[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 140 KB, 610x407, Synthetics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7133952 No.7133952[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

1. Polyester is the worst fabric you can buy. It is made from synthetic polymers that are made from esters of dihydric alcohol and terpthalic acid.

2. Nylon is made from petroleum and is often given a permanent chemical finish that can be harmful.

^Environmentalists discourage the use of fabrics made from nylon and polyester because they make use of petrochemicals, which pose more harm and detriment to the environment. These fabrics are said to be capable of emitting greenhouse gases at more than three hundred times than carbon dioxide.

3. Acrylic fabrics are polycrylonitriles and may cause cancer, according to the EPA.The EPA’s fact sheet contain information about the effects of polycrylonitriles as similar to cyanide, if inhaled. Workers exposed to high concentrations of this chemical compound experience irritation, anemia, nausea, leukocytosis, mild jaundice and renal effects. It was likewise noted as capable of causing severe damage to the skin and where concentrations that may be irritating to adults could be equivalent to doses that are fatal to children.

4. Rayon is recycled wood pulp that must be treated with chemicals like caustic soda, ammonia, acetone and sulphuric acid to survive regular washing and wearing.

5. Acetate and Triacetate are made from wood fibers called cellulose and undergo extensive chemical processing to produce the finished product.

6. Anything static resistant, stain resistant, permanent press, wrinkle-free, stain proof or moth repellant. Many of the stain resistant and wrinkle-free fabrics are treated with perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs), like Teflon.

>> No.7133957

fuck i love acryl

>> No.7133970

>>7133952
>polyacrylonitriles/acrylic fabric

>>7133957

EPA information:
http://www.epa.gov/chemfact/acry-sd.txt

>> No.7133981
File: 1.88 MB, 2136x3201, 00390h.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7133952
>mfw this whole post
lol

>> No.7134004

>4. Rayon is recycled wood pulp that must be treated with chemicals like caustic soda, ammonia, acetone and sulphuric acid to survive regular washing and wearing.

But this is pretty much the same procedure applied towards cotton?

Also these chemicals are are not that bad. Just pretty basic acids, lyes and resolvents. The color ist probably worse.

>> No.7134012

polyester, rayon, and nylon are fine tbh

>> No.7134034

>>7134004

Stick to using natural fibers: wool, cashmere, cotton, silk, linen, and hemp.

I'm not sure how cotton is treated. Perhaps only using organic cotton is best? I imagine it doesn't go through that chemical process or it wouldn't be able to be labeled organic.

>> No.7134037

>>7134034
>I imagine it doesn't go through that chemical process or it wouldn't be able to be labeled organic.
You're pretty stupid and clearly have no idea what organic actually means.

>> No.7134050

My good friend in HS was allergic to polyester and acrylic. She kept suffering from hives and a bad skin reaction and the doctors had no clue what was causing it, even after having her blood tested. Eventually she figured out it was her clothes she was wearing. Her symptoms went away after only wearing 100% cotton and other natural fabrics.

>> No.7134055

>>7134037
Organic cotton growers have to abide by biologically based growing practices that don't use chemicals/pesticides in their production system of cotton. Maybe you should go educated yourself dumbass.

>> No.7134065

>>7134037
Chief, organic cotton clothing does not use the amount of chemicals that regular cotton clothing does
Ignorant /fa/ggot
lol@OP gj

>> No.7134075

>>7134034
>>7134055
>And the product growing in the fields can directly put into a weaving machine.

All natural resources need to be processed and you will always need chemicals to create a clean product.

Fresh wool feels real greasy and dirty. You need to wash it - with chemicals, you need to bleach it - with chemicals, you dye it - with chemicals.

The amount of chemicals or better the amount of chemicals remaining in the finished product is relevant, but hard to check.

>> No.7134112

>>7134075
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_cotton

>> No.7134151

http://www.rapanuiclothing.com/ethical-fashion/deadly-chemicals-in-cotton-ejf.html

>> No.7134202

>>7134055
>growing practices
>in their production
Exactly dumbass. That's just the production. The processing and manufacturing is a whole different story.

>>7134075
Thank you.

>> No.7134211

>>7134112
Notice how all of that article is about the production of the raw material, not the actual fabrics and products it ends up as?

>> No.7134277

>>7134211
To make a regular white tee you buy from hanes or whatever, it takes a lot of chemicals, organic cotton shirts don't use this stuff.
Sure that shirt alone wont kill you but think of all the chemicals in your life and what happens to some because of it.
It's a good alternative

>> No.7134297

>>7134277
>organic cotton shirts don't use this stuff.
Prove it.

Prove that the manufacturers of the shirts, not the producers of the cotton, actually don't use "this stuff" to make their garments. Prove that they don't just slap organic on the label to trick idiots like you into paying more.

>think of all the chemicals in your life
For your own good, stop using chemicals as a buzzword. The cotton itself is made of every so scary "chemicals".

>> No.7134307

omgomg does this mean we can go naked in public again just like our ape ancestors?

>> No.7134317

>>7134297
>http://www.gaiam.com.au/article/organicfaq.aspx

>Organic cotton is grown without the use of toxic chemicals and it is not exposed to chemicals after the growth process.

Dyed organic cotton is treated with hydrogen peroxide and low-impact dyes.

>> No.7134332

>>7134297
The guy who posted above me, just owned you for me.
I know you're young and stupid but this stuff isn't something that was just executed.
This is common sense shit.
Next you'll ask someone to prove the Earth revolves around the Sun
Angsty little twat