statement with no bearing to the discussion

>> No.65997269

>>65997252
All you need is a terminal. There's nothing else to develop, it's all gimmickry. Xfce will last as long as there aren't vulnerabilities.

>> No.65997280

>>65997155
>cringe
Yep.
>Errorz!
>RBT, now with botnets and WEB2.0 shit?

>> No.65997284

>>65995579
>mature
You meant didn't added any useful feature in 10 years?

>> No.65997289

>>65997269
>typical Xfeces shill pretending there is nothing more to do on the Linux desktop in order to justify the lack of features on his Xfeces pile.

This is why MATE, Budgie, and LXQt are going to put your DE in the shithole of desktop history where it belongs. Your Xfeces is destined to rot the minute other DEs matured enough to replace Gnome3 entirely.

>> No.65997297

Why do Ubuntufags think changing the default DE makes it an entirely different distro?

>> No.65997300

>>65997289
Name one such feature.

>> No.65997324

>>65996815
Are all lx* fans this butthurt about the shittiness of their DE?

>> No.65997341

>>65997324
LXDE is faster than your shitty Xfeces.

>> No.65997350

>>65997341
So that's a yes? Is LXDE really THAT bad? Chill out, dude. Try using a decent DE instead.

>> No.65997369
File: 48 KB, 1021x768, Screenshot (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65997369

Can I make LXQt look exactly like LXDE?

Or is now the whole setup completely different?

>> No.65997453

>>65997252
>It is stuck in the past
tell it to the coelocanth then. why doesnt it evolve!!! it needs to be different to be good!!!

>> No.65997581

>>65996341
This is a good thing

>> No.65997851

>>65996969
>LXDE is pointless
it's not

lxde is simpler (or even simplest)
it's just a few tools and/or frontends wrapped with a session manager but they don't need it to work so you can use them with any x wm to configure your shit more easily
overall it's a great contribution

>> No.65997874

>>65996736
LXQts only advantage is that kde applications work normal in it
try dolphin anywhere else to see for yourself

>> No.65997908

>>65997241
>shows me kdialog
why don't you show me Qt instead

>> No.65997939

>file picker meme still well and kicking

LXQt a shit

>> No.65997946

>>65997874
plus wayland once kwin supports it — which would make LXQt the future king

>> No.65997948

>>65993921
>fuck you xfeces

As of linux's DE issues were because of XFCE and not GNOME. Can you imagine working and maintaining a project like XFCE for years having mouthbreathing GNOME devs try to hinder you every step of the way?

I for one am grateful for everything the XFCE have done and am eagerly awaiting Lxqt at the same time.

>Press F to pay respect (to XFCE and its devs)

F

>> No.65998043

>>65994150
jelly matelet detected

>> No.65998061

>>65996994
but xfce isn't shit yet unlike mate

>> No.65998125

>lightweight
>QT

idiots!

>> No.65998178

I use i3wm and it feels like most of my programs use gtk rather than qt. Is this my own fault? I have a preferred gtk theme, but I don't recall ever setting a qt theme. thunar/pcmanfm, deluge-gtk (maybe there's a qt version), and firefox all use gtk I think. Those are the main graphical things I use. If there's a way to make firefox use qt, I'm guessing it involves having to compile it with different settings. What's a good qt file manager that won't pull in an entire DE with it?

>> No.65998202

Reminder the only people against xfce are just MATE shills.

>> No.65998274

>>65993921
I still choose LXDE because it's designed for cloud netowrks.
https://www.slant.co/versus/1120/1135/~lxde_vs_lxqt

>> No.65998354

>>65994279
but all Qt desktops are garbage

>> No.65998712
File: 106 KB, 750x924, gay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65998712

>>65993921
Unironically tried LXQt on Xubuntu. It was only good with kwin, but then one should use Plasma in the first place for more and better features. I don't even care anymore, just use whatever get out of my way and xfwm4 is pretty good at it.

>> No.65998857

>>65998202
this, matefags are mad because they're not the cool kids in town

>> No.65999073

>XFCE vs LXDE slap fight.
What the fuck? They have completely different goals.

