Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 36 KB, 640x480, windows-7-install-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56505012 No.56505012 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

A general for all those who are sticking to the best modern Microsoft Operating System.

>Microsoft Download Centre
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download

>Direct X 9 Updater
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429

>Remote Server Administration Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=7887

>Convenience update (most patches up to April 2016)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

>30 Free Open Source softwares for Windows
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/30-essential-pieces-of-free-and-open-software-for-windows/

>Ninite - Install multiple apps at once
https://ninite.com/

>Ninite Lifehacker Pack
>https://ninite.com/lifehacker

>Windows 7 Master Control Panel
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GodMode-Windows-7-How-to,9345.html

>Windows and Office ISO download tool
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

>Spybot Anti-Beacon
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

>CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy
https://www.piriform.com/download

>Antivirus/AntiMalware Downloads
http://filehippo.com/software/antimalware/

>Alternative Browsers
http://filehippo.com/software/internet/

>> No.56505059

>forgetting this
http://web.archive.org/web/20160908045934/http://wu.krelay.de/en/

>> No.56505105

>>56505059
It's actually listed as a pre-requisite for the Convenience Update, so I didn't think it worth mentioning but thank you.

>> No.56505142

What is best Windows AV?

>> No.56505311

Bamp

>> No.56505450

>How to get your Windows 7 fully updated and working after fresh install

Get these and install in order if you want to use Windows Update without any dumb bug:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

Or get all the updates at once:
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976932
(only if you don't have Service Pack 1 installed)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

>EXTRA
>Get Windows 7 for free
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

>> No.56505470

>>56505012
Windows 7 ricing resource:
http://nanami-tan.info

>> No.56505656

There goes a bump, interesting thread.

Anyone knows a safe way to remix a Full iso with the latest WSUS?

>> No.56505742

>>56505656
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

>> No.56505772

>>56505742
Or this (looks easier, but I never tried)

http://www.howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/

>> No.56505777

thingken of downgrading

the spying stuff might even be really overblown (no shill) but I hate this operating system regardless

its like it always has its fingers in my shit and i just want to be left alone

>> No.56505779

Does Windows 7 spy too?

>> No.56505788

>>56505779
It has been implied that all windows do since XP, but atleast nothing is W10 tier.

>> No.56505804

>>56505742
>>56505772
How have to check them up, the problem is that I wanted to use it on a AIO version I have. Did add the wsusoffline installer, but it takes way too log to install everything.

>> No.56505845

Why can't we just make a windows general instead?

>> No.56505872

>upgrade to botnet 10
>begin the thirty minute process of cranking everything down to 0
>can only go as low as "basic" on diagnostics and usage data
>click more info

Basic
Basic sends data that is vital to the operation of Windows. It helps keep Windows and apps secure, up to date, and running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. Basic includes basic error reporting back to Microsoft. Basic data consists of:

•Configuration data, including the manufacturer of your device, model, number of processors, display size and resolution, date, region and language settings, and other data about the capabilities of the device.

•The software (including drivers and firmware supplied by device manufacturers), installed on the device.

•Performance and reliability data, such as which programs are launched on a device, how long they run, how quickly they respond to input, how many problems are experienced with an app or device, and how quickly information is sent or received over a network connection.

•Network and connection data, such as the device's IP address, number of network connections in use, and data about the networks you connect to, such as mobile networks, Bluetooth, and identifiers (BSSID and SSID), connection requirements and speed of Wi-Fi networks you connect to.

•Other hardware devices connected to the device.

JUST

>> No.56505899

>>56505845
Arch autists will rage

>> No.56506116

>>56505012
>https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download
how to get win7 pro ? You can't even buy it from their site.

>> No.56506177

If you want to upgrade from a cheaper version of 7 to ultimate, just enter a matching key from the windows loader ini file into "Windows alltime upgrade", let the upgrade run and reinstall windows loader.

>> No.56506178

I wish they would just make an SP2 ISO or that slipstreaming wasn't fucking painful, because I fucking cannot stand Windows 10. It's like a real straw man of Windows by freetards.

>> No.56506196

>>56505012
I would like to 'downgrade' to 7 from 10 but I don't know if I have proper driver support. I'm using an Asus F555L.

>> No.56506235

>>56505012
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574
>look at the list of known bugs and issues
nope, nope, nope
fuck that, and fuck this

>https://ninite.com/
>ninite
botnet installer shit, get the programs from the source

>> No.56506269

>>56506196
https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/516/0/5/iDj76sQprYFuQe5J/30/

Looks like it to me. Run SDI from https://sdi-tool.org/ after installing and you should be good to go. Get the offline version if you can, just in case.

>> No.56506281

>>56506235
You're already using Windows and are still worried about botnets?

>> No.56506297
File: 170 KB, 803x688, 1469026669422.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56506297

>>56505012

>> No.56506352

>>56505012
> convenience pack
> not using WSUS

Not even bait, I'm seriously asking you why you wouldn't use WSUS. It's as fast as you OS will go, and if you're not incompetent you'll use it right the second or third time around (and realize to check all the pertinent boxes).

It's totally professional, very simple, lightweight, and elegant. I completely recommend it.

> inb4"just windows updates"

Fallacious and you've never used it. It updates .NET, C++ redistributable, and Office if you have it (and more I think).

So seriously, I like the idea of w7g, add this pls.

(And go fucking look it up yourself for the site)

>> No.56506371

I have a 7 COA that I used to install W10 since Microsoft doesn't host 7's ISO anymore. Now that I've found alternate sources for that ISO file, am I fucked since I already used it for W10?

I don't mind W10, but I feel it's a little heavy on my old laptop.

>> No.56506441

Why would you want to stay on this operating system? Any problems that are present now are basically going to be here forever since they no longer are going to focus on windows 7.

For instance, recently my CPU had been idling at 30-40% on Windows 7. Turned out that the windows update service under the svchost process was responsible.


I can understand that you may not like windows 10 or other operating systems compared to windows 7, but at least those alternatives still have room to improve, and may not be owned by incompetent companies that break their own software.

>> No.56506470

>>56506441
>For instance, recently my CPU had been idling at 30-40% on Windows 7. Turned out that the windows update service under the svchost process was responsible
That's your fucking fault for not turning the settings down, faggot. I bet you had it on automatic.

>> No.56506477

>>56506371
For future reference

>>> /g/sqt

But to actually answer your question, no. You're fine. Just try and install.

>"doesn't work"

Call microshaft, they'll help you install

>"why/how?"

>"how"

Automated system works ezpz.

>"Why"

Your key is good for win7 on an oem profile with an oem key. Your "upgrade" to 10 was actually just reserving a key in their system (meaning you have it for life).

In English, you own BOTH 7 and 10 for that specific machine. So when you call you WILL get activation - if the machine doesn't work a person will help you.

Windows licensing. Pretty useful shit.

t. I.T. consultant that gets paid

>> No.56506480

>>56506441
Just update the Windows Update, it's a know problem.

>> No.56506483

Any tips for securing a Win7 image?

>> No.56506489
File: 388 KB, 1260x1621, 1473133913979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56506489

Literally only thing I like in Windows 10 over Windows 7 is the fact that you can paste into commandline. How can I do this in win7?

>> No.56506495

>>56506470
God forbid he expect the flagship product of one of the biggest companies on the planet to have a logical design.

>> No.56506546

>>56506470
>>56506495
I actually had it on manual updates. I had not updated in some time, yet it was eating my resources doing what exactly?

>>56506480
I just disabled it instead. Eventually I'll just grab a bundled patch like the one in the OP.

>>56506489
>right-click in CMD >left-click the option: paste
Ctrl+V just types ^V use the mouse method instead it's less than a second anyway.

