[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 36 KB, 600x600, 0000273_rm-williams-comfort-craftsman-b543y.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14975049 No.14975049 [Reply] [Original]

Are they worth it? If you own a pair, how was your experience with them?

>> No.14975093

>>14975049
I don't know if they're worthy and i never owned a pair

>> No.14975196

I got the exact ones in OP's pic. They are fucking excellent. Granted I have only owned one other pair of boots but they are supremely comfortable and look great in business wear or with jeans. I think you can get them cheaper at outlet stores with minor flaws.

>> No.14976486

>>14975093
based

>> No.14976504

It's just fro aussie cunts, there are better choices for non-aussies

>> No.14976745

>>14976504
SAINT LAURENT PARIS

>> No.14976774

If you can find them cheap, their retail is way too high for what they are

>> No.14977762

>>14975049
if you can get them in Australia they are a great purchase, and dont get the comfort craftsman, go for the classic craftsman with the leather soles, the sizing is alil weird so try them on before buying. if youre outside of australia check out nungars they probably have the best price (but they take a while to ship)

>> No.14978216

>>14976745
I mean SLP bee kinda fresh doe ..but aren't all chelsea boots the same

>> No.14979320
File: 25 KB, 924x745, 1365016702689.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14978216
No. You'll find the quality of the leather, the construction is superb. Hedi Slimane does not fuck around when it comes to his boots, and it's worth the price tag.

No one does boots like Hedi does boots.

>> No.14980028

I've had a pair for a couple years now and I don't suspect I will ever buy another brand of Chelsea boot.
If price is a factor you can find discounted boots at outlet stores, but that will be a bit of a hunt.

I'm not going to give you any advice on styling, that's up to you. But do consider your choice of soul, the rubber soul or the leather soul. The rubber soul does give considerably more grip than the leather soul, and wearing my leather souled boots in hospitality jobs can be a fucking nightmare sometimes.

You will also have to choose your boot based on width and lenght, I wore the boots the sales lady recommended around my home for half an hour before I knew I needed to get the next width up. And when I went back the next day she was a real cunt about it, over two years later it was a great decision on my part, so don't go trudging around a field or some homeless infested street right away if you think you might need to return them for a size change.

Good Luck OP

>> No.14980038

>>14980028
>wearing my leather souled boots in hospitality jobs can be a fucking nightmare sometimes.
What's stopping you from having some half soles glues on?
Or even just some vibram grip pads?

>> No.14980296

if you do end up getting them i recommend getting the size that feels tight. the leather will stretch and soften to contour your feet and become the most comfortable shoes you own

>> No.14980324

>>14975049
I wear them most work days. They're durable, look good and feel nice. They don't match well with slimshit fits though so make sure you dress like an adult before buying

>> No.14980515

I have a pair of yearlings in size 10 when usually I get size 11 or 12.
Yearlings have a higher heel. When I tried them in a larger size I felt like I was sort of falling into the toes and also my feet would sort of slide out sideways when I walked.
Today I wonder how much of that sliding was inexperience with leather soles and shitty duck-footed everted feet walking.
I'm thinking about copping another pair with shorter heels in black. I think I'd get more use out of those.

>> No.14980558

>>14975049
Buy common projects instead

>> No.14980586

>using extremely pointy shoes ever

>> No.14980599

>>14975196
>working class larper

As an Aussie all i cant say is dont buy this shit, go buy CP or SLP boots instead, they're designed for the "farmers" but are too pricy for them so the only people who wear them are bureaucrats and guys working in their fathers businesses who spend most office hours sexually harassing women.

>> No.14980603

they are horrible

>> No.14980633

>>14980599
Ye RMs have some stigma, I feel self conscious walking around usyd because I don't want to come off as a yung lib

>> No.14980660

>>14980633
the only stigma is from seething arts students who think $500 for a business casual leather shoe is rich parents tier (while owning 5+ pairs of $200 meme sneakers)

now, I understand pissing on garish slim fit ralph lauren drones, but RMs are so versatile, one of the only premium consumer products in the barren aussie market, and removed of any (made up) cultural baggage are completely inoffensive

>> No.14980663

>>14980660
Based
>>14980599
CP & SLP are objectively inferior in construction and materials. I really hope this response was meant ironically.

>> No.14980721

>>14975049
>Are they worth it?
tl;dr they were, and from my perspective not now, but from a new buyer's pov if you want a chelsea one piece boot then yes

longform :
Over my life I've had about 8 or so pairs.
For a time I lived in a city with a really good RMW second's outlet where boots with mild aesthetic imperfections were sold for super cheap (some were totally fine so I have no fucking idea why they were tossed out).
Had about half and half retail to outlet priced pairs. Bought a bunch as gifts for others it was ridiculous.

