[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 207 KB, 1316x1133, M1938 leggings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14665767 No.14665767 [Reply] [Original]

I unironically wear these every day.Surplus canvas leggings are god-tier for blue-collar work. After a day walking around in mud, stone, and ore dust I can simply wipe off my boots and leggings and still look clean and professional instead of having to scrub and wash my pants to get the stains out.

I'm 100% positive that people probably make fun of me behind my back and talk shit, but at the end of the day, I have clean pants. You don't.

>> No.14665806

>implying anybody on /fa/ does physical labor for a living
loving every laugh

>> No.14665809

damn thanks for the rec anon, I work at a recycling plant and this will save me

>> No.14665815

What do you wear them with? Also where do you work?

>> No.14665816

>not just blasting the dirt off your pants with the air hose

Do you even work

>> No.14665832

>>14665815
I wear low leather boots, like 4 1/2" or so. You can't wear them with tall boots like 8" ones, but of course that would defeat the purpose of them. The leggings protect my pants and stop shit from getting inside my boots while still allowing me a lot of mobility that really bulky 8" boots don't provide. In the winter I'll wear some heavy-weight wool boot socks and it helps keep me warm as well. I work on a cargo ship.
>>14665816
Try blasting out caked on limestone mud with an air hose. There's a reason they use that shit to make concrete.

>> No.14665837

>>14665809
No problem man, a lot of people will probably think you look goofy but in a work environment who gives a shit. If you work around machinery they have the added bonus of keeping your trouser legs from getting caught inside of machinery and shit, which has happened to me on more than one occasion, I'm just lucky I haven't lost a leg from it yet. But with these puppies, I don't have to worry about that much anymore. No shoelaces sticking out to trip on, no pant legs to get caught in stuff, and if you get snagged on a piece of sharp metal or something, the heavy duty canvas these things are made of will protect your clothes, and your skin.

>> No.14665843

>>14665832
If your job involves playing in mud like that then you've got a work-issued overall or slick bib anyway, or else you've got some serious negotiating to do in your contract.

>> No.14665846

>>14665843
>work-issued
If by work-issued you mean I have to pay $120 for them and they suck ass, then yes. In this line of work most guys chew through 4-5 good pairs of blue jeans in a season anyways, the boiler suits don't last much longer and you can't wear them on the dock.

>> No.14665848

>>14665846
>I have to pay $120 for them and they suck ass
Your contract is shit and you need to re-negotiate.

>> No.14665850

>>14665837
yeah that's hugely important dude, glad you haven't lost a limb. it happens pretty often in jobs like this. that added protection would be great, I get 100+ lb pieces of steel that fall off the table and snag at my pant legs just about every day

>> No.14665863

>>14665848
>you need to re-negotiate
yeah, way easier said than done. if you're working blue-collar jobs like this it's to gain upwards mobility on your own, which takes an insane amount of effort and sacrificing things like the ability to walk away from employment

>> No.14665879

>>14665848
You don't really understand how our industry works. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but that is a lot easier said than done. Our union is one of the most corrupt ones around, to the point that it's just the company benefits plan, what little there is. They do what the companies tell them to do. The last time the union put its foot down and drew a line in the sand, three companies decided they'd be better off just selling or scrapping their entire fleets. Thousands of people lost their jobs. Nobody with a brain and none of the old timers that remember the 1980s and 2008 are going to put their livelihoods on the line again for free clothes.

>> No.14665886

>>14665850
You should definitely try them out then man. There's lots of WWII reenactment companies around on the internet who sell reproduction ones for a pretty fair price. If you get some of the lighter colored ones that the Marine Corps used, they take dye very well. So if you don't want them to stand out so much, you could easily dye them dark blue to match jeans, or black or basically any color, canvas is pretty versatile when it comes to color.

>> No.14665890

>>14665879
It's not about "free clothes", it's about your employer providing the necessary equipment for you to do your job safely and comfortably.
If your employer truly is ready to drop its entire workforce like that, move. Loyalty to a shitbird operation like that will get you nothing.

>> No.14665896
File: 868 KB, 2048x1536, IMG_4265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14665890
They do provide the equipment we need to do our job. Hard hats and gloves. Nobody out here is so entitled that they think the company should clothe them. As I said, it's a moot point because you don't wear a boiler suit on the dock. They're too baggy, they get caught on too much shit and most of the time they don't offer enough movement.
>move
Lol, and do what? Virtually none of the skills a sailor has translates on land. It's not like being a welder where you could go work for a thousand different companies that need welders. The American Merchant Marine gets smaller every year, the companies themselves are barely turning enough of a profit to keep their ships running ever since the government stopped supporting American shipbuilding and merchant shipping decades ago. So I really don't blame them when companies like Oglebay Norton and Cleveland Cliffs decided to just sell their entire fleet and invest in something else when guys started demanding more than the company could afford to give. Like I said, you don't understand our industry or our work regulations. We aren't even covered by OSHA, we have a separate work standard, SSHA. Sailors have always been a unique exception in the labor force for virtually everything. Different laws apply to us, different rights apply to us. To the point that we, along with members of the armed forces and prisoners, are the only people not covered by the 14th Amendment.

>> No.14665901

>>14665896
>>14665890
>14th Amendment
Excuse me, 13th Amendment, which for everyone else guarantees the right to not be compelled to do work against your will.