>> No.56506552

>>56506495
Oh god one of these tards.

"Hurrrr it shud b perfic cuz I gib monie"

No you fuck, it's an operating system. It breaks with patches, it fails out, it flops in ways so complicated an entire career path is dedicated to fixing that shit. So yes, you have to properly configure it, like slackware debain arch and any other operating system, you have to fucking fix it.

Otherwise, get off this board and pay someone to give you that "personal touch."

>> No.56506599

>>56506546

Common issues are
>memory leaks
>having it check and download but not installing

Did you reboot your system and update?

>no

Do these and don't blame microshaft.

> yes

Get someone to be your tech support that bills you for your bitching, god knows I would.

>> No.56506836

>>56506178
You just hate everyone don't you.

>> No.56506882

How is the boot time on W7 with a SSD? I'm getting 30 sec with a shitty WD Green I found laying around.

>> No.56506897
File: 31 KB, 424x638, html and css in your start menu - windows 10 - PC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56506897

>>56506483
air gapped

>>56506495
>God forbid he expect the flagship product of one of the biggest companies on the planet to have a logical design.
>Microsoft
>logical design
>implying it's not all stolen design
They keep stealing from Apple, they're even trying to steal the closed garden idea.

>> No.56506924

>>56506882
4 seconds if you turn off BIOS countdown + fast boot enabled in BIOS. By the time my monitor finishes turning on I'm already on desktop.
It's the same with 8.1/10.

>> No.56506927

Cool, just got my first SSD and planning to install W7 and Debian.

>> No.56506932
File: 60 KB, 640x400, Win7fromWin10.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56506932

>>56505012
sharing this pic

>> No.56506958

>>56506552
Not Him. Good point. High performance always costs. Any purchase in technology is an entry point that gives you a certain level of performance. If you want more you have to work at it or pay some one to do it for you. Or you just have to keep buying more and more stuff.

>> No.56506983

>>56506927
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
I just reinstalled W7 Ultimate.

>> No.56506990

>>56506924
Are you hibernating?

>> No.56507015
File: 2.17 MB, 718x404, CLEAN YOUR PC MUSTARDS.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507015

>>56506990
No, I turned that shit off. powercfg -h off

>> No.56507058
File: 1.99 MB, 1920x1200, WHAT IS WINE MS DONT HURT ME DONT HURT ME NO MO - PC.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507058

>>56506990
And before I fucking forget:

>Step 1: Search for netplwiz in the Windows search box and hit the Enter key.
>Step 2: Uncheck the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" and click OK.

>> No.56507080

>>56507015
Cool, I might get one then.

>>56507058
Why?

>> No.56507082

>>56506983
Thank you, any tips for W7 + an SSD?

>> No.56507112

>>56506552
>update tool so utterly broken that it eats up resources in the background for basically no reason

No, fuck you, this is bad by free-as-in-beer standards.

>>56506897
kek, that's probably true. Windows 7 basically ripped off KDE 4.

>> No.56507299
File: 1.20 MB, 2785x3018, Microsoft and GUI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507299

>>56507080
It's fucking tedious entering a user login and password when there's no one else using the computer but you.

>>56507082
Check if TRIM is enabled.
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
If = 0, it is turned on. If = 1, it is turned off, so turn it on.
Modern SSDs are good enough for everyday consumer grade use that even if you pound the shit out of the read/write it won't die until you have to upgrade in 8-10 years.
Bigger SSDs = somewhat faster read/write.

>>56507112
>kek, that's probably true
This image is for you.

>> No.56507383
File: 176 KB, 1350x810, s2d6jc8l8ogx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507383

>> No.56507396

>>56505772
Fucking dank thank you

>> No.56507404

>>56507383
>KMS Pico
What kind of faggot still uses that?

>> No.56507416

>paying $100 for win 7

yeah ok

>> No.56507419

>>56507299
>What is/ was windows blinds/ whatever
>needing built-in rice to rationalize an OS

ignorant mac fanboys people

>> No.56507443

>>56507299
I know, I'm saying I agree.

The real decent thing about 7 is that it's not intentionally laden with bullshit that nobody ever wanted. The fact that I have to fucking edit the registry to disable some ridiculous Xbox app "Game DVR" horseshit to smoothly play Dota 2 when it works properly in Linux by default is nothing short of incredible.

>> No.56507451

>>56507419
>usability features
>rice

>> No.56507460

>>56505012
>>https://ninite.com/lifehacker
>uTorrent
lmao

>> No.56507464

>>56507383
Are ccleaner and rocketdock bad? I still use both.

>> No.56507486
File: 1.91 MB, 2560x1440, Windows Blinds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507486

>>56507419
>Windows Blinds
>good
Worse than rainmeter. Pic related.

>>56507443
>The real decent thing about 7 is that it's not intentionally laden with bullshit that nobody ever wanted.
It doesn't escape from having bullshit, anon.
I don't want a fucking maintenance schedule that eats up my CPU.
I don't want a media center that also eats up my CPU.
7 has bloat, it takes actual ricing to get rid of features you deem unnecessary.

>>56507464
For what do you use them?

>> No.56507523

>>56507486
Ccleaner is obvious, rocketdock for all my pirated games and emulators, its set on autohide so it doesnt get in the way of my riced desktop.

>> No.56507545
File: 102 KB, 610x750, 1470289547155.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507545

>>56505012
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

If you're staying on Windows you might as well upgrade to Win10. If not, you should just go all the way and jump ship to Linux.

What you people are doing is the equivalent of using Windows 95 when Windows XP was already out. Your operating system will soon be out of support and will receive no more security updates. Win7 has vulnerabilities up the ass.

Not to mention that half of you probably think you're real smart because you're running a pirated Windows 7 copy. Think about it, you geniuses. The team that cracked it certainly didn't do it out of love and good will. They did it to exploit its users and more than certainly have comrpomised the operating system to the point where it would be undetectable by an end user. You could be a slave in a literal botnet ran by chinese hackers and you'd never know it.

Either man up and go all the way with Linux, or take the pussy route and upgrade to Windows 10 to actually have your security covered (but under full NSA botnet). Windows 7 at this point is the retard route. Double retard route if you pirated it.

Think about that.

>> No.56507570

>>56505012
>using outdated abandonware

>> No.56507579

>>56507545
>What you people are doing is the equivalent of using Windows 95 when Windows XP was already out.
Wrong, if you check the version number it still says fucking VISTA on 7/8.1/10

>> No.56507597

>>56507579
That wouldn't surprise me, Microsoft's code is literal legacy spaghetti built on top of legacy spaghetti. Nobody knows how anything works over there. They just do stuff as it's always been done and hope nothing breaks (which it does)

>> No.56507600

>>56505142
I've been using free Spybot and Malware Bytes. ClamAV is free software AV. You need to make sure your browser is hardened most importantly.

>> No.56507601

>>56507545
what is the benefit of using W10?

i'm not worried about vulnerabilities.

>> No.56507626

>>56505845

Windows XP has been had its own threads. W10 doesn't deserve thread not specifically for ridicule. Windows 8.1 needs to lurk moar. Who cares about Vista? It's Windows 7 alpha.

>> No.56507645

>>56507601
>I'm not worried about vulnerabilities.
Security is the number one thing in computers. What people don't understand is that you don't need to be an important person to get hacked. Attacks can be so effortless and sofisticated that they can just be let out in the wild and people will get hacked without them even doing anything wrong. Something as stupid as a drive-by download or an exploit can get you anywhere, anytime. A website or file you open can literally check the versions of the programs and security patches you're running and, if it detects you're behind and vulnerable to X exploit, it will run said X exploit, And this works 90% of the time on otherwise innocent bystanders because people. don't, upgrade. their. shit.

