[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 24 KB, 236x354, 1393826562045.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7880787 No.7880787[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

hey /fa/, I wanted to discuss style. 'style'. Ive always wondered about this, and what an individual's style is. I personally do not attempt to lock my self into one style (goth ninja, dadcore, emo, preppy etc). I often wear different clothes and sometimes one day after the other I will have a completely different look. For instance one day I might wear a white shirt with purple/red checks, off white shorts and boat shoes. The next day I could wear black drop crouch cuffed cargo chinos, with a black tall tee and black high tops. Obviously the two outfits look drastically different, and incorporate different 'style'

Do you think this is a bad thing /fa/? Having eclectic style and inspiration in fashion, or do you prefer to stick to a particular style for an amount of time and go through phases?

>> No.7880806

its not an inherently bad thing if u can afford it

but sometimes its expensive to have to buy different garments for different styles, for example some pants or shoes or jackets w/e will only mesh with a certain style and as a result force you to buy more clothes

>> No.7880813

>>7880787
Imo smooth transitions and constant fine tuning to what is perfect for you

Sounds like u have identity problems imo

>> No.7880929

>>7880787
I would not say either of those outfits amount to having a 'style'. I think you are simply following two different established modes of fashion.

"Fashion" by its very definition is a popular trend/an established manner of doing something. I think style, or having style, is the very opposite of fashion. Having a style, in my opinion, is taking fashion and tweaking it, doing something different or 'wrong' with it. Simply jumping between various veins of fashion does not really equate to having a style.

To answer your question, I do not think what you are doing is bad in the least, but I think if your goal is to eventually cultivate a personal style, you should explore more creativity and originality within your outfits. This is not to say you aren't doing that already, but I am basically trying to give more of a general statement/opinion.

>> No.7880940

>>7880787

Yeah that's called being a fashion victim and not being self aware

>> No.7880980

>>7880929

Bad argument and you don't understand what Fashion and Style are.

They are not mutually exclusive. Fashion implies a trend, the industry, what is relevant in the zeitgeist. It is the designers, the collections, and the clothing.

Style is how people choose to use fashion - how they wear it.

> I think style, or having style, is the very opposite of fashion. Having a style, in my opinion, is taking fashion and tweaking it, doing something different or 'wrong' with it

This is just wrong

You can have a "fashionable" style, dressing in a way that is accepted in the mainstream as looking good. Fashionable Style vs. Unique / Unconventional Style is what you're confusing.

>> No.7880987

>>7880929
All on /fa/ read dis. We are all a little guilty of this though.

I think this thread has potential, so I'll breathe some life into it by posing these questions:

-How would one begin creating his/her own style?
-Does one need to have basic knowledge of colors and silhouettes?
-Is tailoring necessary to have decent clothing?

>> No.7880998

>>7880980
I think he meant having a personal style does not include adhering to basic fits, with little to no planning put into it.

>> No.7881000

>>7880987

Really uneducated / dumb points of discussion

1. Research / irl Trial and Error
2. Yes fucking obviously
3. No this is such a dumb and vague question like wtf kind of question is this it's just a bunch of incoherent words together

>> No.7881005

nothing worn w/ wearing wildly different fits if u can afford it and pull it off but those fits sound awful
post them

>> No.7881014

>>7880998

Regardless of what you think he "meant" the points he made in that post are just wrong

Also that's wrong anyways, your personal style can be basic, personal style doesn't imply that it needs to be unique or above the norm

>> No.7881028

>>7881000
Nice trips buddeh. But who shoved a dick up ur bum m9?

Just trying to get some discussions going, I know the answers to the obvious questions, however somebody else might make an interesting observation or have some input on the matter.

