Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 126 KB, 835x960, 10624655_410795119068922_8374743662707689322_n[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45125272 No.45125272 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Why do you Linux?

>> No.45125310

1. Because it is free

2. Because I can put my faith behind millions of coders and hackers on the internet rather than one company in the united states who can be manipulated by the government

3. Package managers

4. Incredibly hackable

5. Fun to fuck around with

6. To be a hipster (lets not lie to ourselves this is why we do it. It makes our loins feel moist that we are part of an obscure group).

7. Because just by learning linux I am on the path to being a sysadmin and eventually makes lots of money to make sure servers dont' fuck up

8. Because I am addicted to distro hopping

9. Becuase I hate now I can't customize certain things in windows

10. Because I have used windows for so long that it is boring to me to only have ONE option.

>> No.45125319

>>45125272
freedom

everything else is mostly secondary.

>> No.45125339

>>45125310
>>boring me to only have one option

Then you aren't using linux either

>> No.45125349

>>45125272
LSD, mostly

>> No.45125352

1. Free
2. Instant updates/fixes
3. Werks better than Windows
4. Modify it if you want eq (if you dont like DE then just switch it, no need be stuck like Windows users)
5. Enjoy easy and instant installations with package manager
6. Easier management for servers
7. Better made the rights system, no need be root to get printer working like in Windows you need install drivers.

>> No.45125356

Because it doesn't choke my eee PC unlike the winbloats. Also, the package managers are neat.

>> No.45125357

>>45125272
Because it just werks. Everytime I tried using Windows I ran into a crapload of retarded issues and just couldn't be bothered with it.

>> No.45125367

Because it's the best OS for old Thinkpads.

>> No.45125373

>>45125310
>linux
>obscure

Maybe to the unwashed masses, but linux is pretty much the standard if you're going to do anything for any company that isn't ran by people over the age of 50.

There's a shit tonne of people that use linux professionally day in and day out, and even more that use it without even knowing. Even without having it on your desktop you're using it. Evertime you google something, buy something at the store, fly on a plane, stop at a stop light, turn on your lights, use your fucking toaster, you're using linux

/autism

>> No.45125383

>>45125357
What was your first windows edition?

>> No.45125401

>>45125373
They way you say it i fucking envy the linux devs, they must be helluva rich.

Oh wait we wanted it free for ourselves..... Eh... Wtf

>> No.45125407

>>45125383
I tried XP, Vista, and 7 when they came out. Didn't even bother with 8.

>> No.45125413

eXtreme customization
don't have to mess with legal or illegal activation
despite a bucket of problems, it just feels good man

>> No.45125416

>free
>package manager
>fantastically easy to set up for novice programming
>better trackpad support than Windows
>near-universal support
>fairly secure (in theory)
Shame about the missing games and proprietary software

>> No.45125432

Trying to Ruby on Windows is (or maybe only was?) abysmal. And my Macbook Pro melted.

>> No.45125436

>>45125407
W2k is reliable, also 8

>> No.45125448

>>45125401
If linux was closed source and non-free it wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as it is.

e.g startups

You can get some cheap hosting, slap a few linux vms in there, push your code and be up and running

Try that with windows with all the licencing and shit.

>> No.45125463

I only use it for my little home server. I use Windows 7 on my workstation because I need to be able to run certain software which is Windows only.

Anyway...

>free as in beer
>fairly small, no annoying extraneous bullshit loaded on it to start off with
>low system hardware requirements
>more control over what gets put on the system
>easy and fast for me to set up and use

>> No.45125468

I'm going to be studying CSE and they use Linux often so I downloaded Ubuntu to get used to it. And it's just good to be able to work in different environments if you're going to be a developer. I'm trying to avoid becoming a code monkey who only knows how to do one language in one IDE.

>> No.45125503
File: 404 KB, 960x717, 1414042558482.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45125503

>>45125463
>system hardware requirements
>an issue in 2014

>> No.45125514

>>45125310
>one company in the united states who can be manipulated by the government

When in the history of Capitalism has the US Government manipulated a corporation? Why would the Government want to manipulate corporations anyway? If anything corporations are manipulating the Government.

(INB4 Government regulation)
(INB4 Nazis)

>> No.45125517

>>45125503
If you're using an old piece of shit as your home server, it is an issue.

>> No.45125525

Daily reminder: it's pronounced "lee-nooks" as in "ski" and "looks"

Saying "lie-nocks" is absolutely harmful

>> No.45125526

Michael from The Office said this once...

