Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1.32 MB, 1683x1725, stallman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817092 No.34817092 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>http://stallman.org/to-4chan.html

This is from today.

I still have to read it myself.

>> No.34817132

>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
#rekt

>> No.34817137
File: 1.55 MB, 350x258, 1368244720529.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817137

10/10
all my love

>> No.34817144

Has Stallman ever typed a sentence that doesn't include the word free?

>> No.34817156

I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.
The latest Intel PC processors are useless in the Free World, because they require a proprietary program to initialize the memory and a signed proprietary blob in the northbridge chip.

I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.
Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.

However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

(continues)

>> No.34817168

>>34817156

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.
Android is not, in practice, an entirely free operating system. It has problems , larger or smaller depending on which product. The problems of nonfree driver libraries, and the universal back door in cell phone radio communication software, are imposed by the hardware and are not directly the fault of Android, but that does not make them ok.
There are two different licenses that some refer to as "the BSD license". Both are free software licenses, but the difference has major practical consequences. To avoid confusion, please always say which one you mean — don't say "the BSD license" as if there were just one.

If you support the idea of free software, how about helping our work? Most of the movement's work is done by volunteers, and you can be one of them. See gnu.org/help for a list of suggested ways to help. It is not necessary to be a programmer, because there are other kinds of help we need too.

Copyright (c) 2013 Richard Stallman Verbatim copying and redistribution of this entire page are permitted provided this notice is preserved.

>> No.34817175

>>34817144
If the topic is about freedom, why would he avoid using the word free?

>> No.34817178

He has spoken!

>> No.34817179

>go to list of recommended distros
>don't recognize a single thing there

Cool, so I'm not a gigantic faggot.

>> No.34817198
File: 21 KB, 340x340, 136912722036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817198

>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux

>> No.34817210

>Gentoo getting #Rekt by Stallman himself

>> No.34817213
File: 82 KB, 1022x768, BRILLIANT-s1022x768-340120_zpsa49a1615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817213

HAHAHA|HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.34817214
File: 474 KB, 1500x1001, lowopinion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817214

>> No.34817215

Holy fuck gentoofags, androidfags and intelfags got fucking DESTROYED in one simple post.

>> No.34817216

What a baby. Because it doesn't have his name front and center Gentoo sucks.

>> No.34817225

MILORDD

>> No.34817227

>>34817214
Do you have a 4chan is inane image?

>> No.34817237

>>34817216
Anally destroyed gentoofag detected, it recommends the usage of non free software too.

Remove gentoofags from premises

>> No.34817240

>>34817216
>More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs
>which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
Did you just troll me?

>> No.34817241

/g/ TOLD STATUS:
[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[x] FUCKING TOLD
[x] CASH4TOLD.COM
[x] KNIGHTS OF THE TOLD REPUBLIC
[x] TOLDERONE
[x] STONE TOLD STEVE AUSTIN
[x] CURE FOR THE COMMON TOLD
[x] BEN TOLDS
[x] THE 40 YEAR TOLD VIRGIN
[x] 007: TOLDENEYE
[x] TEXAS TOLD’EM
[x] AUSTIN POWERS IN TOLDMEMBER
[x] PTERODACTOLD
[x] TOLDTINO’S PIZZA ROLLS
[x] NO COUNTRY FOR TOLD MEN
[x] 24 CARAT TOLD
[x] ONLY SHOOTING STARS BREAKTHE TOLD
[x] GOING ONCE… GOING TWICE… TOLD
[x] GARY TOLDMAN
[x] TOLD SPICE
[x] TOLD STONE CREAMERY
[x] BABY IT’S TOLD OUTSIDE
[x] POKEMON TOLD AND SILVER
[x] TOLD YELLER
[x] EL DORADO: THE LOST CITY OF TOLD
[x] TOLDPLAY
[x] THE TOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
[x] DANNY DEVITOLD
[x] TOLDEN SUN
[x] FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLDS
[x] CAN’T TEACH A TOLD DOG NEW TRICKS
[x] I AIN’T SAYIN SHE A TOLD DIGGER
[x] TOLDING CHAIR
[x] TOLDIER OF FORTUNE
[x] THE TOLDEN COMPASS
[x] TOLDEN AXE
[x] TOLD MACDONALD HAD A FARM
[x ROCKIN TO THE TOLDIES
[x] BATTLETOLDS
[x] YE TOLDE PUB
[x] TOLDEN CAULFIELD
[x] THE TOLD MAN AND THE SEA
[x] TOLD MEDAL WINNER AT THE OLYMPICS
[x] ALL OF THE ABOVE

>> No.34817246
File: 459 KB, 1500x1001, lowopinion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817246

>>34817214
Best version

>> No.34817250

>>34817241
[x] GNU/TOLD

>> No.34817255
File: 1.56 MB, 334x357, deals.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817255

>#REKT

>> No.34817264

Actually those who've used gentoo all this time and actually care about stallman should've known.

It's no secret, most of those who belived it fall for the memes.

>> No.34817273

>>34817264
s/fall/fell

>> No.34817279
File: 230 KB, 800x800, 57b1918e298912a18db3d6d09857642b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817279

this isn't new you know, he's noted these things quite a few times.

>> No.34817286

Why isn't Debian in his list of recommended distros?

-posted from my iPod

>> No.34817287

>>34817273
>vim
>not Emacs

>> No.34817289

So will /g/ dethrone Stallman for their Gentoo love or dethrone Gentoo for their Stallman love?

>> No.34817293

>>34817241
>All of The Above
>includes Not Told
Could someone please clarify how told /g/ is.

>> No.34817296

>>34817289
whynotboth.jpg

>> No.34817312

i bet he got annoyed by all the mails he gets from /g/entoomen and hopes that there'll be less now

>> No.34817319

GNU STRONG
FUCK GENTOO

>> No.34817320

>>34817264
He doesn't recommend that people use Gentoo because it makes it easy for users to install non-free software. If you use it without ever using the non-free software, your freedom will remain intact.

>> No.34817321
File: 124 KB, 462x637, rms1339633743553.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817321

>>34817286
because it allows one to easily install nonfree software

>> No.34817324

>Inb4 Stallman shills say this is just a conspiracy made by the goverment

>> No.34817325

>>34817286
Because at one point in time, Debian wasn't as FOSS as today. Plus, it still makes it relatively simple to install proprietary shit.

>> No.34817327
File: 52 KB, 1210x831, squiga64.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817327

HE HAS SPOKEN TO US !

THIS IS THE END OF EVERYTHING !

