[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 83 KB, 687x1000, 1371903780707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7605056 No.7605056 [Reply] [Original]

Can anyone help me a bit on my way here?

I'm a (27 year old) lawyer and I've been invited to this semi-casual dinner party. However, outside of work I pretty much only wear my comfy clothes, and going in a suit seems unnecessary. I browsed the links in the sticky, but most of the stuff there seems to be for teenagers trying to look mature or just effeminate boys. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I can't come up showing up like that. Not to mention I'm too old anyway.

Any suggestions, please? I'm okay with looking uninspired/ordinary, as long as it's appropriate for the occasion...

>> No.7605061
File: 48 KB, 500x496, tumblr_mcxrlk3HuS1r6ek22o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

By the way, OP's picture is just bait. That's not me.

>pic related seems something /fa/ recommends, but what I'm obviously trying to avoid because I'm not a 17 year old boy

>> No.7605066

List all the things wrong with OPs picture. I'll start:
>color coordinating the couch, blinds and carpet

>> No.7605076

>>7605066
he doesnt have a hot bitch under each arm when he clearly should

>> No.7605110
File: 124 KB, 550x826, 1389704113501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

nice pants and a button up shirt seems to be a safe way

>> No.7605175

usually "semi casual" would mean about a sportscoat, right? wearing an odd jacket would at least not be overdressing if it was more on the casual side, like a tweed or something. maybe you could get away with a cardigan, slacks and shirt?

I'm sure in 2014 you could get away with just a shirt tucked into chinos even

>> No.7605224

>>7605056
Define "semi-casual". For a casual dinner, I would recommend a sweater jacket (like what you might find at BR), a slim pair of pants, and a pair of more "casual" dress shoes (think open lacing and something fun like burnished toes and heels). Whether or not you choose to wear a band collar shirt, a dress shirt, or even something more casual, you have a lot of options in what you can wear.

Outside of that, "semi-casual" makes me think of a slim fitting suit and dress shirt sans tie, but you know your occasion better than I do.

>> No.7605260

>>7605224
I asked my boss if I should wear a suit, and he said no because it's informal. Having said that, there's only going to be lawyers present, and I just don't want to look like a bum between all of them. So... whatever 'casual' means around THOSE kind of people, I guess? I'm not sure what it is yet either, because it's my first social event with those kind of people.

>> No.7605359

Firstly, where in the world are you and what's the weather going to be like?

What clothes do you already have, OP?
What shirts (what weave, what collar and cuff styles, colours), shoes (what kinds, what colours), ties (what weave, what colours), any blazers or jackets? (what style, what colour)
What pants?

You probably have all that you'd need in your wardrobe already, so there's no sense going out and splurging on a bunch of new clothes that'll make you look like a try hard.

Start from the bottom:
Shoes, should not be your capped oxfords that you wear to work with your suit - too formal.
Got any brown shoes? Burgundy? (cordovan?)
Brogueing is better, makes them less formal.
Avoid black. I would avoid sneakers too; if it was originally an athletic shoe or any kind, do not wear it to this event - better to err on the side of caution here.

What trousers?
Don't wear jeans - unless you know your lawyer crowd well enough and know that they are informal enough to wear jeans to a dinner party for colleagues.

It's difficult to give suggestions. I know what I would wear, but then I know "my version" of the crowd with which you will be attending a dinner - these aren't your mates, are they? They're people with whom you work; there's not much room for flagrant informality (jeans, t-shirts, sneakers) with such a crowd. But you tell me?
How old is everyone else going to be at this shindig?

>> No.7605366

>>7605066
low polygon count feet

>> No.7605372
File: 1.03 MB, 597x831, penistail.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7605359
This is what I would consider "informal" for such an event. This is pushing it by my standards, as any event amongst my own colleagues is formal enough to remain cocktail wear (they're certainly no friends of mine), and your boss did say don't wear a suit, so that preclude even informal styles like cocktail dress.

>> No.7605394

Wear black tapered chinos, a white oxford shirt, and a grey sweater over the shirt. For shoes wear a black brogue or derby of some sort.

>> No.7605403

>>7605372
you can do this with or without the blazer
but you def need leather shoes, slacks, and a button up

>> No.7605420

Honestly mate, head down to one of the respected department stores downtown in your city (very old, well established, no suit under 800) and say you need a few things for a smart casual event.
Cardigan, playful collar, trousers, brogues in earthy tones (save the shirt) would be your best bet. But Im sure the gentleman (not the youngest or loudest dresser, but everything fits emmaculately) helping you would know what would work best for you.
Get everything slim cut if youre slim btw. You have to ask as they usually cater to older, larger men.

>> No.7605429

>>7605420
Protip, if you know what your boss or colleagues are in to, look up a bit on those subjects so you can have a proper conversation with them.
Boss is a big hockey fan? Know the standings, read a couple articles and ask his opinion on what he's expecting from the play offs. Its really cool learning a lot about the passions of people you surround yourself with, and you usually find a new appreciation for it.

>> No.7605430

>>7605372

>penistail

>> No.7605516

>>7605359
Oh, hope you're still here. I thought the thread died.

- Netherlands. Shit weather.

Aside from the suits, most of my clothes are Hugo Boss, but I always buy the plain/simple stuff (will /fa/ hate me for this?)
- Yes. I need to buy evening shoes. Indeed, I have my oxford shoes and only a pair of sneakers that MAYBE are acceptable:
http://store-nl.hugoboss.com/Sneakers-%C2%B4Apache-IV%60-met-inzetstukken-van-nylon/hbeu50237981,nl_NL,pd.html&cgid=27250#!i%3D74%26color%3D030_Medium-Grey

So... brown shoes?

- I was planing on jeans, but they all have that faded thing going on, even if it's little. Fortunately I have some trousers that don't belong to any of my suits, but only dark blue-ish...
- I have plenty of shirts, most normal colours, and I think I can pick a classy one at least.
- I have no stand-alone casual blazer or jacket
- I have a lot of cardigans too?

They're colleagues, and although they're friendly, they're the dick-waving kind of people, so I'm not sure how to approach this. I mean, I don't care, but I'm at the bottom of the ladder here and I need to make new fake friends to get somewhere, you know? Everyone's between late twenties and early forties, I guess? Not a lot of old-OLD people, anyway.

>> No.7605527

>>7605420
>>7605359
>>7605394

Why brown shoes, by the way? I've never had brown shoes before.
That seems annoying because I have to buy a brown belt as well then, shouldn't I? And brown socks...