>>65998125
Qt isn't THAT heavyweight. Stuff like KDE is, but that's not because it's built on top of Qt.

>> No.65999490
File: 466 KB, 1920x1080, screen01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65999490

>>65994239
XFCE is literally the ONLY acceptable desktop environment. People shitfling about whether it's light or not, but it's intention isn't to be light, it's just that ti so happens to be lighter than most from good software design. Use a Window manager otherwise. THIS is perfection. No bullshit, easily configurable, and actually good workspace management unlike most DEs.

>> No.65999632

>>65998857
>matefags are mad because they're not the cool kids in town

MATE is the DE of 2018 because it is the most innovative so far.

>> No.65999656

>>65999490
>No bullshit, easily configurable, and actually good workspace management unlike most DEs.

Yeah and of course you post your degenerate waifu rice config in all pink which is your true aim in using Xfeces.

Xfeces is nothing but a playground for NEET waifuist weirdos. There's no real work being done with it.

>> No.65999683

>>65999490
XFCE is perfect save for the fact that they don't support Wayland, which means you're stuck with X and won't benefit from all the security and performance improvements that come with Wayland.

>> No.65999706

>>65999656
>Yeah and of course you post your degenerate waifu rice config in all pink which is your true aim in using Xfeces.
I wouldn't call it a playground considering it only took like 5 minutes after a clean install on my new PC. If you want a degenerate playground, install Gentoo and rice a TWM to the bone.
>>65999683
Wayland is a meme as far as I'm concerned, but if you have a good reason to use it then I guess that sucks.

>> No.65999842

>>65997071
As a developer, you can use Qt framework on more platforms than GTK even though GTK has been around for longer time. Also, GTK is GUI toolkit which sits on GObject from GNOME while Qt is a complete framework in itself. From my observations, Qt based programs use less RAM but don't take my word on it. If that isn't convincing enough, there are some programs that are being ported from using GTK to Qt (Dropbox, Wireshark, OpenShot). I mean it's too much work to rewrite stuff in some other framework if current implementation is working fine so Qt must be somewhat useful.
As a user, I don't think you'd notice big difference other than Qt being a bit more consistent across platforms, I guess.

>> No.65999853 [DELETED] 
File: 43 KB, 629x454, poo in it.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65999853

>>65993921
Poo in Loobuntu

>> No.66000390

>>65995505
screen tearing is part of the linux experience. Embrace it.

>> No.66000484

>>66000390
Works on my PC

>> No.66000783

>>66000390
>screen tearing is part of the linux experience.

it really is. it's pathetic how most DEs still come with that by default.

>> No.66000926
File: 1007 KB, 300x169, 1450242800454.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66000926

>>65999842
>As a developer, you can use Qt framework on more platforms than GTK even though GTK has been around for longer time
Source on that?

>Also, GTK is GUI toolkit which sits on GObject from GNOME while Qt is a complete framework in itself
Why is being a framework better?

>If that isn't convincing enough, there are some programs that are being ported from using GTK to Qt (Dropbox, Wireshark, OpenShot).
There's nothing less convincing than the "well others are doing it" argument.

I'm actually a developer as well, and had to use both. GTK documentation is great, and on the rare occasions I couldn't find something, I always quickly found it in the source. Qt docs weren't as good, (on the limited things I had to do at the time) and looking though source was a nightmare of class calling class calling class..

>> No.66001005

>>66000926
I'm pretty sure you can't use GTK on Android but you can use Qt. Not sure about iOS.
In this case, being a framework is better since you're not reliant on other projects (which can also be a drawback, I suppose).
Eh, you seem to be more experienced than me so you better do some research yourself. Like I said, don't take my word on anything.

>> No.66001043
File: 135 KB, 1000x477, baka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66001043

>>66000926
Forgot source.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28software%29#Supported_platforms
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK%2B#Usage

>> No.66001143
File: 25 KB, 480x360, 1466014763400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66001143

>>66001043
I see. Yes, GTK has an Android version, but it's basically abandonware.
If Android is important, then GTK isn't even an option.
Qt is more platform independent, and the difference will likely be increasing. Pity, because otherwise I still don't see Qt being better.

