Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 108 KB, 1287x749, 1456117792686.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793053 No.57793053 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Do you have an excuse for not using the best daw ever made? pic related.

>> No.57793076
File: 141 KB, 803x688, memed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793076

>daw
>gno/linocks

>> No.57793080

I use software that's at least worth the intellectual property it is

>> No.57793112

>lonix daw
lel

>> No.57793143

>>57793053
You can't be serious with this shit

>> No.57793162
File: 168 KB, 1647x962, 1439846056510.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793162

>>57793053
Actual real men use Pure Data.

>> No.57793189

lmms is cool.

I just like FL Studio better.

>> No.57793232
File: 273 KB, 1600x876, CsoundQt083.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793232

or Csound

>> No.57793233

>>57793053
Unfortunately, there's still no good linux DAW.

Part of the problem is that there are so many audio systems, that supporting all of them and all the possible configurations they could have is probably not worth it.

Note that OpenBSD does not have this problem: it has a perfectly good, low-latency STANDARD audio system (see sndio). Linducks take note.

>> No.57793245
File: 884 KB, 1920x1040, Cubase.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793245

>>57793053
Cubase master-race reporting in

>> No.57793271

>>57793245
Does Steinberg still require a usb dongle to run Cubase?

>> No.57793274
File: 115 KB, 685x628, p-values_crop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793274

>>57793233
JACK is the standard for audio work on GNU.

As for the work environment, Csound is the most versatile

>> No.57793285

>>57793274
What professional actually uses csound?

>> No.57793286
File: 23 KB, 750x724, 1474278463756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793286

>>57793189
another FLfag here.

I had so much great fun with it for now coming closer and closer to 2 fucking decades, it just feels like a good friend now.

tried so many other DAWs but in the end I always returned to FL.
others might be better in a lot of cases but that shit just went into my blood and I can't get it out of my head ever again.

but since I'm still having a great time with it, I guess that is all what counts.

>> No.57793304

>>57793143

Whats wrong with it?

>>57793162

puredata is best paired with a daw.

>>57793233

not really, you have pulse and jack which both use alsa and can be configured to work together..

>> No.57793325

>>57793274
>JACK
It's probably a lot better now, but last I checked, installing jack was a huge pain on debian.

>Csound
What does this have over some of those lisp-based live audio programs like this one https://github.com/overtone/overtone/ ?

>> No.57793326

>>57793245

>Cubase

lol.
does really anyone still use that?

I know it was a fucking standard years ago but most cubasers I know went to protools and/or abLELton live

>> No.57793329

>>57793271
It never did, you could always use software E-Licenser. You buy USB E-Licenser when you often switch computers so you don't have to reinstall this shit every time

>> No.57793372

>>57793304
>Whats wrong with it?
Literally everything?

>> No.57793385

>>57793285
Acoustics researchers
Aphex Twin
Xenharmonic and microtonal composers,
because all mainstream DAWs like Cubase are dogshit for working with xenharmonic material. All the controls are designed to use the 12-EDO tuning system only.
Bottom line, if you aspire to more than plebeian pop productions, Cubase and the like are nearly useless.

>> No.57793402

>>57793233
It's not the drivers, it's just the DAWs that are all trash
Linux can easily have better latency than anything on windows

>> No.57793418

>>57793385
Apiece twin uses any and all random toasters that makes noise, like most good breakbeat producers

>> No.57793421
File: 27 KB, 1280x720, 1479019202496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793421

>>57793372

Not an argument, it's a pleasure to use.

>> No.57793450

>>57793385
You're wrong about 12-step, the options is just buried in the non-normie drop down menu. Also Renoise is perfect for that micromanagement and extreme sample editing and isn't garbage foss

>> No.57793474

>>57793053
What's the best babby-level DAW for making chiptunes for a programmer who's learning to music?

>> No.57793480

>>57793421
K cool. Keep me posted on that EP you'll never release

>> No.57793482
File: 57 KB, 640x427, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793482

>>57793421
Not an argument, it's not a pleasure to use.

