Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1.71 MB, 640x360, 1493884434601.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65078572 No.65078572 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Why does the iPhone X get double the fakebench score of the Galaxy S9 but can't even run half as fast in real apps?

>> No.65078635

>>65078572
>ishit
Found your problem.

>> No.65078665

>>65078572
Someone post the Linus rant about geekbench

>> No.65078670

>>65078572
Fake.

>> No.65078694
File: 44 KB, 907x460, 1502087506046.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65078694

>>65078665

>> No.65078736

>>65078694
thanks

>> No.65078762

Is the benchmark you are speaking about based 100% off how fast apps open?

If not, why are you making bad threads?

>> No.65078792

>>65078762
>t. iToddler

>> No.65078862

>phone benchmarks

Name a reason why I should care about any phone faster than a 4 year old flagship

>> No.65078898

>>65078572
Jews.

>> No.65078943
File: 31 KB, 456x426, 2093847201913.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65078943

>>65078572
Because it's not a proper test. A good test would do complex fp64 calculations on the CPU, complex FP32 calculations on the GPU, and then do them at the same time with each test running for an hour and thermal/tdp throttling being documented by logging cpu and gpu frequencies every second at least.

>> No.65079070
File: 835 KB, 945x701, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079070

>>65078572
>geektrash

>> No.65079166

>>65078572
am i the only one who thinks the iphone has the better display? i thought they used the same amoled screen, what's that about?

>> No.65079178
File: 7 KB, 291x204, 1508716201982.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079178

>>65079166
>better display
>with that notch

>> No.65079223

>>65079166
To compare them you need to set both screens to the same brightness and colour profile. The Samsung one obviously has brightness turned down.

>> No.65079239

> he doesn’t realise that normies only use six apps and never shut them

The iOS suspend is many times better, which is what matters here. Stay mad.

>> No.65079251
File: 84 KB, 850x477, 1502296511944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079251

>>65079239
iOS suspend is a fucking joke. Literally takes TWICE as long as android flagships to resume.

>> No.65079274

>>65078572
iToddlers will defend this.

>> No.65079284

>>65079251
Not sure why they said "suspend" but they might be referring to ability to keep things in memory? If iOS is better at not refreshing apps that you previously left, most people would find that experience better.

>> No.65079311

>>65079251
ITODDLERS BTFO

>> No.65079317
File: 76 KB, 780x439, vivo-xplay-7-10gb-ram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079317

>>65079239
That's actually a huge reason why iPhones lag so much. Those apps generate cache and eventually overload the RAM so iPhones have to constantly reload shit which strains the CPU and drains the battery faster.

Not a problem on Android phones that have 1,2, or 3 GB of extra RAM. Hell we're soon gonna see an explosion of 10GB RAM android devices soon which will allow for usable VMs inside them which will increase multi-tasking even more.

>> No.65079357
File: 1.13 MB, 1265x725, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079357

>>65079251
This one is from that Apple fanboy channel

>> No.65079362

If anyone is wondering it would go something like this:

1 hypervisor would load 2 OS at boot and seamlessly switch/pause between them. This will be extremely useful in enterprise environments where sysadmins need to monitor/control phones for security/clearance purposes. Normies also benefit from this because switching from gaymes to social media apps and everything else will now happen in milliseconds instead of seconds.

>> No.65079382
File: 1.15 MB, 1280x720, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079382

>>65079357
I fucked up that crop

>> No.65079408
File: 180 KB, 806x719, 1409091148937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079408

>>65079362
>tfw phones will be the next desktops
This is the future and I don't like it

>> No.65079444

I fucking hate these stupid app opening tests. They only show which app's GUI loads first, not which one actually completely opens the application first.

>> No.65079480
File: 2.13 MB, 720x1280, xp_on_phone.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079480

>>65079408
Theoretically AMD could make x86 mobile phone chips and android wouldn't give a shit because it's just a JVM running on metal (x86 or ARM). Thus VM of wankblows or loonix would run at native speeds inside one of the android VMs.

