[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 2.16 MB, 4961x3508, brands.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9952639 No.9952639 [Reply] [Original]

What /fa/ thinks about Kenzo, Dior, Prada and such brands. Are they shit or OK? Tell your high-tier brands or whatever.

>> No.9952651
File: 25 KB, 576x432, puking bydlo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminds me off immigrant newspaper ads circa 2005

>> No.9952657

>>9952651
forget "circa" - any year

>> No.9952680

>>9952639
OK

>> No.9952730
File: 190 KB, 797x730, ss (2015-06-07 at 03.48.17).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it nice?

>> No.9952739

What's with Kenzo and that damn tiger face? An it always being super flashy.

It reminds me of that Ed Hardy shit

>> No.9952800

I have a fetish for Margiela, Paul Smith, Tom Ford, Bottega Veneta, Saint Laurent, and some other high-end brands.

I buy into brands because I buy into their stories. I like Margiela for its anonymity, minimalist/deconstruction philosophy, and the mystery behind its brand. I like Paul Smith because of its fun, silly twists on classic basics. I like Tom Ford for the glamour surrounding the designer itself. And so on and so forth.

I think designer products are generally of an extremely high quality, but I don't think you need to be dressed head to toe in designer clothes to be well dressed. I pair Margiela jackets with Topman shirts and Urban Outfitter trousers, and pair Tom Ford shirts with Banana Republic sportscoats and Pegabo shoes. Above all, fit and the appearance of quality matter to me.

Designer labels that are branded overtly are worthless to me. I think Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Prada products are hideous for this very reason. It's gaudy and screams nouveau riche.

>> No.9952830

>>9952800
I like Louis Vuitton. They're stores are so beautiful.

>> No.9952831

>>9952800
Yeah, but what about Saint Laurent?

>> No.9952854

I don't like obnoxious branding. That rules out most Italian houses and shit like Louis Vuitton.

I'm a big fan of Helmut Lang because his branding was always minimal and the quality was in small details that were not always visible to others such as the customary second waist button on his pants and the backpack straps in his jackets.

I like Margiela for the same unobtrusive branding and attention to detail. The mystery surrounding the man himself just makes the story even better.

I have a weak spot for Balmain, though I've liked Rousteing's collections less and less recently. He's got an overlarge hard-on for embroidered patches and gaudy '70's stuff. Decarnin era Balmain was goat. I've got a few Balmain pieces and they're all really well made. The quality is definitely worthy of the most expensive high fashion house, even if it's still not worth the prices they charge.

I'm not gonna comment on the quality of labels I haven't handled, not to mention many labels produce stuff of varying quality even within the mainline.

>> No.9952862

>>9952830
Louis Vuitton's stuff that isn't their "traditional" designs is nice. The monogram look is so played out and tacky, I can't stand it. Their newer looks, the ones that have an untraditional LV logo and contemporary designs, are lovely.

You should consider that old designer houses used to avoid displaying their logo proudly. Their products were attractive because they're were expertly crafted and of an extremely high quality. They used rare and difficult to obtain materials, and we're so expensive that they were exclusive to the upper classes of society.

All this changed when these small, previously privately owned family business got greedy. They became part of larger, public conglomerate companies, and focused on getting as much wealth as possible. This involved marketing themselves to the masses. While LV has high end products that are way out of the realm of lower end consumers, they also carry "entry-level" products that are attainable for lower-income families, e.g. Canvas bags and wallets. This is their bread and butter. They sell themselves on being exclusive and high-quality, but make their money off of easily purchased products that are of questionable quality. Anyone with a credit card and a couple pay cheques from minimum wage job can order a LV wallet, for example.
>>9952831
Saint Laurent makes a lot of cool menswear that isn't gaudy and overly labeled. I don't know their history, I just love their tailoring.

>> No.9952893

>>9952639
I genuinely and unironically like Galliano, VW and Nina Ricci.

>> No.9952897

>>9952893
The latter because of the perfume, forgot to add

>> No.9952947
File: 81 KB, 606x640, Louis-Vuitton-Petite-Malle-Souple-Bag-runway.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9952862

It's nothing new. Even during Jacobs' tenure, the collection bags and stuff were nice. It's just higher profile ever since Ghesquiere signed on.

>> No.9953152

>>9952862
my boy ghesquiere. but tbh its still nothing special, wish he had stayed with balenciaga