>> No.57793496

>>57793474
Lsdj and a original-model gameboy

>> No.57793500

renoise is better than lmms

>> No.57793510

>>57793474
Alternatively, any non-Linux DAW in the world and some chip tune VST like magical8bitsynth or whatever the 30 different square wavers are

>> No.57793514

>>57793245
>protools
Decent, but all the professional DAW's are basically the same, just depends what interface you prefer. I find cubase really intuitive, unlike logic, which is aids.
>abLELton live
>LEL
>live
ableton is pretty good for live, but sucks for everything else

>> No.57793529

>>57793385
>Xenharmonic
hell no

>> No.57793537

>>57793286
Same here. It's in my blood and it won't ever leave.

>> No.57793539

>>57793496
Looks pretty cool. Anything like it for 16-bit consoles or later Nintendo portables?

>> No.57793550

>>57793514
Ment for:
>>57793326

>> No.57793551
File: 267 KB, 356x450, 1461914805924.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793551

>>57793482

https://clyp.it/fogh1eup

straight out the dungeons of FLOSS.

>> No.57793597

>>57793245
My nigga, Cubase 9 will be out soon.
>>57793326
t.no clue about music production

>> No.57793599
File: 166 KB, 539x717, 31edo_mos_families.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793599

>>57793529
>Xenharmonic
>hell no
Unlike pop garbage or memerap,
xenharmonic composition requires a solid theoretical foundation.

>> No.57793605

>>57793514
Pro tools is not the same as other daws, it's almost entirely recording-based, heavily hardware-based (proprietary at that), and isn't practical for anybody doing any in-the-box production. It's only "pro" for recording
Also Ableton is fantastic and extremely capable, don't be fooled by session view, even though it's a highlight of Ableton you don't have to use it (I never do actually, also I never DJ, just produce)
And of course, if a DAW is ReWire compatible, you can mix one daws functionality and another daws GUI for perfection (I use Ableton/Renoise, or as I like to call it, Ableton + Renoise)

>> No.57793621

>>57793539
I think there's a NES tracker game, and plenty of people hand make MIDI breakout cartridges and sell them
I don't think there's anything for SNES and up, as they moved away from a couple basic chips to real wave table synthesis

>> No.57793622

>>57793605
I prefer GNU Albeton + Renoise

>> No.57793636

>>57793599
Mathrock failed for a reason

>> No.57793640

>>57793636
Yeah, most people are stupid.

>> No.57793648

>>57793474
Program your own lol
No seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XvWRzWzgNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tumpkl-xJuA

>> No.57793662

>>57793599
yeh but it sounds like shit lol

>> No.57793664

>>57793640
I'm okay with that, I'll make stupid dumb wimp womp and get pussy without having any social skills, and you can listen to your glorified metronomes and enjoy those

>> No.57793740

>>57793474

>>57793496
This. Or LMMS

>> No.57793744

>>57793474
>>57793648
Here is the c# code for the thing I am working on at the moment if you want a bit of a starter

>> No.57793760

>>57793744
forgot link:
https://github.com/Protocat112/ProtoSynth/blob/master/ProtoSynth.cs

>> No.57793767

>>57793740
Daw doesn't matter
Literally one 8-bit VST and monophonic limits and you have it. Rectangle waves, triangle waves, 8-bit wavetable and noise, that's it

>> No.57793772

>>57793664
Shots fired

>> No.57793882

>>57793664
>acquire social skills
>learn music theory
>???
>PROFIT!

>> No.57793916

>>57793882
I have learned music theory, that in no way whatsoever means mathrock in any form is good. That's probably why it failed and why "nobody understands muh music"
Not like cheaply quantized JavaScript music uses theory properly anyways

>> No.57793933
File: 116 KB, 1920x1080, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57793933

>>57793916
B-B-But it factors out to zero
B-B-But muh Tool

>> No.57793941

>>57793933
Even tool accepted that mathrock for the sake of mathrock isn't good

>> No.57793974

>>57793941
>mathrock for the sake of mathrock isn't good
That's probably true.

