[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 1.95 MB, 400x319, 1384051929421.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7515845 No.7515845[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I ask, because there seems to be a huge disconnect between the sticky and the content of the board. Even within the board, there are inconsistencies.

What I'm talking about is this: the sticky talks about how to dress more presentably by paying attention to the flattering fit of clothes, color theory, finding one's preferred aesthetic, etc etc. I term this, "style."

But, on the board, people seem to be very concerned about brand, people seem critical of clothes that aren't "expensive" enough, and people seem very interested in avant-garde designers. Well, two avant-garde designers, at least. An outfit, regardless of what it looks like, can be disqualified from being good on the basis of incorporating pieces from accessible stores, such as American Apparel or Zara. For the purposes of this thread, I am calling the disposition toward expensive and exclusive brands "high fashion."

I just want to know what sort of board this is, so I know whether it's for me. I'm not making this thread to be all, "lol, ur all stoopid & elitist cuz u spend a lot on clothes, lolol," because people who go to forums to complain about the culture of those forums are probably the scum of the internet, and whatever you people choose to do with your lives is a-okay. I mean, it doesn't harm me if you pay $2000 for jeans. But if I'm not the sort of person who does that (a "fuccboi," perhaps?), I want to know if this is still a board I can contribute to and benefit from.

Is /fa for people who pursue "stylish" outfits by purposefully putting articles of clothing together in an aesthetic manner, even if said articles come from thrift stores/AA/UO/Topman? Or is it better off left to the people who spend more on clothing and buy high fashion pieces from designers such as Rick Owens?

>> No.7515862
File: 512 KB, 1799x1200, 1381221522588.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

0/10 you bore me troll harder fgt

>> No.7515887

plenty of people here do not wear designer clothing

/fa/ is actually pretty diverse in this respect, to be honest.

>> No.7515908

It's a swag board

>> No.7515915

>>7515845
I would say this place is mostly a brand circlejerk, and not even a particularly good one. People like to throw shit at people from behind their monitor, but never even post their fits. Look in today's average WAYWT thread. There's only ever like 20 pictures followed by 200 posts of anons talking shit about them.

Talking shit without posting a fit should be a bannable offense. Maybe this place would stop being garbage finally.

>> No.7515946

Well, the basics section on the sticky is really based off of old /fa/ ideology. In the past, /fa/ was more focused on accessible items of clothing and what might now sadly, derisively be called dadcore, #menswear, etc. It's not that I even love that "style" more than streetwear hybrids and other modern styles, but those terms--dadcore, #menswear--serve to do what names on 4chan so often do: dumb down and restrict discussion and force people into arbitrary, combative positions. The term dadcore just seems to me in retrospect like a poison that killed a part of /fa/ when it was introduced two or three years ago around the same time as the terms "pleb" and "patrician".

I don't know if this answers your question, but /fa/ is what you see. If it seems small minded and combative, that's part of it. It's not all of it, but it's true that the board now is different than what you see on the sticky.

>> No.7515985

It tends to err on the side of high fashion. However, it's common for even style boards to draw inspo from high fashion.
Even if youre more style oriented, /fa/ is still an excellent source to see if what youre doing is passable. The emphasis on using quality materials and colour/texture palettes without disregarding the overall aesthetic and silhouette is invaluable

>> No.7516037

>>7515845
What you're failing to realise, OP, is that there are a lot of underage wankers on here who are doing it wrong.

>> No.7516065

>>7516037
So many young, angry people.

>> No.7516071

>>7515946
>terms introduced
Spammed more like. 'Dadcore' was a forced meme. Anyone who was here at the time remembers it.

And the spammers were very dedicated. Every day on the front page for a couple months. It was an organized group of anons.

>> No.7516102

the sticky is made to keep idiots from flooding the board asking the same questions over and over again.

>> No.7516105

It's pretty common knowledge around here that most low-tier stores (i.e. AA, Uniqlo, Topman) are perfectly fine for copping basics, etc. but when you buy their footwear, outerwear, designer rip-offs, or other 'advanced' pieces you're paying for cheap garbage. I don't visit this board to dress gothninja, because I dream of wearing CCP head to toe, or because I have a lot of money to throw around at clothes.
/fa/ is a style board, which constitutes the discussion of various topics, including sneakers, high fashion, designer brands, haircuts, weight, models, manufacturing practices, different cuts of tshirts, etc.
The sticky is a good place for beginners to shape their own style and it's intended to answer a lot of questions you may have about dressing yourself. A lot of people ignore it and ask dumb questions on the board but so it goes
If you're just starting here, lurk, be patient, take everything with a grain of salt, and don't dress for anyone except yourself

>> No.7516122

>>7515946
how new are you?
the whole goofninja/anti-dadcore trend is older than the sticky.