Some generalities:
For a modern, mass made chelsea boot to have a one piece of leather construction is really something.
You can look at virtually all other ready-to-wear offerings, some top shelf brands, and they're two or even three piece. Last I looked there was only RMW, SLP and JM Weston, with RMW being magnitudes less expensive.

However, leather today isn't as good as the leather of yesteryear. This is across the board here, not just with RMW. Leather industry is a by product of the meat and with the force speed growing of cattle the leather quality has plummeted everywhere, so modern boot leather just isn't as good as it was say 20 to 30 years ago. I'm having some leather armchairs and a desk made and trying to find leather that won't crack in a few months is hard.
From the POV of a current buyer though RMW will suffice as anything will these days. Just wanted to point this general fact out about the state of the present. Have to pay higher and higher for quality as good as standard pair of the past. Such is life.

>> No.14980725

>>14980721
i;ve not edited this boomer rant be warned

Someone ITT mentioned to stay away from the comfort model. I would tend to agree. I have never had much confidence in their build compared to the time tested leather footbed model. I got the feeling that, although initially more comfy (like a sneaker) they got less comfy over time due to permanent compression of the cushion whereas conversely the leather ones got more comfortable (also apparently better for your gait too not walking on cushions 24/7 or something). Also, more prone to stinking and collecting sweat IME unlike the the leather.
You need to rotate your boots though, and use trees.

Leather soles, unless they're oak bark tanned, are shit. This goes for all leather soles today. Rm's are not oak bark tanned. Few shoes use them (all cost more than RM).
Wet soles will wear exponentially faster so stay out of the rain.
I have always been warned against applying a protector to RM's but have ignored that to no consequence. I have been shown "proof" of topy damage but I dunno what to believe.

RM's are god tier for travelling.
Easy to slip on and off at security and when on board. Great travelling boot.

There is only stigma within australia, and even then nobody really gives a shit. They are the only decently made mens footwear available there that isn't' that shitty two top parallel stich crap that metastasized out of nowhere during the past 20 years, so don't I don't begrudge any aussie that buys them because everything else locally available is actual shit. Sad state of affairs.
In Oz they used to be the well to do farmer's sunday best boots, then larping pollies bought them, then they got mass appeal among the yuppie youth. But really, nobody gives a shit what you wear just like everywhere else as long as you're not trying to fit in "high society" anywhere typical.

It's normal to find ordinary aussie businessmen wearing them for lack of a decent alternative. No stigma, just no other choice.

>> No.14980727

>>14980725
I've been very skeptical of RMW since the LVMH buyout, and still retain one pair from after the purchase. This pair seems fine, though the pricing has gone from
>best deal out there
to
>not really worth it unless you really want chelseas and can't afford the top shelf shit
I was buying boots at the outlet for 150 to 200 aussie. Retail I was getting them for what, 350 or so? This was in the past decade.
Now they're going for 500 fucking aussie dollaridoohickies and nothing has fucking changed. Price of materials? Inflation? Shit, knowing LVMH shit's probably gotten worse; everyone was worried about this. Variety has disappeared, and now in the RM's shops old basic models are relegated to special order and the comfort model is now somehow the standard fare.
Okay I get it it sells well because fags want their sneakers wherever they go but it's a bad sign IMO.

Now OOP was the best of both worlds: leather footbed, composite sole.
It was called the Blaxland for the craftsman model. The turnout (round toe) is just gone from the catalog last I looked. Maybe the changes were necessary for LVMH to keep things afloat and still make a profit? Dunno.
It would annoy me more if I were still interested in them.

But, that's only from my perspective as someone that's owned them for years.
>"just boomer things"

>> No.14980732

>>14980727
>Now they're going for 500 fucking aussie dollaridoohickies
wait, now that I remember it the pair I bought when last in australia for old times sake was more like 600AUD.
It's kinda heinous considering I used to pay about half that for them only 5 years ago, with much more variety on offer.
Still, like I said, if you want the a one piece of leather chelsea for the cheapest price, they're the only option.

>> No.14980798

>>14980599
>>14980633
Just buy a pair and embrace the based Collins st cowboy aesthetic. If you're at usyd at least you don't have as many whiny hipsters as us in Melbourne

>>14980660
This is spot on, as much as RMs are the go to for wanky rich kids, they are still really versatile and can look good with heaps of outfits. If you wanna distinguish yourself from the beige chinos/untucked ralph shirt/clubmaster crowd then get a black pair. Less casual than chestnut but still can dress them down

>> No.14980800

>>14980725
I've got a pair without the comfort insole but with a leather sole, which I reckon is the best of both worlds. I think they're called the Blaxland? I much prefer that pair over my comfort craftsmans