>> No.34817328

>>34817293
[ ] Not told
[ ] Told
[X] TOLDASAURUS REX
[X] Cash4told.com
[X] No country for told men
[X] Knights of the told Republic
[X] ToldSpice
[x] The Elder Tolds IV: Oblivious
[x] Command & Conquer: Toldberian Sun
[x] GuiTold Hero: World Told
[X] Told King of Boletaria
[x] Countold Strike
[x] Unreal Toldament
[x] Stone-told Steve Austin
[X] Half Life 2: Episode Told
[x] World of Warcraft: Catoldclysm
[X] Roller Coaster Toldcoon
[x] Battletolds
[x] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shatold of Chernobyl
[X] Toldasauraus Rex 2: Electric Toldaloo
[x] Told of Duty 4: Modern Toldfare
[X] Pokemon Told and Silver
[x] The Legend of Eldorado : The Lost City of Told
[X] Rampage: Toldal Destruction
[x] Told Fortress Classic
[x] Toldman: Arkham Told
[X] The Good, The Bad, and The Told
[x] Super Mario SunTold
[x] Legend of Zelda: Toldacarnia of Time
[X] Toldstone creamery
[x] Mario Golf: Toldstool Tour
[X] Super Told Boy
[X] Left 4 Told
[X] Battoldfield: Bad Company 2
[x] Toldman Sachs
[X] Conker's Bad Fur Day: Live and Retolded
[x] Lead and Told: Gangs of the Wild West
[x] Portold 2
[x] Avatold: The Last Airbender
[X] Dragon Ball Z Toldkaichi Budokai
[x] Toldcraft II: Tolds of Toldberty
[x] Leo Toldstoy
[x] Metal Gear Toldid 3: Snake Eater
[X] 3D Dot Told Heroes
[x] J.R.R Toldkien's Lord of the Told
[x] Told you that ps3 has no games
[X] LitTOLD Big Planet
[x] Rome: Toldal War
[x] Gran Toldrismo 5
[x] Told Calibur 4
[x] Told Fortress 2
[x] Castlevania: RonTold of Blood
[x] Guilty Gear XX Accent Told
[x] Cyndaquil, Chicorita, and Toldodile
[x] was foretold
[x] demon's told
[x] http//:www.youtold.com
[x] Tolden Sun: Dark Dawn
[x] Tic-Tac-Told
[X] Biotold 2
[X] Toldbound
[x] icetold
[x] Told of the Rings
[x] James Bond: Told Finger

>> No.34817331

>>34817289
Neither.

Gentoo will continue to be our le board culture meme, and Stallman will continue to be our God.

>> No.34817333

>>34817289
Neither.. /g/ laughs at stallman and gentoo alike - This letter only hypes the situation even more...

>> No.34817336

>>34817320
Sure I'm just talking about the muh freedoms and install gentoo memes that people always linked to stallman.

>> No.34817338

Gentlemen, I propose we adopt a new king.
A king that respects our freedom of choice, not just our freedom of software.

Eric S. Raymond.

>> No.34817341

GRAND THEFT GENTOLD

>> No.34817351

>>34817333
I don't laugh about either.

>> No.34817354

>>34817338
We can't.

>> No.34817355

Actually we just refer to it as "gentoo" not "gentoo linux"
Although if I do ever care I will refer to it as gentoo gnu/linux rather than just linux.

Stallman sure wasn't worried about denying the validity of the 'I'd like to interject' pasta.

>> No.34817360

>>34817338
>freedom to choose handcuffs
Enjoying your NSAkey?

>> No.34817362

>>34817320
>>34817321
So the problem is it gives you the freedom to install nonfree software? Do I not have that freedom in the approved distros?

>> No.34817365

>>34817351
That's because the rest of us laugh at you...

>> No.34817385

>>34817362
You do it's just not explained how to and there are no repos available.

>> No.34817387

>>34817362
It's difficult in the 'approved' distros.

>> No.34817390

>>34817362
The maintainers don't encourage people to install non-free software as part of their software packaging system. You would have to modify the packaging system yourself to do that.

>> No.34817393

>>34817365
Enjoy sucking the NSA cock.

>> No.34817395

>>34817362
No, because it steers users to install non-free software. Plus included software when you download Gentoo has nonfree software.

>> No.34817397

>>34817362
The FSF are overly purist. Don't worry about it.

>> No.34817403

Why would I care about some fat fuck that dresses up like a homeless person? The man's a cult leader.

>> No.34817405

>>34817137
the quick white nerd jumps over the asleep bearded one.

>> No.34817411

>Ututo XS, a GNU/Linux distribution based on Gentoo. It was the first fully free GNU/Linux system recognized by the GNU Project.

why are you not running ututo XS?

>> No.34817413

>>34817397
The FSF care about controlling the software they use.

>> No.34817417

>>34817355
that's because we use gentoo/kfreebsd

>> No.34817423

>>34817405
>says the guy with an anime name

>> No.34817424

>>34817393
I'm not American, I don't care - Nor do I have anything to hide.

>> No.34817432

>>34817403
His prophecy about the state of affairs in computing have been vindicated in his favor.

>> No.34817443

>>34817241
>[x ROCKIN TO THE TOLDIES
SYNTAX ERROR

>> No.34817445

>>34817403
And what an amazing cult.

>> No.34817446

He really shouldn't be taking us this seriously.

>> No.34817453

>>34817424
It doesn't matter where you are when you're on the Internet and have the NSAkey.

>> No.34817454

stall fatfuck is a fucking loser

any fanboy who sucks his cock is scum and should be banned

HE WORKS FOR BIG BUSINESS AND IS A MASSIVE HYPOCRITE

stallbros are fucking homos just as homo as capitalists and those brony fucks

>> No.34817462

>>34817454
wat.

>> No.34817468

>>34817413
Sure, I agree with them for the most part, but it simply isn't practical to run a system with 100% free software. Luckily, you can do like 90% without a problem.

>> No.34817484

>>34817454
GNU/hypocrite*

>> No.34817486

>>34817468
even more:

2 non-free packages, 0.1% of 1699 installed packages.
1 contrib packages, 0.1% of 1699 installed packages.

>> No.34817491

>>34817468
If one rejects non-free software as harmful, then the practical thing to do is invest resources to write a free replacement. The non-free program exists because somebody took the effort to develop it.

>> No.34817493

>>34817454

I MAKE IT RAIN HATERADE

>> No.34817512

So of the list FOSS Approved distro list, is Trisquel the easiest to use?

>> No.34817535
File: 96 KB, 400x400, carrots.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817535

>>34817468
>install debian on laptop
>wifi drivers are nonefree
shit sucks

>> No.34817567

>>34817512
Probably so. I use Parabola for the Pacman system.

>> No.34817583

>>34817512
Yes, it's basically Ubuntu : Free as in Freedom Edition.