>> No.66001297
File: 90 KB, 1080x1080, 1490025063364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66001297

>>66001143
Yep, did some reading and Qt also has official support for macOS and iOS. Either way, the choice depends on preference. I dunno, I'm using PyQt myself and it does the job fine. GTK might be better but I'm used to Qt is all.

>> No.66002506

Everything should go Qt

>> No.66002515
File: 311 KB, 1024x1200, 1524161389870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66002515

>>65993921
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>> No.66002528

The only thing from LXDE that I have on every of my machines is lxappearance. Nothing better exists.

>> No.66002553

>>65993921
>after the lead LXDE developer had a falling out with GTK3 five years ago
Why the hell didn't he just fork GTK+2?
That said, as long as I have xfce, I don't really care.

>> No.66002559

>>65994846
>>65994866
fucking centrists

>> No.66002575

>>65993921
My hardware isn't shit so I don't see the need to use shitty DE's like XFCE and LXDE.

>> No.66002620

>>66002559
>centrist
No I'm a capitalist who believes in meritocracy, not some faggy underachieving Marxist who thinks life isn't fair

>> No.66002650

>>66002620
>I'm a capitalist who believes in meritocracy
this is the best political view. Let the welfare queens and radical racists kill each other.

>> No.66002749

>>65994239
>Xfeces has been losing users since MATE, Budgie and Cinnamon have made great strides in a modern desktop that isn't GNOME3.
It like to see a citation for that.
>>65999683
>all the security and performance improvements that come with Wayland.
Unusable right now.
Will see when is different, maybe they will support it eventually.
Also, their notion of security is degratory to the end user convenience. It's like the second gnome team.

>> No.66003202

>>66002553
Because Qt is better

>> No.66003561

>>66002620
>>66002650
seize the means of production cuckfaggot

>> No.66003671

>>65993921
what is the best distro using LXDE/LXQt out of the box as of right now? I just want to get a feel of it.

>> No.66003674

>>66003561
So grab them by the pussy?

>> No.66003713

>>66002650
A proper welfare system is necessary to a meritocratic economy in an industrial society. The US system is really shit though, because
>giving more benefits to worse off people incentivizes failure
Everyone should get the same benefits for things like health care and education
>corporate welfare out the ass
not much we can do about this unless we set a bunch of limits on lobbying, though

>> No.66004008
File: 88 KB, 334x334, he cute frog drinking some piss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66004008

>arguing this much over a fucking desktop environment, something that can be installed and changed within two minutes in Ubuntu (or 40 minutes in Arch after you fix your config files)

>> No.66004112

>>66003674
yes

>> No.66004128

>>66004008
archlosers btfo

>> No.66004733

>>66003671
Try the link in OP's post.

>> No.66005420

>>66003671
Ive been running Lubuntu since 12.10 and it works really good.
Ive heard good things about pepermint but i havent tried it yet.

>> No.66005447

>>66003671
Lubuntu, obvs

>> No.66006180

>>66004008
i ran 4 different DE:s when i started using Ubuntu just to compare them...

>> No.66006750

>>66004008
better than the daily browser argument /g/ has

>> No.66007311

>>66004008
>40 minutes in Arch after you fix your config files

sadly this is not a meme

>> No.66008558

>>66003674
Yes

>> No.66010316
File: 91 KB, 1018x785, 3b5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66010316

>>65993921
>Xubuntu has completely stagnated in the past few years and have nothing new coming up but more of the same shit.
>Everybody will be dropping Xubuntu
You're missing the point of why people are using Xfce in the first place

>> No.66010798

>>66010316
Xubuntu/Xfeces used to be popular in the days where most people had a shitty laptop or netbook but these days, people have better hardware in general and there's alternatives like MATE, Cinnamon, Budgie, KDE, LXDE, etc that work just as well if not better than Xfeces.

Essentially you are talking about Xfeces in its glory days of the 2000's but Xfeces becomes more irrelevant every year since then.

