Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 46 KB, 810x456, 96476DA3-384D-4A44-BC25-6AE11AB04F6D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62684144 No.62684144 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

I’ve noticed a number of people here look down on people who use Apple financing. Let me educate you.

Even if you have the money to buy the apple products up front, using the special financing is still superior. Why?

1. It’s interest free. So you’re not losing money by availing of financing. In fact, you’re actually winning money. The risk free rate is approximately 1.3%. That means by delaying payment over two years, you/re making 1.3% a year of the amount of money you can keep in the bank by availing of financing.

2. Utility. I could afford a brand new iMac right now. Currently my income is $150,000 but I expect this to go up over the next two years. If I pay back my iMac, interest free over the next two years, that money will mean less to me a year from now when I am earning more money.

>> No.62684163

Yes you must be a very wealthy individual for using apple financing. Just so very misunderstood.

>> No.62684176

>buying apple products
>using the /g/ - Technology board
Pick one

>> No.62684199

>>62684144
well yes that's nice but why am I in an Apple Town Square

>> No.62684201
File: 10 KB, 225x225, 1491988000783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62684201

>>62684144
Haha poorfag detected, kys

>> No.62684227

>>62684163
I haven’t used it yet. I am considering it. Chances are, you have no idea what I mean by “risk free rate” and therefore have no comprehension of the OP. Allow me to expand.

Person A and person B are both relatively well off young adults with 30k in the bank and 120k income. Both want to buy a top of the line new iMac for $5000.

Person A thinks he is rich enough that he doesn’t need financing, so he just buys it up front. Person A: -$5000

Person B on the other hand understands the opportunity cost of capital and the risk free rate. He avails of apple financing to pay his iMac off over 2 2.5k installments over 2 years.

At the same time, he buys $5k worth of US treasury bonds yielding 1.3%.

After one year, He has earned $65 of interest. He pays off 2.5k of his installment and invests the remaining 2565.

After the remaining year, he has earned an additional 34 dollars of interest and pays off the remaining balance.

As you can see, person B has saved $99 by recognizing the time value of money.

>> No.62684377

>>62684227
>time value of money.
What about the monetary value of time? Arranging this bullshit will easily consume at least an hour of my time, which, at my current rate as a consultant, equals $150 (just to walk through the door). So at a minimum, I've lost $51.

>> No.62684476

>>62684377
>Arranging this bullshit will easily consume at least an hour of my time
So don't turn down a job to buy an imac..
When was the last time you thought about vacuuming or cooking this way?

>> No.62684480

>>62684144
>1. It’s interest free. So you’re not losing money by availing of financing. In fact, you’re actually winning money. The risk free rate is approximately 1.3%. That means by delaying payment over two years, you/re making 1.3% a year of the amount of money you can keep in the bank by availing of financing.
Let's not forget that the inflation rate in the US is is 1.9% percent so you can use the mac for two years while it actually becomes cheaper by 1.9 compounded!

>> No.62684541

>>62684476
All of the time. Have you ever been in business for yourself?

>> No.62684672

How about I wait two years to buy the machine at far deeper discount.

>> No.62684689

>>62684227
So very misunderstood.

>> No.62684709

>>62684227
>Nigger accounting 101

>> No.62684801

>>62684144
This is correct, but you have to consider a more insidious trap that this creates, which is how things seem way cheaper this way, so you end up needlessly spending more money than normal because you "feel" the expenses less, but at the end of the financing period you're poorer than you'd be by buying a cheaper model and paying upfront instead of falling for the "if I buy the premium model the only added cost is that of a daily coffee" trap.

So as long as you're just financing exactly what you'd have bought anyway, you're fine.

>> No.62684824

>>62684689
>>62684709
Not him but can you explain why please?

>> No.62684828
File: 1012 KB, 487x2435, Comb18092017094959.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62684828

>>62684144
>macfaggot mactoddlerd have to get their shitty fruit products on lease while they live in the street
Not surprised at all desu desu.

>> No.62684929

>>62684824
Because trying to justify a $5000 expense with "saving" $99 after 2 years is absolutely, fucking retarded.

>> No.62685006

>>62684929
But he isn't saying
>buy the expensive model because you can finance it and save $99.
He's saying
>when you buy the expensive stuff, finance it instead of paying all at once, so you save $99.

It's implied that he'd have bought the same thing regardless.
How is financing bad in that situation?

>> No.62685022

>>62684144
What's the point in creating this thread on a technology board? It's not /fa/ /lgbt/, we discuss here operating system kernels, IPC, hardware interruptions, memory mapping, high performance computing, artificial intelligence and sometimes the superiority of the white race.

>> No.62685043

>>62685022
This. These threads are getting very annoying.

