[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 138 KB, 1000x786, raf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9841988 No.9841988 [Reply] [Original]

Have any of you ever considered just giving up on fashion and going dadcore or rafcore (pic related)? I love fashion but I'm starting to realize how alienating it is as a hobby/interest if you're not actually in the industry or model-tier

>> No.9841991

How is fashion an alienating hobby?

>> No.9841995
File: 56 KB, 1000x800, 1397289775647.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

once I get over the excitement of "looking dope" ill probably go to pic related, but without the watch (ignore the term, focus on the clothes.)

>> No.9841998

>>9841988
no because im not a 16 year old baby going through dumb existential crises about my hobbies

>> No.9842000

You mean minimalistic? No, never thought about it.

Is Raf wearing normal Stans? Why would he even wear Stans to begin with? He has no standards when it comes to quality. I'm sure he knows CPs are a thing.

>> No.9842005

>>9841998
>16 year old
>baby
htf

>> No.9842008

>>9841991
Because only to a subsection of people in a city of at least moderate size will you experience any real appreciation for being "in fashion." Even big cities consider shit tier art school core and hipster chic "fashionable." Let alone the rest of America, and every high school and college. It's undeniable. (for Americans anyway)

I know this, so I just try to take the concepts from /fa/ and work them into my h&m/gq/uo/asos/artschool/high-school core personal fashion sense. That way I can feel sincere, fashionable, and popular all at the same time.

>> No.9842010

>>9842000
he obviously prioritizes silhouette and aesthetic over quality

>> No.9842012

>>9842008
Do you not care about distinguishing yourself from what the people around you are dressed like?

>> No.9842023

>>9842008
I very much do. It's a double edged sword, though. I have historically stood out significantly enough. Right now I live in a hick town, so "wearing clothes that fit" Is enough to make me appear faggy enough to sincerely hurt my professional relationships (shit tier factory).

But even when I was at college my personal style exceeded anything else. Was enough. When I am in a real city being "standard fashionable" doesn't work, you're right. We'll see what I do then...the only option is expensive. :(

>> No.9842027

>>9842008
The hobby is alienating because too few people you know follow it? I suppose. Admittedly, I sometimes wish my like-minded friends weren't only goth girls and guys looking to move away from t-shirts and jeans. But you don't need a weekend fashion social to delight in aesthetic objects. Nor do you need anyone's approval save your own.

>> No.9842028
File: 2.38 MB, 1208x1188, jake grantham and alan see.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9841991
I sold one of my friends a Margiela cardigan I didn't want anymore which he only bought because he recognized the name from rap songs. he asked me where I bought it from, so I gave him a link to Totokaelo and his immediate response when he saw the model and clothes was "is this supposed to be men's?" That's what I mean by alienating; its something that most people dont understand or care to understand.

>>9841998
I'm not having an "existential crisis about my hobbies," I'm just not sure fashion is really for me anymore; and I figured other people on /fa/ may have had the same thoughts before.

>>9842000
not necessarily minimalism, but just more traditional
>pic related

>> No.9842041

>>9842008
>consider art school core and hipster chic "fashionable."

The 60's 70's 80's fashion you retards emulate came art school core and hipster chic, not from a runway designer cutting penis holes in pants.

>> No.9842047

>>9842028
A lonely hobby isn't, by default, an alienating one. Now, if you're actively ostracized for your clothing wherever you go...okay, fine, fashion is alienating, but I really doubt that's the case.

>> No.9842074

>>9841988
I just dress in simple but clean, well-fitting outfits with nice sneakers. I'll then pick up a piece here and there that I truly love. I admire fashion but don't dump as much money into it as I'd like to because of other costs in my life. Sure, I have the money but I also enjoy many other things. Fashion's cool and exhausting but most definitely an interesting culture to follow.

>> No.9842169

>>9842074
/thread

just don't obsess over fashion?

>> No.9842263

>>9841991
It's hard to be effay with an uggo face and an average height
Am I wrong?

>> No.9842287

>>9842027
Lucky prick. Goth girls are non-existent where I live.

>> No.9842316

>>9841988
i don't think i have ever been fashionable in my life

or well dressed

i just buy random pieces i like from random fashion houses

never thought of it as a hobby

>> No.9842330

>>9842028
Lol your friend's an idiot.

But really though I don't think its alienating depending on your location. Its more about theres less people to talk about these things vs it being a hobby which makes you a recluse.

Which brings me to my next point why do people care about fashion? Those who do it for the sake of dressing better, gain some arbitrary form of street cred or to land some pussy soon will realize that their consumerist behaviour doesn't really get them anywhere beyond stunting. Its cheaper to buy a girl a drink and strike up conversation vs standing in the corner and blending in to the room cz you're wearing techwear. So somewhere along the line they drop the hobby cz it doesnt live up to their expectations (i'm highly generalizing here)

Some people like your friend do it to fit in a certain mold or social group. After that becomes last years news they most likely will also drop it and move on.