>> No.57794032

>>57793916
how is it fucking possible for someone to be this dumb
not only are you generalizing an entire genre, but you're saying that it is objectively bad. OBJECTIVITY IN MUSIC
you are a fucking golden retriever

>> No.57794058
File: 38 KB, 562x437, 1778340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57794058

>>57793286
>>57793189
why are the FL Studio bros the only one's not argueing? It's like they are happy with what they have and know that they can achieve anything if they just try!

>> No.57794066

>>57794032
Are you saying its objectively good? Because it's a dozen quantized loops played over and over?
Because you don't know how to do it on a regular DAW?

>> No.57794090

>>57794066
>Are you saying its objectively good?
literally how did you get this out of what i said? your comprehension is abysmal
if you believe in objectivity in music you are a fucking moron

>> No.57794131

>>57794090
So why do you like mathrock then? Because "logic tells you to"?

>> No.57794168

>>57794131
because i am in individual and can enjoy whatever the fuck i want
i respect some of the technical ability required to play it
i respect the creativity that goes into a lot of it
i like the emotions

>> No.57794193
File: 734 KB, 720x540, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57794193

>>57794168
>creativity
>mathrock
All right, you got me

>> No.57794223

>>57794193
if you only listen to /mu/'s top 10 math rock whatever of course you're going to think it's all the same
jesus fucking christ, take some initiative and either find your own fucking music or stop shitting on something you have little to no actual understanding of
i'm actually embarrassed at the thought that people like you are living in this world

>> No.57794257
File: 225 KB, 682x600, 1476084367145.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57794257

>>57794058
>Fruity Loops
I mean, for starters its called fucking 'Fruity Loops'

>> No.57794328

R E N O I S E
E
N
O
I
S
E

>> No.57794339

>>57794131
Literally never said anything about liking or disliking mathrock, the comments were about objectivity.
Holy fuck, you're bad at reading.

>> No.57795270

anyone use bitwig specifically on linux? how is it? audio drivers for it? is your favorite vst ported to linux?

>> No.57796461

>>57795270
I would but I couldn't find a torrent for it.

>> No.57796533

>>57793402
Bitwig

>> No.57796582

>>57793053
>using a DAW
>literally the most retarded way to create music
Learn how music actually works and come back when you're not retarded.
Also, I bet that track sounds like shit.

>> No.57796589

>>57795270
What disappoints me is that most tutorials are either ableton or fl oriented. More specifically, i dont know of any decent artist making a video on bitwig

>> No.57796635

>>57794257
>Everyone argues about obscure Linux based programs
That's why FL Studio will always win. People make millions of dollars with what FL Studio can do. You guys argue about 'math rock,' buggy amateur programs and latency.

>> No.57796775

>>57796582
alright then, what? a music tracker or recording actual instruments?

>> No.57796802
File: 12 KB, 500x133, roland_w30_main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57796802

>>57793143

There isn't anything wrong with lmms, it's as good as fruity loops. It can use vst plugins which means it's as good as anything else out there.

After that it's just workflow preferences. Personally I don't like the fl workflow. People do and that's cool.

Reminder liam howlet (the prodigy) used a fucking w-30 to write the experience and jilted generation, arguably his two best albums. Albums that still rival edm made with fastly superior technology.

It's not the tools you use it's how you use them.

>> No.57796863
File: 1.23 MB, 1761x1458, Propellerhead-Reason-5-Free.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57796863

>>57796589

Just read the manual.

Back in the day one day after taking some Ritalin I sat down and read the entire propellerheads reason 3.0 manual. Start to finish. At the end I knew how to make a song.

>> No.57796906

>>57796775
Trackers are just DAWs for edgelords.
Use independent synthesizer programs, learn to play an actual instrument, or learn to do audio output in a decent programming language.

>> No.57797061
File: 7 KB, 639x399, Screamtracker_321.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57797061

>>57796775

Trackers are just sequencers.

Usually it is in a vertical flow instead of horizontal.

>> No.57797090

>>57793053
Keeps getting better

>> No.57797146

>>57793551
made me jej

WEST SIDE

>> No.57797159

>>57793760
dan please

>> No.57797198

>>57793233
bitwig studio isn't good huh?

>> No.57797280

But I am, fagalam

>> No.57798652
File: 946 KB, 3840x1080, bitterwig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
57798652

Bitwig

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action