>> No.34817584

>>34817535
>install debian on laptop
>there are no wifi-driver at all
at least I'm productive while using it

>> No.34817595

>>34817240
>Steers the user towards nonfree programs.
Means
>Doesn't treat the user like a babby and doesn't try to hide proprietary software.

>> No.34817603

>>34817424
>I'm not American

enjoy Guantanamo bay.

>> No.34817604

He's right, though - Gentoo is dogshit.

>> No.34817613

Install Ututo.

>> No.34817621

B-but Gentoo is already gnu, right? When you say Gentoo Gnu/Linux, you actually say Gnu Gnu/Linux, right? pls respond

>> No.34817623

>>34817286
Because his Emacs documentation is in the non-free repo.

>> No.34817634

>>34817595
RMS is an activist that promotes the ethical solution to the social problem of non-free software. Remind me why he would want to recommend a system that recommends non-free software.

>> No.34817649

>>34817621
but they don't
>We produce Gentoo Linux,

>> No.34817659

>>34817328

[ ] Not told
[X] Told
[X] TOLDASAURUS REX
[X] Cash4told.com
[X] No country for told men
[X] Knights of the told Republic
[X] ToldSpice
[x] The Elder Tolds IV: Oblivious
[x] Command & Conquer: Toldberian Sun
[x] GuiTold Hero: World Told
[X] Told King of Boletaria
[x] Countold Strike
[x] Unreal Toldament
[x] Stone-told Steve Austin
[X] Half Life 2: Episode Told
[x] World of Warcraft: Catoldclysm
[X] Roller Coaster Toldcoon
[x] Battletolds
[x] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shatold of Chernobyl
[X] Toldasauraus Rex 2: Electric Toldaloo
[x] Told of Duty 4: Modern Toldfare
[X] Pokemon Told and Silver
[x] The Legend of Eldorado : The Lost City of Told
[X] Rampage: Toldal Destruction
[x] Told Fortress Classic
[x] Toldman: Arkham Told
[X] The Good, The Bad, and The Told
[x] Super Mario SunTold
[x] Legend of Zelda: Toldacarnia of Time
[X] Toldstone creamery
[x] Mario Golf: Toldstool Tour
[X] Super Told Boy
[X] Left 4 Told
[X] Battoldfield: Bad Company 2
[x] Toldman Sachs
[X] Conker's Bad Fur Day: Live and Retolded
[x] Lead and Told: Gangs of the Wild West
[x] Portold 2
[x] Avatold: The Last Airbender
[X] Dragon Ball Z Toldkaichi Budokai
[x] Toldcraft II: Tolds of Toldberty
[x] Leo Toldstoy
[x] Metal Gear Toldid 3: Snake Eater
[X] 3D Dot Told Heroes
[x] J.R.R Toldkien's Lord of the Told
[x] Told you that ps3 has no games
[X] LitTOLD Big Planet
[x] Rome: Toldal War
[x] Gran Toldrismo 5
[x] Told Calibur 4
[x] Told Fortress 2
[x] Castlevania: RonTold of Blood
[x] Guilty Gear XX Accent Told
[x] Cyndaquil, Chicorita, and Toldodile
[x] was foretold
[x] demon's told
[x] http//:www.youtold.com
[x] Tolden Sun: Dark Dawn
[x] Tic-Tac-Told
[X] Biotold 2
[X] Toldbound
[x] icetold
[x] Told of the Rings
[x] James Bond: Told Finger
[X] GenTOLD Linux
[X] Linus TOLDvalds
[X] GNU/TOLD
[X] Richard TOLD Stallman
[X] J.R.R. TOLDkien

>> No.34817669
File: 136 KB, 900x675, thepeoplehereareinane - rms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817669

Nothing there we didn't know.

It is a shame he didn't mention Ututo as a free alternative to gentoo but at least he links to the free distros and Ututo is there.

>> No.34817682
File: 181 KB, 750x750, please_respond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817682

>>34817621
No.

>> No.34817685

>>34817512
The whole point of that list is that the distros are not supposed to be easy to use. Your question is idiotic.

>> No.34817687

>>34817649
>remove the t from Gentoo

>> No.34817713

>>34817685
>Below are the complete, ready-to-use GNU/Linux distributions we know follow the Guidelines for Free System Distributions. They have a firm policy commitment to only include and only propose free software.
You're a bit confused there friend.

>> No.34817726
File: 40 KB, 211x256, ututo_sin_borde_256.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817726

>>34817621
No, Install Ututo.

>> No.34817730

>>34817685
Trisquel is aimed for the normal user.

>> No.34817753

>>34817726
I like that mascot. It's so cute.

>> No.34817763

>>34817446
This. So much this.

>> No.34817764

Install Ututo XS

>> No.34817765

1

>> No.34817779

>>34817765
2

>> No.34817787

4

>> No.34817788

He likes our mosaics though, right?

>> No.34817793

>>34817779
3

>> No.34817796

>>34817788
Yes.

>> No.34817800

>>34817446
>>34817763
I guess he acted due to the new stupid trend to email him with inane shit from 4chan for a response.

>> No.34817805

Can I install Ututo even if I am white?

>> No.34817809

>>34817793
4

>> No.34817814
File: 18 KB, 661x432, Screenshot - 06242013 - 09:29:07 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817814

>>34817486
pleeb

>> No.34817820

>>34817634
>Recommends non-free software
It doesn't. In fact, you have to allow propreitary software in package.license before you can install it, and it gives a message when you are trying to install it.

>> No.34817821

>>34817809
5

>> No.34817830

>>34817821
6

>> No.34817831
File: 49 KB, 891x675, 1243676.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817831

>>34817327

>> No.34817833

>>34817800
Probably.

Then again he gets hundreds of shit emails like that a day. The man is impossible to troll by e-mail.

You have to pretend to speak English then ask him halfway through a lecture to speak br.

>> No.34817840

>>34817830
7

>> No.34817843
File: 23 KB, 693x718, poopy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817843

>>34817092

>> No.34817844

>>34817831
Please do not respond to ban-evading zoophile attention seekers.

>> No.34817849

>>34817840
8

>> No.34817854

>>34817833
Brazilians are truly the greatest rusemen.

>> No.34817857

>>34817844
lel

>>34817849
9

>> No.34817866

Is there anything like vrms for Gentoo?

>> No.34817867

>>34817857
10!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.34817868
File: 4 KB, 492x38, Screenshot from 2013-06-24 10:32:18.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817868

>>34817814
Oh wow, I didn't even know this was a program.

>> No.34817876

>RMS not recommanding Debian
>stallman.org run on a Debian Server

>> No.34817880
File: 62 KB, 300x300, dwight_crying.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817880

>>34817092
>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
N-nooo!!! B-but, b-but, i-install g-gen-gentooooo, install g-gentoo.