>> No.14665930

dude how do you get into the merchant marine? I'm a plumber, I mostly do sewer but I'm tired of digging holes and busting concrete and I'm not too good at sales. any way i like the idea of the leggings; I usually have an extra, clean pair of pants and boots in case i finish up a job and have to go to another customer's house or something.

>> No.14665946

>>14665767
I wore a similar thing while planting trees in Canada. While many of my fellow workers got ticks up their crotch I got nothing. Also good for loose pants when riding a motorcycle, stops the flapping.

>> No.14665953

>>14665930
Get a TWIC (Transportation Worker's Identity Credential or some shit like that) and a MMC (Merchant Mariner's Credential). The requirements for the MMC may have changed since when I got mine, but I think you have to have a shipping company sponsor you for it. Back in the day, a union or school could also sponsor you and when you got it you'd be put on a waiting list to be called when there was a job lined up. I don't think they do that anymore, companies are hurting for people so bad that they'll often directly sponsor you. But again, I got mine a long time ago. You can expect a longer wait to get a deep-sea job than if you worked on tugs or the Great Lakes. The Lakes pays less money for harder work, so you can see why everyone wants to work deep-sea. But, working deep-sea also has its disadvantages. For starters, it's much more unionized, and you won't be getting steady work until you get your A-book with the union, which can take a while. The companies on the Lakes either hire directly or do a sort of "in house" union system, where you're hired by the company directly and you automatically become a member of the union after so many days. You make less money and work harder, but the work is more consistent.

MSC (Military Sealift Command) is hiring lots of deck guys right now too from what I hear. Those are the guys that supply the Navy and shit. You can go to some neat places on their ships. I went all over the Far East, the Med, even Antarctica when I worked with them. Now I try to stay closer to home. That's the other thing you'll have to get used to. Just plan on not being home when loved ones pass away, expect your wife/girlfriend to cheat on you, and expect many of your "friends" to suddenly not be your friends anymore. You go out there for months at a time. Time works funny out there. Every day is the same routine for you, it's like it doesn't even pass. But when you come home, everyone else has moved on with their lives.

>> No.14665962

>>14665953
>>14665930
And I'd like to reiterate that last point too. The work itself might be physically demanding, but it isn't difficult. There's a reason they call our equipment "sailor-proof." The reason so many guys quit so early into it is because you need to realize what it means for your social life being gone that long. I've never been home for a major holiday, my birthday, weddings, or anything like that in at least 10 years. Many of my family members that have passed away did so while I was gone, I never got a chance to say goodbye or even speak at their funeral, the only thing waiting when I got home was a headstone. My wife ran off with the neighbor while I was freezing my ass off in a storm in the North Pacific. A good friend of mine who is also a sailor was married to the love of his life, happily, for a few years before she got cancer. He had to work constantly to pay the bills, when the call came that it was her final hours, he was lucky enough that the ship was docked, but he made it to the hospital literally minutes after she died.

These are the difficult parts of the job. And no matter how heartbreaking or aggravating these events are, you still have to wake up the next morning and do your job like it's a regular day.

>> No.14665966

>>14665767
Are you Ronald McDonald?

>> No.14666033

>>14665962
If it sucks so much why do it?

>> No.14666051

>>14666033
You get institutionalized after a while. Get used to the routine of things. I started doing this when I was real young, by the time I was old enough to start thinking about a stable family and a settled life on shore it was too late. Boozin and whorin your way around the world is real fun for about 10 years, after that the thrill kinda wears off and you start thinking about your alimony payments and the fact that nobody will be around to remember you after you kick the bucket.

Anyways, all of this is kinda getting off topic. I made this thread to talk about how awesome leggings are, not for career advice.

>> No.14666466
File: 364 KB, 1500x1000, 454745d6502dbeb03c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14665767
Here's an actual god tier item for blue collar work.

>> No.14666585

OP is the least gay person on /fa/

>> No.14666675

As long as you're actually using it and not wearing it like some cuck trying to be edgy it should be fine. I wear funny looking cycling shoes when I work because I'm a messenger, doesn't really matter what you look like when you wear it.

>> No.14666783

>>14665896
FYI jeans usually last a lot longer than 3 months. It's not normal.

>> No.14666809
File: 981 KB, 2983x1738, 1471307309338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14665767
What the fuck has /fa/ become lmao. This board never was amazing but in 2016 most people at least posted 90s style, techwear, or just chill outfits. Now this board is 50% people from /pol/ trying to look like a SS member and 50% reddit newfags unironically wearing menswear and shitty prep stuff in 2019. Plus a few mexicans wearing jordans and monster energy snapbacks calling everyone else a hipster

>> No.14666866

>>14665767
Being in ironically blue collar is not effay

>> No.14666913

>>14666866
suck me on soft, NEET

>> No.14667175
File: 173 KB, 1200x600, 1563906942426.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14665816
>not just blasting the dirt off your pants with the air hose

do you even know what that shit does to your skin and blood?

>> No.14667192

>>14666809
>2016

lmao newfag

there were milsurp nazi threads in 2009 already

>> No.14667383

>>14666466
ID please.

>> No.14667399

>>14667383
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/soviet-kirza-boots-surplus/62486

>> No.14667405