>What's the benefit of using W10?
You're receiving security patches constantly that fix exploits. 0-days get patched. You stay on top of shit.

If you don't do these things, you're another in the millions of targets that take zero-effort to compromise and steal all your shit, without you even having to download totally_not_a_virus.exe

>> No.56507657

>>56507645
>Something as stupid as a drive-by download or an exploit can get you anywhere
but this won't happen because i use adblock and noscript as well as https everywhere.

the only way i will get infected is if i whitelist a domain that later gets compromised, or i infect myself with deliberately downloaded infected files.

so again, what is the benefit of W10 if security is not in question?

>> No.56507681
File: 534 KB, 934x742, ad generator - microsoft.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507681

>>56507601
Games optimized for DX12.
Built-in workspaces.
WDDM 2.0
That's it. Rest is crap.

>> No.56507688
File: 31 KB, 620x465, 1473292708411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507688

>>56505872

Welcome back, dummy.

>>56506116

>you can't even buy it from their site

>> No.56507698

>>56507657
I'm not shilling for Windows 10, so I don't have a sales pitch for you. I run Linux on most of my computers, and Win10 on only a few. I'm telling you from the angle of common sense, which is security. If you seriously think browser plugins are enough defense for your outdated system then we can just part ways right now because the conversation isn't gonna lead anywhere.

Give this a read
https://decentsecurity.com/#/securing-your-computer/

>> No.56507706

>>56507698
>If you seriously think browser plugins are enough defense for your outdated system
They are. I've never been infected. Proof is I've never had any personal details stolen. Not my SSN, not my bank account information, not my password database, not my credit card numbers, etc.

>> No.56507720

>>56507706
>I've never been in a car accident, therefore I will never be in one, ever.
Nice logic there, anon.

>> No.56507725

what's the least painless way to install win7 on skylake?

i've been trying various utilities to autoslipstream the usb3.0 drivers but for whatever reason they keep crashing.

so i looked through my old hardware and found my ps/2 mouse/keyboard. going that route i'll have to find xhci drivers and install those manually after the win7 installs. usually those drivers are on the supplied motherboard support disc right?

>> No.56507732

>>56505777
Not just that, metro is literally an UI on top of a UI to make it extra safe and retard proof

>> No.56507741

>>56507720
it's more like
>Hah! You think airbags will protect you from death in a car accident? Think again! Make the move to [new model of car with spying features but "safer"] or jump ship to trains. Airbags are not good enough. Might as well not have any at all!

>> No.56507755
File: 1.78 MB, 420x420, 1472804038935.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507755

>>56506178

It's not a strawman if we were right. Why didn't you listen?

>>56506441

>Why would you want to stay on this operating system?

I'm on a laptop billed as a Windows 7 machine.

>I can understand that you may not like windows 10... but at least those alternatives still have room to improve, and may not be owned by incompetent companies that break their own software.

If W7 ends up broken, it won't be from "incompetence". That's why this thread is up—to protect Nanami Tan from her abusive father.

>> No.56507776

>>56507015
Why?

It boots up faster or something?

>> No.56507787

>>56507741
I tried. At least my conscience is clear.

Google "windows 7 vulnerabilities", "windows 7 exploits", "windows 7 whatever-you-want"

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-17153/hasexp-1/Microsoft-Windows-7.html

And now think about this: You're never gonna get those fixed. They are readily available for any attacker to use on you - targetted or untargetted as you are. And a browser isn't going to save you then.

You're only hurting yourself by staying on Win7. And when one day you or a loved one gets their shit stolen because you told them "Noooo dont install Win10 you'll get spied on by the NSA" you'll remember these posts.

>> No.56507858
File: 51 KB, 657x527, 1471191329849.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507858

>>56507787

What is antivirus, anon? Anon, what are backups and isos?

>> No.56507882
File: 2.73 MB, 540x360, how to clean your PC India style.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507882

>>56507720
>I've never been in a car accident, therefore I will never be in one, ever.
>ends up using an analogy because he can't refute the other faggot not getting riddle diddled by hackers

>> No.56507903

>>56507776
I'm not on a fucking laptop, I don't need hibernate. My power guzzling desktop doesn't care about the electricity bill, and it barely makes a dent in the house budget.

>> No.56507914

>>56507787
all of these that actually might matter require you to actively download a malicious executable or are patched by every major browser.

>linking me irrelevant exploits

>> No.56507920
File: 43 KB, 624x226, Screenshot from 2016-09-09 00-32-48.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507920

>>56507882
I cannot refute a fact. He has, indeed, not get his shit compromised yet. Keyword, yet. This is not an argument, he's stating a fact, so I have resorted to an analogy to tell him why this is no reason to feel secure.

>>56507858
>Antivirus
>Backups
>ISOs
>Protecting you against personal data theft or compromising your machine

Oh you sweet summer child

>> No.56507960
File: 87 KB, 409x409, 1473294567429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56507960

>>56507920
Antivirus is the silver that sounds in your peepee hole after funtime with Olympia.

Face it. You have no credible argument for why a responsible adult should leave this stable, sturdy OS.

>>56507914
this

>> No.56508004
File: 1.99 MB, 320x362, 1469142656715.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508004

>>56507903
Thank you

I was genuinely curious

>> No.56508019

>>56507914
>>56507960
I linked you a random list in the google search. I encouraged you to look for them yourself and then conduct this thought experiment.

When a project is dead and not getting any more updates (ie, Win 7), exploits don't stop coming. They keep getting found. You will keep getting 0-day'd. And one day, not even that's gonna get patched. They're not gonna bother supporting it.

If you're comfortable with this thought, then by all means, continue using Windows 7. If this gives you a bit of pause (and it should), then consider either migrating to Linux or Windows 10.

Using dead-end software just makes you a big, juicy, easy target for anyone out there. Using current updated software is the only safeguard against this. Snake-oil security, peace of mind in exclusively antiviruses and mere browser plugins (which are important by themselves, don't get me wrong) is ill advised.

Beware ye who continue down this road

>> No.56508041

>>56508019
The relevance is what the characteristic of extant exploits suggest for where the flaws in the security model are.

They are largely in quirks with how specific programs handle specific datatypes, and browser exploits.

The former are incredibly hard to run into for a competent user and the latter are actively patched by browser vendors.

>> No.56508044
File: 132 KB, 1862x816, 1471137600403.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508044

>>56508019

And so what exactly are you using as you are reading this?

>> No.56508088

>>56508041
You're already making the assumption the user is competent. You never make this assumption. People tend to overestimate their competence in security terms (as evidenced by the existence of this thread).

>> No.56508093

>>56508019
>then consider either migrating to Linux or Windows 10.
you haven't given me a good reason to migrate to windows 10 besides nebulous threats of 0 days in W7 that depend upon downloading malicious software.

if i could migrate to linux and use pcie passthrough i would, but my old processor doesn't support VT-d, so i can't.

W10 has no benefits for me, especially because my GPU is not DX12 capable, so i fail to see why I should do that.

>> No.56508120

Anyone know how to do a Icloud removal? I found a Ipad at school.

>> No.56508133

>>56508093
Because that's the most important one. I don't care about anything else as much. You plebs can argue about "the default UI looks better here" "oh it looks like crap here" "oh noes telemetric NSA" "oh but linux is so scary and weird" all you want, but at the end of the day, up-to-date, patched software is the foundation for your security.

If you don't care about being secure, then, like I said before, feel free to stay on Win7

>> No.56508134
File: 8 KB, 505x193, snap.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508134

haha
tell me when I can have windows 10 improved snapping on windows 7

>> No.56508156
File: 215 KB, 1366x768, 2016-09-08_21-20-16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508156

Here's my dessdop :^D

Moozic 4 me?