"Wikipedia - it's the one place where anyone anywhere on the planet can go and write about anything they want on a subject - so you KNOW it's accurate."

>Open Source
it's kinda like that

>> No.45125527

>>45125272
Because you learn a lot, it's faster and safer and you can mod it to what meets your needs and liking, and it's useful to know how to use the OS well in the industry.

>> No.45125532

>>45125514
>When in the history of Capitalism has the US Government manipulated a corporation?
PRISM

>> No.45125544

>>45125525
I don't think anyone says lie-nocks.

>> No.45125552

>>45125526
OK. Go submit a pull request for some random ass code for the Linux kernel. See what reponse you get.

>> No.45125558

I tried it for a few days then quit after I failed to get my audio working.

>> No.45125566

I'm autistic.

>> No.45125576

>>45125552
This.

People often forget that the project manager/management team still has ultimate power, even in an open-source project. Linus runs the Linux project essentially like a benevolent dictatorship.

>> No.45125600

>>45125525
>implying it isn't lyn-ucks, as in Finn and Fucks
>because the Finn who made it doesn't give two fucks about how other people pronounce it

>> No.45125618

>>45125600
>because the Finn who made it doesn't give two fucks about how other people pronounce it

You're going to feel pretty dumb in 15 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAEsoKiZTvk

>> No.45125672

Because I want to be a sysadmin and since Linux has a bit of a harder learning curve than Windows Server, what with all the terminal commands and all, I want to learn about it more intimately.

After all, corporate servers are more likely to run Linux than Windows Server because of security.

What should I learn after Debian? For servers.

>> No.45125692

>>45125672
Probably RHEL, FreeBSD and SUSE. Those are the most common Unix-like systems in enterprise environments.

>> No.45125698

>>45125618
Hey, he pronounces it the way I do. Although I the only other pronouncing I've heard is Richard Stallman's weird "lin-UCKS."

>> No.45125731

I don't have to ask OS for permission to use MY hw.

>> No.45125733

>>45125272
Sorry to steal your thread,
Can I reformulate the question?
"why do you Linux if you dont use it professionaly?"

>> No.45125738

>>45125514
it depends how you define US Government
if you define it as "white house" or "executive branch" probably never

if you define it as "executive, judicial, congress, military, and intelligence sectors" then they run the fucking world; they control the politics of most of the continent, as well as it criminals, its media and its corporations, they put big pressure into europe, and they are currently extending on the middle east

as a matter of fact they even manage the drugs you do while you manifest in front of the white house

>> No.45125750

>>45125738
they also own heroin addicts, ufos, the internet, and magic

>> No.45125763

>>45125692

Cool. Thanks anon.

What about Fedora?

>> No.45125777

>>45125763
*tips*

It's like RHEL but more unstable.

>> No.45125778

>>45125733
>"why do you Linux if you dont use it professionaly?"

1. to show your friends how much of a hardcore hacker you are
2. there is no 2

>> No.45125779

>>45125763
Fedora is basically a community-maintained desktop distribution based on RHEL.

When it comes down to the basics, RHEL and Fedora are not that much different. Fedora is just less stable and has software for desktop computing loaded on it.

>> No.45125807

>free
>comes with all the drivers you need out of the box when done right
>package managers
>customization
>fast and lightweight when done right
>UNIXy simplicity
>doesn't rely on deprecated filesystem
>not Windows

>> No.45125819

>>45125401
Well Red Hat and SUSE certainly aren't poor.

>> No.45125885

>>45125777
>>45125779

I see. So RHEL isn't free but I still want to learn how to use it. A quick Google search says that CentOS is a RHEL clone. Should I just learn CentOS in order to learn RHEL?

>> No.45125892

>>45125885
That'll do.

>> No.45125895
File: 219 KB, 1400x1050, 2014-11-12-102334_1400x1050_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45125895

The battery's a bit busted and Linux seems to have better power optimization than Windows

>> No.45125900
File: 280 KB, 692x597, 1413930653738.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45125900

It just works and the software I use was written primarily for it

>> No.45125938

>>45125272
1. It gives me my freedom
2. I ostensibly know that software that is both free as in beer and free as in freedom was not developed to somehow take advantage of me (financially or otherwise)
3. Package management reduces disk usage and increases the organization of my system
4. Performance is generally better
5. I have more choices for which software I use
6. It's much easier to do development for pretty much any programming language except platform-specific languages like C# or Objective-C
7. It's far, far, far more secure, both in terms of vulnerabilities and inherent bad architecture

>> No.45125972

>>45125895

One thing I never liked about Linux is the fonts.. they can never do fonts right and doesn't look nearly as good as Windows.

