[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 178 KB, 736x1053, 1556614389425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14596976 No.14596976 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here earn some money through custom tailoring and designing custom clothing? I know that generally the fashion market is absolutely saturated because of tons of fashion graduates wanting to become famous designers, but what about being satisfied with an existence as a small, independent tailor? Is this feasible for a minimalist existence or is there too much competition for a hobbyist?

>> No.14596978

There's a woman in my town that does this and absolutely makes bank. Lately she has employed 4 other girls and is more manager than tailor now

>> No.14597085

>>14596978
But is she the norm or exception?

>> No.14597477

Years ago while I was in university, I worked at a clothing store in LA. Almost all of my coworkers were at FIDM. I will never forget them showing me their work, and how utterly atrocious it all was. Horrible cuts, horrible materials because they're poor students, ugly little models. Just really awful. I've seen the work of graphic design students and fine art students and you usually see some great talent. But these FIDM kids were just bad.

My opinion is that they're aspiring to be the person who's already famous, not aspiring to work had and become famous. Even in your picture, Yohji wasn't like "I'm gonna become the next #JAPONESE "VIRGIL". He made dressed with his Mom and hated rich cunts.

The people that become famous I think have ideas and personal philosophies that come through in clothing. Even if you hate it or its a meme, it's still there.

Now when you look at basically all the tailors around you, it's basically all middle age Asian immigrants who hem jeans to put food on the table.

If you become a tailor, you can probably make money and hemming jeans and taking in dresses will be your bread and butter. But once you start making custom suits, who's to say they should buy yours?

There has to be a reason to choose you and it can't come from skill alone.

>> No.14597509

>>14597477
>hated rich cunts
ironic because he ended up making clothing for rich cunts