[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 143 KB, 800x560, 1376715116146.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6905638 No.6905638[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

My wardrobe is quite shitty, I only got one pair of jeans left, some chinos, only one pair of white sneakers, a few tees and underwear, one shirt, no really warm parka for the winter, and a few good garments here and there (a varsity, a thin bomber...)

Been lurking here for ages but I never actually copped anything worth mentioning. Since winter is coming and that I don't have any sweaters, no hoodies or long sleeve tees, no good shoes, no warm outerwear nor knitwear, I need you guys' recommendations for basic, good quality pieces with a nice fit.

I can spend 800 dollars at most on those clothes.
Therefore, I need /fa/ to tell me what would be the most reasonable investments considering that small price range. I obviously won't buy Browne cardigans or anything, I need you to be reasonable and tell me which brands make good fitting clothes that LAST (quality is very important to me). If you had that money to spend, what would you buy?

>> No.6905642

Man, maybe you should, I don't know... Read the sticky first?

>> No.6905655

>>6905642
Oh, I did that. But I'm looking for stuff just a little bit more sophisticated than Uniqlo, especially when it comes down to quality.

The sticky is useful to an extent, but I still don't know where to look considering my requirements. And I don't know on which garments I should spend that money (how I should split it between garments)

>> No.6905665

>>6905655
What do you want us to do next time? Pick the pair of socks you have to wear? Do yourself a favor and lurk more.

>> No.6905679

>>6905665
Why be agressive tho m8

Just asking for personal experiences, I looked at the sticky and it's alright as I said but I need more information.

>> No.6905710

Common Projects for shoes
They last for ages, great investment

>> No.6905713

>>6905710
You sure I should spend almost half of my budget on sneakers? Aren't there cheaper, good quality shoes?

>> No.6905777

>>6905713
Flyknits?

>> No.6905802

>>6905799
wtf how cold are your winters

>> No.6905799

>>6905777
For the winter? You sure?

Nice trips btw

>> No.6905811

>>6905777
I own flyknits and common projects
CP's are amazing
They just feel like they'll last for ever
Flyknits are really comfy but not warm at all
Perfect for summer but def not for winter
Just a little bit of anecdotal evidence for u m8e

>> No.6905827

>>6905802
Not that cold, but I doubt Flyknits will stand the rain or anything. Or should I just put on thick socks?

>>6905811
Yeah I thought so. The most versatile ones would be the CPs then.

I'm searching for shoes which are well made and last a long time, which seem to be the CPs' case, but will they look like shit after some time?
I own white Paul Smith sneakers and damn, since I often get into wet environments and get stepped on my shoes sometimes, they look dirty and all worn out.

Therefore, I can't buy white CPs, but do you think even black ones will look good regardless of how long I own them?
I didn't manage to find CPs with black soles. Do they exist?

>> No.6905880
File: 213 KB, 900x599, cp black.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6905827
I own pic related (CP achilles mid)
Been too hot to wear them here in the UK but the rain and the cold are back so they'll be my go to winter shoes
Gonna wear them with some heavier denim and go for stacks and loose/top heavy silhouettes
Best thing to do is go on ebay and lurk for a while till you find a pair you want for cheap
White CP's improve with age from what i've seen
Looking to cop a 2nd hand pair to use as beaters

>> No.6906095

>>6905880
I see. If I buy CPs I'll be copping low tops though.

>too hot to wear
So for the Fall/Winter I should cop CPs and then wear Flyknits during the Summer/Spring for example? Would that be enough?

>cheap
Yeah I didn't think about eBay, I should be able to find affordable CPs there.

>improve with age
How so?

By the way, is the quality of Raf velcros good? I think I could find low tops for cheap but I wonder if they're as versatile and well made as CPs.

>> No.6906123

>>6906095
I don't own raf velcros so I can't comment on them soz
Anyway low tops will be good for summer
I didn't wear my cp's in summer 'cause I wore cropped jeans + flykints/docs without socks most of the time because it was well hot
I personally think white shoes that have been lived in look beautiful but they look great fresh out of the box too
Personally if it was me i'd cop some quick strikes for hot weather but I may just be bored of flyknits due to wearing them a lot

>> No.6906166

>>6906123
Well, do velcros have any kind of particular reputation when it comes to quality? I think they're made in Portugal but that doesn't mean shit nowadays

Yeah I understand. I don't like having only one pair of shoes, so I'll get Flyknits too. Just have to choose between CPs and velcros especially if I can get the latter for cheap (low tops)

Do your CPs hold well against the rain?
Also, are they comfortable enough?
I think three pairs of shoes should be enough (using my Paul Smiths as beaters) but I don't know if I need another pair for any special occasions.