But I don't see that being likely, we'll have to brute force x86 emulation an android phones to get desktop OSs on them. Though webm related is probably a cheap chink phone and something like a snapdragon 820 should be at least able to run microxp decently.

>> No.65079524
File: 623 KB, 5000x3400, 1470737061875.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079524

Not one has stated this yet, but the real reason is pretty simple. iOS is THE shittiest OS ever made. Bloated garbage.

>> No.65079554
File: 269 KB, 2000x1333, samsung-dex-galaxy-s8-17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079554

>>65079480
I was think about this tho

>> No.65079571

>>65079480
What phone is that?

>> No.65079580

>>65079524
Unfortunately so, UI "updates" have rendered older iPhones to windows xp on P4 level performance now.

https://youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU

>> No.65079590

>>65079580
>windows xp on P4 level performance
That's actually pretty good

>> No.65079608

>>65079580
>>65079590
It's closer to Windows 10 Home on a 1GHz Core2 with 2GB of RAM from what I've seen.

>> No.65079613

>>65079554
All you would have to do is miracast/chromecast your x86 VM screen to a tv, no dongles/bulky docks required.

The method you show seems like a huge pain to deal with.

>>65079571
Not sure but video res is 720p and cpu monitor on his taskbar has 4 bars so probably some sub-$100 chinkshit phone.

>> No.65079637

>>65079590
How? P4s would cause the flashlight animation for a solid 2 minutes if you wanted to launch even control panel.

>> No.65079651

>>65079613
But Samsung Dex runs on bare metal and it's plug and play, they just need to improve it a little bit and get something like MS Office to work just like it do on Windows to replace a desktop for most normies.

>> No.65079659

>>65079637
Either your installation is borked or you are using 1.xGHz Willamette that sucks.

>> No.65079748
File: 1.89 MB, 3225x2719, IMG_20180208_180833546_HDR~01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65079748

>>65079637
Bullshit, I have this bad boy and it runs XP smoothly. You are thinking of Pentium III

>> No.65079770

>>65079651
The entire point of a desktop OS is to run x86 software, specifically win32 software. Samsung dex is just Android with a different skin, no x86 code emulation can take place.

>> No.65079867

>>65079166
the iphone X does have a worse display but it's not as simple as that. The biggest difference people will notice is brightness. The Note 8 is using a brighter panel but to limit burn in, samsung doesn't let you crank it up all the way yourself. It will only go max brightness in very bright light situations for screen clarity.
So while an iphone X will look like a brighter, nicer screen in your nicely taken device comparison photo when you actually put them into regular use the note 8 tends to look better. This is especially evident when using it outdoors

t. note 8 owner who has an iphone X as a work phone

>> No.65079920

>>65079357
>>65079382
>S9 literally 60% faster than lagPhoneX at resuming apps
iTODDLERS BTFO

>> No.65080575

>>65079920
And it only lost the first round due that Adobe app they love using.

>> No.65081386

>>65079920
Itoddlers will defend this.

>> No.65081423
File: 129 KB, 900x729, dunce28.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65081423

>>65079317
>multi-tasking
>mobile

>> No.65081429

>>65079408
Then todays desktops will be tomarrows workstations. The phones will never take over the tasks a proper computer can do.

>> No.65081435

>>65079554
Doesn't Windows 10 Mobile all you to do that?>>65079637
>P4s would cause the flashlight animation for a solid 2 minutes if you wanted to launch even control panel.

>> No.65081620

>>65081423
what's wrong with that

>> No.65081854

>>65081423
>t. itoddler

>> No.65081897

>>65078572
>Why does the iPhone X get double the fakebench score of the Galaxy S9 but can't even run half as fast in real apps?
Because these benchmarks test a very specific thing.
"Duration for an app to open" depends on so many other things, then "raw CPU/RAM performance".
It depends on the OS, the app itself and possibly many more things.

