[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 31 KB, 250x375, DD5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8340390 No.8340390 [Reply] [Original]

So /fa/ I went suit shopping yesterday and wow has shit changed.

No i'm not going to get a custom suit for two grand but I would like a wool or wool blend classic fit suit and that apparently is not easy. So much of what's out there is cheap shitty polyester and rayon. Not to mention it's all skinny cut stuff meant for homos.

What's your take on suits, /fa/? Do you like the homo suits? Do you not realize the value of a decent wool suit or do you have no idea about materials.

I hate to say it but after looking at 4 stores, (Dillards, Von Maur, JC Penny, and Nordstrums) I finally bought it online (which feels really weird to buy a suit online but I know my measurements and pray it fits accordingly)

Not to mention the customer service at all of this places isn't worth shit. It used to be better, half the fucking time I couldn't even find anyone in the department.

Or should I be shopping at trendy places? Everything is either cargo shorts and flip flops or tacky sport coats that are cheap and not properly cut and get wrinkled too easy cause of substandard shit.

in b4 brooks bruddahs.

>> No.8340423

>>8340390
im retarded with suits so anything posted here will be informative

>> No.8340494

>>8340390
Skinny cut is more modern, and generally more in style right now.

Trying to dress like someone out of mad men will just end up with you poor and looking retarded. Don't try to be #menswear #classy cause you'll end up looking like fedora-wearing autist. Also buying online is an awful idea, you should have gone to a dedicated suit store close to wear you live. That way you can get an actual person who's job it is to make you look good in a suit, get you into a suit that actually looks good on you. Its not usually cheap ($500+) but apparently this shouldn't be a problem for you because you "realise the value of a decent wool suit"

Also >implying everyone on /fa/ isn't homo

>> No.8340519
File: 203 KB, 452x318, greys.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm after a wool suit as well but I'm getting it tailor fitted.
I have in mind the charcoal suit Don wears often in season 4, first seen at the Christmas party where Lee Garner Jr shows up, I fucking love that suit. I think it's Don's winter suit mainly after that.

I am looking at 3 different colours right now.
Which do you guys think would look best, 1 and 2 look similar to me except that 1 is slightly darker.

>> No.8340540 [DELETED] 

>>8340519
Here they are again.

Pls help decide.

>> No.8340553
File: 145 KB, 493x165, greys2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340519

>> No.8340556

>>8340494

Dedicated men's stores are few and far between. Unless you're going to some shitty ethnic suits fell off the back of a truck place meant for bouncers and limo drivers or your tuxedo shops, they are just not what they once were.

The stores only seem to have a limited selection. It's great they have a 48 regular but I'm not a giant ass fat fuck. They may or may not have the suit I want in my size, fit, color, and material but they won't have all the qualifications.

Not so much looking like mad men but a 2 button gray suit is pretty timeless. It's not like I'm going to wear a skinny tie and chain smoke out of the 1960s.

Also >not implying everyone on /fa/ isn't a homo. Cause I'm flat out saying it. You guess stereotypically know how to make omelets and dress well.

>also failing to understand the difference between "value" and value.

>>8340519
I'm sure I'll have to take mine to a tailor to get adjusted. Very rarely can you put on a suit and it fits like a glove. But tailor made is a whole different story.

Either 1 or 2. Just watch out for Lee, that guy is kinda gey.

>> No.8340559
File: 31 KB, 664x370, don-draper-test-drives-a-jaguar-at-christmas-L-Lzydn8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340519
>>8340553
This is the kind of look I'm going for so will probably go with no. 1 since it's the darkest and most mysterious. I do like no. 2 though because it's a little lighter, 3 is a little blue as well which is nice. Tough decision, it's why I need your help.

>> No.8340568
File: 41 KB, 531x411, ht_mad_men_100112_main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340556
>Just watch out for Lee, that guy is kinda gey.

True dat.

>> No.8340575

>>8340390
>Buying a wool suit in June
I hope you live in the southern hemisphere.
>Calling a modern slim-tailored cut a "homo suit"
Suit for the decade you're in, not the one you wish it were.

OP, I fear you're a bit too supreme-gentleman to pull off a suit in today's #menswear world. You are not John Hamm, don't dress like him.

How much did you spend on your suit in the end? Where was it produced?

>> No.8340584
File: 7 KB, 227x227, 1391775323974.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340559
>Most mysterious

Oh, so you're trolling.