>> No.45125985

>>45125900

Should I read this right to left or left to right?

I don't even know anymore. Fucking manga.

>> No.45125996

>>45125432
Installing Ruby and some other web dev horseshit is actually the precise reason I realized I needed to change as well.

A 4 hour process of installing the different necessary stuff to build a project on Windows turned into 10 minutes tops on Linux.

>> No.45126004

>>45125985
Whatever genius translated it also mirrored it I think

>> No.45126017

I paid $12 for Windows 8. I paid more than that for my lunch.

>> No.45126064

>>45125576

> Fork it
> Add random ass code
> Release it
> Hipster cunts love it

>> No.45126065

>>45126017
You have really expensive lunches.

>> No.45126140
File: 318 KB, 1680x1050, wallpaper-945124.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126140

>>45125272
/thread

>> No.45126189

>>45125972
Fonts are shit on both Linux and Windows. But especially on Windows. Who wants pixelated fonts that give you eye cancer? I used to get headaches from using computers, I thought it was the screen, but it was the OS's shitty font rendering. OS X has the best font rendering by far.

>> No.45126197
File: 48 KB, 500x425, Linux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126197

>>45126140

>> No.45126227
File: 48 KB, 774x1032, kappa_by_murugo-d52s687.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126227

>>45126064
That's on the hipster cunts.

>> No.45126310

>>45126189
>arch linux
>come at me bro

>> No.45126317
File: 266 KB, 1313x789, 2014-11-12--1415783880_1920x1080_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126317

>>45126310
forgot pic

>> No.45126332
File: 62 KB, 294x238, 01murderfacepours.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126332

Hands raised, how many people ITT are even on Linux?

>1

>> No.45126357
File: 217 KB, 1280x1024, Screenshot from 2014-11-12 10:23:53.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126357

>>45126332
I am

>> No.45126377
File: 1.24 MB, 1920x1080, 2014-11-12--1415784428_1920x1080_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126377

>>45126357
seconded

>> No.45126395
File: 1.64 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot from 2014-11-12 01:29:24.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126395

>>45126332
ayy elmo

>> No.45126406

>>45126332
ubuntu here.

what's the keyboard shortcut to paste in terminal

>> No.45126409
File: 96 KB, 400x400, 1373985036015.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126409

>>45126357
>mint

>>45126395
>fedora
>not opensuse

>> No.45126418

>>45126406
ctrl-shift-v

>> No.45126424
File: 755 KB, 1080x1920, arch linux for lesbians.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126424

>>45126332
arch here

>> No.45126427

Look, another paid MS anti-GNU/Linux FUD thread.

What happened this time to make you insecure, Microsoft? You do see the end of your shitty company, don't you? You see it looming closely and you are TERRIFIED.

Enjoy the end. Only dreams now.

>> No.45126435

>>45126418
How can I change that to just ctrl-v

>> No.45126450

Can't game so it stinks

>> No.45126466

>>45125514
See Goldman Sachs c. 2007-2010

>> No.45126496
File: 481 KB, 1440x900, screenFetch-2014-11-12_03-44-05.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126496

>>45126332
I am.

>> No.45126512

>>45126409
But OpenSUSE GNOME ships with so much shit preinstalled, and YaST spends most of its time just getting in the way. I don't need a fucking GUI to manage my ip address, and if I did, NetworkManager would do it far better.

Literally, the only advantage I can see in OpenSUSE is Zypper. And for the amount of time I actually spend using my package manager, it isn't worth moving.

>> No.45126517
File: 22 KB, 219x293, 1303594860454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126517

>>45126409
>thinking distro matters

I thought this was a thread for Linux users

>> No.45126518
File: 1.53 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot from 2014-11-12 01:46:12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126518

>>45126409
>fedora
>using KDEshit

>> No.45126519

>>45126496
>that incredibly ugly UI

holy shit I thought gentoofags had good ricing abilities

>> No.45126538

>>45126519
i don't rice, i get work done

>> No.45126542

>>45125272
>Why do you Linux?

I use it at home because it is the OS I'm most familiar with and the most proficient in. I've been using it for the last 8 years, and I know its ins and outs, know how to troubleshoot issues, know where to find information online, know how to fix most common issues.

