[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 407 KB, 960x540, week43_L3cover_heattech-m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7160041 No.7160041[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone had any experience with Uniqlo's HEATTECH range?

Good techwear basics or snake oil?

>> No.7160069

Bought one of those new sweaters with some socks. We'll see how it is. The merino one is too thin and the lambswool one, damn do not want to wear that

>> No.7160594

I'm also interested in this

>> No.7160622

>>7160069
>lambswool one, damn do not want to wear that

Please elaborate.

>> No.7160946

>>7160622
Itchy af.

>> No.7160977

snake oil. they're trying to upsell a synthetic textile cheaper than spandex

for warmth wool would be my first choice

>> No.7160989

>>7160977

>cheaper than spandex

isn't it basically spandex? how does it differ? thx

>> No.7161001

i have the socks, undershirt, and long johns, kept me warm all last winter.

>> No.7161017

>>7160989
i'm not their damn textile mill, i can't give you the molecular breakdown. the fact that it's derived from milk protein is evidence enough to put it below acrylic, at least as far as knitwear goes.

>> No.7161039

>>7160977
this. They are a best seller in Japan because well japanese houses are not good with insolation and dont have a heat system so it gets fucking freezing during winter. BUT THEY DONT WORK I STILL FROZE MY ASS OFF

>> No.7161060

>>7161017

oh so you don't know and you're just saying it's cheaper. that's what I figured.

>> No.7161071

>>7160041

They're fine for places that don't snow and are not right next to the ocean.

>> No.7161132

The guy on the original techwear compendium said he couldn't feel any difference

>> No.7161138

>>7161071
No they are not.

OP dont get them, get something that will actually work
Then again they are pretty cheap so if you dont live in a too-cold place they might be ok (but just as an extra layer, dont expect any heat control shit)

>> No.7161149

>>7161138
Can you recommend anything that will actually work?

>> No.7161152

>>7161132
recs for warm cutesy sweaters?

>> No.7161192
File: 108 KB, 1500x1500, wickers-long-underwear-bottoms-lightweight-comfortrel-for-men-in-tan~p~13101_01~1500.3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7160977
Any evidence to support that? I prefer wool for my baselayers, too, but I can't think of what'd be wrong with any of the Heattech products I've looked at. There's a number of slightly different blends, but most of them seem to be polyester, acrylic, rayon, and spandex, all of which are just fine materials to be building a baselayer out of.

>upsell
Nah. I mean, they're a fast fashion company, I'm sure they're making out like gangbusters, but they're selling the baselayers for $20. You can get ones cheaper than that - these are 100% poly and $8 at Sierra Trading Post, but they're seconds and have zero aesthetic value. Cheapest non-seconds are $13.

Then there's shipping; you can pick up STP in a store, but a lot more people live close to a Uniqlo than an STP.

I might cop some to use as tights under shorts; Capilene bottoms start at $35 for a silkweight that comes only in black.

>> No.7161201

>>7161149
Unfortunately those are the only ones I have/know
Fortunately I live in a city where its 27-30 celsius all year round so I dont need them here

>> No.7161271

>>7161149
There's two basic types of baselayers out there: merino wool ones, and polyester ones.

Merino wicks sweat slightly better.

Merino is infinitely more odor resistant and can go ages without washing, but it's not really machine washable, whatever the tag tells you, and you have to lay it out to dry flat. Polyester stinks like mad (but not as bad as polypropylene/polyolefin, which isn't used so much anymore for that reason) but you can beat it up in machines and with detergent no problem.

Polyester's much more abrasion resistant and can take more abuse of any kind.

Polyester dries faster, so it's preferable in some waterbound situations and very preferable, maybe necessary, if you'll be working up a sweat and then staying out in the cold.

Good names for merino baselayers: Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker, Rapha, Finisterre, Arc'Teryx, and Patagonia makes ones blended with a little polyester to get a little of the best from both. Any wool that's close up against your skin should work fine, though.

Good names for polyester: pretty much any outdoor brand you've heard of, except TNF blends theirs with polypropylene, which works swell, just stinks worse. Patagonia, Marmot, Arc'Teryx, REI, Nike, etc.

Choose on style, comfort, and price amongst any of those.

>> No.7161289
File: 242 KB, 800x437, tk of silly thing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heattech is the only Uniqlo I will touch, everything else feels pretty cheap but I think due to the nature of the Heattech fabric they can't really cheapen it or anything, it's been the same formula for 5+ years now and I don't see it changing any time soon. Where as everywhere else I feel the quality has kind of dropped (but already sucked to begin with anyway) +J was actually pretty nice but that's long gone.

Heattech though has stayed the same and that's why I still buy it.

