[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 97 KB, 1080x1080, longhair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13409110 No.13409110 [Reply] [Original]

I've been really torn on my fashion and hair style. For the longest time I've had long like in pic related, but recently I've been feeling like shit and want to change. Can anyone give me some advice for having long hair as a guy or what to do to dress better and feel better about myself. I really am at a lost on what to do.

>> No.13409117

>>13409110
cut your hair short, stop smoking weed, throw away your graphic tees, buy docs and a pair of black jeans. that'll take you halfway where you want to be going

>> No.13409123
File: 106 KB, 434x646, layers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If your hair is like picture related then you really need to lop about two or three inches off the ends. I notice a lot of guys with long hair do this - they don't trim regularly which you really have to do if you want to good length. Eventually, your hair will just split and get rats tails which makes it, ironically, look shorter. I mean, if your whole thing is 'man inna woods' and you don't care, fine, but if you want to keep growing and keep it looking healthy, then you need to trim it.

Otherwise, just cut some layers into it. Like pic related - nothing dramatic, just a couple of layers. Also if your hair is the same as in OP, my hair is naturally this colour too so put some lemon juice mixed in with conditioner all over it and sit out in the sun. It'll naturally lighten what's already likely to be light and will really bring out any natural highlights.

>> No.13409132

>>13409123
thanks, wasn't really expecting any to actually reply with good advice.

>> No.13409134
File: 138 KB, 787x724, nope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah, I mean that length has really gone to shit. He needs everything below this red line taken off. That's why it looks so straggly and wispy. Not a good look at all.

Trim your hair guys.

>> No.13409136

>>13409132
No probs. Try the lemon juice trick, too. Not trolling - it's an actual thing and if you're like that (kind of mousy browny blondey kind of brown) you'll be really happy with the result. You can also just put lemon juice all over, tie it up and go out in the sun but just make sure you give it a good condition later. I do this all the time in summer and it works beautifully.

But yes, please trim up. Cutting a couple of layers in is a good opportunity to do that. You can take off all the crap, and give yourself a new feel for a while. Just two layers. Guys don't look so great with overly fussy long hair (I don't think anyway). It'll still look very manly with just a couple of layers, don't worry.

>> No.13409140

>>13409136
So i'm going to sound a like bit more like an idiot, but what exactly do you mean by layers. I really haven't gotten a hair cut in years nor have i really cared about my appearance till now.

>> No.13409151
File: 325 KB, 1621x605, men with hair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13409140
Ok, so layers just means the hair is cut to slightly different lengths. I've put together this handy little composite for you.

Guy with no layers - hair is just all one length (you need to have very healthy, regularly trimmed hair for this to work)

Guy with two layers - so just two: the one at the bottom, a layer cut above that, and then he's got some face shaping as well. You can do this very subtly.

Guy with multi-layers - so this is a whole lot that's styled to look like those guys in the 70s. It's nice but unless you want a distinct 'look' I'd be careful with something like this.

Is that clearer? If not, let me know and I'll try explain it again.

>> No.13409166

>>13409151
You've been a real bro, thank you for your help and patience.

>> No.13409172

>>13409166
No problem. If you really want to get a cut, I'd strongly advise investing in a trip to a salon. Just look for photos you like, take it in, tell them you want a trim with some face shaping, etc. They'll likely tell you you have to take a lot of length off because they're like this. Just go with what they suggest because if you haven't had it cut for a while, I'd guess it'll probably really need a good trim which might mean taking a few inches off.

Alternativey, I tried looking for some guy long hair trimming videos but unsurprisingly there aren't any I came across. So, I'll just put this up for you in case you want to do it yourself. She's got the most annoying as all fuck voice but her method here is the standard for home trimming. She calls it three layers but it's actually two and some face shaping. Anyway, as irritating as she is, she knows what she's doing, so this might be something to think about too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjEXpYNRNk

>> No.13409665

>>13409110
I started working out, not gym 100% focused but just working a basic routine at home, and I started to get better. Felt more out going and such which helped a lot.
This Anon >>13409123 gave some good advice, but I'm not sure about the lemon part since lemon under the sun usually causes the skin to burn.
Another advice is I used to use shampoo/conditioner with salt, I later started using without salt and my hair looks/feels better, at least what people have said. The first week or two changing, your hair will be frizzy, but then it will go back to normal.
Try to style it somehow. Mine is very straight and I can't tie it without falling, I'm using some of those hair pins or just a pencil/Hashim stick which makes it stay.