>> No.56508167

>>56505012
My product id key like rubbed off or melted now i cant read it. What do??

>> No.56508169

>>56508133
>If you don't care about being secure
i do care about my security. that's why i use noscript, ublock, https everywhere, a vpn, a FOSS password manager, etc.

your threats of 0-days that i will never run into unless i download and install not_a_virus.exe are irrelevant. your claims that blocking drive-by downloads and malvertising are not enough is irrelevant.

there is no good reason for me to install W10. there isn't even a good reason for me to update my W7 installation because the chances of me running into malware that exploits 0-days and not just being granted privileges is fucking minuscule.

>> No.56508197

>>56508169

You should try migrating to uMatrix + Cross Policy + Bluhell Firewall from NoScript, famm. Should be faster and more finegrained. HTTPS by Default has also been said to be faster than HTTPS Everywhere, because Everywhere loads from a database whereas By Default just uses SSL first, then goes to HTTP if it's not available. Combine it with HTTP Nowhere and you have some good defense. I used to use Ghostery and Web of Trust back in the day...

>> No.56508223

>>56508197
Whats wrong with Ghostery?

>> No.56508240

>>56508133

>If you don't care about being secure, then, like I said before, feel free to stay on Win7

>This literal retard thinks Windows 7 doesn't get any more security updates
>Think businesses will stand for the most used Operating System in the world to not get security improvements
>Think Microsoft will abandon their biggest moneymaker, enterprise software

Everyone point and laugh.

>> No.56508259

what is ricing?

>> No.56508280

>>56508259
When a big asian cock fucks a poor little white girl.

>> No.56508284

best torrent for a windows 7 install? need it to work good after running update a couple of times and then blocking updates forever because i want to avoid the relative i am installing it for to get w10

>> No.56508301

>>56508167

extract it from your registry before you do anything else to your current install

google "extract windows key registry" or some similar shit

>> No.56508307

>tfw got w10 license built in laptop
>tfw want to jump to w7 but don't want to lose my w10 license

>> No.56508308

>>56508240
>Support status
>Mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015.[6][7]
>Extended support ends on January 14, 2020.[6][7]

A few years now until that happens. Do you think XP still gets security updates despite being one of the most used OS's of all time? And Microsoft's share in selling OS's is long gone. They make their money through different means now.

>>56508169
I guess if you promise to be very very good and not do anything different with your computer as you do now, you'll be okay in your use case. You're heavily limiting yourself though. And you're playing that lottery with exploits. You keep thinking you're never going to be compromised. Remember you're using a family of OS's that once had an exploit found where your system would be rooted by clicking icons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxUps_8Y-g

>>56508284
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>INSTALLING PIRATED WINDOWS
AAAAAAAAAAA
Read the fourth paragraph. >>56507545

>> No.56508311
File: 231 KB, 1920x1080, Windows 7, #anime girls, #Madobe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508311

>>56508223

botnet

>>56508259
>>56505470

>> No.56508317

>>56508284
See the OP, has a downloader for official ISOs from Microsoft.

Install then crack with DazLoader.

>> No.56508328
File: 2.83 MB, 1280x720, Pajeet army.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508328

>>56507920
>I have resorted to an analogy to tell him why this is no reason to feel secure.
You resorted to an analogy because you can't think of any logical reason aside from the bogeyman "yet" as to why he hasn't been compromised after all these years.

I'm the same fucking way, I'm still on an Win7 SP1 install with no updates installed through windows updates. It's been fucking years since I first turned that shit off, and by off I mean the service is off.

>> No.56508339

>>56508308
i prefer my relative pc to be a zombie in a botnet than to be a zombie in ms botnet or be a constant stream of information to ms, windows 10 is cancer, even my normie relative wants it gone

>> No.56508340

>>56508308
Then after 2020 you go to 8.1

Not rocker science.

>>56508307
Windows 10 laptops have licence key built into the UEFI. So if you reinstalled Windows 10, it applies your key automagically.

>> No.56508342

>>56508308
There is a risk inherent with using any OS, anon. You're arbitrarily deciding one level of risk is acceptable while another is not.

We all make decisions that trade security/safety for convenience or whatever, every day.

Different strokes for different folks.

>> No.56508347

>>56508088
>You never make this assumption.
The user is competent when identified as not a normalfag redditor.

>> No.56508352

>>56508284
u r re tar did

july 29th was 6 weeks ago

>> No.56508359

>>56505450
God tier thread

>>56508133
You're a fucking retard if you didn't know that Windows 7 still gets updates.

>> No.56508361

>>56508307
>don't want to lose my w10 license

You won't. That specific computer is licensed 4evah in the microsoft borg array.

>> No.56508367

>>56508328
It's not a bogeyman to point out a sense of false security. There is such a thing as luck. If you have avoided being compromised, it's more due to luck than through effort from your part.

>> No.56508368
File: 1.73 MB, 965x666, preview of windows tiling.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508368

>>56508134
>improved snapping on windows 7
You asked for it.

>> No.56508370

>>56506489
Are there no other terminal emulators for windows?
sorry for the dumb question, i am just used to having a lot of choice for that on debian.

>> No.56508377

>>56508156
what is that background called

>> No.56508395

>>56508370
Powershell

>> No.56508410

>>56508223
Ghostery is crapware now.

>> No.56508413

>>56508359
Not for long. See >>56508308

>>56508339
You are free to make that decision for yourself, but to expose others to having their personal data stolen because they don't know any better is extremely irresponsible for you and you should feel bad about yourself.

>> No.56508419

>>56508395
Thats a shell and not a terminal emulator right? Is there really no 3rd.party terminal emulator for whatever shell?

>> No.56508427

>>56508339
>s-son what is this Windows 10 thing? Should I upgrade?
>NO MOM THE NSA IS GOING TO SPY ON YOU. KEEP USING THIS PIRATED WIN 7 SO ONLY THESE RUSSIAN HACKERS CAN SPY ON YOU.

>> No.56508439
File: 277 KB, 500x375, microsoft windows 95 exploit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508439

>>56508308
>Remember you're using a family of OS's that once had an exploit found where your system would be rooted by clicking icons.
Nah, that shit is baby tier. Now this is completely fucked.

>> No.56508458
File: 1.72 MB, 2304x3002, tabasco PC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508458

>>56508367
Then I've been consistently lucky since 1990. Feels good.

>> No.56508466

>>56508342
Except I'm suggesting two alternatives (any modern Linux distro or Windows 10) that are inherently less at risk from all angles, security-wise. I understand that you need to make your threat modeling, but when you're balancing three options and one of them is clearly lacking and you have to make serious compromises for it to be able to still stand up, then it's kind of a no brainer in my eyes.

>> No.56508499
File: 35 KB, 640x480, 1472592449277.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508499

>>56508311
Is still botnet if you disable Ghostrank?

>> No.56508505

>>56508413
>2020
By that time we'd all be dead from WW3 so who cares

>> No.56508511

>>56505779
Yes, no screenshots or camera data however.

>> No.56508567

>>56505788
>>56505779
>>56508511
>they only watch me when I pee, but at least not when I shower or masturbate!

>> No.56508581
File: 8 KB, 206x210, OhNo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508581

>>56508410
BUT HOW?

>> No.56508589

Why does my original windows 7 sp1 fresh install takes so much time to find updates?

I have to wait about 12 hours in the "checking for updates" process even with all my drivers installed on an I7 laptop with 8GB of ram, the same happens to every single one of my computers with similar specs.

This is some issue inherent in windows by the looks of it, Is Microsoft retarded?