>I'm very poor so I'll pay for something with a lease so my gay friends won't think I'm poor
lol

>> No.62685088

>>62684144
>1. It’s interest free. So you’re not losing money by availing of financing. In fact, you’re actually winning money. The risk free rate is approximately 1.3%. That means by delaying payment over two years, you/re making 1.3% a year of the amount of money you can keep in the bank by availing of financing.
>2. Utility. I could afford a brand new iMac right now. Currently my income is $150,000 but I expect this to go up over the next two years. If I pay back my iMac, interest free over the next two years, that money will mean less to me a year from now when I am earning more money.
A wealthy person doesn't even think about these things at the kind of prices Apple ask for their products.

>> No.62685104

>>62685022
>>62685043
Remember to report advertisement and off-topic threads

>> No.62685106

>>62685006
The root of the issue is this: OP is obviously angered by the fact that his favorite meme has been neutered by financing. This means Jamal and Tyreese can now own the same "luxurious" Apple products as him. Essentially, the "UR2POOR" bullshit carries no weight, and he must justify his obsession with shiny objects in a sensible way.

>> No.62685122

>>62684144
If you can't fully pay off the product on the spot then you can't afford it simple as that, poorfag.

>> No.62685125

>>62684144
fuck off jew

>> No.62685175

I used it to get a more beefed up MBP instead of a base model that was the only one I could afford at the time.

>> No.62685301

>>62685122
What if you really need it but can't afford it?

>> No.62685332

>>62685301
Nobody needs a Mac

>> No.62685334

>>62685301
Finance it, just don't carry on with an air of superiority about owning an expensive, lackluster, product.

>> No.62685354

>>62685301
>>62685332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdbbzeLitk

>> No.62685392

Imagine being so poor that you have to finance a computer

>> No.62685404

>>62685354
Where's the satire?

>> No.62685471

>>62685022
>forgot to mention the animu mental illness
lad...

>> No.62685472
File: 115 KB, 548x360, chris-kirkland-hobo-ceo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62685472

>>62685392
That's probably what most mactards do. My sister did just that.

>be working in retail
>live rent free because she's the favorite child
>"own" a mercedes on a $300 monthly lease
>"own" iPhone 7 on $30 monthly lease
>"own" macbook on $40 monthly lease
>2K credit card maxed out, barely makes minimum payments
>goes to nearby starbucks with all the things she "owns" to laugh with her stupid braindead friends on a daily basis
>comes begging me for loans on a weakly basis

I'm moving to DC once I get enough coin together. I can't stand this chickenhead and my stupid parents who can barely operate a tv remote and charge me $800/month for a small room.

>> No.62685543

>>62685332
>>62685332
>>62685334
>>62685354
I'm not talking about Apple specifically. Just responding to this >>62685122
>If you can't fully pay off the product on the spot then you can't afford it

If I need something to work (or for whatever other reason) should I simply not buy it if I don't have all the money at once?

>> No.62685559

>>62685472
Jesus Christ I'd be pretty fucking pissed in that situation

>> No.62685570

>>62685543
>If I need something to work (or for whatever other reason) should I simply not buy it if I don't have all the money at once?
Pretty fucking much. Just ask my uncle who got an F-250 on a lease and then was forced to return it to the dealer after getting his leg broken and not working for 2 months. He had already paid 7 months too.

>> No.62685649

>>62685543
Of course there's nothing wrong with using credit as long as it's done sensibly. This thread was simply created in attempt to downplay the hypocrisy of Macfags calling people poor.

>> No.62685676

>>62685649
Credit should only be used for emergencies. It's never something people should be using on a monthly basis. That's how you get into so much fucking debt you have to file for bankruptcy.

>> No.62685695

>>62685472
seems extremely retarded that your parents charg you $800 a month while your sister lives for free. at the most it should be a even split $400 for you and $400 for your sister.

>> No.62685715

>>62685695
That's not how siblings work

>> No.62685728

>>62685676

Not if you pay it off every month, and get to reap the benefits of credit programs

>> No.62685729

>>62685676
>If I need something to work
>sensibly
Making money is a pretty major priority for most of us.

>> No.62685792
File: 83 KB, 640x524, jumping.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62685792

>>62685715
This, it's fucking gay and retarded.

>>62685728
The thing is it's a sinkhole. One day you'll say "$20/month isn't too bad, I can do that" then you'll be like my sister who would fucking die if she went to live by herself. She's literally been domesticated by my parents and credit companies lmao.

>> No.62685831

>>62684144
if it's truly interest free financing and there's no markup or anything buying directly from Apple, and I was already going to buy it at that price, I guess financing would make sense given the time value of money.

The idea of financing an electronics purchase is very strange to me though.

>> No.62685844

>>62685695
They're using his $800 to help pay for his sister's retardedness

>> No.62685845

>>62685792
Sauce?

>> No.62685864

>>62685728
This. I get 4% cashback on everything and it doesn't cost me a cent

>>62685792
>The thing is it's a sinkhole
Only if you're a financial retard

>> No.62685878

>>62684144
>It’s interest free.

lol no

>Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the purchase balance is not paid in full by the end of the promotional period or if you make a late payment. The purchase APR will be 14.99%, 20.99%, or 27.99% variable, based on your credit worthiness.