>> No.34817881 [DELETED] 
File: 11 KB, 638x295, 2013-06-24-113257_638x295_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817881

>>34817843

>> No.34817882

>>34817843
What about the realtek firmware?

>> No.34817889

>>34817820
The distribution team have a list of non-free software included as a part of their system. RMS won't endorse such a system because it recommends non-free software regardless of whether they tell you it's not. They must have a firm policy commitment to only include and only propose free software.

>> No.34817890

What are the differences between gNewSense and Trisquel? Which one is better?

>> No.34817895
File: 21 KB, 800x473, url.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817895

>Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

HOLY SHIT, THIS IS GOLD.

STICKY THIS THREAD.

>> No.34817896

>>34817882
I don't think I even need it. It is only there to shut-up dpkg.

>> No.34817907

>>34817890
gNewSense is basically unmaintained.

Trisquel is not.

>> No.34817908

>>34817890
I tried a beta of gnewsense 3.0 a few days ago it's still on the 2.6 kernel so I'd say go with trisquel.

>> No.34817913

what's the problem with intel chips.
all of that sht makes no fucking sense to me

>> No.34817927

>>34817876
It's probably running on a free debian derivative, like GNewSense.

>> No.34817928 [DELETED] 
File: 10 KB, 638x295, 2013-06-24-113554_638x295_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817928

>>34817881
lol

>> No.34817930
File: 199 KB, 369x513, 1371564697092.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817930

>>34817753
Yeah it's much better than those you see in the free software world nowadays.
Reminds me how I use sabayon and it includes adobe flash player as part of the default install, absolutely disgusting. Convenient but absolutely disgusting.

>> No.34817931

>>34817844
Does it upset you?
Also, there's no need to sage our glorious Stallman thread just because one single post annoys you.

>> No.34817937

>>34817913
They require proprietary software to function.

It's low--level stuff but nonfree nonetheless.

AFAIK AMD chips 'can' run without proprietary software but it's difficult.

>> No.34817946

>>34817876
The people running the webserver simply don't install the non-free software. They don't promote Debian, they use Debian without harming their own freedom. Promoting Debian is a different thing to using Debian and avoiding the non-free software.

>> No.34817949

>>34817890
Trisquel is maintained much better these days. A serious effort by a guy in Galicia (NW Spain) which also makes a huge effort to cater to individual with disabilities. It seems he does so even better than Canonical and the Debian project too.

>> No.34817955
File: 7 KB, 385x306, sage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34817955

>>34817931
It annoys me that the tripcode does nto result in an autoban, yes.

I am not contributing to the topic so I will not bump the thread.

>> No.34817959

>>34817937
what software? like this BIOS?
i just put in my chips and turned on the comp...

>> No.34817969

>>34817955
>It's a very Japanese concept
omg, please fucking kill yourself

>> No.34817973

>>34817959
Yes.

Some AMD mobos and CPUs can run off Coreboot.

In fact, I think some Intel ones can do so - the Chromebook Pixel does.

>> No.34817978

>>34817969
>omg

>> No.34817982

uninstal gentoo

>> No.34817988

>>34817973
so included in the price of the mobo is the bios?
so what the fuck does stallman use? his own handbuilt mobo with it's own chipset?

>> No.34817989

is this copypasta now
cause I can make it pasta

>> No.34817990

>>34817973
Ironically enough, the Chromebook can be used as a 100% free system if you get rid of the google.

>> No.34817995

>>34817973
Samsung Chromebook runs Coreboot by default

>> No.34818001

>>34817988
His only computer is a Lemote netbook. It's 100% free.

>> No.34818009

>>34817988
leemote a chinese mipsel netbook

>> No.34818011
File: 51 KB, 533x282, hipster_glasses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818011

>>34817988
He uses a Lemote Yeelong.

You've probably never heard of it.

>> No.34818017

>>34817990
you still have to pay for the hardware. which is exploiting third class labour.
i'm not against that, but i'm more against exploiting human labour than my over privaliged freeduhms

>> No.34818020

>>34817946
This, there's a huge difference between recognizing something as a free distro and promoting it.
People think just because they don't use those silly free alternatives rms disapproves of them but that's simply not true, as long as you don't install the nonfree stuff it's free as far as the fsf is concerned.

>> No.34818021

>>34818009
Mipsel?

Isn't it just MIPS?

>> No.34818024

>>34817179
>not recognizing gNewSense or Trisquel
Stay pleb Ubuntu babby.

>> No.34818036

>>34818001
>>34818009
>i'm all about freedoms
>i buy my products from an oppressive country

>> No.34818041

>>34817990
>as a 100% free system
>Intel CPU
>free system

top lel

>> No.34818044
File: 60 KB, 488x356, Screenshot - 06242013 - 10:42:09 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818044

I do protest though. I should only have 4 non-free as one of them snes9x and the condition that makes it non-free is that you are not allowed to charge people for it.

>> No.34818061

>>34818017
Well, your existence technically is doing that job.

Just because Stallman's notebook has less features doesn't make it any different.

>> No.34818063

>>34818021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPSel

>> No.34818064

>>34818041
It's coreboot nigga.

>> No.34818068

>>34818036
You've audited the conditions of the Lemote factory? RMS hasn't but he knows that nobody will control his Lemote machine.

>> No.34818075

>>34818036
>believing USA propaganda.
You are the one living in a Corporatocracy.

>> No.34818080

>>34818063
Oh, thanks.

>> No.34818081

>>34818036
It's not like you can help them. It's better to take care of yourself and your freedoms.

>> No.34818088

>>34817995
Got a source for that? I found some articles regarding a prototype but nothing concrete.

>> No.34818090

>>34818064
>implying I wasn't mocking the dichotomy between equating proprietary software with actual fascism but happily using proprietary hardware

>> No.34818091
File: 45 KB, 621x714, lel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818091

pic related

>> No.34818092

>>34818036
Most computer hardware is either made or assembled in China.

It's not something one can avoid. At all.

>> No.34818094

>>34818075
america is bad but nowhere near as bad as china.
i'm from new zealand.

>> No.34818095
File: 666 KB, 912x684, DSCF0987s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818095

>>34818068
>RMS hasn't
You can't possibly know that.

>> No.34818096

>>34818036
Every country on the planet is oppressive. There's nothing you can do about that.