>> No.8340589

I have one off the rack suit, it's kind of shit but the blazer fits well enough, trousers not so good. All I can say is, if you can go for short jackets rather than the regular jackets, I always found that the arms fitted like shit and the jacket too baggy with regular jackets.

>> No.8340597
File: 71 KB, 500x365, 156406639_583820a9ef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340584
Not even trolling. It's the right word, it has the mystery of blackness to it but it's not a black suit, therefore it's mysterious. What did you think I meant?

>> No.8340606

>>8340597
I typically just assume anyone who factors mystique and intrigue into fabric choice is trolling.

Ya'know, on account of how ridiculous that is.

>> No.8340622
File: 7 KB, 100x101, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340556
You're seriously too stupid to know how to make an omelet?

>> No.8340646

>>8340575

It's Jon Hamm

It's a light colored suit. I currently have a black pinstrip suit and while it looks great with a heavy great coat in the winter, I would like a summer/seasonal option.

Some third world country. The thread count has gotta be high cause all those child labors have little hands. Even if I got some suit out of Italy, it's still gonna be made by illegal North Africans, it's a small world, friendo.

I disagree with your "suit for the decade" I don't feel bad for the mother fuckers with parachute pants and whatever shit came out of the 80s/90s.
>All those mother fuckers who dressed like they were straight out of Miami Vice in the 80s.

People one day will look back in disgust and say "did I really wear skinny jeans and suits that were too tight because that was what was "in style"
>>8340622
Are you seriously THAT gay? Besides, I like my eggs scrambled.

>> No.8340663
File: 84 KB, 591x703, mm201d-main1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you guys think of the brown suit?

Not the Ken Cosgrove Accounts light brown/beige but the Don Draper brown suit he sometimes wears. It seems really sombre and 2deep5u vibe, not sure what vibes you guys pick up from the brown suit but I get that from it at least.

>tfw brown trousers with black shoes rule breaking

>> No.8340679

>>8340646
You like them scrambled because you're too retarded to cook them any other way, aren't you? Can you tie your own shoes? I really hope you're not a troll.

>> No.8340682
File: 4 KB, 74x64, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340679
Forgot pic

>> No.8340688

>>8340646
>It's Jon Hamm

Holy shit, for somebody who is acting rather sanctimonious toward homosexuals, you sure seem to have a mighty need for Hamm's proksword.

The bottom line is, any time you ever attempt to dress like any TV or movie persona, you'll look shitty nine times out of ten.

Non-tailored suits are not stylish. They haven't been, and likely won't be for a very long time. When people are saying that they can't believe they wore skinny jeans, they won't desperately cling to skinny jeans. They will wear what is in style at the time.

>> No.8340729
File: 15 KB, 298x351, 041124_brokaw_vmed.widec.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340688

>Holy shit, for somebody who is acting rather sanctimonious toward homosexuals, you sure seem to have a mighty need for Hamm's proksword.

oh boy, here we go. Look you guys already get more parades than the irish and puerto ricans combined.

You might have me confused with the guy posting other mad men stuff, I simply posted the first one with my original post because it was a guy in a suit. Also it happens to be a non black suit, which is what I purchased.

pic related, the other photo of a guy in a suit I have. Didn't want to post it or you all might be thinking I'm trying to be like Tom Brokaw.

My suit will be taken to a tailor for adjustments and fittings, i.e. pants shorted or sleeves lengthened out. It just won't be entirely made and created by a tailor, custom made for mai body. I work for a living, my job requires me to wear a suit sometimes but I am not a big law firm or for that matter 1960s advertizing account man, I do not need nor can afford a one of a kind custom suit as is the case with the majority of Muricans in the history of ever.

There's instyle and then there is the men's department. You want the latest in summer fashions, shop at Lane Bryant. Regular jeans, flannel shirts, dress shirts, sweaters, by and large suits, while there have been variations, they are all mainstays through the years

>> No.8340731
File: 30 KB, 240x249, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>JCPenneys
>Classic fit
>skiny jens n omlets r gey

This is a troll thread. Please sage or abandon.

>> No.8340904

>>8340731

Crazy as to what passes as a troll thread around here, though I would enjoy some skinny jens.

>> No.8341262

>What's your take on suits, /fa/?