>> No.7516138

>>7516105
As someone who just started in fa
>"don't dress for anyone except yourself"

is the best piece of information I have heard

>> No.7516140

/FA/ HAS TOO MANY FUCKING SHITMUNCHING CUMGUZZLING KANGAROO HUMPING DROPBEAR THROWING MARMITE EATING COCK VACUUMING BALLSACK HUNTING QUEEFMONGERS
IM TALKING TO YOU ASOKONE
WITH AUSTRALIANS THIS BOARD IS DETERIORATING FASTER THAN SIEG ROLLING DOWN A HILL

>> No.7516141

>>7516122
also, the sticky was made by a tool from /r/malefashionadvice

a one-guide-fits all approach doesn't work, not everyone looks good with a HY and buttondowns.

>> No.7516144
File: 151 KB, 500x836, 1388465108334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7516071
Are you really questioning whether I was here when it happened, dan?

I'm of the opinion that it was spam only in the very beginning, but stupid, shortsighted anons jumped on the band wagon and started using the term.

>> No.7516148

>>7516138
no, it's not.
if you follow that, you'll end up dressing like an unapproachable autist. dres in a way which you like, but still dress appropriately for every occasion.

>> No.7516157

>>7516122
>>7516141
Wow, you can't manage to read either my post or the sticky.

>> No.7516258

>>7515845
just because on /o/ everyone owns a honda shitbox doesn't mean they can't also be enthusiastic about ferraris or some shit

dig?

>> No.7516277
File: 30 KB, 436x408, 1338650016398.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7516258
>he owns a honda

>> No.7516333

>>7516148
Thank god, anon.

Finally somebody who is fucking reasonable.

>> No.7516606

>>7515845
A mixture. Being fa is about fit and the overall appearance not so much on names. The people that go on about brands seem to be the most pathetic and bitter. watch out for user "Sieg heil" who admits to never leaving his house but makes fun of people that pay less than $500 for a shirt.

>> No.7516614

i wish poet was here to yell at you about buying fast fashion

>> No.7516637

>>7516258
yeah but

it's like driving a honda and shitting on people who drive hondas

that's what /fa/ is like
>"dude Zara is PLEB" -guy wearing h&m and levis 511s

>> No.7516815

>>7516148
The point though is to dress in a fashion that makes you approachable by the people you want to socialize with. By dressing for yourself, you'll attract people with similar interests reflected in the attire you both wear. If you dress autistic and that's what you choose to represent yourself as, you'll pull other autists just like you. Making it a win win. The point of him saying that was that dressing for yourself makes you more approachable in the long run because people know what to expect when they approach you, no false flags. If you're an autist don't go around looking like a tool because that's what you'll attract.

>> No.7516863

>>7516071
>>7515946
damn. i remember when dadcore was spammed to hell and back at the start. that was probably the most apparent transition phase in /fa/.

>> No.7516901

>>7516277
>>7516637
:(

my original point is still there. just because you don't have the means to afford something great doesn't mean you can't also appreciate it

this relates to the OP insofar as there seems to be an interest in avant garde design even though most people are basic as fuck

>> No.7516924

>>7516901
yeah I understand where you are coming from, people can appreciate something and be really hyped about it when they aren't even a part of it (ex:every sports fan ever)

But /fa/ has lately become a "self-improvement" board for fuccbois who have been letting their moms dress them all their lives and when they find out about Rick Owens they think they are redpilled and start calling anything fast-fashion shit

>> No.7516935

>>7516924
Fast fashion is shit though

>> No.7516955

>>7516935
yeah but it's people wearing fast fashion that are saying it's shit

I don't understand. It's okay if you are calling it shit, but if you know it's shit why would you willingly put it on every morning?

>> No.7516983

>>7516955
because its within one's means? i understand the retorts like

>rick is cheap as fuck just cop on ebay and sufu
or
>just save up

but realistically most everyone here is a uni/college or younger fuccboi who doesn't have room in their budget to spend more than $50 on a single tee.

>> No.7517186

Is Michael Korz expensive enough for /fa/

>> No.7517326

>>7516071
On topic and astute as always, lookin' good, Dan.

>> No.7517555

>>7516924
>"self improvement" board
Quick digression: almost every board is this now.