>> No.34818101

/g/ TOLD status
[ ] Not Told
[x] Told
[x] TOLD
[x] AlTOLD
[x] Tolderone
[x] The good, The bad, and the Told
[x] I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAIRS BRO! I TOLD YOU DAWG!
[x] Knights of the Told Republic
[x] cash4told.com
[x] I'm too Told for this shit
[x] No country for told men
[x] Batman: The Brave and the Told
[x] Toldal Recall
[x] Night on Told Mountain
[x] Visited the doctor and got diagnosed with a Told
[x] J.R.R. Toldkein
[x] Toldja boy Tell 'em
[x] Metold Gear Solitold 4: Guns of the Patriotold
[X] TOLDASAURUS REX
[X] TOLDSpice
[x] The Elder TOLDS IV: Oblivious
[x] Command & Conquer: TOLDberian Sun
[x] GuiTold Hero: World TOLD
[x] CounTOLD Strike
[x] Unreal TOLDament
[X] Half Life 2: Episode TOLD
[x] World of Warcraft: CaTOLDclysm
[X] Roller Coaster TOLDcoon
[x] BattleTOLDS
[x] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: ShaTOLD of Chernobyl
[X] TOLDasauraus Rex 2: Electric Toldaloo
[x] TOLD of Duty 4: Modern TOLDfare
[x] TOLDmember
[X] Pokemon TOLD and Silver
[x] The Legend of Eldorado : The Lost City of TOLD
[x] X-men: The first TOLD
[x] TOLD Fortress Classic
[x] Toldman: Arkham TOLD
[X] The Good, The Bad, and The TOLD
[x] Super Mario SunTOLD
[x] Legend of Zelda: TOLDacarnia of Time
[X] TOLDstone creamery
[x] StoneTOLD Steve Austin
[x] Mario Golf: TOLDstool Tour
[X] Super TOLD Boy
[x] TOLDboy
[x] TOLD mountain
[x] October TOLD

continued...

>> No.34818102
File: 17 KB, 620x288, 1996 - Super Mario 64-620x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818102

>>34818063
>>34818021
did you know mips has a mascot

>> No.34818108

>>34818101
...continued
[X] Left 4 TOLD
[X] BatTOLDfield: Bad Company 2
[x] TOLDman Sachs
[x] Avatold: The Last Airbender
[X] Dragon Ball Z TOLDkaichi Budokai
[x] Leo TOLDstoy
[x] Metal Gear TOLDid 3: Snake Eater
[x] J.R.R TOLDkien's Lord of the TOLD
[x] TOLDfinger
[x] Man with the TOLDen Gun
[x] TOLDenEye
[X] LitTOLD Big Planet
[x] Rome: TOLDAL War
[x] Gran TOLDrismo 5
[x] TOLD Fortress 2
[x] Castlevania: RonTOLD of Blood
[x] Guilty Gear XX Accent TOLD
[x] Tolden Sun: Dark Dawn
[x] Tic-Tac-TOLD
[X] Boku wa TOLDmodachi ga sukanai
[X] Ore no ImouTOLD
[X] My little sister can't possibly be this TOLD
[X] TOLD aru Majutsu no Index
[x] Record of TOLDoss War
[x] TOLDASAURUS REX
[x] Toldman Sachs
[x] Metal Gear Toldid 3: Snake Eater
[x] J.R.R Toldkien's Lord of the Told
[x] Told you that ps3 has no games
[x] LitTOLD Big Planet
[x] Rome: Toldal War
[x] Gran Toldrismo 5
[x] Told Fortress 2
[x] Castlevania: RonTold of Blood
[x] Articuno Zaptold and Moltres
[x] Guilty Gear xx Accent Told
[x] Cyndaquil, Chicorita, and Toldodile
[x] was foretold
[x] Tolden Sun: Dark Dawn
[x] Tic-Tac-Told
[x] Biotold 2
[x] Toldbound
[x] icetold
[x] Told of the Rings
[x] Microsoft Essential TOLD
[x] GNU/TOLD
[x] Fuckin' Told
[x] Neon Genesis Evangelitold
[x] Toldhou
[x] Cowboy Betold
[x] Told metal Alchemist
[x] Tolden Boy
[x] Record of Toldoss War
[x] Narutold

>> No.34818111

Morality has never been a game-changer that I base my purchases or distribution choice on.

Fuck stallman.

Use what I damn well please.

>> No.34818114

>>34818036
All computers are built in prc anyway. Hardware wise we're utterly fucked.

>> No.34818116

>>34818102
Mips is deprecated.

http://tasvideos.org/2016M.html

>> No.34818118

>>34817969
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageboard

>> No.34818124

>>34818111
Wow you're so cool mister.

>> No.34818129

>>34817092
For anyone too new:
Install gentoo was a joke that we used to pull because it was funny to think that someone just starting or wanting to get into linux would have to actually have to figure out gentoo.

>> No.34818137

>>34817969
Impolite.

>> No.34818139

>>34818088
>google/snow is an experiment to get coreboot up and running on the ARM chromebook, but that's not what they ship and not functional at this time.
https://plus.google.com/100132233764003563318/posts/bJid21nYiV1
I was mistaken

>> No.34818142

>>34818129
I thought it was because we wanted /v/ to attempt an install and give us a few days peace.

I suppose it could be both, given different circumstances.

>> No.34818156

>>34818094
My statement stands. You live in a satellite country of the USA.
See the treatment of Kim Dotcom by your proxy government.

>> No.34818158

>>34818124

I also smoke a pipe and eat copious amounts of medium rare beef.

Get on my level.

>> No.34818159

Someone should ask the Gentoo devs about their opinion about this

It'd be hilarious if they changed the name of their distro to "Gentoo GNU/Linux" because of this.

>> No.34818161

>>34818142
Install gentoo is a joke that started years ago.

>> No.34818169

What the hell is so wrong about proprietary closed source software anyway? People use their skills to make money, which is why you get a degree and shit. It's like getting mad because a composer or songwriter doesn't give away their music with full master recordings and charts or whatever.

>> No.34818171

>>34818159
They should have already.

>> No.34818177

That Replicant stuff looks interesting

>> No.34818179

>>34818169
>being this deluded
Your analogy fails because musicians actually make a living by touring.

>> No.34818180

>>34818159
They know and don't give a fuck.

Their philosophy is providing the best tools for the job.

>> No.34818182

>>34818169
because MUH PRIVACY

>> No.34818183

>wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM
yeah okay moving the 'bad' code into hardware totally makes it free as in freedom!

we need more DRM chips.

>> No.34818186
File: 354 KB, 441x396, laughingwhores.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818186

>>34818169

>> No.34818187

>>34818158
Do you have a fedora mistah?

>> No.34818188

>>34818139
Aw too bad, I just got mine today. Maybe I'll be able to flash it (and brick it) when it's available.

>> No.34818189

>>34817137
Fuck that looks like a younger version of bill gates.

>> No.34818200

>>34818090
Hardware freedom is usually easy to bypass when you can't control it - just ignore it and don't use it. Non-free software is more difficult to ignore.