I'm somewhat athletic so finding a suit that fits in some casual store is next to impossible. I can't yet afford to go bespoke and stuff (and I'm still making some gains so this would be a waste of money).
People on here usually hate Hugo Boss for its lack of quality and general third reich stuff, but they usually offer suits that fit me almost perfectly after slight alterations and that look somewhat modern and almost too "fashionable" for daily business.
I'm a computer science guy though - people neither expect you to wear clothes that fit or to be athletic

>> No.8341270
File: 44 KB, 300x400, penn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8340390
>Not to mention it's all skinny cut stuff meant for homos.
Fatty detected, into la basura.

>> No.8341290

Jesus christ what is this thread

Just get Brooks Brothers. You're obviously clueless about everything but they a.) are pretty good b.) are more traditional (in fact I think their suits are boring, great shirts tho) and c.) provide all the suits for mad men

>> No.8341300

>>8340390
What do you have against brooks bros

>> No.8341471

>>8341300

What do I have against spending $1,500?

>>8341270
no, broad shoulders and 155lbs. I just don't like the way your homo suit panties bunch up on me.

next time be more like teller and less like pen..

>> No.8341481

>>8340575
>Buying a wool suit in June

Hence the widespread popularity of tropical wool.

>> No.8342174

>>8340390
Faggot.

>> No.8342517

Fuck is wool expensive these days. I'm looking to upgrade for synthetic blends to naturals.

I've got my shirts - all cotton, slim cut (It's nice not having to back tuck a circus tent because I have a more athletic build).

So don't dismiss Slim cut shirts - they're meant for men who still have upper body strength, but without a beer belly.

Skinny cut is just plain giving up, though. It's like saying "I will always have the body of a 15 year old"

>> No.8342526

>>8342517
The problem with slim cut shirts in my opinion is that they're uncomfortable wear all day long.

>> No.8342864

>>8342174

no u.

>> No.8342896

>>8340390
Check out Trunk Club, FiveFour, or Bombfell if you're too lazy to dress yourself.
You'll consult with a stylist over Skype or something and they can help you pick out shit.

>> No.8343187

>>8342896

> lazy to dress yourself.

I'm wearing clothes now.

It's not a question of lazy, it's a question of finding good quality classic menswear at a fair price. Not about if I should the pink or the mauve shirt and with what tie.

The days of "you're gonna like the way you look are over" It's apparently now just wear what is /fa/shionable because if you don't conform to a 100% polyester skinny cut suit you are obviously fedoracore

>> No.8343346

>>8342526
If it's uncomfortable, then you're probably the wrong body shape.

The only discomfort I've had is when some goofy pretentious brand sticks the size tag on the collar where the carotid artery would rest.

Yeah, thanks for that. Not it itches all fucking day.

>> No.8344289

>>8340390

>i'm not going to get a custom suit for two grand
>Not to mention it's all skinny cut stuff meant for homos
>Do you like the homo suits

OP confirmed for a poor, fat, closeted homosexual.

>> No.8344404
File: 73 KB, 500x399, gran_torino.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8344289

Thank you for your valued imput towards my initial question regarding men's business wear. While I am none of the above, I was trying to connect with my readers such as yourself. This being the internet, perhaps I should have been more politically correct so nancy boys such as yourself didn't get their panties in a twist.

Fuck it's hard being a straight man in the 21st century who gives a shit about the way he looks. I don't have 27 pairs of shoes but I'd like a good suit to be buried in, Why is that so fucking hard for you to comprehend?

>> No.8344435

>>8343187
Go to a suit store.
Ask them about suits.
Have them measure you and tailor a suit.
Buy the suit?

>> No.8344487

>>8344435

we're going in circles. you just don't get it.

I live in a community of half a million. The top 3 google results for "suit store"

1. Sporting goods
2. Burlington Coat Factory
3. JC Penny

Suit stores are just not all that common and the ones that are there cater towards the service industry looking for a cheap suit - think club bouncer, limo driver, etc

The rest of the places, no longer have the customer service that is anything beyond a warm body to fill a department. It's all about bottom line today. Why would you pay a man who knows about menswear double when you can pay a stay at home mom looking to log a few part time hours in at minimum wage

I know my measurements. No not fatty.

>> No.8345281

>>8344487
Those websites can be fairly expensive. ~$500 for a full outfit.
It matters more on how the suit fits on you and not the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Esquire-The-Handbook-Style-Looking/dp/1588167461/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402528249&sr=8-2&keywords=suit+handbook
If you care to read about suits and stylings.
I feel like it's fairly informative, but Idk.

>> No.8346265

>>8340729
>that fuckign tie as wide as his shit eating grin