>> No.62685883
File: 28 KB, 600x746, chris-hansen-007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62685883

>>62685845
It's buy that seat over there

>> No.62685935

>>62685831
>The idea of financing an electronics purchase is very strange to me though.
Financing anything should be. It's never your until you pay the last cent, you're essentially renting it. Pay all 11 payments but can't make the last? Too fucking bad, now we take it back or enjoy that 300 FICO score.

>>62685864
>Only if you're a financial retard
Are you implying most people aren't? 80% of the world is poor because they're stupid and can't handle money.

>> No.62685949

>>62685935
>Are you implying most people aren't? 80% of the world is poor because they're stupid and can't handle money.
Yeah and that's not my problem. Their idiocy pays for all the extra benefits my platinum card has

>> No.62685950

Why do so many indians get macbooks? /g/ said they were supposed to be poor but all I see is them wearing a bunch of gold jewelry and using a macbook...

>> No.62685952

>>62685935
Imagine being this shit with money

>> No.62685975

>>62685949
So you think you're one of the 20%, huh? Where's your 24K watch and brand new BMW you paid in full with cash? Oh and you must show me your half a million dollar home you bought with cash.

>> No.62685989

>>62685975
Jesus fuck, do you have an irrational hatred for people who are good with money?

>> No.62686023

>>62685975
Nah I drive a Porsche and just financed a house at $600k that's already worth $800k. Watch faggotry is dumb, I still use a Pebble Steel

And I'm not that richfag twirling my evil mustache and smoking fat Cubans while workers toil away and grovel at my feet that you think I am

Get that sand out of your vagina

>> No.62686027

Oh great, a cookie-cutter shillpasta. Fuck off, nobody cares about your new business model and inferior OS.

>> No.62686028

>>62685989
No but you're clearly not one of them you poor smuchk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk

>> No.62686043

>>62686027
Succint and effective.

>> No.62686104

>>62686023
see
>>62686028

>> No.62686143

>>62686028
>>62686104
Your logic is literally "the gubment is keeping me down, man" tier while living in one of the most free nations in human history

>> No.62686162

>>62686143
What? No, I'm just calling you a poser. You're nobody just like the rest of us.

>> No.62686185

>>62686162
A poser with a credit score of over 800 and multiple sources of cash and investments

Keep living the NEET life, I tried that and it wasn't very healthy

>> No.62686192

>>62685332
My friend went to college to study audio production and the software they'll be working on is Mac only, so he had to buy a Macbook because he's not good enough to make or mantain a hackintosh.
Not having the money to afford it, he financed it.

There are many such cases where you can only use software available on Mac, so you have to get one.

>> No.62686205

>>62686185
Whatever you say, Joe.

>> No.62686238

>>62686192
see
>>62685354

He could have easily ran an alternative software suite or ran a mac OS VM. No wonder your imaginary friend is majoring in audio stuff, too low-cut to do the base minimum and take electronic engineering?

>> No.62686250

>>62684176
Seriously tho, im actually wondering why there's so many fucking apple retards in here. It's fucking annoying, they dont know shit about technology so the only thing they do is boast about having apple products and whine when someone says they dont want and/or need their piece of shit computers with that crapfest they call OS X. They need to learn how to build a fucking computer or realise their computers and OS are fucking shit.

>> No.62686294

>>62686043
thanks

>> No.62686308

>>62686238
>He could have easily ran an alternative software suite
Nope. The software was a requirement.
Maybe after becoming good he could use other alternatives, but for following assignments and lessons he had to use the same software as their teachers.
The same goes for a lot of companies who only use Mac-only software and require you to use that for obvious reasons.

>>62686238
>or ran a mac OS VM
Drastically reduced performance and too complicated to use for someone non-tech-savvy.
Just because it's a viable option for you it doesn't mean it is for everybody else.

>> No.62686327

>>62686192
Who the fuck goes to college to learn how to use a DAW? Taste cannot be bought.

>> No.62686332

>>62686327
A lot of people apparently.

>> No.62686405

>>62686308
Your imaginary friend is an idiot? Got it.

>>62686327
They took audio which is like the liberal arts of technology lmao.

>> No.62686431

>>62686405
>If you're not good with technology and have other interests in life you're an idiot.
Cool. You learn something every day.

>> No.62686481

>>62684144

This is stupid as fuck to do if the dollars strengthens. It can net you a minor profit if the dollar weakens.

So basically you are rolling the dice that maybe you can make a small sum of money.

>> No.62686519

>>62684144
>Interest free
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah everything is free lad

>> No.62687292

>>62686481
It also doesn't work out in his favor because that Apple product immediately depreciates.

He is stuck paying off something worth a lot less.

>> No.62687307

>>62686519
Apple doesn't lie like Google or micro$oft.

>> No.62687719

>>62687307
Good giy

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action