>> No.34818202

>>34818183
Somehow asking the hardware for certain data is not as bad as having the said data in a file that you aren't allowed to disassemble.

Free software is weird stuff.

>> No.34818203

>>34818189
Congratulations you are the genius of our time.

>> No.34818207

>>34818183
That's something I've never quite understood either I've even thought about writing to rms about it.

>> No.34818214

>>34818183
This implies that he knows the microcode is not malicious.

I really wish they would free it.

Heck, I wish both AMD and nVidia would make all their drivers free.

>> No.34818219

>>34818095
I read it in some interview, I can't find the link now. They asked his dissonance about using a Chinese made computer.

>> No.34818226

>>34818189
>>>/out/

>> No.34818228

>>34818189
Maybe because that's Bill Gates himself ?

>> No.34818230

>>34818214
What is the possible repercussion of releasing the drivers?

They're just drivers.

>> No.34818231

>>34818214
There is no chance in hell since they are both actively competing against each other.

>> No.34818235

>>34818180
Properly naming your distro so as to identify its roots and components would be considered best use of nomenclature for the job.

>> No.34818243

>>34818189
>>34818203
CANNOT UNSEE
10/10

>> No.34818247

OH MY GOD!
He acknowledged us!
I'm gonna cum.

>> No.34818248

>>34818247
>>>/v/

>> No.34818253

>>34818169
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

>> No.34818254

>>34818189
>>34818203
>>34818226
>>34818228
ALSO GUYS... THERE IS A SLEEPING MAN IN THE CHAIR... DID U NOTICE THAT SLEEPING MAN... I THINK THAT MIGHT BE KEN THOMPSON... I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT

>> No.34818255

>>34818230
If you know how the hardware interacts with the software, you can easily recreate the hardware. At least, much more easily.

>> No.34818264

>>34818231
Whichever one freed their drivers first would get a lot of good press and goodwill.

Since they both have moles in the other company it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

>> No.34818268

>>34818187

No, I'm not a woman.

My beard is all the hat I need.

>> No.34818270

>>34818254
Just go back to 9fag.

>> No.34818278

>>34818202
Hardware is naturally impractical to modify when it is built. Software that a person could modify should be in the control of the one who owns the machine, the user.

>> No.34818279
File: 388 KB, 1650x1002, true_face_of_google_glass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818279

>>34818268
Laughed.

>> No.34818282

>>34818159
Stallman probably has sent them a dozen of mails regarding this already. I'm not even joking. Even getting Debian to call it gnu/linux was kind of a "ok we'll do that so leave us alone" move. For some reason distro maintainers generally don't give a fuck which is unfortunate.

>> No.34818287

>>34818179
Even so, you make money out of skill. Do all cooks volunteer for charity? Does everyone with computer prowess fix shit for free? Etcetera. Some people do but that doesn't mean everyone has to just because muh freedom

Also >implying cashiers don't have skills

>> No.34818292

>>34817210
it had already been Rekt and debian too

>> No.34818300

Install Ututu XS

>> No.34818308

>>34818287
Free as in free speech not as in better. Plenty of developers for Linux are paid.

>> No.34818316

>>34818308
not as in beer*

Ouch. Sorry.

>> No.34818318

>>34818287
Freedom doesn't mean 'profit is forbidden'. What it means is that users and their communities have the freedom to control the software

>> No.34818344

Cooks get paid to write open source food. See: cookbooks

AJFKLAJKLFJAKLJFLKJAKLFJKLAFJLAJFJALKFJAFJLAJLFJAKFJFLAJFLKJFLDJioJFIOFJOISDJAJF

>read back of cookbook
>IF U USE DIS BOOK TO COOK FOOD, ONLY LICENSED EATERS MAY EAT IT, OR WE SUE

>> No.34818358

>>34818344
rms had written books which are sold on the fsf website and elsewhere.

>> No.34818360

>>34818318

I don't understand not using a non free program as a protest.

Is it just a moral choice? Otherwise it has no overall impact.

>> No.34818377

>>34818318
Doesn't that forbid profit one way or another? People won't pay for open source software if they can just download and build it for free or have someone do it for them. Just look at Wikipedia and how they beg for money.

>> No.34818378

>>34818358
>mfw rms books on Amazon, even in kindle format

>> No.34818404

>>34818287
You should study the Final Cut Pro debacle which illustrates why closed-source software is not only bad but can ruin large parts of money-making industries by the decision made by the developers against their userbase.

>> No.34818411

>>34818344
>Not referring to the actual skill of cooking
There's tons of books and courses on programming and you don't see everybody writing their own drivers.

>> No.34818412

>>34818377
Look at RedHat and anything using BSD. You can profit very easily from free software.

>> No.34818425

>>34818360
When users don't control the program, the program controls the users. The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users. This nonfree or “proprietary” program is therefore an instrument of unjust power.

If you don't want a developer controlling your computer and your life, you must not install proprietary software to your computer.

>> No.34818432

>>34818358
>missing the point
You are free to distribute the information in the book however you like. What you are paying for is the actual physical copy (or digital in the case of amazon). There's nothing wrong with selling it, but it's wrong to restrict people from distributing that information however they personally would like.

>> No.34818436

>>34818411
Hence why it's still a shitty analogy.

>> No.34818443

>>34818377
No. There's many business models not built around directly selling software.

For instance, you could license the software as gratis to private individuals but make companies pay for it.

There's always the whole 'selling support' thing which works for RedHat and is getting close to working for Canonical.

>> No.34818477

>>34818412

I see a value in using free software.

I don't see a value in not using nonfree software just because you're against it... Especially when not using it has no actual effect on anything or anyone but you.

>> No.34818479

>>34818377
Making money by restricting copying for software only works because of copyright law (or perhaps contract law). If you change the business model from being a sole distributor to a program to a different model (software consulting) one can make a living in software without restricting users.

>> No.34818522

>>34818479

Liking free software and the idea of a perfect world with it shouldn't restrict you from using currently available nonfree programs.... Especially when you need them to run your system.

>> No.34818547

>>34818477
same as not buying from Walmart because you don't support them ethically.

less users for proprietary software means less proprietary software.

>> No.34818574

Only using nonfree software is like going vegan and hoping it will save the animals or effect anything.

Some people think too highly of themselves.

>> No.34818600

>gnu.org/help
>When you refer to the operating system that started as GNU with Linux added, call it GNU/Linux, and don't follow those who call it “Linux”. Once people are aware of what we have already done, rather than attributing it to others, they will support our present and future efforts more. This help takes very little of your time once you have unlearned the old habit.

wat

>> No.34818601

>>34818547

Not when there is no revenue to be made from it in the first place... Like a driver.

