[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 59 KB, 600x420, clothes-shopping-600x420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9287731 No.9287731 [Reply] [Original]

Is it just me or does brick and mortar shopping seem next-to-impossible nowadays?

I went to central London to get myself a pair of plain black trousers. It's a fair journey which I seriously hate making... I don't live far but the trains and tubes are horrible especially going alone...

I went in Hermes, Selfridges and Liberty and ended up having to leave empty handed... Selfridges is one of the biggest stores in the UK yet they don't have any stock. They have like 2 racks of Rick. Ofc NO items you like are ever in your size then they make you stand around "checking the stock" which they never, ever have (do they honestly check stock or just go out back for a fag, come back and say there's nothing?). They had one pair of black trousers marked "36" from Lanvin. Thought it was my lucky day but turns out they meant 32 inch waist, not Italian sizing, so I was dwarfed. Went in Hermés, they had like 2 pairs of trousers and kept trying to sell me alternate colors and jeans (lol). I know these are exclusive brands and they don't want to crowd the shop floor but there has to be some way around it.

In almost all stores it's just rows upon rows upon rows of Alexander McQueen because nobody in the entire world buys it. I wasn't even looking at sales I was looking at full-RRP items and there was nothing. Go to Liberty and you will find like, one XL APC shirt on a rack then just tonnes of Kenzo and the worst items from random brands lol.

Now I go online and can EASILY find the items I want, the brands I like and the sizes I need. If it's Mr. Porter I can even find out the specific measurements so really, it seems like the pros of shopping online greatly outweigh the cons these days. There's a slight risk of getting something that doesn't fit, but at least you get SOMETHING. Really I feel like the only place worth going to in person is massive chain stores like H&M where they have 100000 of every product in every size...

Anyone else agree?

>> No.9287743

>>9287731
nah, you can feel the fabrics and try them on and stuff IRL

>> No.9287749

>>9287731
best way to shop is to go to boutiques and whatnot to feel stuff, try it on, get sizing right and then buy online for reduced price.

or buy instore if on sale

>> No.9287761

>>9287731

Yes. The range online of everything is much better except in a few cases.
I also hate most shop assistants, they are either useless, pushy or snooty. I never want to buy anything if a sales person is shit, I don't want it going on their commission.

>> No.9287765

>>9287743
Well I've never been surprised by the texture of a fabric so far. There are a few advantages as said but LUXURY shopping is a different thing altogether. I was out for 7 HOURS today, it's physically and emotionally demanding lol. I'm picking like 12 things off the rack waiting for a rep to give me a changing room. I swear I worked up a decent sweat and got some decent cardio going sprinting up the tube escalators so I didn't miss my train and have to wait another half hour.

>> No.9287793

>>9287761
I just do a runner from them. I tell them what I'm looking for and they legit bring me the entire warehouse of random products in colors I don't want. When they go out to fetch me the 5th batch of things I didn't ask for with giant branding and weird neon stitches in "discreet" places I quickly run to the next boutique.

Or when I say something fit me they instantly take it over to the till. Lol.

I was gonna buy Dior trousers but they were £460 and Hermés which is meant to be of elite quality is only £15 higher... The trousers felt nice but it was a big gamble when I'm not familiar enough with the brand to know if I'm better off elsewhere.

>> No.9287796

>>9287731
its christmas season you dolt, only the crap stuff is left

also, you get to feel fabric, see how it drapes on you, boss around sales associates, and see what complements the designer's vision since brand stores and stands in dept stores usually follow the old ralph lauren adage of showing the brand lifestyle instead of just the clothes

also, you get christmas gifts from associates if you arent a complete douche, which is always nice

so mostly theres a human aspect to it you dont get from shopping online

>> No.9287823

>>9287765
Is this a joke or...?

If you're serious, I've never been surprised by a fabric either. It's either fine or it's not, and you'd be surprised by the amount of shitty "luxury" clothes from well-known brands

And you can't try on clothes as easily at home

If you screw up the sizing, you have to return it

>> No.9287834

>>9287765
And who the fuck starts sweating just from walking inside a store? You might need to work on your cardio or something dude (if you're not trolling)

>> No.9287849

>>9287761
autism speaks, or u just shop at shit shops

>>9287765
>emotionally demanding
okay then

>> No.9287893

>>9287796
It's like it all year round, whenever I go, sale or not, holiday or not. Just like there's traffic 24/7. Everyone says go out early! Miss the traffic! Leave the house at 4 AM, TRAFFIC. I don't know how it happens but there are ALWAYS traffic jams here. I don't know why I have a car honestly.

>> No.9288636

>>9287893
Well if you live in London it's normal nigga.
>living in London
>having a car
>taking the underground for £4.90

Just walk, good for your cardio.

>> No.9288642 [DELETED] 

>>9287731
>I seriously hate making... I don't live far but the trains and tubes are horrible especially going alone...
this wouldnt have anything to do with niggers/muslims/immigrants would it op? of course not, they only enrich whatever society they're in :)

>> No.9288644

Normal retailers simply have nothing over online retailers, which is a real problem. One could say that you can try out clothes at a store, but the same applies for online purchases.

In fact, if you order something as a european you have two weeks to request a refund for no particular reason. You can basically think about whether or not to buy it, look at yourself in the mirror for an entire week. At a store the lightning is fake, you might not feel comfortable and they dont have to offer you a refund as soon as you paid.

People who work in sales arent neutral either. They try to sell you something no matter whether it looks shit on your or not. They are biased as fuck and vast majority wont give advice worth shit.

Online retailers have more stock, leave you more room to breath, arent biased, generally cheaper and forced to offer you a refund. Hell, even buying a suit on the internet makes more sense nowadays. Just bring it to a tailor afterwards.

>> No.9288646

>36"
uh

>> No.9288648

>>9288644
This. Stores need to come up with new, innovative concepts if they want to survive. Especially if you like in a big city, online purchases arrive between 24-48 hours.

>> No.9288657

>>9288648
Amazon's one-hour delivery service is going to start murdering stores