[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 833 KB, 1580x1158, Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 6.59.21 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13461375 No.13461375 [Reply] [Original]

i want to buy good pants.
none of my pants are amazing, none of my pants are really like, "whoa".
i want pants that impress, like how women wearing dresses with pockets can proudly announce that their dress has pockets.
the only pants i really wear casually lately are the uh, uniqlo chinos or whatever.

the problem is that i am a thin and not very tall man, 29 W ~30 L (pls, no bully). in the past i've had to cuff most of my pance. nooooot cool, broe!
i'm thinking about wool pants.
do you guys recommend any hopefully-not-too-expensive basic pants, wool or otherwise, preferably with accommodating sizing options? or, if not, how would you go about tackling the situation personally (if anyone can recommend any good tailors for alterations in nyc you can drop that too please lol i don't know what to say to a tailor to get what i want)

how do you get pants that fit good when you're not tall?

someone recommended these a while ago - of course they'd have to be altered, but they look pretty barazz, don't dey?

>> No.13461383

Pants for manlets? Err try thrifting then tailoring works out cheaper and if you cop a steal better value for money too

Good luck

>> No.13461443

>>13461383
thank u.

>> No.13461476
File: 241 KB, 1328x856, Connery-Trousers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13461375
>>13461383
I second this. 1.77m (I think that's 5 9) and had the same problem with you up until a year ago. All I owned was skinny chinos and I didn't know why my outfits didn't pop. What was missing. First of all was the high waist. Get pants that reach at least up to the belly button. Us manlets can pull it off quite well and looks proportional compared to a longer torso silhouette that lower rise pants create. Second, the material. The material is essential to the drape of the fit, go full natural fibers whatever the cost. Third, the details, mainly cuffs and pleats. I go for 5cm cuffs and as for the pleats I have all of the variations, plain front, 1, 2, 3 pleats, forward pleats, hidden pleats etc.

As for the cost per pant, 20 eurodollars at the most. I get full wool, and it's variations (cashmere, merino etc), cotton and linen pants from thrifts shops for usually 5 and if the alterations are a lot of work my tailor charges for 15 eurodollars per pants, otherwise for 5 or 10.

Some pro tips, get either no break or a quarter break, cuffs add a little weight to the end of the trousers thus making a better drape, pleats provide a more appealing look to an otherwise empty flat front which can be quite beneficial considering there's a lot of empty room detail wise on flat fronted high waisted pants. Find a good tailor and bargain for the price.

Good luck OP.

>> No.13461482

>>13461375
if you are buying APC try to get them for as low as possible. They really aren't that well made.

>> No.13461917
File: 262 KB, 1080x923, 1526003692928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13461476
whoa thank you, i thought this thread would've died i'm really glad i kept it open to refresh hours later! i appreciate the help and thank you for the good luck wishes.

i've just heard back from a friend about a good tailor, which is looking good! but, my question is, if there's anyone who can still help - and i know this is a silly question, i'm not sure how to word it - what exactly do i ask a tailor... to do? i mean... i'm really not trolling, i know this sounds silly and i'm sure it's clear by now i'm not an /fa/ regular but i've never spoken to a tailor before! do i just bring in the pants i've bought by this point and ask for no break and give my measurements?
actually that sounds pretty good and not that intimidating after all
thanks!

if anyone else has any advice for pants or, again, good tailors or places to thrift for pants in the nyc area, i hope it isn't a faux pas to bump this again!

>> No.13461984

>>13461917
Go to tailor. Tell him/her you need pants hemmed. Put the pants on. Indicate where you want them cropped. They put a clothespin there. Done. At least that's how it always goes for me.

>> No.13462051

>>13461482
This. Two of my beltloops popped off. I really like their fit but I wouldn't buy them for more than 70$.