[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 170 KB, 1200x1415, 1200px-The_Salvation_Army.svg[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13986731 No.13986731 [Reply] [Original]

How do you get the most out of thriving? I've got a super basic style going after a year but I feel like I've plateaued.

>> No.13986741
File: 36 KB, 640x640, 1546741325900.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13986731
1) I recommend you develop your taste by lurking here more or looking at photo albums.
2) Experiment by trying to make an outfit out of what you can find at the thrift store, and develop what you like / don't like
Hope this helps anon <3

>> No.13986779
File: 121 KB, 586x768, 1533766663565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13986741

Nah, I've been building a wardrobe out of thrifting for over a year now with /fa/'s help. People always make an off comment about how I must be a professor judging by my dress.

Looking to refine my shopping and style now.

>> No.13987150

>>13986731
It may sound odd, but try finding out when salvation army or some other thriftstore gets in their "new" shipments.
A lot of people lurk at thriftstores to find the best pieces: the longer you wait after there's a restocking, the shittier clothes you're going to find.
I always go to my local church-thriftshop the day they get new stuff in and I always find better stuff than before I did:
high-quality dress shirts and trousers from deceased grandpa's
Relatively "new" sneakers donated by moms with kids that are still growing
Expensive jackets that got dumped after they got out of style
etc. etc.

The earlier you're there, the more likely you're gonna find good stuff.

>> No.13987325

>>13987150

Are workers there good with sharing that information? I never thought to ask.

>> No.13987355

>>13986731
Replace any marginal items with better quality, better fabric. Be picky and only scoop the best of the best. Thrift if you travel, new areas, new stuff. Try some estate sales, consignment shops and haggle a little at those, thrift/charity shops usually won't bargain but consignments/vintage, etc often will. Church rummage sales, group/block/neighborhood yard sales

People who thrift for resale follow what >>13987150 said, they snatch the best stuff within a day of a restock so don't be cheap and wait for the discount days or colored tag sales.

>> No.13987373

>>13987325
I've been coming there for about 3 years now so the old ladies running the place know me by now, in a good way I mean. They tell me when they're about to recieve new stuff.

So I think they're good with sharing info if they know you and are just there for yourself. They fucking hate the guts of hipster girls coming there to buy vintage stuff to resell online or in some fancy shop in the city.

>> No.13987526

>>13986731
I've been going to thrift stores, yard sales, and antique stores all of my life (26), since my parents would look for old stuff to sell (much harder to do now) and take me with them

The absolute BEST time of the year to go is right about now. It's after Christmas and New Year's, people are getting rid of old stuff they don't want and it's right before tax season so people are trying to get that write off. I've always found the best stuff right at the beginning of the new year in January

You really have to check each store and check often if you're serious about it. But some stores have certain days when they put new stuff out. For Goodwill, at least locally in Texas, Mondays are the best in my experience, and the time when you are most likely to find new items.

It's really competitive out there though, a lot of other dealers and resellers come out early and even wait in line for the stores to open to get the first pick of the crop, like at my city's main Salvation Army. Still, a lot of stores continually put things out throughout the day.

As for discounts, some stores have specials on certain days or have discounts based on the tag color or date. It's good to be aware of what sales are going on and if the item gets reduced to a lower price after a certain date (though it's always a risk that someone else will buy it if you play the waiting game like that)

I also like to check the bins and carts the employees push around while they're putting new items on the floor since that stuff hasn't really been picked through by other customers too much yet.

Ideally, if there's a day you have free, you want to hit up as many stores as possible, as early as possible. For many people these days are on a Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon, but those are the busiest and craziest days because there is usually some type of discount going on and everyone is off and going shopping.

Also try to check every section of the store, no matter what you are looking for.

>> No.13988595

>>13986731
iirc salvation army does wednesdays half off

thrifting is always cheap but I find the discount encourages me to take more risks

also make sure to check out the womens section too, lots of good sweaters in my experience

>> No.13988605

I have a cousin who wears thrift store junk and he actually looks retarded.

I'll stick to new, organic things thank you

>> No.13988681

>>13988605
Don’t hate the thrift man, you still need a keen eye and good sense of fashion to get the most out of it

>> No.13988695

>>13988681
All the clothing I ever bought in thrift stores still smelled years later and I bet they came off the back of some crackhead. I just go to Goodwill for the books and furniture now.

>> No.13988970

>>13988695
Thats why you smell the clothes you want before you actually buy them. Thriftshopping requires more attention to details then when shopping in a regular store.