>> No.6906174

>>6906095
Everyone told me velcros and cps are comparable and that they have the same sole but its not true tbh

Raf soles are very similar but feel thinner and not as sturdy. Overall quality is pretty good but not as good as cps tbh.

Velcros are still my favorite shoe really badass and they get lots of looks/comments (not that I particularly care about that)

>> No.6906200

>>6906174
Huh. I like low top black Velcros, but do you think I'll ever be able to find any on eBay? They seem extremely rare.

If not I'll just get black low top CPs.
Or maybe blue or something, though I don't know if they go well with any outfit...

>> No.6906229

>>6906200
There's no rush to buy anything m8e
Just bide your time
They'll pop up eventually
Lurk ebay/sufu/here and you'll get a sick deal
When it comes to CP's i'd get black or white achillies lows for sure but don't spend your entire budget on shoes , cop other stuff to
>Jeans
>Shirts
>Jumpers
Etcccccc

>> No.6906325

>>6906229
>you'll get a sick deal
Yeah I'll do that, I have some time anyway.

>cop other stuff
Yes, I'm not planning to blow half a grand on sneakers.

>>Jeans
Probably gonna cop a bunch of Levi's
>>Shirts
Don't know where to look. Rag and Bone and J. Crew would be alright I guess?
>>Jumpers
Dunno
>Etc
Yeah I need hoodies, tees, and more importantly, a coat/parka for the winter

>> No.6906372

>>6906325
>Jeans
Don't really like Levi tbh. I've found their cuts and quality pretty shitty.
Best pair of jeans i've owned so far have to be acne ace cash , well worth the money.
>Shirts
J.Crew are decent I guess
I'm saving up for some TB ones atm
>Jumpers
If it's gonna get mad cold then cop some cable knits and other interesting stuff
TB/Jil Sander/Raf/Acne/A.P.C all have really really nice stuff out atm
Sticky might help.
Anyway you can either cop like 3 items that will last for ever and always look good that you LOVE or get a really basic wardrobe which will contain all the stuff you'll need for the next 6 months or so but will probs fall apart fairly soon
(Stuff will shrink when washed , rip etc)
Up to you.
I'd personally believe less is more but it's your money m8e

>> No.6906481

>>6906372
>shitty
Well, the price is quite low. It's understandable.
>acne
Hm hm. What about APC? Worth the price?

ACNE and APC seem to be great for the price when it comes to denim. Naked and Famous, too. Any difference in quality between those three?
I won't pay more than 150-170 dollars for jeans anyway.

>decent I guess
Well, anything else that's good within the price range?
>Thom Browne
I heard the quality and cut wasn't that good. Is it true? Then again never handled any of their pieces so I don't know shit.

>TB
Can't afford.
>Jil Sander
Same thing. I think.
>Raf
I like their green/black sweater. Not too expensive. I'll look at that. The rest of his stuff is quite expensive though.
>Acne
>APC
Yeah those are affordable I guess.
What about AMI?
I've also had an eye on a Givenchy doberman sweater (their least expensive and least tacky one), but is Givenchy quality good considering that I'd be paying almost half a grand for a sweater?

>Sticky might help
It didn't help much but I looked again.

Well, given my price range which is 800 including shoes and considering that I need a parka or peacoat or something, what would you cop if you were me?
>like 3 items
I wouldn't want to go that far. A coat + shoes + a knit for 800 dollars would be pretty harsh.
I'm okay with buying good quality stuff instead of splurging everything on fifteen shitty garments that will fall apart.
I'm not okay with buying just three things, regardless of the quality, because I'm too poor to justify that.

Therefore, I guess the designers I should look at are APC and Acne mainly, since the others you mentioned are too pricey.

>shrink
>rip
Say I get a sweater from Raf or APC, will the quality be good enough so that I can toss it around and it won't get fucked up?

>less is more
I understand and I agree. However, I only have one pair of jeans, no warm coat, and a pair of shoes. No knits, either. I have to consider all of that.

