[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 34 KB, 441x455, 1390478563917.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9236743 No.9236743 [Reply] [Original]

“I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.”
I was reading Walden and found this quote. What does /fa/ think of it?

I read a lot of posts on here from people that talk about how fashion made them more confident and got them chicks, or about how superior they are to people that are dressed worse. Do you guys really believe that dressing better or different changes who you are? Or do you think that it just gives you a reason (legitimate or otherwise) to act differently?

tl;dr do the clothes make the man?

>> No.9236781

>>9236743

yes, but as much as /fa/ will deny it as long as you look like a normal person (re: slacks and a collared shirt) nobody gives a shit

>> No.9236784
File: 615 KB, 600x2004, 1390506599000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9236743
B-b-b-b-b-bump

>> No.9236812

>>9236743
>tl;dr do the clothes make the man?
In short, no not really. Like any aspect of how you conduct yourself, fashion has only a minor effect on its own. It's when you combine that with everything else, for example eating well, acting confidently etc. that you really change as a person. No girls are going to want to jump on the fat, unclean but well dressed autist in the corner. A healthy, socially competent and moderately well dressed person will always have more success.

That said, it can still have an effect on you. If you're a naturally insecure person but you think how you dress makes you look cool, even if no one else actually notices/ cares, that perception in your own mind can give you an extra boost that helps. Most of the time though I don't think girls really care much if you're in a $200 sweater or just a presentable one from H&M, and people who talk about how dressing better helped them bang tonnes of chicks are in reality probably just benefiting from a heightened self-image (assuming they're not full of shit).

>> No.9236852
File: 314 KB, 873x1200, 1396286429887.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9236781
Yeah I agree. I know /fa/ gets mad over this, but in hindsight I wish I had put my effort at self-improvement into something other than fashion because it's kind of a shitty and expensive way to go at it.

>>9236812
I agree that the heightened self-image is nice. But I'm not sure if it's really worth it compared to other ways of obtaining that self-image. Let's face it, a majority of /fa/ isn't composed of designer-wearing trustfund kiddies, and the time spent working to obtain expensive articles of clothing could be better spent working out, reading, or pursuing another hobby. I think that dressing well should be a kind of polish to a well-rounded person, not a foundation like how /fa/ uses it.

>> No.9236878

>>9236852
>I think that dressing well should be a kind of polish to a well-rounded person
Couldn't agree more. You could have the most indisputably dynamite fit ever conceived and it still wouldn't add as many self respect/ girl points as a toned, athletic body would. Thing is though, a lot of /fa/ is kids in university etc. with loans who aren't actually working for a majority of their money. If that's you then buying a nice jumper seems like a much easier alternative to grinding away at the gym if you want to improve your social performance.

>> No.9236890

beyond a certain level 98% of the population couldn't give a flying shit about how you dress or if you're walking around in nxtlvl gothninja shit, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just retarded

>> No.9236927 [DELETED] 

>>9236878
Lifting only

>> No.9236956

I see fashion as just art.

its not all about the girls in the slightest

if you are dressing just for girls in my opinion you are missing the point.

its more about self expression and creating something somewhat original. The people that dress the best are the ones that arent sheep to trends and needing others self approval( females or random niqqas on 4chan)

>> No.9236962

>>9236878
Lifting only grants you the healthy physique, and the self-confidence and "girl points" that come along with it. However, fashion may be considered a more "intellectual" pursuit. Habitualizing a constant awareness of those around you, discerning between the cultures of their clothing and manners, acknowledging the effects of certain materials and cuts on the eyes, these don't simply end with girls and self confidence.
It may be true that fashion is not the most effective form at bluntly "improving oneself", in terms of social respectability, but compared to simply exercising, it clearly allows for a far wider range of self improvement. In "practicing" fashion, one quickly becomes much more aware of the world he inhabits, and those of others.
That is to say, I agree with OP's quote, however "a new wearer of clothes" is not a reference to just social ability. As the term "fuccboi" implies, fashion is not simply the purchasing of expensive clothing. One can do so, but without having "learned", he achieves nothing.

>> No.9237215

>>9236962
Fashion has it's niche application, fitness is universal bud.

>> No.9237264
File: 35 KB, 960x695, 943295_609893172356819_558411456_n copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

a great majority of people have only a vague idea in their minds of what "dressing snappy" looks like, and no matter what you wear, to them you will only ever be snappy or not snappy. /fa/'s idea of fashion falls so far beyond their upper boundary of snappy that you will loop back around to not snappy again and they will just think you are weird. gotta "dress professionally" for an interview? as long as you hit the bases of a shirt with a collar tucked into slacks with leather shoes and a belt, you're gonna pass the test. maybe a tie if it's the kind of job where you sit down all day. dopeass ricks on your feet will only impress other people who know what dopeass ricks are - to everyone else you're gonna look like you grabbed some shit off the discount rack in the little boys section at your local everything store.

at this point in my life i'm ready to say fuck it and just buy like a dozen white shirts, some black ties, some brown pants, and fucking call it done. wear the same shit everyday, make sure my fit is on point, and rest easy knowing that literally everyone i meet in my day to day life (because people form /fa/ do not live where i live, trust me) will think i look snappy as fuck and that will be enough to make them respect me, trust me, and think i am sxe hott.

clothes do not make the man - but they make other people a lot more willing to believe you are the man. dadcore is a shortcut to appearing successful and responsible and that's what concerns me more than sick ricks bro

>> No.9237304

>>9237264
> /fa/'s idea of fashion falls so far beyond their upper boundary of snappy that you will loop back around to not snappy again and they will just think you are weird.

This really hits it on the head I think. Something as simple as a thread (see: contrast stitching) can decide whether or not something is fashionable while not saying anything to its function. Yes I appreciate aesthetics and fashion as an art form but it's so ephemeral that it's not an art form that any of us will ever catch in our jaws, however fast we snap them. I am similarly considering not buying anything for fashion. If I do buy any articles of clothing I plan on buying brands that I know are solidly constructed instead of buying solely for looks. That's not to say I'm going to go out and get bell-bottom seam-taped pants, but something conservative.

>> No.9237870

>>9236956
you i like

>> No.9239116

>>9236743
9 times out of 10 it's just guys with inflated egos wearing $300 tshirts that only the most dedicated fashion nerd would recognise as quality.

>> No.9239134

>>9236743
>dat buttplate
/fa/ as fuck #nxtlvl