Artsy fartsy people who do it for the sake of an appreciation will very likely keep doing what they do cz its something they can value. Fashion is not a means to achieve something, it is the end goal. And i'm not talking about the snobs here, they probably fit in the first group more.

But i understand to an extent where you're coming from. Socially its not a big thing, not to mention the weird looks you get from your friends. I remember a time i casually mentioned fashion week was coming up to a friend who actually works in fashion and she gave me a look. Not to mention anytime i buy something new i'll deliberately lower my purchase price cz lets face it, if not everyone has an appreciation for it they wont understand why my IS pants cost $300 (and thats half retail)

>> No.9842338

Just don't be an autist and obsess about fashion. Read the WAYWT a couple times a week, look for inspiration.

>> No.9842364

>>9842028
>That's what I mean by alienating; its something that most people dont understand or care to understand.

It sounds like your boy just has a pretty limited conception of gender performance, which, w/e, as long as he's decent to gender nonconforming people who cares?

Lots of niche interests people don't understand or care to understand. I can go on about Cristobal Balenciaga for as long as a railfan could go on about the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits*, but that doesn't mean either that other people want to hear about it or that there's anything wrong with being passionate about it. Most people aren't alienated by you liking it**, they're alienated by you being a gadfly with it and not shutting the fuck up after five minutes.

And anyone who Has A Problem with someone liking something is terrible and you should want to alienate them.

>>9841995
People market this look as an omnibus, for-all-dudes do-a-certain-contemporary-class-and-I'm-into-fashion performance, but A) it guts itself, B) there's actually a very small set of people for whom those clothes make sense, and C) the clothes in the picture are all actually kind of horrible, though there's definitely a way to do it right.

>> No.9842366

>>9842364

What I mean by it guts itself is that anyone actually made to wear this kind of clothes would *never, ever, in a million years* be drawn to the idea of wearing something "forward-thinking, but hardly avant-garde," which with the bullshit taken out means "I think about my clothes but don't want to risk anyone's disapproval." Besides that that's just a ghastly attitude, the kind of people those clothes are for are people looking for a certain austerity and a certain hardness. They have taste and a feel for quality, and so they want it, but they do not want to think about their clothes and they do not want other people to think about their clothes.

Think, like, Steve Jobs, always in his custom uniform Issey black turtleneck and jeans.

*The company that ran the Orient Express; I Googled it.
** TBH, most people I meet are actually impressed by me being into fashion, more than other interests I have. People are generally into people being into things.

>> No.9842375
File: 37 KB, 400x396, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>he dresses for other people
>he dresses to get peoples attention
>he cares about other's opinions of the clothes he wears

Lmao are you still in high school?

>> No.9842389

>>9842375
Just like 90% of people here.

>> No.9842440

>>9842375
>he spends money for no tangible benefit

Lmao are you still a good goy? (Or basement dweller? I can't tell the difference here.)

>> No.9842632

>>9842375
> dressing according to memes is apparently the height of not caring what others think

fuccbois are this delusional

>> No.9842670

>>9841988
>Have any of you ever considered just giving up on fashion and going dadcore or rafcore (pic related)?
Nah. Fashion requires effort, sure, but so does fitness and achievement, neither of which I intend to give up either. Complacency is the first step to being that middle-America guy sitting in an okay house with a boring job having a midlife crisis because he realizes he could have been more.

>> No.9842725

>>9841988

>Have any of you ever considered just giving up on fashion?

Funny that. It's more difficult than you think it would be to 'give up' on it. Thing is, if you're doing it right you're getting an eye for cuts, shapes and colours whilst constructing outfits with a particular 'theme'. Not just buying expensive clothes.

For example, when I worked as a builder for a while I didn't want to wear my expensive day-to-day clothes, so I bought a load of shit from H&M and thought 'whatever, I don't need to look good'. When I was working I caught sight of myself in a window and realised I had constructed a decent fit out of cheap shit without notiicing.

>scoop grey tee
>baggy, ripped jeans turned up
>worker boots
>long open check shirt
>beanie

The fit of it all made it apparent I knew what I was doing to an extent. Even if you choose to spend less you won't really leave fashion behind. You'll still notice things and know what looks good.

>TL;DR you're here forever

>> No.9842766

I like a lot of different clothing from a lot of different styles. Usually I'll just wear a sweater or bomber with jeans and sneakers, or a shirt and loafers. Although, I can still appreciate things from Raf Simons and designers like that. I try to keep to a set style which is really sneakers / loafers / derbies with indigo or black jeans, and a shirt / plain tee / sweater / polo shirt. It just becomes conflicting when I like something from a totally different style.

>> No.9842777

>>9842670
Are you so dense that you think fashion is keeping you from having a boring life?
Trust me, fashion is the boring life.
Do stuff.

>> No.9842790

>>9841988

Rafcore is pretty good tbh.
I'm not going to give up on fashion, because I'm not fuccboi that buys shit internet tells him to buy just so he can brag about them to ppl that just don't care. I can dress nice, and still maintain other hobbies. I don't buy clothes to talk about them to other people ffs.