>> No.7881037

>>7880813
or is he familiar that as a human being it makes sense to have wear different styles instead of autistically trying to fit some sort of notion of what you think your style needs to be

>> No.7881042

>>7881028

Well those were some pretty terrible attempts at starting discussion

You pretty much asked "Do you need to know about fashion to be good @ fashion?" and I don't even know how I should comprehend that last question, what does that even mean

>tailoring
>decent

pls learn what tailoring means

>> No.7881047

>>7881014
Yeh, I see where you are coming from; however, you cant just throw on basics and say "look, is my stlye kek."
If you have a developed style, certain basics (whether its the color/pattern/texture/fabric) will "speak" to you, and you will want to purchase it and then wear it.

>> No.7881069

>>7880980
Come on, I don't think it's fair to say my argument is 'bad' and I do not know what fashion and style are.

I'll defend myself by saying that I have a fundamentally different definition of the word 'style' than you. You seem to be under the impression that style is "how people choose to use fashion." I disagree with this, I think that style demands a great degree of originality and breaking away from accepted modes of fashion. We look at the designers that we hail as impressive because they decided to take an interesting turn in their creative designs, often doing something never done before, ie. they have 'style'. Fashion is the replication of these novel styles and their infusion into the mainstream.

To be honest, I do not think we are in as much disagreement as you think we are.

>>7880987
To create one's style, I think it is just a matter of time for an individual to develop something original, as long as he/she isn't afraid to express themselves in an honest and creative way. To put it more practically, I think most people will simply follow fashion trends that they like, but will eventually start to do it in a way that expresses a personal flair before evolving over time into something uniquely 'you.'

Basic knowledge of colors and sillhouttes isn't crucial by any means in my opinion, but can surely help. And as far as tailoring, I'd do it as necessary. I know people who have all their clothes tailored, which is a bit unnecessary if you ask me...

>> No.7881074

>>7881042
You're right, I should have made it clearer: Should one buy clothes and then have them tailored(whether its tapering pants or fixing a fit on a shirt), or buy clothes tts?

Also, tlk shit strt bttr discush.

>> No.7881093

>>7881047

No you obviously don't see where I'm coming from. You are just plain wrong.

I will say this again, style =/= being different than the norm. Yes you can throw on basics and say that it is your style. Basic style.

>>7881069

>fundamentally different definition of the word style

Dude it doesn't matter what you think it means, there is a widely accepted definition of the word and you are trying to say that it means something else. Perhaps you should use a different choice of words then.

You are just plain wrong and I don't know how else to put it.

>>7881074

It all depends on what the person is trying to achieve, there is no straight yes / no answer and is why I said the question is stupid, it's like basic human knowledge

>> No.7881125

>>7881093
I don't think the definition of style I gave is deviant from the widely accepted definition of the word. I am sorry if you disagree, but claiming I am plain wrong without intelligent counter-arguments doesn't say much.

(And the fact that you're just telling everyone they're wrong in all your comments kinda makes you come off as an unintelligible, stubborn, close-minded jerk with no valid or substantiated opinion. Just saying.)

>> No.7881135
File: 98 KB, 800x559, how-to-be-a-man-cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7881125
And for anyone who wants a great read on fashion/style... I highly recommend this.

>> No.7881152

>>7881093
>you are just plain wrong
>you are just plain wrong

kek

please have a substantial refuation

>> No.7881186

>>7881125

Style literally means a way of doing something, and does not imply that the manner in which something is done / presented HAS to be unique / different.

Someone like Jil Sander has a minimalistic signature style, and by your definition her work would be too "basic" to be considered a style

Dude, there is no "intelligent" counter argument to make. You do not understand what the word means. There is nothing to explain.