>> No.65082017

>>65079166
iphone displays are calibrated, samshit's are not

>> No.65082023

>>65082017
Is this cunt being serious?

>> No.65082055

>>65078694
They've supposedly improved it in response to Linus.

>> No.65082065

>>65082055
>((((((((((((They))))))))))
>"""""supposedly""""

>> No.65082079

>>65082055
Based on OP, it looks more like they doubled down on kickbacks from Apple.

>> No.65082922

>>65079590
thistbhfam

>> No.65083650

>>65082017
>iphone displays hurr hurr are calibrated
>samsung's are not
>latest iphone screen made and calibrated by samsung

>> No.65083682

>>65078694
>2013
imagine how much apple are paying geekbench in 2018.

>> No.65083738

>>65078572
Because Anand

>> No.65083761

>>65082055
They did, but only the crypto part of the bench. The bench is still shit.

>> No.65085095

> still relying on geekbench scores

honestly you fucking people

>> No.65085131

poor RAM management

>> No.65085285

>>65078572
>Muh apple processors
is snapdragon the ryzen threadripper of mobile phones?

>> No.65085326

>>65079920
One has more ram.

>> No.65086586
File: 453 KB, 1440x2960, Screenshot_20180308-183258_Geekbench 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65086586

Here's my score from the other day if anyone gives a shit. not a + tho, just a reg. s9

>> No.65088463

>>65079571
Some cheap Walmart chinkshit
t. Saw this webm in a previous thread

>> No.65089451

>>65085326
So? Who's fault is that?

>> No.65089531

>geekbench
>meme name
>turns out to be a meme

color me surprised.

>> No.65089657

>>65079166
Samsung fucks the colors up in the default screen setting.
They make them stupidly vibrant to appeal to 13 year old girls I suppose.

It's easy to change though, and there are several color profiles to choose from.

>> No.65089700

>>65079867
>brighter panel but to limit burn in, samsung doesn't let you crank it up all the way yourself.

That's Apple level of fuckery.

>hurr you can't use full CPU speed it will damage the battery
>hurr you can't use full screen brightness, it will damage the pixels

They should just display a warning like they do with loud audio (which is still annoying but I guess Americans would sue)
Still, it's plenty bright regardless, I just don't like being locked out.

>> No.65089859

>>65078572
MUH BENCHMARKS REEEEEE
How is this a discussion it's just phones god damit this board should be computer science and technology not your shitty toys

>> No.65089942

>>65078572
fake news
s8 had all those apps pre launched and in ram before the video is recorded, it was shown on youtube

>> No.65089991

>>65089700
If you have it on auto brightness it will crank it up to full when you are under bright conditions, but considering those conditions are generally temporary it allows it because it shouldn't cause any damage to the display in a short period of time.

I can understand your point, but there's really no reason to use full brightness unless you are outside in the sun, it would be way too bright indoors. Just let it auto adjust.

>> No.65090038

>>65089991
>no reason to use full brightness unless you are outside in the sun

What if I wanted to use it as a light panel to shoot some video with my DSLR?

>> No.65090052

>>65089991
>>65090038
Not that I actually would, btw.
I'm even using a dark theme just to save the screen.

>> No.65090676

>>65090038
That's a terrible idea, you can buy light panels for that for cheap.

>> No.65090687

>>65078572
>Why does the iPhone X get double the fakebench score of the Galaxy S9 but can't even run half as fast in real apps?
Because the iPhone SoCs always experience aggressive thermal throttling and geekbench only runs for a minute

>> No.65090804

>>65090676
>buying more random shit
>not using what's in your pocket already

>> No.65091162
File: 693 KB, 520x2380, 1519670181126.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65091162

Where were you when normies were woke?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/03/11/apple-iphone-x-speed-performance-upgrade-galaxy-s9-plus/#7fbcebba34d0
>Tests by high profile YouTubers like XeeTechCare, SuperSaf TV and EverythingApplePro (7M subscribers combined) have reached a consensus: the iPhone X can’t live with the real world performance of the new Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.

