[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 48 KB, 610x610, natural-trench-boot-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7493839 No.7493839 [Reply] [Original]

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-trench-boot

Are these boots worth it? I really really like the color and style, however $400 is a significant investment and I don't anything about their reputation.

>> No.7493870

1000 miles with a different top for 50 more bucks.

That said, they do look good. Cop if you like the color.

>> No.7494052

>>7493870
They do look similar to the 1000 miles, but the toebox on those has always turned me away from them

>> No.7494372
File: 620 KB, 1800x2459, oakstreetbookmakers trench.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been eyeing these (captoe variant) for a while.

Two things that have come up that trouble me somewhat.

Firstly, I've heard reports from owners that, on their own subjective scale, that the soles seem somehow "softer" than say oak tanned leather soles. This oil sole thing was likened somewhat to a sponge. Feeling one up in the store and it did feel weird. Apparently the oil was for waterproofing (?) - not that I can see that lasting long when the sole gets its inevitable scrapes with use.
Whatever, this is a small concern I guess, perhaps they last just as long, everything being equal, as the other kinds of leather soles I've used.

Secondly, I am not sure what kind of insole they use.

If it's a proper leather insole, fine. But if they've skimped and are using leatherboard/fibreboard or whatever, then it would bother me. At 400+ bucks you'd expect a proper leather insole. The only reason I doubt this is because of a comment somewhere (either SF or leddit) which mentioned some kind of articles mentioning that while "OSB was switching to full grain insoles... [some other company] is with sticking with leatherboard."

Does this mean that they have made the manufacturing switch? Or is it just a general plan?

I've yet to email the company to find out for sure.

If I do find out that they're leather, then all's a go and I'll put in my order.

I'm just not so fussed yet, tbh. No rush.

>> No.7494392

>>7493870
1000 miles can be had for cheaper I think.

>> No.7494632

They have quality control issues and use worse Chromexcel leather than Wolverine (Allen Edmonds makes the 1000 miles) and Alden. Not that you should spend the 80 more bucks to get Indy boots if you don't have wide/flat/pronated feet.

If you actually get these, try to get it with a dainite sole like the black trench boots. something hard wearing. Email them. this shit is handmade; they can probably accommodate you if you pay them a little more

>> No.7494636

You guys are fucking nuts if you think 1000 miles even come close to OSB.

The level of craftsmanship is insane and the natural cxl is fucking gorgeous.

>> No.7494641

yeah I went to JCREW to try on the new chippewa service boot, saw the glued on heel and fiberboard insole, and just left without trying it on. Don't buy boots that cut corners.

>> No.7494664

>>7494636
They both use worse leather in the uppers than say Alden and C+J but OSB Trench toebox is sleeker than 1000 miles (made by Allen Edmonds for Wolverine). Also it's not a mass produced boot like the others so you have worse warranty support.

>> No.7494743

>>7494664
Worse leather? They use Natural Chromexcel. I've been to independence chicago and handled the boots and they're superb. Couldn't find a flaw on them.

Alden is the one with awful quality control, some of the worst in the business. This is common knowledge. Even the Alden gurus over at Styleforum will admit this. Just a few pages ago some guy was complaining about some stained shell LWBs he got, stained in two spots, and the alden fans were telling him to shrug it off.

The only complaint I've heard about OSB is that their custom orders take forever, though still not nearly as long as Viberg's for example. (They just stopped the program due to the backlog and expense)

>> No.7494921

>>7494743
There are multiple grades of Chromexcel; OSB uses cheaper ones to keep costs down as they're not mass produced. Both brands have QC issues but usually nothing completely awful like Dayton's where one guy on Styleforum had the heel nail come through the insole. Really all North American shoe/boot manufacturers have QC issues. Red Wings just recalled over 100,000 pairs of boots and Allen Edmonds horror stories abound.

>> No.7494933

>>7494921
Cite your source that OSB uses cheaper CXL than other brands?

But to be fair about Daytons they were under extreme pressure to fulfill that stupid anniversary sale.

I haven't heard of good ol Viberg having any QC issues.

>> No.7495264

You guys seem to know a lot about boots. What's your opinion on Frye brand? They seem to be in the same price category as OP and I was thinking of ordering a pair, but I'm learning about a lot of other options in this thread. Anybody got experience with quality?

>> No.7495285

>>7495264
They kind of sucked for a while but they're trying to jump on the boot bandwagon. Currently I think their pricing is a bit steep for what they offer for their made in USA line. Their other lines are still garbage and especially overpriced.

>> No.7495733

>>7494632
>Allen Edmonds makes the 1000 miles)
>>7494664
>sleeker than 1000 miles (made by Allen Edmonds for Wolverine).

AE only made the limited ed. shell cordovan 1k's. The normal line is made by wolverine.

>> No.7495767

>>7494921
>Red Wings just recalled over 100,000 pairs of boots

Were those from their made in china workboots? Not surprising, really; the cost of doing business in china. RW make fewer boots (wholly) in the US than I had at first believed.

>> No.7495830

>>7494743
>Worse leather? They use Natural Chromexcel. I've been to independence chicago and handled the boots and they're superb. Couldn't find a flaw on them.

Yeah I've never heard that the cxl they use is of a low quality. If they'd had the trench boots and not the trench chukka where I tried them on I probably would've left the store with them.

>> No.7496555

>>7495767

How do I know which RWs are made in the US?

Are all the 'heritage' line shoes made in the US?

>> No.7497141

>>7496555
All the heritage line stuff is wholly made in the US (that is, not partially made elsewhere and assembled in the US, nor made in the US with imported materials).

If you go to their site, and say click on their work boot line, there's filters down the side margin. Click on the "country of origin" filter and select only the "Made in USA" option.
They're real work boot though, I mean, if you're looking for /fa/ stuff and not practical stuff sure, but heritage line is pretty much all that's discussed on here.

>> No.7497172

>>7495830
horween makes cxl
there is no "inferior" one

>> No.7497259

>>7494392
I payed around $350 for my 1000 miles at Nordstrom the other day. Pretty impressed by the leather and craftsmanship.