I use it at work because I make software for Linux for a living, and everyone else here use it anyway so all the howtos and setup scripts and whatnot are made for Linux.

>> No.45126545

>>45125514
Good lord. I really had no idea there were people this out of touch with current events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

>> No.45126563

>>45125552
This, winshills seem to think that "open source" means anybody can edit the code of a project.

Any proprietaryfag can write a program and distribute it; the only difference with FOSS is that people can verify that the developer actually knows what they're doing.

>> No.45126580
File: 1.63 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot from 2014-11-12 01:53:35.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45126580

No. Windows font rendering is complete ass.

>> No.45126581

>>45125310
>Because I can put my faith behind millions of coders and hackers on the internet rather than one company in the united states who can be manipulated by the government
why would you trust random people

>> No.45126593

>>45126538
But you still installed a dark as your soul theme for Firefox and use a barely-readable epic pixel font in your terminals.

>> No.45126620

>>45126593
Drift is very readable.

Firefox is just using my gtk theme which is numix blue, a very light theme so im not sure what you're clalling dark, unless its the 4chan theme but its just default oneechan and app chan x. i havent configured anything

>> No.45126629

>>45125272
Mainly because it's significantly lighter to run (automatically installs depencies). It's free (eventho never paid for windows either)

>> No.45126638

>>45126580
that font rendering is so blurry i feel blind

>> No.45126652

>>45125514
>When in the history of Capitalism has the US Government manipulated a corporation? Why would the Government want to manipulate corporations anyway? If anything corporations are manipulating the Government.
literally the most ignorant post i've ever read.
educate yourself

>> No.45126662

>>45125310
>incredibly hackable

I agree with everything else but this line makes you look like a 13 year old

>> No.45126664

>>45126332

I'm on Linux. A generic-ish distro on the desktop and Gentoo Hardened on the Macbook Pro.

Just using the generic-ish distro on the desktop (two 30" 2560x1600 monitors stood vertically, Radeon card) until I get a bit of time to set up the Gentoo Hardened base with Xorg, then I'll just sync /etc/portage over, emerge -Duaqv world, then copy Salt States, tweak them, and apply them.

>> No.45126668

>>45126620
Why don't you use Terminus or a TrueType font in your terminal? They are objectively more readable than your font.

You're a ricer.

>>45126638
Let's see yours.

>> No.45126674

>>45125272
I get to screw around with shit and stuff. Kind of why I got into computers in the first place.

>> No.45126689

It is better for watching vidya and surfing the web on my laptop while I'm not on my main gaymen machine.

>> No.45126697

>>45126581

Corporations have given us many more reasons to not trust them than random people have. I don't usually read on the news that someone recently discovered a massive virus that one of the Linux kernel developers had put there to fuck everyone up. Plus, it's all open source, which means you can check the code you're executing if you want to see if it does something that you don't like. And then you can remove what you don't like, recompile the whole thing and use that. And potentially push your own bug fix onto the application repository. That's the whole point of open source after all: you have complete control over it.

>> No.45126710

I use Linux on my laptop since I only use it to watch videos and check e-mail.

>> No.45126791

>>45125272

GNU/Linux is better suited for any kind of software development outside of .NET or OS X. I develop software in frameworks different than .NET so yeah...

As for the rest, this
>>45125310
>>45125310
>>45125310

>> No.45127120

>>45126406
>>45126418

Shift-Insert works as well

look into xmodmap if you want to change it

>> No.45127436

>>45126662
lol no, probably just meant the other definition, like customisable or some shit.

>> No.45127567

I have a shitty computer and a full time job that leaves no room for games.

>> No.45127676

>>45127120
not using middle click to paste...

>> No.45127694

>>45125272
I made that OC and I don't even use Linux as my daily. The only real reason is
>much games

>> No.45127862

>>45127676
thinkpad has no middle button

>> No.45127927

1. Because it is free

2. Because it is free

3. Because it is free

4. Because I'm in charge to decide how to use it instead of some silly hipster company

>> No.45127982

>>45127862
Just simulate it with both left and right clicks simultaniously

>> No.45128005

>>45127982
HOLYSHIT!

>> No.45128090

>>45125349
this

>> No.45128101

>>45125272
Because /g/, thanks /g/

>> No.45128128

>graphics course with OpenGL and SDL
>try to set things up both in windows (using Visual Studio) and on Ubuntu

That is the reason.