>> No.66010821

>>66010798
>used to be popular in the days where most people had a shitty laptop or netbook
Did it use less resources than GNOME 2?

>> No.66010882

>>66010821
Xfce was touted as being faster than Gnome2 but it was still 2nd to Gnome2 in popularity and then in 2011, everybody was switching to Xfce because of Gnome 3 being released and it enjoyed a big boost until 2016 when other alternatives such as LXDE, MATE, Budgie, KDE Plasma, Cinnamon began to mature to the point where people began to have real choice in their DE and that's where Xfeces began to lose momentum and as you can see from the latest Xubuntu release, nothing new was done and it began to cannibalize MATE parts.

I predict that by Ubuntu 20.04 you will see many Xfeces users switching to LXQt, MATE, Budgie, KDE Plasma, etc.

>> No.66011454

>>66010882
cinnamon is pig disgusting

>> No.66011467

>>66011454
Cinnamon looks better than Xfeces.

>> No.66011598

>>65994360
lxqt is shit you retard go see for yourself

>> No.66011608

>>66011598
I did and it's pretty good in its early stages.

>> No.66011758

Imagine being so unironically butthurt that you spend your free time on the internet using the term "Xfeces" to refer to a popular stable Linux desktop environment. Because you're mad people use it.

>> No.66011781

>>66011758
Imagine being so butthurt that people call your DE "Xfeces" because you know deep down it's shitty and will be dead soon.

>> No.66011925

>>65997252
So what do you think is xfce missing? Name something concrete.

>> No.66011977

lubuntu looks like xubuntu specifically made for koreans that live in 1995

>> No.66011992

just switched from arch to mint a minute ago and I like it

>> No.66013518
File: 423 KB, 2670x1612, lmao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66013518

lmao, this is the state of desktop linux in 2018? looks like fucking shit.

>> No.66013527
File: 1.54 MB, 1415x786, macOS_High_Sierra_10_13_1_Desktop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66013527

>>66013518
How can delusional Loonixfags even justify this shit? See ya, losers.

>> No.66013540
File: 14 KB, 456x320, c3b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66013540

>>66013518
That font rendering

>> No.66014255

>>65997071
I mean if you are not a dev it's not easy to understand.. but as a dev, QT = heaven...

>> No.66014272
File: 22 KB, 300x100, 257.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66014272

>>66013518
>Thinks lubuntu is the state of desktop linux

>> No.66014312

>>66013518
it's always so easy to spot the brainlet

>> No.66014317

>>66014255
I AM a dev.

Read:
>>65999842
>>66000926
>>66001005
>>66001043
>>66001143
>>66001297

Not that you tried to explain.

>> No.66014402

>>66011467
Also takes 5x the memory while doing nothing notable, and constantly freezes when you try fucking with display settings.

>> No.66014433

>>66014402
Xfeces has been around for 22 years. Cinnamon has been around for 7. Clearly, you can't expect Cinnamon to be as stable, and the memory thing is because it's a Gnome3 fork.

>> No.66014788

>>66014317
well anon I don't know how to describe it better for you. GTK is a fucking mess, it's a chore to use. meanwhile in Qt, you grab Qt Creator, and you have a GUI that works on every platform. and the whole dev environment is inside one application.

I mean I knew 0 qt before my thesis. I grabbed Qt Creator, learned Qt and completed all my shit in no time. It's awesome.

>> No.66014798

>>66013527
2x unknown

cool unknown, fag

>> No.66015207

>>66013518
Looks better than Xfeces

>> No.66015257

>>66014788
>GTK is a fucking mess, it's a chore to use. meanwhile in Qt, you grab Qt Creator, and you have a GUI that works on every platform. and the whole dev environment is inside one application.

This is 100% true and is exactly why everything is moving to Qt.

>>65999842
Transmission dropped the GTK port of their client in favor of only supporting Qt for Linux and Windows.