>> No.65091343

>>65078572
More RAM.

>> No.65091963

>>65091162
How will iToddlers ever recover?

>> No.65092004

>>65090687
Launching apps takes only a second though, throttling shouldn't be an issue

>> No.65093332
File: 1.15 MB, 500x281, 1498088482404.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65093332

>>65092004
>throttling shouldn't be an issue
>iphone

>> No.65093337

>>65093332
I want to fug all three at once

>> No.65094149

>>65091963
They can't.

>> No.65094226

>>65093337
kys pedo

>> No.65094273

>>65094226
Wrong.

>> No.65094285

>>65079608
I ran Windows 7 on a P4 for 3 years and never thought twice about it.

>> No.65094316

>>65078572
Because CPU performance has nothing to do with how fast information can be pulled from non-volatile storage.

>> No.65094330

>>65078572
because benchmark are for kikes

>> No.65094439

>>65078943
>hey what apps do you use on your phone
>>oh I don't use any of that pleb shit, I run complex fp64 calculations on the CPU, complex FP32 calculations on the GPU, and then do them at the same time with each test running for an hour and thermal/tdp throttling being documented by logging cpu and gpu frequencies every second at least
Wow.

>> No.65094500

>>65094439
>>hey what apps do you use on your phone >>65078572
>>>oh I don't use any of that pleb shit, I just run applebench all day
Wow.

>> No.65094919

>>65094226
>t. feminazi

>> No.65095256

>>65090804
>using something in a way not made for that purpose
>ruins said item in process
WAAAAAH
why shamsung not warn me that the screen would burn in when set too bright? I was just too dumb and poor to do what I wanted to do properly!
don't blame MEeeee!

disgusting faggot

>> No.65095413

>>65095256
>>65090804
>>65090676
>>65090038
>t. retards

>> No.65095848

ITODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>> No.65095888

>>65079166
iphone x displays are literally made by Samsung.

>> No.65096566

>the state of iCucks

>> No.65096665

>>65079070
What do these numbers even mean?

>> No.65097195

>>65096665
Absolutely nothing.
The only time benchmarks are ever even semi-useful is when comparing CPUs from the same manufacturer across different SKUs.

>> No.65098468

>>65094316
You are forgetting that information needs to be processed, just pulling shit from RAM does nothing.

>> No.65100322

>>65078572
>Buying a phone because it opens apps 0.5 seconds faster
I wish shills would just leave.

>> No.65100350

>>65096665
It's the result of how fast their arbitrary tests can run converted in a score.

>> No.65100395

>>65079178
>he can't grasp the idea of "screen" being referred to color calibration and brightness

>> No.65100620

>>65078572

I hate Apple as much as you do, but this behaviour is caused by 6GB of RAM(GS9) vs whatever the fuck the iPhone has, which I bet isn't more than 2GB

Having that much RAM helps a lot with opening times, even when you "cold start"

Sent from my Note 8

>> No.65101459

>>65100620
Actually the X has 3GB of RAM.
And at the same price, they can't complain about the difference. Apple brought this upon themselves.

>> No.65101677 [DELETED] 

>>65078572
>poordroid coping
It's okay Rajesh, Apple was always superior

>> No.65103105

>>65100322
>t. iToddler

>> No.65103632

>>65078572
Oh wow .2 seconds faster. Now do it after installing 30 “apps” and using it for a year. Fuck off with this shit thread. Let people spend their money how they want and quit crying about it.

>> No.65103642

>>65103632
>Let people spend their money how they want and quit crying about it.
>t. assblasted iToddler mad the mods deleted all his shill/bait threads

>> No.65103677

>>65103642
Dude, mad about what? I don’t own either phone this is an absolute shitty bait thread.

>> No.65104333

>>65100322
>paying more for a slower phone

>> No.65105463

>>65078572
>iPhone
Found your problem.

>> No.65106530

>>65104333
iToddlers will defend this.