>> No.45128177

>>45126435
recompile

>> No.45128186

>>45125373
You sound like the fucking Java runtime install. >Billions of devices use it.

>> No.45128187

>>45126409
>weaboo reaction pic
>distro elitism

go back to your ricing autism containment thread

>> No.45128310

>>45128005
Also You don't even have to copy the text. Selecting is enough.

>> No.45128503

>>45128310
Yeah I was familiar with that cause I've used Putty on Windows a while back, but I think pasting worked as per Win standard there. The middle mouse method is just fine though

>> No.45129059

>>45125310
>1. Because it is free

Muh freedoms.

>2. Because I can put my faith behind millions of coders and hackers on the internet rather than one company in the united states who can be manipulated by the government

>implying millions of coders all work together to solve everything
>implying the groups that do solve shit do it full time
>implying they are even qualified

>3. Package managers
pain in the ass

>4. Incredibly hackable
ok make malware that can break into my debian distro via internets

>5. Fun to fuck around with
autism, too damn high

>6. To be a hipster (lets not lie to ourselves this is why we do it. It makes our loins feel moist that we are part of an obscure group).

yawn, such special little snowflakes all made of the same shit water.

>7. Because just by learning linux I am on the path to being a sysadmin and eventually makes lots of money to make sure servers dont' fuck up

lawl.lawl.

>8. Because I am addicted to distro hopping
jack of all

>9. Becuase I hate now I can't customize certain things in windows
you haven't been trying hard enough, bias much to favor linux because you're a hipster?

>10. Because I have used windows for so long that it is boring to me to only have ONE option.

diversity is good.

>> No.45129081

>>45125885
Yea. The only difference between RHEL and CentOS is some proprietary junk and the lack of support.

>> No.45129103

>>45126140
The 90's called, they want "it's a black thing, you wouldn't understand" back.

>> No.45129176

>>45126140
We use Linux because it's not backdoored by default. /thread.

>> No.45129180

>>45125525
what about lin-nucks as in ducks

approve me /g/

>> No.45129184

>>45129059
>>3. Package managers
>pain in the ass

Opinion discarded

>> No.45129190

because it would be stupid of me to major in CS without being comfortable in a UNIX-like OS

>> No.45129206

>>45125373
>toaster runs linux
explain

>> No.45129217

>>45125272

* freedom
* unix-like, no nonsense like windows way of doing (badly) things
* It earns me a fucking nice living

Now, go fuck a landmine, OP

>> No.45129239

>>45125807
>comes with all the drivers you need out of the box when done right

h-how

>> No.45129252

>>45126435
ctrl-v is used for another purpose by all terminal emulators that I know of

>> No.45129255

>>45125373
You're exaggerating, for something as simple as a toaster there's no reason you'd run something so unneccesarily complex.

>> No.45129335

>>45129255
When's the last time you went to a home appliance store, anon? Refrigerators are twitter-connected and shit now. It's crazy.

>> No.45129355

>>45129335
Yeah, but not toasters.

>> No.45129369

>>45129239
I don't know what ghetto hardware you're running, but I can stick the latest Debian live-cd in any of my computers and everything works. Even wireless.

>> No.45129424

>>45129369
Fedora.

Downloading the live-cd now.

>> No.45129646

>>45126332
does it count if its open in a VM doing things?
and with my other laptop I only use linux

>> No.45129670

>>45126140
>it's fun to have shit break and have to repair it
No, it isn't.

>> No.45129800

>>45129670
Opinions.

>> No.45131118

>>45125310
>1. Because it is free
it's only free if your time is worthless.
>2. Because I can put my faith behind millions of coders and hackers on the internet rather than one company in the united states who can be manipulated by the government
NSA controls FSM
>3. Package managers
What is "the App Store"
>4. Incredibly hackable
incredibly breakble
>5. Fun to fuck around with
you know what's more fun? Playing video games. which you can't do on linux
>6. To be a hipster (lets not lie to ourselves this is why we do it. It makes our loins feel moist that we are part of an obscure group).
OSX is better for hipsters
>7. Because just by learning linux I am on the path to being a sysadmin and eventually makes lots of money to make sure servers dont' fuck up
I make more money as a video game graphic designer on my mac
>8. Because I am addicted to distro hopping
you have ADD
>9. Becuase I hate now I can't customize certain things in windows
then use a mac
>10. Because I have used windows for so long that it is boring to me to only have ONE option.
then use a mac

>> No.45131567

it was built the year i got born
i like it
i dont play games besides bombermine
porn plays better in linux mpv

>> No.45132830

>>45126668
>objectivity is subjective
no


i cant read terminus font, it gives me a headache

>> No.45132872

>>45125272
probably similar reason why you use windows

>> No.45132896

>>45131118
>he typed all of this
>ebin troll
1/10

>> No.45132918

It's fun.