>> No.66015308
File: 13 KB, 220x240, c8f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66015308

>>66010882
>I predict that by Ubuntu 20.04 you will see many Xfeces users switching to LXQt, MATE, Budgie, KDE Plasma, etc.
Maybe by then those DEs will be stable enough to use as a daily driver

>> No.66015370

>nothing new
what do you want? perpetual development is cancer

>> No.66015529

>>66015308
KDE and MATE are. Budgie is being rewritten, and LXQt has basically just begun to be used.

Xfeces days are numbered.

>> No.66015649
File: 789 KB, 1280x781, 1463324565499.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66015649

>>66014788
>well anon I don't know how to describe it better for you
No, you really don't. I had the exact same experience, except with GTK and Qt switched up.
By the time I ever tried using Qt, I had my text editor + makefile combo working all right, while glade was a great way to visually create UI elements.
Qt, on the other hand, brought its whole needlessly complicated, slow IDE. The documentation was near useless and the source likewise.

And it seems nobody else can put what is wrong with GTK to words, except "I don't like it".
Not being compatible with iOS and Android is the only valid thing I heard thus far, and sure, if you are, for some reason, developing something that has to work both on the desktop and on smartphones, okay. But otherwise, I still don't see the appeal.

>>66015257
Again and still: "everyone else is doing it" is a worthless argument.

I don't know about you, but when I hate something, I can tell you why.

>> No.66015889

>>66015370
>we got new features in Xfeces 4.13

Wow Xfeces is so innovative and so based! Can't wait to rice it!

>nothing new happened!

Wow that means its sooo stable! Xfeces can do nothing wrong!

The state of Xfeces double standard shills.

>> No.66015919

>>65997090
Little things like having a taskbar icon flash if something is happening there. Xfeces has to rely on obtrusive notifications for everything instead of subtle things like making the icon change color like Windows does.

>> No.66015955

Debian with LXDE will be best setup for the next 100 years.

>> No.66016035

>>66015955
>Debian with LXDE

You mean LXQt.

>> No.66016099

>>66015889
not sure what you're autistically screeching about

>>66015955
i recall being unable to configure some shit that pissed me off in LXDE

oh well, i barely use linux anymore. most of the desktop environments are turning shit and the underlying systems are turning to shit too

>> No.66016120

>>66016099
>i recall being unable to configure some shit that pissed me off in LXDE

Which is exactly why LXQt was created. To expand development of LX with a toolkit that isn't complete shit.

>> No.66018256

Christ, this "xfeces" faggot is about as annoying as the Ecoboost faggot on /o/

>> No.66018696

Any good distro using LXQt?

>> No.66018701

>>66018696
Not yet. Just Lubuntu nightlies.

>> No.66018715

>>66018256
>he can't be refuted! what the fuck am I supposed to do to defend against him?

nothing. xfeces is finished.

>> No.66018730

>>66018715
Take your meds, spergie

>> No.66019456

>>66018730
get a better DE

>> No.66019745

>>66019456
There is none better, XFCE 18.02 IS THE DE TO END ALL DEs, except KDE, that's fine oh and MATE

>> No.66020116

>>66019745
>XFCE 18.02

wat

>> No.66021214

>>65995781
Have you not used dolphin? I thought the lack of thumbnail meme was about gtk stuff

>> No.66022122

>>66021214
do you know what Qt is?

>> No.66022828
File: 25 KB, 463x454, 1449367959746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66022828

>>65994301
I killed my xfce environment last night when I attempted to fix the screen tearing by installing NVidia drivers and using the X environment with them.
Downloading a distro with Mate as I'm typing this.

>> No.66022847

>>66022828
KDE is better

>> No.66022869

>>66022847
Something inevitably breaks when I'm using KDE, figured I could try something different this time.

>> No.66022931

>>65994123
>Devuan
I have been thinking about replacing Debian with Devuan on my laptop. So, is Devuan just another CIA honeypot or is it legit? What about Antix??

>> No.66023037

>>66022869
I unironically love the kde programs.

>> No.66023350
File: 9 KB, 328x273, 24nze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66023350

LAPCHYNSKI

>> No.66023520

>>66022931
It's debian without systemD.
More a freetard honeypot than a CIA one

>> No.66023711

>>66022869
>Something inevitably breaks when I'm using KDE

such as?