>> No.56508591

>>56508505
>"lol who cares world will end in 2012"
>make poor decisions leading up to 2012
>world doesn't end
>oh...

>> No.56508595

>>56508427
or maybe this person had so many problems by being forced to upgrade to 10 because drivers weren't working and shit broke and software was automatically removed because "not w10 compatible" that they decided it was shit

>but to expose others to having their personal data stolen because they don't know any better

sounds literally what a sane person would say about installing w10

>>56508427
>>56508413
ms being nsa buddy is proved, le meme russian hackers wants to spy you isn't, good god i had no idea that ms "fans" in the same way of apple fans even existed, what has g become

>> No.56508615

>>56508595
I don't even use Windows. But between Win7 and Win10, Win10 is the lesser of two evils FOR CAPABLE HARDWARE.

If your hardware isn't capable, they'd be much better off using Linux. Hell, everyone would be better off using Linux, but your hardware not being compatible with Win10 is a hell of a great excuse to migrate.

If my grandparents could be taught how to easily use their computers for all the things they used them for under Windows on Ubuntu or Debian, you (and your relatives) sure as hell can.

>> No.56508618

>>56508589
See
>>56505059

>> No.56508627

>>56505012
>the best modern Microsoft Operating System
>best
>modern
Windows 8.1 was here, you guys are actually delusional.

>> No.56508630

>>56508595
if you're going to go botnet anyway using Windows, there's no point in just the tip. You might as well go all the way since you're already in there.

>> No.56508634

>>56508615
nigga i don't even use windows, and no, windows 10 is not the lesser of two evils, i've seen the fucking privacy tab, i have seen enough

>> No.56508636

What's the exact date that Win10 becomes forced on skymemes?

>> No.56508652
File: 294 KB, 480x454, 1472880359228.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508652

>>56508377

I just lost my unsaved theme trying to figure out where the image file was... I dont have it right now. I am doing my damndest to find a solution.

>> No.56508663

>tfw buying an asus k501u laptop for working and casual gaming
>fucking win 10 pre installed
>win 10 drivers only
>hope that after installing win 7 drivers work somehow
>try with all my might to install win 7
>A required CD/DVD driver is missing error.jpg
>format the HDD and spend a couple of days trying to fight destiny with no results
>give up on my humanity
>end up installing win 10 enterprise LGBT
>finally clean install of everything
>somehow I forgot win 8.1 existed and it never crossed my mind to try installing it
>I wanna die from mental exhaustion

>> No.56508666

>>56508618
Thanks, I'll have a look at it, this shit has been driving me nuts, once I had to wait 2 days to get a list of possible updates on a freshly installed windows 7 VM.

How the fuck does Microsoft manage to fuck up this badly? Even my Cebuano Linux install takes about 20 minutes to upgrade a whole system including download time.

>> No.56508695

>>56508589
Install KB3102810 before anything else
Took "only" two hours to fully update a fresh W7 install just two days ago.

>> No.56508701

>>56508663
Installing from a USB drive?

You probably need the USB 3.0 drivers, m8. Download them from the manufacturer's website and put them in an accessible drive while installing. Sometimes you have to choose the driver manually from the list of 'incompatible devices', because windows is pure, unadulterated shit.

>> No.56508704

>>56508663
it didn't work because W8+ uses GPT and W7 uses MBR. you'd have to do partition fuckery to get it to install, and the W7 drivers likely won't work.

>> No.56508735

>>56507645
>>56507681
My experience with Windows 10 has been nothing but fucking annoyance. I don't care about DX12 games and the virtual workspaces are shit because you can't choose how to control them like in a window manager because MS wanted to keep plebs from accidentally touching them.

Instead of actually making things better, Microsoft is flooding the standard setup with useless garbage that you can't really get rid off because they don't care about you if you aren't buying their shitty Surface tablets. Cortana can no longer be fully disabled, the everything-is-a-console Xbox software fucks with all of your games until you disable it and the "Game Bar" in the registry, and IIRC, they removed the ability to disable cancer like the "consumer experience" that automatically downloads more Metro shit and even FUCKING ADS onto your machine. How long until all of the cancer is mandatory, like the spying? How long until there is so much pointless nonsense running in the background that can't be killed that it actually starts impacting performance? The only way you can get around any of this is by upgrading to Enterprise edition, and god knows how you're supposed to even buy it if you aren't a business.

If they want to change the default user experience into tablet cancer, fine, projects like Classic Start Menu exist for a reason, but this shit is inexcusable. Even Apple is more respectful of your wishes than this.

Literally the ONE reason I use Windows is because I need software that happens to run on it, and Windows 7 will still receive security updates until 2020. I don't like 7 as much as I really, really don't like what came after it, so it seems like a sane choice to me. Even if you had a decent machine for the time, Vista was unusable before the last few Service Packs too.

>> No.56508742

>>56507645
>You're receiving security patches constantly that fix exploits. 0-days get patched. You stay on top of shit.
its the same for win7

>> No.56508753

>>56508704
>W7 uses MBR

SHIFT+F10
diskpart
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
exit

>> No.56508754 [DELETED] 
File: 612 KB, 1280x1024, motherboard_2-wallpaper-1280x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508754

>>56508377

Here you go, anon. I just google imaged 'blue motherboard wallpaper' and it was literally the first result. Halleluah.

... you got music though?

>> No.56508758

>>56508753
won't boot

>> No.56508783

>>56508742
what's funny is that you know this and the shill doesn't, is he a liar or just stupid?

>> No.56508785

>>56508701
I lurked enough and tried since the laptop has a couple of 2.0 USB ports

>>56508704
>it didn't work because W8+ uses GPT and W7 uses MBR
I also tried converting the partition to MBR with no results, someday I'll try installing win 8.1

>>56508735
I have the LGBT enteryourprice version and shit's pretty light, still shit but no cortana or ads bullshit.

>> No.56508798

>>56508758
Enable UEFI with CSM in your UEFI.

>> No.56508848

>>56508798
Already tried with and without UEFI, thanks anyways m8.

>> No.56508851

>>56507058
>netplwiz
Or "control userpasswords2"

>> No.56508886
File: 354 KB, 1920x1080, motherboard-intel-processor-computer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56508886

>>56508377
>>56508652

I found it. It's an Intel motherboard. If you Google Image it, 'blue motherboard wallpaper', you could find it.

I'm not sure pic related is the resolution I had, but it's the same picture. I found a darker blue one as well that I think I'll be using instead from now on.

But do you have any music for me?

>> No.56508900

>>56508742
>>56508783
you guys really don't read the thread do you
he pointed it out here
>>56508308
a linux user shilling windows 10 doesn't sound very much like a shill to me

>> No.56508914

>>56508785
>I have the LGBT enteryourprice version and shit's pretty light, still shit but no cortana or ads bullshit.
I have no idea what you are referring to. Call me a pleb but this is not the kind of shit I try to stay current on.

>> No.56509012
File: 86 KB, 388x849, startmenu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56509012

>>56508914
the win 10 enterprise LTSB is the lightest and "less" spybot of all, it doesn't have shitty tablet tier apps or cortana as I said, oh and you supposedly can turn off the telemetry bullshit too (so far it is still off for me), you should avoid any win 10 anyways.

Here's my start menu, pretty clean and simple.

>> No.56509052

>>56508589

http://pastebin.com/quC0gz4j

>> No.56509074

>>56505450
this post should be sticked for future reference, thabks anon

>> No.56509124

>>56507545
No, Pajeet . Im not going to buy Windows 10.

>> No.56509125
File: 466 KB, 1680x1050, 12r2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56509125

>not using glorious 2012 r2 as desktop-os

>> No.56509192

>>56509125
>.gif screenshot
Why would you use anything other than png for this?