>> No.6906534

>>6906481
Got a pair of n&f on the way so i'll let you know how they are when I get them
I have that raf dip dye jumper you're talking about and it's well comfy and the pattern is really interesting
Only Givenchy piece I have is a shirt and it fits really well , great quality.
Anyway the thing with high end stuff is that if you treat it well it'll last you forever. (Cold wash/hand wash and all that)
If I was you i'd find somewhere irl and try on some designer stuff you're interested so you can judge the leap in quality yourself.
Anyway i'd say go with brands like
>COS
>Acne
>A.P.C
>Our legacy

>> No.6906624

>>6906534
>i'll let you know
Yeah that would be cool, if the thread's still alive of course.

>dip dye
Yeah the black and green one, that's the one I'm talking about. Is it warm, too?

Yeah I figured Givenchy would be good. I don't know if that sweater's worth it, I'll wait until Mr. Porter's got stuff on sale in November.

>if you treat it well it'll last you forever
By "high end stuff" do you mean any brand really? 'Cause I also like some stuff by McQ, Marni, AMI, etc. As long as it's considered as "high end designer clothes", can I be sure the quality is worth it? I own stuff by designer diffusion lines and the quality is shit but since they're diffusion lines as I said, that might be normal

>try on
Will do

>>COS
Higher end H&M right?
>>Our legacy
Didn't think about it, thank you

I'll also look at ebay stuff

>> No.6906669

>>6906624
Higher end h&m indeed , think it's the same company and all sorts
Raf jumper is comfy as fuuuuuuuuuck
>High end stuff
As in high quality clothes.
Look at the new target x Philip Lim collab , someone posted saying it was 50% acrylic wtf
They basically put a label on it saying it'll be ruined the next time you wash it

>> No.6906689

>>6906669
>comfy
Cool then, will probably cop it

Damn, but how do you recognize if a garment is high quality and well made simply by handling it? Are they ways to tell depending on the materials used?

>> No.6906691

>>6906669
Also, any opinion on Lanvin sneakers?

>> No.6906698

>>6906691
>>6906689
Dunno about Lanvin
Well tbh the easiest way to judge something would be an irl comparison.
Take a similar jumper to a store which sells the raf one
Then compare them
You'll notice stuff like construction/texture/detail and all sorts

>> No.6906713

>>6906698
Huh I get it, ok

If I ask employees, usually, will they tell me the truth for high end stuff?
Like, "is this product really high quality", will they always say "yes of course" and try to bullshit me?

>> No.6906734

>>6906713
They'll probs bullshit u lol
Use your own intuition and do some research online first
You'll be fine m8e

>> No.6906739

So I need another pair of sneakers of whatever for everyday shit

I have some black nikes with white swooshes that are cool but idk what to get

i was thinking maybe roshes, nb's, or like air maxs?

any other suggestions?

also any suggestions for certain air maxes?

how do i pull off nb's?

>> No.6906740

>>6906713

What reason could they POSSIBLY have to lie?

>> No.6906756

What's a good designer for well made tees that last a long time

APC? Margiela? Anything else?
Acne fits like utter shit

>> No.6906761

>>6906740
Lel yeah sorry, I'm stupid.
i'm just not experienced with designer stuff at all so I have no way to tell how quality is

>> No.6906766

>>6906756

Sunspel.

>> No.6906813

>>6906766
Thanks

Any opinion on Schiesser?

>> No.6906823

>>6906766
Ooh that reminds me
I have 2 sunspel x doc martins polos
One black and yellow
One light burgundy and yellow
Size M
Interested?

>> No.6906827

Should I get a Givenchy scarf? Are they good?

>> No.6907105

Are acne sneakers as good as cps

>> No.6907367

>>6906827
get a hermès

>> No.6907403

>>6906200
I saw blue lows go for 2hunna like last month

Lows are sick more versatile than highs IMO

>> No.6907412

>>6907403
>more versatile
Not the guy you answered to; in which ways?

>> No.6907428

Tips on buying from eBay?

How can I tell if it's counterfeit? Spotted a Givenchy sweater for less than 200 dollars and I can't tell if it's a fake

>> No.6907434

>>6905638
If I was you I'd get some Red Wings 9111 or 8138 ($250), Penfield Kasson ($210), Ben Sherman Jumper ($100), and Rogue Territory Sk 14.5 oz Tonal ($210).

>> No.6907432

Hey, does anyone know the difference in quality between CPs and Ambassadors from Rakuten?

>> No.6907440

>>6906739
bampster

>> No.6907841

>>6907428
bump