[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 133 KB, 500x536, 1937-mens-coats-500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17383127 No.17383127 [Reply] [Original]

So I was looking at a vintage overcoat. nice, fur lined affair. Double breasted. And I noticed something odd. It should be a 6 button, yet, the bottom row only has one button. The faux button is not there. There's no evidence of it being missing, it just looks as if it was made that way. Only the functional button exists. Is this a thing? Considering most coats you never button up the bottom button anyway so only the functional one exists? I have spares that are similar i can add, but I wanna know if thats supposed to be some stylistic thing I'm aware of before I go sewing a button on because "durr it's missing"

>> No.17383627

>>17383127
>Considering most coats you never button up the bottom button
thats a now-leaving modern fad

>> No.17383668

What you're describing sounds like a four on one. But I will also inform you that the bottom button is not a "faux button" at all, you can button it on the coldest of days without committing a faux pas or anything like that. Plus it's considered more traditional to close it even on a suit jacket. It's not forbidden like on a single breasted jacket.

>> No.17384639

>>17383668
many overcoats and even regular double breasted jackets, the right side buttons are fake.

this one, similarly has the fake right side buttons, but only for the top 2 rows, while the bottom row is just the left side functional one which was why I was wondering about that

>> No.17384671

>>17383127
I've never heard of such a thing, I think you should sew on the last button. If you later find you don't like it, you can always take it off again