>> No.65107806

>>65105463

>> No.65107815

>>65078572
iOS is bloated slow garbage.

>> No.65107836

>>65106530
>having to use Android
>not being able to use glorious iOS

Indians WILL defend this.

>> No.65107849
File: 17 KB, 400x400, 1495972137975.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65107849

>>65107836
>lagOS
>glorious

>> No.65108454

iToddlers have defended this.

>> No.65108568

>>65100395
>He can't grasp that both panels are manufactured, assembled and calibrated in literally the same factory by literally the same people.

>> No.65108599

>>65108568
You don't understand man, it's an Apple, I can feel it's different, it's just better.

>> No.65109606

>>65078572
Apple is gay.

>> No.65109621

>>65079166
>>65082017
>>65089657
Displaymate (Site who does the most indepth smartphone screen reviews) declared the S9/+ screen the "Best" screen ever featured on a smartphone, beating out the iPhone X in color accuracy and brightness. You can check out their review for proof. They provide all the numbers and hardproof benchmarks.

>> No.65110351

How will iToddlers ever recover?

>> No.65110425

>>65108599
>t. itoddler

>> No.65110544

The same reason we don't use dual cores in high end computers

>> No.65110980

>>65109606
You're late.

>> No.65111439

>>65109621
displaymate has no idea what they are doing.
iOS is color-managed since forever, android is just getting partial support in 8.0:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/8/#h5
so declaring any android phone better than an iOS device in color accuracy is asinine.

>> No.65111509

Ever wonder why different YouTuber$ $eem to get vastly different re$ult$ on their """""te$t$"""""?

I've alway$ wondered why a$ well.

>> No.65111540

>>65079166
For the last time; they don't use the same display. Apple designed the iPhone X's display but doesn't have the capacity to build hundreds of millions of them within weeks, but Samsung does. So essentially, they brought the blueprints to Samsung, patents in hand in case of any funny business, and asked them to manufacture it for them. Apple actually makes very few parts of the iPhone; most other parts of it are made by Sony, Foxconn, LG, Sharp and Samsung.
This is not an uncommon practice. Nintendo's products are made almost entirely from parts they designed but didn't manufacture. Same goes to the Pixel phones, those are basically just HTC phones designed by Google.
So, yes, the iPhone X does use a display made by Samsung, but it's only manufactured by them because they're literally the only company capable of doing it, which is why Apple and Google are both throwing so much money at LG.

>> No.65111553

>>65078572
Why does anti apple shilling coincide with release of s9

>> No.65111560

>>65110544
>What is G4600, the best CPU of all time
Sad!

>> No.65111675

>>65108568
that's like saying Apple's A11 Bionic and Qualcomm's Snapdragon 845 are the same because both are fabbed by Samsung.

design is what matters, not who's fabbing and assembling it.
just take a look at Apple's unique panel design:
http://tech.nikkeibp.co.jp/dm/atclen/news_en/15mk/011801852/

>> No.65113556

>>65111439
Except that only applies to stock Android.

>> No.65113650

>>65111540
>>65111675
Except Apple has no display technologies. It's literally a Samsung's Super AMOLED.

>> No.65114144
File: 10 KB, 305x300, a76b1289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65114144

Only mentally ill homosexuals buy apple products

>> No.65116371

>>65114144
Thistvhfam

>> No.65117322

Apple is gay.

>> No.65118894

How will iToddlers ever recover?

>> No.65119177

>>65111675
>design is what matters, not who's fabbing and assembling it.
This. A11 is a fucking joke and is designed purely to cheat benchmarks, and gets shat on in any real world application.

>> No.65120052

iToddlers have defended this.

>> No.65121116
File: 151 KB, 768x768, 1516260431629.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65121116

>>65100322

>> No.65122143

>>65118894
They can't.

>> No.65123474

>applel

>> No.65123993
File: 359 KB, 800x450, thumb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
65123993

>brand wars

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action