I am telling you guys that you are "plain wrong" because this is such a simple concept to understand yet you guys still don't get it and I honestly have no idea how to make it simpler for you guys

>"Fashion is the context that we live in, the trends that cycle in and out. It is the industry, the magazines, and the advertisements that form the dominant paradigm. Style is what we choose to do with it. " - Monica Miller

>"To participate fully in fashion one must accede to the prevailing trends which are the consequence of a critical mass of consumers. Of course there is always the possibility of editing and modifying the menu of fashion options to one’s personal taste, but to be fashionable is in the end to participate in a consensus. Style for the individual on the other hand is necessarily a series of subjective preferences and decisions that can range from a complete concession to la mode or a move toward an individual expression that, in its extreme, ignores or even rejects prevailing fashions." - Harold Koda

>series of subjective preferences and decisions that can range from a complete concession to la mode or a move toward an individual expression
>series of subjective preferences and decisions that can range from a complete concession to la mode or a move toward an individual expression

Do you understand now? I am saying the same thing over and over, how can you not understand this

>> No.7881206

OP here, went to have a shower.

Interesting discussion for sure. When I made the examples it wasn't me trying to impress you with my 'style' or superior fits, it was just giving an idea of two different types of fashion.

What I mean at its core is not a discussion about what style is and what dictates style and even creating your own style (not really possible in todays day and age, unless you want to look like an autist walking down the street).

I merely meant what does /fa/ believe of swapping and changing between different streams of fashion or 'styles'.

For instance we all know what a preppy fit looks like same as we know what a gothninja fit looks like or a menswear one. But what does /fa/ think about changing these fits from day to day? One day dressing with a dadcore fit and then the next having a much more street look such as gothninja.

We weren't all born goofninggas, the same as how the majority of us would have dabbled in what is known as 'dadcore' or a mature male style. But how often do we implement different streams of fashion into our wardrobe and day to day fits? Do you swap day to day, or go through lengthy phases of dressing generally the same...

>> No.7881204

>>7881135

Also, have not read this book but judging by:

>"How to be a Man"
>Glenn O'Brien

First of all the title implies that there is a single standard or way of being a male, and judging by Glenn O'Brien's (GQ's "Style Guy") terrible advice (***MEN*** should definitely not X, or wear Y with Z) he gives in his little column leads me to believe that this is not a very good book.

The Language of Clothes, The Fashion System, and The Fashionable Mind are all great reads that I would recommend over this book, but I have not read it and am just judging from what I've read from O'Brien.

>> No.7881205

>>7881186
>getting mad
>using subjective and opinionated quotes as concrete evidence

>> No.7881210

>>7881037
sounds like u r projecting

>> No.7881213

>>7881204

Also it obviously does not cover the fundamental basics of what Fashion and Style are, judging by the misinformed, uneducated opinions of this anon.

>>7881152

also consider dropping your trip

>> No.7881223

>>7881205

Yes I am mad because I am talking to 2 dense as fuck brick walls. "Losing" an argument because the other persons are too dumb to understand what you are saying is very frustrating.

Also those are not "subjective" or "opinionated", if you knew anything (which you obviously don't) you would not make such stupid claims.

Go look up who Harold Koda is and sit the fuck down, drop trip, reflect on yourself, and consider tripping again when you have opinions based on actual KNOWLEDGE that you can share, and not just some stupid idea of how you think things are.

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a wrong opinion, and yours are.

>> No.7881227
File: 1.35 MB, 300x169, 1388699148071.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7881213

>> No.7881228

>>7881047
I think he's right. You know that feeling when you see that item and you just fuckin know you have to have it and that you can work that shit? The one that doesn't have any hype on it except yours? That sweet feeling when it hits 75% off because no one else can see its potential? That's a good feeling mate. But how do you reach that state of personal style? Is it by locking yourself into one aesthetic, familiarizing yourself with it before trying out new and experimental stuff using inspo from other style "sub-cultures" and personal knowledge cultivated on colour schemes, proportions, textures etc?

Or do you start off by identifying your personal attributes, what works for your body type, what clothes mesh with your personality, whay clothes suit your environment etc and hope against hope that you'll run into a brand churning out product that hits these personal criteria that you've come up with?

