[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 89 KB, 880x880, 211_OUTLIER_supermarineshell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6560605 No.6560605 [Reply] [Original]

Any of you buy from outlier? The quality looks really decent and there are a few pieces they have on their web store that have really caught my eye.

Is it worth their somewhat expensive prices?

>pic related
one of the pieces i might cop.

>> No.6560617
File: 79 KB, 880x999, 201_Slim_Dungaree2_front_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this too.

>> No.6560630

>>6560605
Bought the kierin cuts the other day, they've arrived but I'm getting them altered to fit better. Material feels nice and they seem sturdy, not a big fan of how easily they attract other grit to them. Dog hair, blanket fuzz etc. I'm also thinking about copping their collab with vans.

>> No.6560707

>>6560630
yeah i think i'm gonna cop the slim dungaree's instead of a pair of apc petit standards.

thanks m8

>> No.6560701
File: 28 KB, 700x467, 201_outlier_anorak_flats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Never bought anything from Outlier, but have only found out about them recently

>> No.6560848

I have mixed feelings about Outlier. On one hand, their pants are probably the greatest mass-produced ones ever. On the other hand, they seem to be pretty much coasting on that in everything else.

Their idea of a top to go with fancy, movement-cut, four way stretch, wicking Schoeller fabric pants? Cotton shirts with a stain resistant treatment and a pivot sleeve.

Their merino tees are completely unexceptional in every way, and they charge ~$35 more than the MSRP and ~$65 more for an easy to get discount on most outdoor brands, which will at least be raglan construction.

Their new backpack collab with Hyperlite? Everything great about it, except for making it black, comes off the equivalent Hyperlite model. They market it as being for travel, but it's too large for a carryon, and there's carryon backpacks with larger internal volume.

Their idea of a softshell is a jacket with really tightly woven cotton.

And the photography up on their site just gets goofy. "Lemme jump at this obviously non-moving train, like I'm hopping it!"

>> No.6560862

>>6560848
trains are cool

>> No.6560869
File: 57 KB, 880x999, 302-OUTLIER-KeirinCuts-Back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6560630
also interested in kierin cut, do you have medium to large thighs?
and what are you altering?
and did you pay retail?
lastly do you own anything else non-denim that has a similar cut you can suggest me?

>>6560605
is that death grips guys jacket we see posted every day?

been lurking /fa/ for a few years and never heard of outlier.. my confidence is shattered. seriously guys. what else don't I know about. we need some tech/sport/biking/athletic threads.

>> No.6560871
File: 130 KB, 880x587, 106-OUTLIER-UltralightBlazer-OhSnap[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6560862
They are, but having the same, apparently amateur, guy you have model all your shit jump at a non-moving one, pretending to hop it, to hock a blazer is beyond stupid.

>> No.6560878
File: 146 KB, 880x587, 110_OUTLIER_NewOG_10[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WTF is this guy even doing, here? Killing himself?

>>6560869
We have techwear threads a lot; it's kind of the thing for a lot of us on the board.

>> No.6560892

>>6560848

oh, this is sad to hear but good too, as I did want a pair of kierin , but I also liked some of their jackets. well. guess I'll save up for veilance or cop isoara in the fall.

>> No.6560891

>>6560871
yeah, that's probably true, but the train's nice.

>> No.6560906

Not exceptionally interesting or new.

I can't justify a purchase for myself when they are price wise competing with sophnet, Iosora, Arc'Teryx.

>> No.6560928

>>6560892
I mean, there's nothing really wrong with them. The Supermarine jacket is probably the best cotton hoody out there, but it's just a cotton hoody, and they're asking $575 for it, and pretending it's better than something with a more resistant outer and a wicking inner because it's supposedly more breathable (even once it's wet? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't sound like it) and because cotton doesn't make as much noise when it rubs up against cotton, something that doesn't seem to matter when it's a pair of pants or a blazer. The blazer's okay; they had a really, really nice done as a limited edition collaboration with FSC earlier this year.

