[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 22 KB, 350x234, DL-fabric-rolls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8212988 No.8212988[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

i saw a few fabric-related threads so i guess i'll just post this thing that i wrote up about fabric, uses, and properties of them. questions about fabric and etc in clothing and whatnot go here as well!

most of the clothing that you purchase is made out of either cotton, linen, rayon (and it's other synthetic fibre friends), silk, wool, or bamboo. for this series of posts, i'm going to consider using fabrics as for topwear purposes, but yeah you get the gist of it. i'm not going to talk about weaves though (aside from when i'm talking about linen)!! that's a whole different story!!!

disclaimer: please don't take every word for what i'm saying though, i might be wrong. and feel free to contribute!

>> No.8212998
File: 47 KB, 900x560, cotton-boll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8212988
[copypasted from my previous post on the basics thread]
>COTTON

the quality of cotton is based on measurements for fiber length, strength and length, micronaire (a measure of the cotton's fineness), color grade, color reflectance (luster), color yellowness [copypasted from wikipedia]. there are also many different types of cotton as well, being: american upland (what you normally find in stores), american pima (high end clothing cotton), egyptian (what you'd expect for quality bedding), and sea island.

basically if you're talking about ranking, sea island is top tier, and american upland is pleb tier.

>american upland
what you'd find in h&m, uniqlo, etc. most common cotton there is due to inexpensiveness to produce. texture is roughest compared to the rest of the cottons out there, and is often gone under mercerization (to increase luster) to create a more exquisite effect. if anything says "made out of cotton", assume that it's made out of this. don't get your hopes up.
>american pima
what you'd find in higher end stores. there are six grades of pima cotton, and the higher the grade is, the more yellow and luster it has. i don't know much about pima cotton so if anyone knows about it, please contribute!
>egyptian
what you'd find in higher end stores as well. cotton will get softer over time, and often has a high thread count -- meaning that the strength of the fabric itself is quite strong. it's breathability is also quite high.
>sea island
finest and most expensive cotton available, and is often mixed with silk. what you'd probably find in high-end tailoring or clothing. again, i don't know about this type of cotton so please contribute if anyone knows anything about it!

don't be turned off if a product is just made out of upland cotton. higher-quality products tend to have cotton blends so that's fine! plus being able to touch the product can easily give you an indication whether if the product is quality or not.

>> No.8213008
File: 38 KB, 508x423, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8212998

>LINEN
summer's best friend! originating from flax plants, this fabric has been with human civilization for ages. compared to cotton, it has the strength of 2-3 times of cotton (making it less easy to rip), and it is smoother. however, it wrinkles pretty easily, and doesn't have as much elasticity to it.

as for textures, cotton is softer and fluffier, whereas linen is quite smooth, and a bit coarse compared to cotton. linen also feels cool because of it's breathability, that's why it's popular for summer wear.
it also dries pretty fast.

since it is very durable, linen is typically used for household appliances -- however, you can find linen clothing as well! linen is distinguished by their weaves rather than their types. here are some of the many weaves of linen:

>sheeting linen:
linen to be made in sheets to be sewn into clothing for people like you and me :) mostly used for suits and other tailor-made stuff.
>loosely-woven linen:
highly absorbant compared to different types of linen. finer clothing objects are made out of this.
>cambric linen
woven delicately and soft to the touch. thinnest and finest of the linen there is, mostly used for women's accessories.

>> No.8213016
File: 46 KB, 450x520, textile-31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8213008
>RAYON
rayon is a man-made fabric, made out of plant cellulose. it could also be called viscose, modal, and lyocell. the draping of rayon is often compared to nylon, and is often soft, smooth, and comfy. rayon is also comfortable for summerwear since it does not insulate body heat. the fact that it is manmade can also make it have many different types of textures, or sheens to them as well.

however, durability of rayon is low, and has the lowest elasticity out of any other fibre there is around. there are three types of rayon, viscose rayon, cuprammonium rayon, and acetate rayon.

>viscose rayon
most common of the rayon types out there. pretty much everything i have to say about viscose rayon you have read already above.
>cuprammonium rayon
this is a finer type of rayon, likening it to silk. it has all of the properties of cotton, aside from elasticity.
>acetate rayon
very delicate, but is similar to viscose rayon.

ALSO RAYON IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO WASH AND TAKE CARE OF SOMETIMES

>> No.8213031

>>8213016
>SILK
some notable differences between the types of silk that are available is within the types of worms and what they are eating! thanks to our little bug friends, we have really soft and strong threads. types of silk include: mulberry silk, tussar silk, eri silk, and muga silk.