I've been lurking /fa/ for a couple weeks now, away from my usual boards. Except for some boards that stay meta due to topic (like /tg/), almost every board is now /r9k/2.0. The majority of users are teens, but additionally they all seem massively desperate to improve their pathetic (read: norp) lives. Why this sudden self-improvement wave? Why now? Why 4chan?

(So sick of answering the same /fit/ questions every day.)

>> No.7517595

itt: overthinking

>> No.7517614

The high-fashion hive mind, though important, are also the bitterest ones because they don't see fashion, they see "stereotypes", like dadcore, gothninja, basic bitch, fuccboi, etc. Thus, the bitter ones actually attract other people that are bitter, who they think are as likeminded as them, when in reality they're probably some little shithead from /b/.

>> No.7517625

>>7515845
I've always viewed /fa/ as a decent relationship advice board.
there is room for improvement, but overall, it's not bad.

Far too much shit posting, and general faggotry (ok we get it, you like clothes), but all things considered, I like it.

>> No.7517662
File: 734 KB, 450x350, FAj4Jv9.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7517555
>Why this sudden self-improvement wave? Why now? Why 4chan?

After my friend showed me 4chan, I realized it was a source of instant knowledge. If I needed advice on something, I could go to that board, ask for help, and get answers pretty quick. They seem to be diverse and reasonable. And they don't take long to respond or seem too vague (something you get on say yahoo! answers).
I feel 4chan is pretty much a huge anonymous conversation where nobody is too embarrassed to say what they feel. And thats something you cant get outside the internet.
People want opinions on how to improve their music and movie taste. Along with advice on how to get fit. What car to drive. What clothes look best. And 4chan is a very easy way to get quick answers.

>> No.7517710

>>7515845
neither

>> No.7517717
File: 992 KB, 389x259, 1383432832058.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7515845
>Well, two avant-garde designers, at least.

>> No.7517928

>>7516935
Mang I've still got shirts and jumpers from Next that are holding up fine

>> No.7517962
File: 114 KB, 1328x532, ss (2013-12-31 at 04.32.35).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7515845
33% of /fa/ are highschool and uni poorfags who try and do their best to look /fa/ and stylish.
33% actually have money to invest in designer
33% are a combination of the two mentioned + a lot of shitposting like "i love not eating.gif"

clothing is more than just what you're wearing.
there are so many people on here who have nice clothing but shitty proportions and just don't look good.
it's not about the tag, its about the fit, and how well you can pull it off.

calling people out and talking shit has always been a part of the board culture and shouldn't be taken seriously. i actually love it.

what is killing the board is the lack of moderation and constant off topic threads that have NOTHING to do with fashion.

>which iphone is most /fa/?
>what is some /fa/ literature?
>what are some /fa/ films?
>is skateboarding /fa/?
>what cigarettes are /fa/?
>desktop thread!
>what did you eat today /fa/?
+400 posts of bullshit on how to get a better jaw and the same starvation techniques that we've all heard before.

these threads are here every fucking day on the first 3 pages.

i realize that this is a slow board but posting shit only takes away from actual fashion discussion.

I visited /cgl/ the other day out of curiosity and realized that 90% of the threads were on-topic and full of discussion.

pic related is what /fa/ needs.

>inb4 incoherent sperg replies and being redirected to /r/mfa

/fa/ is by far the worst interest/hobby board, but also my favorite.

>> No.7518341

>>7517962
I agree with you completely.

We need to add something like that to the sticky, like /cgl/ has.

>/fa/ is a board for the following:

>> No.7518552

>>7518341
Well, a lot of things are fashion. Of course things like hair, clothes, and shoes are fashion, but things like interior design are also fashion. Where do we draw the line?

>> No.7518589

If youre here to actually learn something about fashion, its the wrong place. This is a simple place where people interested in fashion come together to joke, troll, and shitpost.

If you actually want to learn to go mfa, styleforum, or something similar.

>> No.7518628

>>7518589
exactly this
100% correct

However, you can still get some tips on style from inspo threads and reading waywt critiques

>> No.7518692

>>7517555

Yeah. This board is full of nerds asking other nerds how should they dress. I mean, the point of a waywt should be to post a fit of your own, to contribute with something you put some creativity in, get feedback and comment about what others posted. Not a bunch of anons wearing levi's 511s plus a shirt asking if they're /fa/ now or if what they're wearing fits.

Not saying 511s and shirts are pleb or anything, but c'mon...

Plus the variety in this board is extremely low. It's all Acne, Raf, Rick, plus some streetwear, roshes, nbs, the occasional guy asking if he should cop what he just saw on Asos, monochrome fits, and that's all...

