[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 192 KB, 500x741, tumblr_mzneivQb6y1qcvru5o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7658102 No.7658102[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I can't seem to find a style/aesthetic that really compliments my own appearance, lifestyle and personality in general.

How do people do that? I'm talking about you guys who actually put thought into their clothing to express themselves through it instead of hopping on trends.

I really don't know how to make my style compliment my appearance and personality and would like some help. Yes I read the sticky, I'm not talking about "observing people" or whatever here, but actually making your style work with who you are, which seems really hard to me.

>> No.7658138

it just happens by itself OP, i can't really explain it.

>> No.7658145
File: 450 KB, 1080x2000, 1390170830823.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7658138
forgot pic

>> No.7658149

Try and fail.

You can spend the rest of your life rereading the sticky and wondering what you would like, and you still won't know.

The beginning is tough because you make loads of mistakes, and they're annoying to look back on. Just try some category you kind of like (menswear, streetwear, prep, etc.) and see if you actually enjoy wearing it. Maybe you only enjoy some parts of it. Eventually you'll be able to pull from different styles/"looks" without looking like a jumbled mess.

It took me about two years to get to the point of being even vaguely content with my fits and "look," and I'm still changing and adjusting shit all the time. But I wouldn't have made any progressed if I tried to figure it all out in my head before buying dumb shit, making mistakes, and learning from all that.

>> No.7658183
File: 147 KB, 500x622, tumblr_mhs4rmIXBi1ribvrmo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7658145
Yeah I read that already.

>>7658149
I can relate to what you're saying.

My main problem is that I kind of know what styles I like, but they're conflicting and completely impossible to combine without creating a mess - I'm both into really conservative prep stuff, and streetwear shit as shown in pic related.

Add to that the fact that I don't know (as said in the OP post) how to build a style based on my personality, and you'd understand why I'm lost atm.
I'm still in that phase of buying dumb shit and getting buyer's remorse, yes. But is there any shortcut to know based on your appearance and mannerisms what kind of aesthetic and color palette would fit me better?

>> No.7658187

>>7658149
This guy gets it. Basically, you're gonna buy a bunch of shit and most of it you won't actually like, but the ones you do keep and wear confidently is your "style". That's how I see it anyway.

Of course, if you're someone who doesn't even dare venture away from hoodie+jeans, then that's a different story.

>> No.7658192

can't you just wear prep menswear one day and street wear the next?

really getting to know yourself, practicing self reflection and being honest with yourself is what you need.

>> No.7658193

>>7658183
Maybe instead of combining everything, you should dress in a certain way whenever you feel like doing that particular style.

>> No.7658200

>>7658183
Is there one style you like better than the other?

>> No.7658229
File: 118 KB, 619x469, street_prep.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7658183
>conservative prep streetwear

>> No.7658237

>>7658229
well damn op, if a fusion of street wear and prep was possible you're looking at it.

>> No.7658250

>>7658229

that looks like yung gud lol

>> No.7658251

>>7658229

What the fuck is going on in this picture.

>> No.7658255

>>7658251

???? its not even bad

>> No.7658266

>>7658187
I see what you mean.
I didn't buy a lot of expensive shit up to now. What I wear the most are my basics, but I don't exclusively wear hoodies and jeans. I don't have enough clothes which can be considered as streetwear or prep to make a choice between the two in terms of the one I wear the most confidently.

>>7658192
>>7658193
>>7658229
>>7658237
I don't know. I think that'd take a lot more time to build a wardrobe and make it complex if I have to alternate my cops between prep and streetwear. If they were similar styles, like workwear and prep, then I could, but shit like Givenchy (ready to wear), Marcelo Burlon or whatever definitely isn't conservative enough to be incorporated into a prep outfit so I can't.

I'd rather choose one of those and really put thought into my cops to make everything work really well together instead of making compromises and spending more money for less versatility.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I just feel that I won't be able to do it.
I have to figure out which one of these styles go better with my character.

>>7658200
Not really.
Prep is nice when it fits well, I feel like it would be much more versatile and better in the long run. I also have higher quality options than streetwear brands (stuff like Loro Piana or even bespoke). It looks more understated, too.

As for streetwear, I like it because of the patterns, graphics and color combinations I can create. It's much less versatile though.

I really don't know.

>> No.7658361

Really into the idea of mixing pre with streetwear, anyone got inspo of that kind of style?

>> No.7658389

if you feel comfortable in something it usually looks good imo

it's hard to give advice on that though

>> No.7658395

>>7658389
Neckbeards feel comfortable wearing fedoras, pleather trenchcoats and beat-up Asics

>> No.7658412
File: 390 KB, 1366x2048, DIO_0496.1366x2048.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really liked that Dior Homme collection. I want a coat like that.