>> No.34818611

>>34818522
“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community to control the software. When users don't control the program, the program controls the users. The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users. You cannot have freedom when you choose non-free software because you choose to accept the restriction imposed by the developer.

If you accept the restriction, then OK, we can't help you with that. However, you should not be surprised when you are hurt as a result of the developer's control over your life since you have accepted this choice.

>> No.34818620

>>34817286
>Install debian in expert mode
>asks if you would like to use non-free software during the install

This is why it doesn't have the Grand Neckbeard's blessing.

>> No.34818635

>>34817215
We already knew all of this already, we will still continue to correlate gentoo with rms and other such things because it's funny.

>> No.34818642

>>34818600
>FIVE REASONS TO CALL IT GNU/Linux:
>1.
>2.
>3.
>4.
>5. please ;_;

>> No.34818670

>>34818574
Not really.

My girlfriend is a vegetarian(pescetarian) not because she thinks it will make a difference but because she does not like the way the animals are treated. As such, she doesn't want to be involved in any level of their mistreatment.

She will however eat fish and other wild caught animals or those that have been raised humanely.

She doesn't even mind that I eat meat.

>> No.34818673

>>34818642
1. It will make the rms-headed hydra get out of my room, attacking me.
2. Internet street cred
3. shit

>> No.34818680

>>34818642
It's confusion to conflate a GNU/Linux system as simply Linux. People have been referring to the Linux/Android system as 'Linux without Linux' because of this confusion.

>> No.34818694

>>34818611

I'll let you know the next time I feel oppressed when running photoshop.

>> No.34818706

>>34817955

SAGE THIS SHIT

>> No.34818725

>>34818694
>implying you aren't

>> No.34818728

>>34818694

I'm highly offended every time I see a Windows computer.

>> No.34818740

>>34818725
He doesn't FEEL oppressed.

>> No.34818774

>>34818740
Fair point.

>> No.34818776

>>34818642
1. Linux isn't a full operating system, you don't call OS by the name of their kernel
2. GNU is the original project for a free OS and one of the major reasons why the linux kernel is even free
3. Adding GNU to the name stresses that it's a social issue and not just a toy OS for nerds
4. rms will literally spam your mailbox if you don't
5. please ;_;

>> No.34818784

>>34817969
>doesnt into other cultures

>> No.34818813

>>34818740
>nvidia and ati make their drivers foss
>oppression
>oppression everywhere

>> No.34818826

>>34817156
>>34817168

Jokes on him ATI doesn't even exist any more.

>> No.34818838

>>34818776
>call ubuntu ubuntu
>fuck saying Linux or gnu

Hail corporate

>> No.34818840
File: 12 KB, 227x243, 1358110011138.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34818840

>>34818254

>> No.34818857

>>34818776
>using Linux
>not using NT 6.1

top pleb

>> No.34818868

>>34818826
I dunno why. I regularly refer to the company as either ATI or AMD.

>> No.34818884

>>34818784
literally everything is part of white american culture and if it deviates from that it's wrong. haven't you heard?

>> No.34818899

>be a freebsd user
>see this thread

Wow... Linux users waste a lot of time with dumb shit.

>> No.34818912

>gnu.org
>download button says "Download GNU now"
>not "Download GNU/Linux now"
>RMS in charge of not being a hypocrite

>> No.34818914

>>34818857
Enjoy your jail, figgit.

>> No.34818915

>>34818857
>Using outdated and proprietary kernel
Yeah you're right, you are a "top pleb".

>> No.34818922

>>34818838
That's what people do most of the time, I think that's the most reasonable.

>> No.34818928

>>34818899
Convince me that BSD isn't timewasting, and I'll try it. No, seriously.

>> No.34818940

>>34818914
What?

>> No.34818958

>Copyright (c) 2013 Richard Stallman Verbatim copying and redistribution of this entire page are permitted provided this notice is preserved.

Why isn't his work licensed under the GPL/GFDL? His website isn't Free, so I refuse to visit it again.

>> No.34818960

>>34818928

It is.


(just like Arch and gentoo)

>> No.34818966

>>34818377
>yfw rms used to charge about $150 for emacs in the 70's

and what you got was a floppy with the source code and build instructions.

>> No.34818991

>>34818958
Not what the GPL is for. You're thinking of the creative commons.

Anyway, he's never said artists or writers should have to do this.

>> No.34818992

>>34818966
The code was still free. It wasn't free as in free beer. It was free as n freedom.

>> No.34818993

>>34818958
The GPL is for software and both are forms of copyright.

>> No.34818996

>>34818958
>Verbatim copying allowed
>not free

>> No.34819010

>>34818996
You cannot change it -> it's not free.

>> No.34819027

>>34817092
>I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.

>> No.34819038

>>34818996
I should be able to modify and improve it.

>>34818991
>>34818993
I think you understand what I mean. The text he produced is not available under a Free/copyleft license.

>> No.34819047

>>34819027
he speaks about freedom

>> No.34819062

>>34818992
that's kinda what I was getting at. The anon I was responding to was perplexed as to how one can make money off free (freedom) sofware.

>> No.34819064

>>34819010
>>34819038
Uh, you can change it. If you do, it ceases to be RMS's work and it is now yours.

>> No.34819065

>>34819038
Content is different from code.

Same reason he only cares about game engines being free, not the textures.

>> No.34819087

Stallman is my waifu

>> No.34819147

archive nao

>> No.34819168
File: 1.65 MB, 1565x778, depreciated.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34819168

>> No.34819184
File: 250 KB, 846x960, 1339109066516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34819184

>>34819147

>> No.34819187
File: 47 KB, 640x453, 1346870548818.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34819187

>>34819147
>>34819147
>>34819147
>>>/b/

I want /b/ to leave.

>> No.34819191

>>34819168
He's still against ATI, though.

>> No.34819204

>>34819168
what is the 3th image?

>> No.34819210

I can't believe this guy is still pushing that "GNU/Linux" thing. I can't wait until I'm not glad he's dead, just glad he's gone.

>> No.34819211

>>34817092
ITT: neither stallman or the fags posting here understand why "install gentoo" is a meme and not actual advice.

>> No.34819219

>>34819204
>3th

Anyway it's wincest of some kind?

>> No.34819236

>>34819168
Batman one is hilarious.

His halo is still kind of awesome, honestly. I'd join the church of emacs.

Grand theft Gentoo/GNU is still stupid.

>> No.34819240

>tfw want to utoto but can't speak mexcan

>> No.34819243

>>34819211
We're all aware why it's a thing here. We haven't been discussing that for a long while.