>> No.7518712

>Anal about price

are you kidding? H&M is probably this board's favourite high street store

>> No.7518726

>>7518712
Uniqlo m8

People only like this board if it's H&M x MMM

>> No.7518748

>>7518692
You forgot CPs
Everybody and their mothers wear CPs with Levi 511s/Acne Ace Cash

>> No.7518749

>>7518628

>However, you can still get some tips on style from inspo threads and reading waywt critiques

From inspo threads yes, from waywt critiques no. Waywt brings way too many trolls to actually be helpful.

>> No.7518769

>>7516606
This

Sieg heil is probably the biggest faggot I've encountered, he acts all up tight and knowledgeable, thinks his opinion is worth something, but looks like a man boy irl.

>> No.7520720

>>7516037
>>7516065
I can tell you with certainty that a majority of this boards posters are school age, live at home and have affluent parents.

This "snapfam" meme that's been invading recently is full of them posting cops their mother just bought them.

CP's are also becoming a bad joke.

>> No.7520837

>>7516144
>Are you really questioning whether I was here when it happened, dan?
No?

>> No.7521654

>>7518552
interior design is fashion.
discussing what cards and asking if smoking is /fa/ every day is not.

>> No.7521748

i'm lurking /fa/ to look better because i currently dress like shit, but i noticed most of /fa/ is insanely expensive designer apparel. i'm poor as fuck and will be for quite a long time. am i in the wrong place and wasting time? know a right place?

>> No.7521763

Ive had fits praised that cost me less than $100

Ive also had fits that cost $5000+ get shit on

All about aesthetic/fit if you ask me

>> No.7521771

>>7521763
>Ive had fits praised that cost me less than $100
including shoes?

and no it all depends on what posters are on at the time. I've seen great fits get spammed with "autism" and other stupid shti

>> No.7521812

I first came to /fa/ a few months before goth ninja was trending, and it is definitely worth staying around. The WAYWT threads are very informative (even if you don't post a fit) and the board has really introduced me to clothing in a whole new way than I had before. I learn more and more good and bad things about clothing and fashion everyday. I would still be wearing shitty graphic tees and plaid/cargo shorts if I never came here. Just because you cannot afford some of the ridiculously priced items you may see floating around here doesn't mean you cannot get something out of it.

>> No.7521813

>>7521748

Well like everything if you want to get the best stuff you've got to pay for it you'd get the same in /g/ /a/ ect. That said hang around long enough and you'll get an idea of where you can get away with cheaper alternatives/knockoffs and when sales are coming around ect but still fashion is never going to be free

>> No.7521823

>>7521771
kek yes
sandals and vans

>> No.7521845

>>7521771
>I've seen great fits get spammed with "autism" and other stupid shit

Well since it's an anonymous board stuff like that is always going be part of /fa/. When you see a bad fit, shitting on that person isn't going to help them improve. They're probably going to stay away from this board and continue to dress poorly or move to a more regulated fashion forum. Instead give them some constructive criticism and really help them improve their fit/style.

>> No.7521869

>>7521845
yeah but the fit isn't even bad it's usually just shit like
>"lel you are actually wearing geobaskets? AUTISM XD"
>"omg le velcros so autistic"
it's just some dude shitposting

>> No.7521874

>>7515845
You need to remember one thing: once you actually get a style and learn how to dress yourself for most situations, "fashion" becomes very boring. You can see the metamorphosis of many regulars who start out trying various styles, finding pieces they like and what works and doesn't work on them, go through a state where they try to help others out, and then eventually get worn down by the same questions asked over and over again until they become bitter, antagonistic and eventually quit. I'm contributing on a few different boards and getting a bit jaded by it, however now I'm interested in trying to make my own stuff. It's difficult but rewarding and it's making fashion interesting for me again.Would be cool to see more DIY stuff posted in this board.

>> No.7521914

it depends on your own taste as to how you dress, where you shop and how/what you critique. I think it's okay to judge people somewhat on how they dress because there's nothing predetermined about it, other than being able to afford expensive shit I guess. I find people with cheap but cool looking fits/styles a whole lot more than rich idiots wearing rick and acne. most rich people who flaunt their wealth in such ways are obnoxious pricks anyway.

>> No.7522659
File: 1.31 MB, 1360x1000, 1387501083150.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw an actual thread that addresses all of /fa/'s flaws gets ignored.

>> No.7522709

>>7521914
it's hard for some less-creative people who have no sense of style to dress well though, so if they're rich then they buy expensive stuff to compensate and get the attention they want from the way they dress. chances are deep down most people who wear expensive stuff would rather wear cheaper stuff but look better