>> No.56509220

>>56509192
because i like my 0.2 second upload time while managing 300 hyperv + failover clustering without reconfiguring or adding to my server roles. so fuck you, nigger!

>> No.56509315

>>56509220
You could have just dithered it you lazy fuck. Only need to pipe it through imagemagick.

>> No.56509410
File: 451 KB, 1680x1050, 2012r2png.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56509410

>>56509315
Happy Nigger?

>> No.56509419

>>56509125
I like my good looking DE, no thanks.

>> No.56509434

>>56509410

Now it's ugly in hi-definition. Take a visit to Personalization sometime.

>> No.56509468

>>56509419
>>56509434
i would add the 'winclassic' ui, but i just don't care... ever since i deployed 2012 r2 i have had 0 issues -- it does what i want + some. such a solid, solid os.

>> No.56509479

What exactly do you guys mean by botnet on windows 8 and up

Is it just a meme term for MS spying on you?

>> No.56509520

>>56509479
No. Windows 7+ there are certain services that 'phone home' big implementation of this is CEP, UserExp. and Telemetry. Look 'em up.

>> No.56509537

>>56509410
Way better and easier on the power.
And smaller.

>> No.56509541
File: 39 KB, 1030x672, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56509541

>>56509520

thank you based anon

i wonder what they have already

>> No.56509576

>>56509541
you are welcome [this is the the 2012r2fag btw]

you have 2 options:

a. there are many 3rd party tools that block/remove the services + add blacklists to the hosts block as well. the safer networking company that developed spybot search and destroy has a program called spybot anti beacon you can check that out -- it is straightforward and easier than option b...

b. manually configure your windows 7+ system via gpedit, adding to registry, stopping or removing the services altogether.

oh and if you want to upgrade to windows 10 there is a scripkiddy group called sasneteu which release a barebones version of win10 with most of the spying shite removed from the os.

>> No.56509613
File: 86 KB, 741x818, gggg3333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56509613

>>56505450
>Get Windows 7 for free
>free

>> No.56509623

>>56509576

Exactly how necessary is all this shit anyway....

Is it bad that i've been googling shit like 'The Shadow Brokers'

>> No.56509684

>>56509623
The anti-beacon program is fuck all as easy to use as pouring water in a glass cup.

Far as being paranoid about your browsing history the government already knows and keeps tabs on everyone lookup ECHELON and carnivore. Now, does having and allowing CEP, UserExp. and Telemetry make life easier for MS and their 3rd party friends to collect more accurate analytical data on you? Yes.

TLDR might of well use the anti-beacon to ensure those spy methods are disabled -- just for the sheer principal. Would you have to go to greater lengths to make yourself 100% anonymous on the internet? Yes.

>> No.56509749

>>56509684

Thanks anon. I mean it.

>> No.56509835

>>56509613
lel

>> No.56509890

>>56507058
heh, somebody posted my webm

>> No.56510626

I approve of this thread
It's time to go back (to Win7)
Vote Trump
t. Aussie

>> No.56510707

>>56510626
What?

>> No.56511078
File: 1.28 MB, 4096x2304, P_20160901_221854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56511078

Win7 is love.

>> No.56511181

>>56505012
what are those KB's to speed up the update process on a clean install?

>> No.56511406

>>56508368
Okay, can anyone tell me what's this sorcery?
Looks like any modern WM with windows theme though...

>> No.56511463

>>56505899
free software feminists*

>> No.56511531
File: 5 KB, 330x184, 1454830369119.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56511531

>>56505012
>modern

>> No.56511557
File: 34 KB, 1184x266, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56511557

>> No.56511715
File: 105 KB, 537x402, installation-error.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56511715

Familias, I tried installing Windows 7 on my laptop and got this

I tried everything, all usb ports, nothing works

wat do?

>> No.56511736

>>56511715
Redo usb. Something borked making it.

>> No.56511744

>>56511736
tried that too

>> No.56511760

Does anyone here know any modded windows 7 editions besides tiny7?

I like Tiny7, just wondering if there are any others.

>> No.56511775

>>56511760
omg i need this

>> No.56511781

>>56511715
Might have the fuse the usb 3.0 drivers into the iso:
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125921-how-to-add-drivers-manually-to-a-usb-drive-to-install-windows-7-using-a-usb-3-0-port

>> No.56511807

>>56511781
thanks fa m, this is probably what I needed

>> No.56511852

>>56505012
>Using Ninite instead of Chocolatey.
What are you, gay?

>> No.56512042

>>56511807
Ye, already had to do it twice with two different laptops. In all the cases they only had USB 3.0 ports. Didn't matter what kind of USB stick I used.
If that one guide is not clear, just google it. There are lots of different kinds but they all do more or less the same thing.

>> No.56512084
File: 58 KB, 640x350, NoBotnet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56512084

>>56506932
FTFY

>> No.56512168

>>56508886
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZXID1tPXs

>> No.56512217
File: 111 KB, 1366x768, MyWindows10.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56512217

>>56507545
This guy knows what's up
>>56509012
The W10 start menu is disgusting

>> No.56512422

>>56512042
Just to be clear fa m, I put the .exe driver file in the USB folder?

>> No.56512425

>>56512217
My dick is up

>> No.56512445

>>56507545
Fuck off Rajesh

>> No.56512456

>>56507545
Fuck off

>> No.56512477

>>56505142
Paid one? I think Kaspersky

>> No.56512506

>>56512445
>>56512456
>Rajesh
>Advicing you to go to Linux

These are kind of mutually exclusive, geniuses

>> No.56512565

>>56512422
Yeah. I usually got it from the Intel website since their usb controllers were used in the laptops. So I just downloaded the USB 3 driver from the intel or the laptops manufacturer website. Was either an .exe or .zip file.

>> No.56512656

>>56512506
Fuck off

>> No.56512674

>>56505012
>modern OS
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.56512689

>>56512656
L-leave me alone I wanna think my OS is still acceptable

>> No.56512738

How does it feel to be luddites?

>> No.56513290

>>56507545
>Your operating system will soon be out of support and will receive no more security updates
In 4 years. HOPEFULLY, W10 exits the alpha stage in that time and becomes a usable, stable OS
>Win7 has vulnerabilities up the ass.
This is almost never relevant unless you download some shady shit from shady websites
>pirated Windows 7 copy
It's an official ISO from MS activated with Daz Loader which is apparently open source, and Daz himself has a long history and reputation on MDL

TLDR: Kill yourself

>> No.56513404

>>56513290
m8, if you want to delude yourself into a sense of security you're completely entitled to do so. You're just gonna look like a retard to anyone in infosec and a juicy target for anyone to attack.

At least you're not using a compromised ISO, so you're only half retarded. You're not even clear if Daz's loader is open source code. And if everyone relies on word of mouth and no one ever audits it, it makes no difference. You're trusting this guy with your ballsack.

>> No.56513453

>>56513404
Fuck off

>> No.56513479

>>56513453
>PLEASE DON'T DISAGREE WITH MEEEE

>> No.56513755

>>56513479
Fuck off

>> No.56513770
File: 301 KB, 1920x1080, 1472768463231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56513770

>>56513755

>> No.56513877

>>56513404
>You're just gonna look like a retard to anyone in infosec
ok?
>and a juicy target for anyone to attack
Who would specifically target me to attack? There are millions of normies who have no idea how to take care of their computers, they are the only ones getting attacked. As long as I know what I'm doing and receive security updates (again, for FOUR MORE YEARS), I'll be fine
>You're not even clear if Daz's loader is open source code
People have been using it for at least 5 years now and I haven't seen any complaints. If it's malware then it's a really fucking good one

>> No.56513954
File: 19 KB, 460x406, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56513954

get some logic retards

>> No.56514128

>>56513954
>not LSTB N
enjoy your botnet

>> No.56514436

>>56513954
Yeah, we use the OS that actually Lets us disable tracking lmao

>> No.56514485

>>56514436
>>56514128
>He thinks he's safe on any Windows
How cute.