>> No.45132967

>free
>mostly free
>just works
>worst case it requires a bit of manual configuration that's easy as fuck
>updating system software is more reliable than Windows Update
>update system also takes care of other software like Chromium and Transmission for me
>actually has redeeming factors other than games

>> No.45133057

>>45126332
ayyy

>> No.45133085
File: 310 KB, 1200x1145, 1366897006449.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45133085

>>45125272
>Lightweight server OS
>Has lots of software for free
>Runs much better than Windows on my shitty netbook

What's not to like? Unless you use some neckbeard distro like (pic related) Arch.

>> No.45133110
File: 577 KB, 1280x800, Screenshot from 2014-11-12 19:31:02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45133110

>>45126332
I might say it's a fair amount of people .. that's why most of us are here

>> No.45133349

To fulfill my academic requirements in colelge. The CLI/terminal environment is surprisingly good for single task use. Once you get the hang of it, it feels clutter free and straight forward. GUI window environments is nice when multitasking (writing and researching) but I noticed I prefer CLI for compiling and such. The fact that I can just type in apt-get for gcc and fnftp was magical for me. Files listed down in text was also pleasant.

>> No.45133383

>>45126140
what the fuck? no, i use linux because it does exactly what i tell it to do every single time for months and months, years if i can avoid updates.

>> No.45133463

1. Free
2. Easy and fast to get installed
3. Don't have to keep refreshing the OS to make it fast again (Windows)
4. Super powerful terminal
5. Easy to customize (bind keys, change theme, tons of open source software)
6. Runs super fast
7. Just using it and tinkering with it gives me experience with an OS that is used everywhere (same could be said for Windows, but you have to get nitty gritty with Linux with .conf files and such)

I will say that Windows is generally more usable for general people, but if you want a challenge and wet to broaden your experience with operating systems I highly recommend it.

>> No.45133526

>>45133085
Suse master race

>> No.45133539
File: 49 KB, 441x408, yesssss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45133539

I use Linux to avoid buying a laptop every two years.

Now I buy one every eight.

>> No.45133592

>>45133110
Count up.

>>45133539
I've still got t40s in active service with my poorfag friends.
I just moved off my t60 this year.

>> No.45133604

>>45133592

If Lubuntu wasn't free, I would be in debt up to my cheap as fuck nipples.

>> No.45133618

>>45133526
Never used SUSE. What makes it better than other distros?

>> No.45133634

>>45133618
It has a lizard in its logo.

>> No.45133649

>>45133634
This.
Seriously, most underrated feature of SUSE.
All my lizards friends really appreciate that there's a distro out there where they feel welcome, rather than all these human based distros like debian with buzz lightyears chin.

>> No.45133660
File: 16 KB, 368x500, AMAZED.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45133660

>>45133634

SOLD

>> No.45133690

It just werks.

>> No.45133705

>>45133604

Your comment pleases me. How do I upvote on this website?

>> No.45133740

>>45133705
Just tip your hat at him. It's wireless.

>> No.45133763

>>45133740
Only if you're on fedora.

>> No.45133787
File: 13 KB, 195x120, SPONGEBOB 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
45133787

>>45133763

For shame, anon.


You know no one uses Fedora.

>> No.45133799

>>45125272
Because it's free and fun. It works for just about everything I need (I keep windows installed for games).

I would use Linux more if I didn't have to reboot into Windows to play games. Rebooting can be inconvenient, and VM's just sort of suck imo.

I'm currently trying to get a Lubuntu install onto my Asus TF700 android tablet so that I finally have an ultrabook I can program on.

>> No.45133813

>>45133787
I know, the entire system is too prone to crashing, capsizing.

You could say fedora is much to prone to tipping.

>> No.45133820

>>45133787
...I use Fedora...

But to be fair I'm probably going to switch to OpenSUSE.

>> No.45133859

>>45133820
>I use Fedora

Stop. Put the keyboard down and go to the hospital.

Yes, it's an emergency.

>> No.45133876

>>45133859
>Hello this is 911, please state your emergency.
Fedora.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action