>> No.34819245

>>34818219
>They asked his dissonance about using a Chinese made computer
That's such a bullshit question. Buying a computer from an American company that manufactures in China or buying from a Chinese company that manufactures in China, doesn't make a bit of difference

>> No.34819265

>>34819211
use "nor" not "or"

>>34819210
I see what you did there.

>> No.34819557

>>34819265
my fucking god!
as a non native speaker, i had to learn about "nor" but stopped using it because i thought i was taught wrong or some shit.
Does it really exist? No one is fucking using it

>> No.34819574

>>34819557
It's either or and neither nor.

>> No.34819581

>>34818857
>wow Windows has a kernel too!
yeah just wait 'till those Loonex plebes see that, they'll be jelly as fuck!

>> No.34819625

Archive this shit

>> No.34819659

>>34819625
>being this new
https://rbt.asia/g/thread/34817092
https://archive.installgentoo.net/g/thread/34817092

>> No.34819705

>>34819625
Why? RMS has said before that he didn't approve of gentoo

This thread is just a small nitch technology related, and it's really only about a freetard's opinion about software.

>BILL GATES LIKES THE WiiU, PLS STICKY OMG

>> No.34819718

>>34819557
If you want to be correct you should say "neither nor" and "either or," but many people don't bother in the case of "nor." It's similar to the distinction between "who" and "whom" in that it's often ignored in casual conversation.

>> No.34819989

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S vrms
error: target not found: vrms


Does this mean my distro is free?

>> No.34820063

>>34819989
>not using Debian master race based distro

>> No.34820111

>>34819989
No, it means your distro is completely proprietary, so it doesn't even have the free vrms package.

>> No.34820199

>>34819989
>pacman
Pleb detected

>> No.34820371

I want freetards to leave.

>> No.34820390

>>34820371
>/g/
>not using free as in freedom software

>> No.34820401

>>34820371
why you hate freedom?

>> No.34820489
File: 111 KB, 474x595, 1362347129494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34820489

>No non-free or contrib packages has been installed on debian! rms would be proud.
>rms
>proud of anyone using debian

>> No.34820506

>>34820371
>>34820401
why don't you both go your separate ways and be happy with the one life you've got?
sage anon can go play his vidya while freetard anon can live his life in privacy.

>> No.34820538

>>34817814
Do you know where I can find a RPM or source for vrms?

>> No.34820539

>>34820489
if you don't use nonfree packages then yes, he would be

>> No.34820558

$ vrms
Non-free packages installed on GlaDOS

libfaac0 AAC audio encoder (library)
nvidia-310 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU lib
p7zip-rar non-free rar module for p7zip

Contrib packages installed on GlaDOS

flashplugin-installer Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
nvidia-settings-310 Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ttf-mscorefonts-installer Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
virtualbox x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
virtualbox-dkms x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources fo
virtualbox-qt x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface
winetricks package manager for WINE to install software easily

3 non-free packages, 0.1% of 2095 installed packages.
7 contrib packages, 0.3% of 2095 installed packages.

It doesn't even detect steam and tf2.

>> No.34820569

>>34820506
>Why don't you people who are arguing just stop arguing

No. Fuck off nerd.

>> No.34820574

>I don't like Gentoo because they don't GNU/Linux
>implying GNU is ever gonna get the recognition rms wants

>> No.34820604

For Stallman it's easy to use strictly free software since he uses CLI only. I'm pretty confident he don't use WiFi or bluetooth either.

Hell, Stallman is stuck in 1970's computer science. Why is still relevant?

>> No.34820610
File: 30 KB, 338x300, 1335471168919.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34820610

>>34820558
>GlaDOS
THE CAKE IS A LIE!

>> No.34820641
File: 7 KB, 98x173, 1370961417865.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34820641

>>34820610

>> No.34820653

According to this
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
if I were to create a 100% free distribution, none of the software I currently use on my Fedora system would be included there. What the hell.

>> No.34820665

>>34820604
>Actually using wifi and bluetooth

>> No.34820670
File: 8 KB, 252x201, 80664131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34820670

>>34820558
>Nvidia
>rar
>Adobe Flash Player
>Microsoft Truetype

>> No.34820709

>>34820604
What is worse, he admits not knowing any modern programming language or even HTML.

He don't deserves to represent anything related to computers.

>> No.34820712

>>34817286
Because he has his panties in a bunch about the Debian devs giving you the freedom to install non-free software.

>> No.34820733

>>34820670
>>Nvidia
Need that for muh gaems. And I don't want my GPU to run hot and waste electricity.
>>rar
I don't like it either but people are still using rar for some reason.
>>Adobe Flash Player
Youtube.
>inb4 html5
Not supported with most videos and buggy.
>>Microsoft Truetype
Didn't even know about that one. Nothing I installed manually.

>> No.34820757

>>34820709
He knows LISP.
What need is there for anything else?

>> No.34820771

>>34820709
C is modern.

>> No.34820785

>>34820558
From what I understand vrms is specifically for Debian and checks to see if you have any of the non-free packages in Debian's repositories installed. I presume that's why it didn't detect your GAEMS

>> No.34820798

>>34817092
kek

>> No.34820829

>>34818282
>. Even getting Debian to call it gnu/linux was kind of a "ok we'll do that so leave us alone" move.
Nope, the Debian community is actually committed to free software.

>> No.34820839

>>34820709
>knows C and Lisp
>made some of the most useful programs today

Yeah what an autistic loser right?

stupid freetards!

>> No.34820855

>>34818282
You seem to be misinformed.

Outside of 4chan people actually take the FSF seriously (>>34820829).

>> No.34820869

>>34820839
He only made Emacs. And it's awful.

>> No.34820903

>>34820869
Emacs da best :D

and anime :D

>> No.34820934

>>34820869
1: emacs is th best
2: he also made gdb, gcc, and moar things

>> No.34820971
File: 100 KB, 635x525, gmPbL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34820971

>>34818670
>As such, she doesn't want to be involved in any level of their mistreatment.
Then she better stop buying commercial products completely, not to mention most of the things in our society have foundations on slave labor.

>> No.34820972

>>34820869
Emacs is great.

He started the most important software movement ever and got people to help him write software that you use unknowingly every day.

If there wasn't for Stallman, everything you know about computing would be very different.

>> No.34821057

>>34820489
His website server runs Debian.

>> No.34821795
File: 481 KB, 440x480, 10cbe5227554fb761dddaa481ba2a16d.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
34821795

>experimenting with debian 100% free
>icecat requires libc6 2.15
>have 2.13 installed
>apparently libc6 updates tends to break shit
>update
>nothing broke

>> No.34821857

>>34821057
Doesn't Debian have binary blobs?

>> No.34821921

>>34821857
nope, but they do have non-free and contrib repositories, which makes them evil.

>> No.34821933

>>34821857
Nope they removed all blobs from the kernel.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action