>> No.56514511

>>56509012
How do you have that start menu? i have LTSb and Enterprise and still no update. menu is normal

>> No.56514559

>>56513954
This one is full of bugs because of the missing apps that they didn't properly remove, but just ripped them out
>>56514128
This one cant even play some in-game cutscenes and videos because of no media player, and some people report that even with it installed, still doesnt work
Both of them are not going to get "feature upgrades" that are unfortunately necessary with the beta nature of W10. Just use Pro or Enterprise and disable all the bullshit or go back to 7

>> No.56514619

>>56514485
i actually use hardened debian sid, i just like to shitpost in windows threads sometimes, and besides, lstb n is an improvement over lstb.
>>56514559
just install mpv senpai. Enterprise or go.home, pro is shite.

>> No.56514674

>>56508340
Windows 7 support is only extended because companies. I don't think many companies converted to 8.1

>> No.56514717

>>56514619
Oh hey, Debian Sid user here too. What are some good resources to read up on hardening that you've found? I've got the easy google-able ones but maybe you found something else to read on

>> No.56514751

>>56514717
The ones in the debian documentation and on the wiki mostly. also the debian administrators handbook and the of course the gentoo wiki. it's not exactly rocket science.

>> No.56514775

>>56514751
>not saying "it's not exactly rocket surgery"
Thank you though

>> No.56515073

>>56505012
I prefer performance so Win 7 is out. 8.1/10 has better performance. Just a fact.

>> No.56515187

>>56515073
No it isn't.

>> No.56515301

I don't care about security since i will dual boot and i have CS2017 installed. Which updates should i install / evade if i want a fast as fuck W7?

I used to install almost all the updates but the boot time got longer over time.

>> No.56515306
File: 372 KB, 799x1044, 1439546911714_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56515306

>>56515073
moron

>> No.56515325

>>56514511
Just grabbed the gen2 torrent and it came like that.

>> No.56515469

>>56506932
Is 8.1 faster than 7?, which one is better for muh games, software compatibility and overall speed?

>> No.56515497

>>56515469
8 boots faster. No difference otherwise. Only game that worked for on 7 than 8 was Dragon Age 2 in DX11 mode

>> No.56515509

>>56515497
>Only game that worked for on 7 than 8
Sorry, drunk. I meant to say "better in 8 than 7"

>> No.56515715

>>56515301
>Which updates should i install / evade if i want a fast as fuck W7?
Don't install any, SP1 is fine out of the box. If you play games, the games themselves will grab the required distribution or direct you straight to the MS page.

>> No.56515861

>>56505012
that ninite thing looks interesting, nice finding

>> No.56515919

>>56515306
>one year old
Why the fuck are you still posting here? Nobody has seen your nudes. Stop trying to get attention for being a femanon if you're not going to post pictures of your fucking tits and vagina.

Of course a retarded-ass woman who thinks she knows the slightest thing about computers would recommend Windows 7 right away.

>> No.56515990

>>56515919
Topkek sperglord

>> No.56516075

>>56515861
ninite is repackaged portable software with a botnet thrown in
the only thing it's good for are the names of the software they're repackaging, just find the original source

>> No.56516114

>>56516075
I already have all of them, I'm using it when installing windows for other people, so it's not a problem

>> No.56516189
File: 100 KB, 1264x1210, 1472002443272.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56516189

Is this the necessary step when using the ISO off windows?

>> No.56516213
File: 135 KB, 375x375, 1456675813080.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56516213

>>56516075
>attempt to locate original sources
>sourceforge
>botnetted regardless of preference.

Winfags never WIN.

>> No.56516216

>>56516189
Fuck me if know. I always use Wsus Offline

>> No.56516220

>>56516075
how is ninite botnet

>> No.56516302

>>56508197
Is Bluhell Firewall better than uBlock origin?

>> No.56516490
File: 13 KB, 406x468, justfuckmyshitup.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56516490

Pic related a service in the Anniversary Update of W10. They consider this release quality now.

No that's not a bug due to user fuck up or a botched upgrade it's this way on every AU W10 PCs I've seen, even clean installs.

The update also added default Inbound and even Outbound Firewall rules for Cortana and all their shitty apps as well as telemetry. But what they didn't add was rules for WINDOWS UPDATE. Adding an outbound rule for the Windows Update service has been broken since W8.1

This shit really makes me want to take the plunge and go back to 7 until Microsoft finishes this damn OS.

>> No.56516572

>>56516216
What's the advantage of using Wsus Offline? Does it automatically skip telemetry updates?

>> No.56516628

>>56505142
Nod32 by a long shot.

>> No.56517034

does anyone have that page that lets you download all different versions of win7?
the interface is basically inexistent, it looks like a txt. document online

>> No.56517092

>>56517034
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

This?

>> No.56517152

>>56517034
Read the OP.

>> No.56517154

>>56517092
yes thanks

if I can't boot it properly, will I be able to keep my files if I choose to install a different win 7 version? because i really can't remember which one I had

>> No.56517230

>>56506489
>Right click => paste
wow, fucking hard

>> No.56517475
File: 204 KB, 1024x600, 2016-09-05_18-31-30.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56517475

is it safe to jump ship to 8.1 on my netbook or should I stay on 7?

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/Eee_PC_1000HA/

>> No.56517538

>>56517475
I can't say for everyone but 7 seems most stable of them all. Tried 8.1 but it feels far too unstable compared to 7 and 10 while it feels nicer on some fronts, reading about the company now makes me regret ever trying it.

>> No.56517573

>>56517538

what fronts are those from your view or how you see it or feel about it?

>> No.56517688
File: 110 KB, 1920x1200, logon-background-about-question-general-quick-dark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56517688

>launch repair or start normally
>whatever i choose it leads to the same outcome
>first it says "windows is loading files" as I've chosen to go into safe mode, then it shows this screen with the mouse icon and noticeably lower resolution indicative of the safe mode and doesn't move further

what do

>> No.56517715

>>56517475
that thing should be running xp.
at insanely fast speed

not meme. it will work even better

>> No.56517886
File: 35 KB, 300x250, gentoo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56517886

>>56517688

>> No.56517972

>>56517715

no thanks

>> No.56518153

>>56517972
i made a super lite version of win7 ultimate 32 bit sp1 if you want i can add all the new updates and security patches and upload and send you the link...

the main advantages are that i uses 0.9 percent of virtual memory and 95% never take more than 20% cpu utilization most services for enterprises purposes are removed though basically it is a version of ultimate designed for notepads/older hardware

>> No.56518393

>>56516628
kek.

all cibercafe and schools have nod or avast and they are fucking full of virus and shit

just install chink total 360 + bitdefender engine

and free malwarebytes to run it one in a while and you will be ok

>> No.56518400

>>56516189

>update that adds south sudan to the list of countries
>text in some core fonts appears blurred
>update to support the new currency symbol for the russian ruble

>all of these apparently add spyware features to your OS

Why even install updates anymore?

>> No.56518489

>>56516572
The advantage is you can store the updates on a flash drive and just update the system offline every time you want to update another PC or another fresh install of Windows. This saves time and requires no Internet.

>> No.56518682
File: 18 KB, 400x289, 1458667175197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56518682

>>56512217
>the amount of things and icons
no

>> No.56518711

>>56509012
How do I even get this shit?