>> No.66023749

The amount of retardation, uninformed technical posts and general stupidity in this thread is astounding. I can't believe people like that post on a technology themed forum.

>> No.66023771

>>66004008
>40 min fixing config files
i've tried almost all DE/WMs in arch and the only config file i need to change is adding a line for the new DE in my .xinitrc. fuck off

>> No.66023820

>>66022869
Install OpenSUSE for the superior KDE experience

>>66023520
But systemd is bad for real.
>binary logs by default
>Lots of unnecessary bloat that you cant remove. This leads to more bugs and higher system requirements (not suitable for embedded systems, harder to port, etc)
>"su is now deprecated use machinectl shell now. lol" t. Lenntard
>"Pls merge this crap, Linus. We need this for our init cuz we are too lazy to fix our problems properly" t. SystemD devs
>"I don't see how this bug is an issue. Lol, wontfix" t. Lenntard Poopering
>Shutting down a system takes forever because for whatever reason systemdick fails to terminate services properly
>Units are worse than SysVInit style scripts. They just make it harder to know what the init *really* does.

>> No.66023838

>>65999490
>Slackware
>XFCE
Top-tier patrician

>> No.66023853

sad to say everything based on GTK is fucking garbage..

>> No.66024742

>>66023711
Can't remember what broke last time, but I switched away from it twice until now because of odd issues. Guess I'll give it one more shot.

>>66023820
OpenSUSE stopped booting when my second laptop's battery died during the shutdown operation. I installed Lubuntu on it, and I want to give LXQt a shot this week.
On my main machine I run Kali since it's useful in the Cyber Security course I follow.

>> No.66024914

>>66024742
For me KDE 5 is rock stable since 5.4 (.
My only problem is shutdown options screen crashing after updating Nvidia drivers. I really can't understand why they still didn't make decent fallback solution for this.

>> No.66026179

>>66024914
I wouldn't say rock stable but it's mostly stable.

Dolphin for example is way better than Thunar

>> No.66026401

>>65993921
About goddamn time.

The kde and qt devs have been working their ass off to reduce resource usage without reducing functionality for a while. Do a fresh install of neon next to a fresh install of Xubuntu and you'll see Xubuntu sitting at like 30% more resources being used. KDE and qt are the future, anon. Embrace them.

>> No.66026691

>>66026401
That's why you install Xubuntu Core and not the bloated default install you sperglord.

>> No.66027054

>>66000926
>why is being a framework better
Because consider everyone having to use Guix to also use GCC

>> No.66027094

>>66027054
Mind elaborating on that? In English, if possible?

>> No.66027132

>>66027094
Imagine having to use a 40-years-in-the-making OS to use 1 tool from the same devs
Its an analogy to framework Qt that you can use wherever as opposed to GNOME/GTK
Also lurk moar

>> No.66027176

>>66027132
Oh, I guess I get it now.
Why couldn't you develop with GTK on other OSs?
Be honest, though, are you drunk, or is English only your 8th language?

>> No.66027205

>>66024914

Soon®.

>Plasma gained the ability to fall back to a software rendering if OpenGL drivers unexpectedly fail.
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.90.php

>> No.66027256

Can Ubuntu hibernate yet?

>> No.66027262

>>66027176
Ιts unironically my third
Because the GTK shit pulls from many (if not all) GNOME libraries

>> No.66027846

>>65994212
hey gramps

>> No.66027854

>>65994239
>trying this hard

>> No.66028881

>>66026401
Fucking bullshit. I've installed Neon few months ago and it used noticeable more resources than Xubuntu while being unstable on top of that.

>> No.66028933

>>65994123
>>65994063
They first mentioned the switch after the 13.04 release. It took them only five years.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-April/003941.html

>> No.66028989

Might be good but won't be stable for a while.

>> No.66029355
File: 29 KB, 1162x890, too intelligent fat feel.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66029355

>Why yes, I use Enlightenment as my desktop environment.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action