>> No.13410618

>>13409665
> lemon
It won't burn your hair. Like I said, it's not trolling - it's a long-standing thing people do. If you have a tendency for highlights as in OP (like I do), then all it does is make those bits highlight faster and better. I do it every summer and the effect is amazing. All you have to do is make sure you do a good condition every now and again, but then you should be doing that with long hair, anyway. Along with trimming regularly.

>> No.13410741
File: 51 KB, 350x438, 22115_9596775_a4506760_edit_jpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13409110
Maybe it's because I'm older than the average /fa/g but I've really enjoyed a kind of Jeff Bridges method the last few years. Hair is layered and long-ish but rarely goes beyond the collar. Pair that up with a well trimmed beard and you've got a look that can pass for either well groomed or loose and casual depending on the situation. But then I also unashamedly rock an anachronistic 70s/early 80s style so if you're trying to be cutting edge and contemporary it might not be for you.

>> No.13411032
File: 274 KB, 600x600, chris-cornell-long-hair-consistentwith-anyone-who-wants-trending-center.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13409172
Hey hairanon, any advice for this type hair? I haven't touched it in two years. I noticed some knots in the tips though, I need to get it trimmed. I want to keep growing it longer as it isn't as long as pic related yet, but I could definitely use some maintenance. Is there any layering I should do? Could I trim it myself?

>> No.13411326
File: 256 KB, 1377x607, curly hair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411032
Ok, so luckily this is how my hair is, too. One thing I can guarantee you is you absolutely have to trim curly hair and you need to condition it properly, too. I think a lot of guys get put off with this but a) it's not faggy to do things like trim every six weeks or so, and b) it's not girly to condition your hair. You need to make the most of what you have, and that's true for everyone regardless. If you have curly hair and you want it long and looking good, then you need to take these steps. Not taking them just makes your hair look straggly and shit, and it becomes counterproductive.

So, again, I put together a composite for you. A lot of what I suggest will come down to your length, too and what your current situation is. So here:

1) This is shorter and a kind of bevelled bob. This really needs cutting by a professional. The problem with this cut is that it'll start to grow out weird so you either have to keep trimming those layers, or you need to let the top layer get to the length you want and then cut the ones below to even up. Long time, lot of faff.

2) Layers - The issue here and why I showed it is this is what happens to a lot of long hair in salons. They just hack layers in and basically ruin it. You really need someone who knows how to cut curly hair because people who don't know what they're doing, layer up like this but you can see the bottom layers are straggly. See how it goes all wispy at the ends? That's wrong. That means the hair is splitting. And if your hair splits, it won't grow at all. A LOT of people - both sexes - make this mistake. They just want length at all costs but then complain "it's not growing". This is why. You NEED to cut this crap out.

3) This guy is doing it right. That's one length, and in excellent condition. No 'rat tails'.

So, it depends on your length. Let me know what you think. If you want to put up a photo of your hair too (block out your face if you want), I can help you further.

(cont'd).

>> No.13411334

>>13409110
>I've been feeling like shit and want to change.

Picture how you want to feel.

What would a guy that feels like that all the time look like? Stereo-typically, of course.

Change to look like that stereotype.

>> No.13411347
File: 134 KB, 652x652, trim curly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411032
>>13411326
And then just to talk about the guy in your pic, quickly. Even though his hair is fairly well-trimmed, I can guarantee you this guy has gone to his stylist and told them to take the least amount of length off possible for the trim. And he doesn't do it often. Know how I know? Because you can see it's tightly curling at the bottom but not on the rest of the length going down. Sure give-away that not enough is being taken off the length. So again, they're hacking layers into it. And again, it has this sort of 'collapsing' look to it. It's nice, don't get me wrong - but it could be even better.