>> No.56518728

>>56515497
because of stupid hybrid shutdown which is actually hibernation. Usually people go through hoops to disable that shit.

>> No.56518855

>>56518682
I cleaned it up a little4u.

>> No.56518872
File: 81 KB, 1366x768, better.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56518872

>>56518682
>>56518855
shit

>> No.56518981

Just to say that Halite is the best bittorrent client I've used. Light, simple, open source, written in C++, using libtorrent and boost librairies, its perfect. My life is complete

>> No.56519034

>>56516302
I've never used uBlock Origin. I tried it out on IceCat 38.8, but for some reason, the icons for it never showed up; I found the interface overly complex, perhaps due to the fact that it was mostly iconized and I couldn't see shit.

I hear that uBlock gives you lots of control over what you're blocking; Bluhell Firewall is an incredibly tiny and non-resource-intensive addon that has a database already built into it. I've never seen ads while using it, and it even blocks sketchy sites (bad certificates mostly, but I'd imagine also known problems) that I try to visit.

There's no reason you couldn't use both, in fact. But those are the differences between them: Bluhell has 0 configuration, uBlock is complicated.

>> No.56519134

>>56517154

You should be backing those files up anyway. If you used a laptop with W7 preinstalled, it might've been home edition; this can be checked by looking up the laptop specs, I would think.

>>56517688
I don't know. Need help looking it up?

>> No.56519451

>>56519134
i have no clue what to even look up because i can't describe it and whatever I type in different inquiries come up

i can tell it goes to safe mode every time but it just stops there at the start up screen

>> No.56520712

>>56507545
>If you're staying on Windows you might as well upgrade to Win10

There is no reason to until security support runs out.

>> No.56521068

I'm on the edge of "down"grading to 7 from 10, but my computer had 8.1 preinstalled. Should I be worried or just go for it?

>> No.56521170
File: 110 KB, 1000x800, 1472980073011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56521170

>>56521068
worried about what, idiot? at least post your damn computer's specifications...

>> No.56521198

>>56520027

anyone know this w7 theme? how can I rice my w7 to look like this?

>> No.56521220

>>56505012
Daily reminder that all telemetry and spying in Windows 10 has been backported to Windows 7.

>> No.56521290

>>56521068
ALL of your drivers wont work so dont bother making backups or grabbing them from your manufacturers site, youll have to look for them yourself.

W 8/8.1 to 10 and 10 to 8/8.1 works fine but downgrading from any of those two to 7 is hell, i tried on my acer laptop and after a week of trying to get it to work i just shoved 4 more gigs of ram and put fedora on it.

8.1 with classic shell or launchy works pretty well though, but fuck downloading yet another iso, debloating it and all that.

>> No.56521528

Windows 10 is a sufficiently shit OS that I wouldn't upgrade to it even if it had /less/ telemetry than Windows 7.

>> No.56522087

>>56516302
>Is Bluhell Firewall better than uBlock origin?

lol no you dumb faggot

>> No.56522112

>>56508589
>Why does my original windows 7 sp1 fresh install takes so much time to find updates?

Because you need to patch the buggy updater first.

>> No.56522413

>>56512217

The most retarded layout I've seen yet.

Do you wipe your ass standing up simply because it's not mainstream?

>> No.56522589

So let me get this right. A fresh SP1 install of W7 will never update properly?

>> No.56522679

>>56522589
>A fresh SP1 install of W7 will never update properly?

Unless you patch it manually, the bugged updater will not find updates for you.

You have to manually patch SP1 and then it will find updates just fine.

See more here: https://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

>> No.56522737

i've never done this manual patch and my updater works fine.

>> No.56523073

>>56522737
This only applies to people who just installed a copy of the SP1 iso.

>> No.56523198

Win10 is shit and you would have to be a fool to pay for it if you had a working 7 copy. Bottom line.

>> No.56523647

>>56522413
What's your layout?

>> No.56523898

>>56519034
Aren't you confusing ublock with umatrix?

>> No.56524004

>>56521198
That anime girl looks like sakura miku, try searching for stuff related

>> No.56524137

>>56512217
how do you did this

>> No.56524194

>>56519034
uBlock setup amounts to clicking the install addon button and then possibly clicking a confirmation button.

I'm not sure what you did to make it complicated?

>> No.56524533

>>56523198
What if I got it for free? :^)

>> No.56524561

disable GWX.exe


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001


Disable auto-os upgrade

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

>> No.56524571
File: 22 KB, 209x119, EP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56524571

>>56518872
>shit
yep

>> No.56524830

>>56518872
20% or more of your screen is occupied by the 4 toolbars you have open. And given that you're on a teensy laptop, screen real estate isn't exactly cheap.

If it doesn't bother you, by all means keep your computer setup how it is. And I mean this seriously, there's no point breaking something you're happy with.

But if I were you I would consolidate my browser down to 2 toolbars (in my case I only have 1, but that's a bit more involved) and set your taskbar to either half that width or put it on the left (possibly set to autohide) since it makes more sense to give up your biggest screen dimension, width, than your smallest one, height.

>> No.56524991

>>56521198
Ah haha yeah, i know it. I used it for some time

>> No.56525627
File: 83 KB, 1366x768, better.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56525627

>>56524137
Classic Shell for the start menu
Git bash to download/run screenfetch
The theme "FT DeepDark" to make Firefox black

>>56524830
Yeah, if I really need space, I can go fullscreen. I also snap windows in two halves pretty often. I've tried hiding the taskbar before and I prefer having a view of all currently opened apps and the clock at a glance.

Also I removed some unnecessary tray icons and made my start menu buttons larger.

>> No.56526357
File: 2.16 MB, 1630x2210, Toybox_for_Windows7_preview_by_Cappippuni.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56526357

>>56521198
That's the toybox theme.

>> No.56526455
File: 538 KB, 531x767, 1437017295222.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
56526455

Im probably in the wrong neighborhood, but whatever.

So I'm thinking about switching to 10 because 10 has all these bells and whistles like DirectX 12, multiple monitor for one monitor and higher performance for gayman.

However, I already have 7 and I love it... but I want to also have those perfomance increases as well as DirectX 12. This is going to be a fucking retarded question buuut.... Is there a way to keep Win 10 as Win 7 as possible?

>> No.56526488

>>56511715

Your installer isn't seeing your internal hard drive, either don't use a USB3.0 port or check that your hard drive is still functioning with a Linux live CD

>> No.56526507

>>56526455
>performance increases

Those are a fucking myth. You'll lose maybe 1-5% globally on everything but startup.

As someone who switched from W7 to 10 trust me when I say this OS is an unfinished piece of shit. Stay away until that DX12 exclusive you can't ignore.

>> No.56526547

>>56526455

In every experience I've had with people's machines after being upgraded to 10

>The machine is too old but was pushed to 10 anyway now there's no drivers

>Windows 10 is always doing something in the background for the first 10 minutes after bootup

>Software for your laptop/desktop specifically such as ASUS AI suit, HP software, etc will no longer work or install seeing Windows 10 as a incompatible operating system, compatibility mode does not resolve the issue.

>> No.56526605

>>56505012
I'm seriously considering windows 10 since newer CPUs will only work 100% with 10 potentially I guess I should wait for Zen, but I'd imagine this is going to be like ripping off a band aid

>> No.56526637

Download 7SP1 iso
Download Wsus offline installer
Download SDI
Download IE11 offline installer

Install 7 under UEFI for GPT support
Install drivers with SDI
Install IE 11 offline
Install Updates with WSUS auto reboot

Walk away

Come back install essentials with Ninite

Lather rinse repeat

Ive done this on 30+ refurbished machines for my Jew boss that wont buy new computers

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action