>> No.7658414

>>7658395
I would say, if you care about looking good and feel comfortable in what you are wearing, you will usually look at least decent.

>> No.7658500

Which brands make prep clothing anyway?

I mean are there any references for "prep" as a style?
If you told me heroin chic I'd say SLP, workwear would be RRL, Visvim, LVC, techwear is Acronym, Gyakusou...

But what about prep?

>> No.7658528

>>7658500
Ralph Lauren, brooks brothers, maybe j crew

>> No.7658529

>>7658500
idk anyone who makes nice sweaters and shirts etc.
grenson for shoes, dior and burberry, etc.

>> No.7658538
File: 97 KB, 612x612, dior homme ss 2013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7658529
>dior
>prep

are u retarded

>> No.7658555
File: 523 KB, 774x900, han.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7658266
there is streetwear stuff that involves traditionally prep stuff, although the fit is generally different i guess

but oxford shirts and chinos are widespread in both

idk prep with sneakers and a cap is good

experiment

jordans and a blazer is probably gonna look bad, but that's not the only option

>> No.7658808

>>7658395

well i was going to say something like "its important to figure out who you are and to work with yourself as a a starting point, rather than directly copy something you think looks cool (or 'adopt' a style), because the latter is unsincere and it can make someone wearing the coolest shit look, well, just like shit."

then again people buying cool shit usually gets the hang of how to wear it and not look like a complete tool pretty fast, but they've got to deal with losing aforementioned tool status.

>> No.7658879

>>7658808

öööh my point there was that the fedora gang are in fact trying extremely hard to adopt a certain dress (or rather lifestyle) that is not only outdated, but also not in the slightest comparable to the life these men lead, regardless of wether their fedora is made from high grade wool or not.

the rest of the neckbeards simply don't care more than bare minimum, which is alright, but sort of disqualifies them from playing any part in OPs question or anything fashion related (aside from being mocked).

>> No.7658891

>>7658808
>>7658879
well put

>> No.7659217

Can Saint Laurent's formal clothing be considered prep?

I love the darker aesthetic of SLP's boat shoes, trousers, suits... Same thing for Givenchy's formal line (none of that hypebeast graphic shit, I'm mainly talking about suiting and formal shoes).

I'm trying to get into prep, but in a less conventional manner and by dressing with darker, perhaps more "agressive" colors than the usual beige/light blue/etc, replacing those by burgundy and other shades of red, black, white, perhaps brown and dark blue...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? A prep look with a darker edge to it? Not heroin chic, but an actual buisness casual-like style only with darker elements.

Are there any other designers I could look into? No Ann D or anything, I want to keep the cuts and graphics/textures very conventional, I just want a darker aesthetic overall.

>> No.7659225

>>7658879
is this the real mamma

>> No.7659237

>>7659225

Yes, it is, I'm posting from my phone.

>> No.7659322

since we're talking about classic clothes, what's the general consensus on wearing Loro Piana, Brioni, Zegna, Kiton, etc if you're under 25?

are those brands worth it?

>> No.7659318

>>7659217
prep clearly isnt the term youre looking for.
slp is dressy, but not formal. you can dress down most of the pieces to work perfectly fine in everyday fits.
the slp look is arrogant, sleek and quite minimalistic.
not talking about runway obviously

>> No.7659410

>>7659322

There's nothing wrong with suiting or classical menswear when you're young. Can't say anything about those brands because I'm simply not that interested in it, though.

>> No.7659424

>>7659322
>worth it
this is subjective.
dont overdress, dress appropriately for your age and lifestyle.
that being said, this shouldnt keep you from shopping these brands, they put out some amazing things.
loro piana is generally considered one of the best if not the best source for cashmeres as you probably know.
anyone can wear a cashmere sweater, you dont have to be a 30 year old banker to wear one. is it "worth" the cash? just think about what "worth it" even means in this context and you should be able to figure that one out for yourself. a plain cashmere sweater is obviously not a statement piece, theres no offensive branding or the like and noone will be impressed by it. its simply a matter of personal luxury. noone needs a 1500$ knit, but thats not the question, right?

>> No.7659492

>>7659410

lemme change that statement a bit - nothing wrong with suiting when you're young, but that depends on how young you are. Spending a shitload of money on stuff you might grow out is a bad idea (plus while tastes fluctuate throughout your life, your teen years/early 20s are a fukken typhoon of changing personalities lmao).

I agree with what >>7659424 said regarding "is it worth it", but I wouldn't say not to overdress. I think it's fun when people go the extra mile, more people should overdress imo.