>> No.6560936

>>6560878
yeah? and those threads post what, these shoes? is that a joke?
I'm not talking just tech, I mean a genuine 'I actually do real shit in real life' thread that exploits brands that offer clothing with substantial quality made for the build of a person and what they do. utility is made the prime quality and aesthetic a close second.
our tech threads are pasty unathletic kids marveling at tech fits which could very well be useless piles of shit or actually efficient pieces. like y3, who the fuck runs in y3s?
and biking/aerodynamic sweat wicking moisture clothing, we put reliance on brands fits with less regard to function. we just assume 'oh that's from vielance, it costs $1,200, it'll do everything'
threads need more conversation to go with the images.

a /fa/ thread for outdoors, fitness, biking and more. that would be impressive, but it won't happen because this board doesn't have the right demographic.

>> No.6560945
File: 298 KB, 500x498, tumblr_inline_mp5v3vlonx1qz4rgp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6560936
forgot image

>> No.6560954

>>6560892
But do pick up their pants.

>>6560906
These are good. Also look at Nau and all the major good outdoors companies (Patagonia, etc.) have good stuff, too.

Going further up in price, you have stuff like Acronym and Undercover, but that's, well, further up in price. If you like the designs of Undercover/Jun Takahashi, he has a really nice mid-priced collaboration with Nike going under the name of Gyakusou, named for the running club he belongs to.

The name means "Running the Wrong Way," and unlike every other Tokyo running club, these guys insist on running counterclockwise through the city's parks. Or so the story goes.

>> No.6560961

>>6560906
Don't compare Sophnet to Outlier, they're leagues apart aesthetically and Sophnet produces so much more than techwear.

I've got a few pairs of the climbers and a pair of dungarees. The climbers are great for summer, stretchy enough that I just treat them like sweatpants. The construction is pretty mediocre, lots of pilling in the fabric after taking them camping, had to resew the top button on within a week on both pairs, lots of loose seams.

>> No.6560970

I like their climbing pants. They'll probably be the next pair of pants I buy.

>> No.6560971

>>6560954
lol makes them sound a bit pretentious.

how do acronym and undercover hold against other outdoors focussed brands? do they lean more towards aesthetic and lose some quality in the process?

add rap a and icebreaker. icebreakers a fucking gem. 100% merino hoodies with unbeatable fits and quality for sometimes under $100. and their shirts pants underwear, all just as good, no compromising, and relatively cheap in their market.

>> No.6560972

>>6560945
You don't think utility is at least an equal consideration in most of the stuff posted in our techwear threads? Post stuff where you think that's the case.

Also, I wouldn't assume shit about the board's demographic.

As far as the Rick/Adidas shoes go, I wouldn't cop them myself, and I didn't get them at first, but poet or Twerk or someone offered a really great analysis of them that went something like this:

Rick's said he designed runners because, as he was getting older, he was having to do more cardio to keep healthy, versus just the weight training he loves. And he loves shoes with big, clunky soles, but they're not good for running. Solution? Remix the way you see sneakers with ribbed soles (something done for flexibility, something I didn't know) and just have two giant clunky blocks to land on, with a completely flexible space inbetween.

It's not my style (I dislike clunky soles) but it makes sense as an analysis, and if true, it's a brilliant design solution to the problem.

>> No.6560996

>>6560971
Honestly, yeah. I get the feeling they lost their way somewhere - the early product photography (you can still see it, say, on pages for their womens' pants) and emphasis was on stuff to get you through a day biking around New York - "bike to boardroom" (ick on the boardroom, though) to bar.

I don't actually own any Acronym or mainline Undercover stuff; I'm poor and just getting into fashion-techwear beyond stuff like Outlier and nice looking outdoor company stuff this year. So I can't say. But I've heard great things about the quality and utility of Acronym, which isn't to say Undercover is bad. It's just talked about less and I'm not sure.

>>6560971
Yeah, Icebreaker is my first choice for merino stuff (my preference in baselayers) too. I go with poly/fleece for midlayers, though, since it's not against your skin and they dry faster.