I dunno. Someone smart chime in

>> No.7881231

>>7881186
>but to be fashionable is in the end to participate in a consensus. Style for the individual on the other hand is necessarily a series of subjective preferences and decisions that can range from a complete concession to la mode or a move toward an individual expression that, in its extreme, ignores or even rejects prevailing fashions." - Harold Koda

this is the gist of what I was trying to say. Never did I claim that style and fashion are mutually exclusive, but simply that they are the opposites of one another. I could have made it clearer that ones personal style could be a reflection of an accepted fashion, but the nature of the word 'style' relates to an individual's choice, interpretation, and execution of a given mode of that accepted fashion.

Again, I don't think we are disagreeing as much as you think we are dude.

As far as "How to Be a Man" by Glenn O'Brien, it is honestly a really good read. It reflects a lot of the same ideas present in the two quotes you gave. It does not, by any means, imply that there is a single standard of manhood and makes the opposite argument. Don't judge a book by its cover. Its pretty cheap off Amazon and I highly recommend it.

>> No.7881233

>>7881205

>concrete evidence

Concrete evidence against what? You guys are literally unaware of the definition of a word, and are asking me to offer "Concrete evidence" and "Valid, substantiated opinion".

Holy shit guys, it doesn't matter what you think it is, it does not change the meaning of the word.

You guys just need to choose different words to describe what you are trying to say really, because you are just fighting an uphill battle with a diamond ceiling at the top

>> No.7881234
File: 115 KB, 500x406, 1393470202867.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7881223
>implying I don't know Koda
>implying Koda himself wouldn't admit that he has his own opinions on fashion, and other have their's

>> No.7881243

>>7881234

When someone starts making half assed responses with le memes and greentext >implications I take it as my cue to leave.

Whatever, you stay stupid man. I've told you enough and if you still don't get it then you're a lost cause

pce

>> No.7881370

>>7881047
Post a fit and shut the fuck up. By your speech and constant meme usage, you are straight out of /b/ and have seriously no idea about fashion. You are a shitty troll, and need to stop tripping.

>>7881186
This definition of /fa/ is to the T. A general censuses on the state of fashion but with different personal applications of it. It's the rejection of the cookie cutter, but only with a few changes.

>Example, Chuck taylors. No matter what you say, they've lasted the test of time for the time being and are a good item. You may not like them, you may not where the exact same thing "CDG" but you still like the basic style of the chucks.

Question posed:
Is confidence truly more important than the clothes?
>yes

>> No.7881393
File: 440 KB, 1148x1058, 1393543475611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7881370
>Post a fit and shut the fuck up
this is him

>> No.7881526

>>7881393
hahaha niggas actually leave the house dressed like this

>> No.7881531

>>7881526
problem nigger?

>> No.7881534

your style has to resemble your lifestyle and interests

>> No.7881543

>>7881393
That's terrible. It's not even average.
You don't need to roll your jeans with fucking sport shoes or whatever they're called in English, talking of shoes they're terrible as well. Fuck those white socks and underneath what? A hoodie? A grey hoodie and then that kind of excuse that is a jacket? I'd say you're just going out for a jog in your worst clothes because cbf, but you're wearing those jeans...

>> No.7881545

>>7881534
This is 90% of time or even more correct.

>> No.7881546

>>7881534
>>7881545
it's very important but feel n existential RN so must add no1 has 2 do anyfin tho

>> No.7881552
File: 227 KB, 720x960, 1393839797439.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7881534
this. if you're not into art you can't dress gothninja because you will not know how to make your silhouette work. or if you aren't rich dressing prep will just look ridiculous

authenticity is the key to being effay

>> No.7884314

>>7880787
dont die one me!

>> No.7884325

bumping so newfags can see this #rekkage

>> No.7886191

>>7881531
>problem nigger?
Saying nigger; Please, return to /b/.

Thanks for dropping that trip, pal.

>> No.7886223

>>7881206

I start off by wearing what I think is appropriate for the situation. I wouldn't dress full goof and just stay in the house all day but I wouldn't wear lounge wear to an art exhibit.