You can wash it and put it in the dryer and it wont shrink or get distorted or static-y which is a big deal for cheap basics. Also I can't speak for all the different colours and patterns but the black does not fade at all. Heattech T's are the blackest black I can find and on top of it does not fade in the least. I actually don't even wear them properly (tight fitting and underneath your regular clothes) I size up x2 on the T's and L/S's and wear them by themselves year round. They don't really work as intended like this (unless you put a form fitting shirt / sweater / hoody over top in which case they compress and do work a bit more like they're supposed to) but I love the cut, fit, ease of laundering, and lack of fading so much that I don't care.

I also love the waffle heattech, it does fade a bit but the texture more than makes up for it. Still launders extremely well and I can't find a better waffle knit anywhere else at that price. Also size up x2 on these and wear them year round.

The only thing I actually wear "properly" from the line are the long johns which I get true to size and wear pretty much every day of the winter. They're dynamite, have just the right amount of heat retention and don't make you overheat like a lot of thermal leggings that are a usually a crazy overkill for just walking around and meant more for skiing or something.

>> No.7161295

>>7161289
Any thoughts on Airism?

>> No.7161361

>>7161295

Never tried it, thought about it last summer but honestly didn't see the point because I actually wear my Heattech in the summer too and it's ultra cozy if you size up, it's not hot in the least but gives just the right amount of warmth if it's windy or if you throw a soft shell over top in the evening.

I would never recommend them if you needed real warmth though. I have thermal stuff from actual activewear companies for that but my beef is it only works if I'm actually staying active. I can wear it skiing and it's perfect but just casually walking around outside, constantly going in and out of heated buildings, etc. it gets to be way too much. That's where Heattech comes in to me, it gives just the right amount of heat retention and you use it in combination with other stuff. In the winter I'll either wear a Heattech top and a down parka or a Heattech top + thermal zip hoody + hard shell. In both those situations the Heattech is being heavily backed up by something else but I can also go inside, remove everything but the top and still be cozy and comfortable, where as with a thin cotton shirt it might not be enough for when I go back outside. Heattech for me really embodies that happy medium. All I own when it comes to T's is up sized Heattech and a handful of designer T's. I've tried Muji / American Apparel / Uniqlo main line as well and these are my favourite, year round.

>> No.7161365

>>7161361
when will you hold a Q&A anorak?
serious question.

>> No.7161367

this work in cold af environments? I live in korea and I only caught the tail end of a horrific winter.

>> No.7161386

>>7161361
>when it comes to T's

Are you normally in a tee, or some other kind of shirt?

>> No.7161470

>>7161365

Just ask me whatever you want whenever you want and I'll probably answer.

>>7161386

Yeah pretty much, my thing is I usually wear a t-shirt and a blazer. There's a post in my mediafire where I talk about my love of blazers but basically they're my favourite garment and I think wearing one with a T or a polo is really as good as it gets. It makes you dressier than anyone else in casual clothes but it's not so much that you look out of place or like a prick. I've tried to get into dress shirts but generally what I find is you can't wear them with anything but trousers, they look a bit too try hard with jeans and so when I put one on I have to wear trousers and well now I have very few options for what's left. I basically have to wear dress shoes and then there's really only three options left. Either I walk out the door like that and (imho) look like any other dude with a 9-5 (no matter how cool whatever I'm wearing is, it's still slacks, a dress shirt, and dress shoes, the most boring overplayed outfit on the planet). Or I throw on a blazer and now look way too dressed up for 90% of what I do. Or lastly I could throw a sweater over top, sometimes I actually do this. If I'm wearing a dress shirt (which is rare) it's usually with a sweater, I just like the coziness of it.

Besides T's and dress shirts the only other thing I wear with regularity is long sleeves / sweaters with the sleeves rolled up. I don't wear tank tops because I have scrawny arms and I very rarely wear hoodies anymore unless I need to be really toasty because in most situations where I would wear a hoody I could just wear a blazer instead and look a lot nicer.

>> No.7161502

>>7161271
Thanks

>> No.7161508

>>7161470
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/o8duhsnv3em47cp
new here, what exactly is in this mediafire?

>> No.7161554

>>7160041
>Japanese technology
top kek

>> No.7161560

>>7161502

No problem

>>7161508

It's just all my best and most informative posts in one place.

>> No.7161568

>>7161560
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/o8duhsnv3em47cp
have you updated it?
i have one from two months ago

>> No.7161629

>>7161568

Yeah this one's newer but it probably needs to be updated again. If I were you I'd just read whatever you're missing on the archive and wait for me to update it again:

http://fuuka.warosu.org/

>> No.7161768

>>7161071
why not right next to the ocean?

>> No.7162133

>>7161289
>>7161361
Size up twice? Really?

>> No.7162481

>>7161017
No longer uses milk protein

>> No.7162963