>mulberry silk
most common of the silks out there -- you can easily tell if a silk product is from mulberry silk if it shines. lightweight and smooth, it has a natural sheen.
>tussar silk
duller compared to mulberry silk. it is commonly blended in with other fibres to create new blends of cloth. these silks are highly textured as well, creating an ornate effect.
>eri silk
can be blended with other fibres as well. commonly used in accessories, it could gain more sheen as it is being washed.
>muga silk
has the most luster compared to all of the other silks. muga silk is the most ornate and has the highest price compared to all of the other silks.

>POLYESTER
commonly used in fabric blends, this synthetic fabric is pretty resistant to organic and mineral acids, but then gets soiled easily from wear. shrinkage would happen naturally in polyester products, which should be considered.

>> No.8213056

do i know you

>> No.8213057

>>8213031
>BAMBOO
there are three types of bamboo fibres -- pure bamboo, bamboo charcoal, and bamboo viscose. bamboo products are starting to get popular now, and is a tier up from cotton products, having the equivalence of quality of pima-tier cotton. bamboo fibre overall is super durable, and malleable. it could easily absorb moisture as well.

>pure bamboo
has high tensile strength, meaning that the fabric is very durable. however, high costs affect this type of fabric, making the fibre less accessible to everybody.
>bamboo charcoal
most commonly used out of all of the bamboo fabrics, bamboo charcoal goes under a long manufacturing process. the outcomes of this product include making its strong absorption capacity better. alongside this, it also has strong anti-bacterial properties, making it a popular choice for innerwear and underwear products. however, bamboo charcoal is only available in grey tones.
>bamboo viscose
similar to rayon, but also has a few of the properties that bamboo charcoal has.

>> No.8213060

its like sewing class in hs all over again :D

>> No.8213066

i appreciate this

>> No.8213071

>>8213057
>WOOL

thanks to our sheep and our other furry friends, we have many different types of wool! cashmere and mohair from goats, and angora from rabbits. wool is obviously known for its insulating properties, and its ability to blend in with other fabrics as well. it is water resistant, keeps moisture away from the skin, and is a breathable fabric. acrylic is a close contender as a synthetic alternative to wool, but nothing beats the real thing!

this is a pretty handy site to start learning about wool types: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/wool-guide/?showlocalization=True

i'm not going to type out everything about wool, but this is a good starting point!
anyway i'm done with my long posts for now, thank you for tolerating them (bows)

>> No.8213074

>>8213060
this

fucking terrible

>> No.8213174

pls continue

>> No.8215290
File: 255 KB, 374x499, tumblr_m4xfxmFpxS1qc65w1o1_400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is good information that fa doesnt appreciate mang

if this was a sticky page it would be extra double helpful.

>> No.8215387

>>8213071
Appreciated.

>> No.8215391

>>8213074
don't be a shitter, anon.

>> No.8215396

>>8213074
>tread dedicated to learning about fabrics
>fucking terrible

>tread dedicated to af1 and shitty rappers
>this is the best shit ever all you guys are hating on this superior fashion

>> No.8215462

>>8212998
>being able to touch the product can easily give you an indication whether if the product is quality or not.
i do this everytime i go shopping and i feel that people look at me like if i were some retarxded cunt but fuck em, they dont know shit about clothes

>> No.8215468

>>8213071
thnks m8

why cant we hae more threads like this?

>> No.8215547

>>8215468
it's difficult because it's very much a one time resource

talk about experiences with using certain fabrics for diy shit, problems you've encountered with washing, what fabric should be used more for what?

i feel like there should be a lot more merino woolblend underwear and socks than there are on the market, the smell prevention and quality is really desirable

>> No.8215556

>>8213074
>thread about fabric on a fashion board is terrible
eie

>> No.8215567

I enjoyed this very much. Could someone screen save this? Thanks.

>> No.8215570

how do you keep jeans without fading? should i washe them by hand, just a quick rinse with water? or just not wash them at all, i can have unwashed heans for like weeks een if i wear them evveryday

>> No.8215591

>>8215567

qko has the text saved and is thinking about adding it to the sticky somehow, if we can figure out how to get to that lol

>> No.8215602

I like this thread, I have a cotton, bamboo blend and it is one of the favorite fabrics I have purchased.
More insight on different weaves plz, specifically the weave they use on hats? is it? some sort of canvas twill?

>> No.8215605

>>8215567
i already saved it as a document in case anyone wants it! hopefully the sticky would be re-done and this would be included in it as well

>>8215570
wash them inside out with the same colors, don't use bleach on them, don't put them in a dryer (line dry them), etc. sounds straightforward but you get the gist. or just hand wash them if you want to take care of them

>> No.8215613

>>8215605
ok thanks, i washe them in a regular washer and use a black detergent that supposedly takes care of black clothes, i dry them in the sun, maybe thats the problem

i got a pair that faded into some sort of whiteish black, i kind of like it and the seams look whiter than the rest

>> No.8217108

>>8212988
This information is definitely worthy of being stickied. Great job all around buddy.

>> No.8217121

>>8215605
could u upload it if youre still here?