So, as in related - if this was me - I'd lop off to the red line and get it all one length. Or I'd take off about an inch or two from the bottom layer (blue) just to get it more evened out. Layers generally are used to make hair look thicker so you really don't need them for curly hair. In fact, they're used opposite - to thin it out. But you can see here, like me, too, this guy has curly but quite fine hair so one length would be absolutely ideal to max out its potential.

I'll put up this video to show trimming. This girl is another idiot but she's good for one length curly trimming, plus she does it dry which if you do it yourself you MUST do. NEVER cut curly hair wet (another fuck up salons make). Another interesting thing to note here is she only "cuts once a year" (wrong), and she needs to take at least another two inches off. You should have no straggly bits at all. Otherwise, she does everything right, and she's a rare video of someone with long, one length, curly hair, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0M6nlwaSk&t=198s

Final point is you need to condition your hair. Any hair line is fine just get ones that do stuff for curly hair and especially the conditioners. Just shampoo, conditon, leave on for 5 minutes, work through your hair. It's really not a biggie, and like I say, you're just maximising the potential of what you have.

>> No.13411357

>>13411032
Oh, sorry, one final thing I forgot about your post. Yeah, if you're getting knots in your ends, that's a sign you need to trim up. That happens because your hair is weaker at the ends, and splitting which makes it go all gnarly. I would just avoid layers as much as possible, and try get it to a good, healthy length first. Like mine was waist length and I cut the lot off about a year ago to my neck and now I'm steadily growing it out again with just a bit of face shaping.

Again, put up a photo of yours at the moment, and I'll help you from there on what to do for a trim. It goes without saying, but you should always be careful of anyone on the internet saying you should cut off your hair. Me included, so just bear that in mind.

>> No.13411374

>>13411326
>>13411347
>>13411357
Thanks for the advice anon, I'll get a photo up tomorrow assuming the thread is here

>> No.13411375

>>13411374
Ok, cool.

>> No.13411489 [DELETED] 
File: 671 KB, 1280x960, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hijacking the thread cause I'm in OP exact spot. Help me out with hairspo, beardspo or general advice. Pic related it's me

>> No.13411504
File: 281 KB, 1280x960, A1DA69D1-AB27-4695-B9B1-95DB6DB7F34D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hijacking the thread cause I'm in OP exact spot. Help me out with hairspo, beardspo or general advice. Pic related it's me

>> No.13411514
File: 317 KB, 1436x700, manly man man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411504
Welp, I'm trying but I just can't think of a single thing to suggest. I can't see your length ends so maybe give them a trim, but your beard looks in very good nick so I suspect your hair is too. Try the lemon juice thing (seriously - I know I go on about this a lot but it really works and you again have that kind of hair where some parts of it are naturally more highlighted than others).

Otherwise, you look gorgeous. Ultimate manly man. Don't change anything. Oh, yeah, this bun maybe. I like this on guys with long hair. Not faggy - just casually pull it up. How to do: same as if tying in a pony tail but don't pull the hair all the way through, and then loop the band again around so it's sort of 'bunned' to your head.

>> No.13411517
File: 858 KB, 1197x1304, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411514
Thanks man for the nice words. I usually tie them like this. I'm rocking this look since mid 2000... Wanted to change it a bit, maybe still long, or just shave it all away, who cares. But since I have so much of them I figured I could try some new ideas, and if I just fuck my shit up I'm not afraid to buzzcut. Any bunspo?

>> No.13411526
File: 304 KB, 1742x608, tying ideas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411517
No, no. Please, don't change anything here. Trim a bit, maybe? Also, for this bun, I'd pull it through to about half that and then loop the band round once more. It'll give it a slightly messier look. I mean if you can be bothered. I think guys with hair that looks to 'done' is a massive turn off. But then it depends I guess. Certainly, I think all of this works beautifully. Just don't change any of it.

Two other tips: half pony, and nape bun. A lot of guys go for higher buns but a nape would work well for your profile/beard, too. Same rule with the tying again. Don't half pull through - it's about a third, then take the band again and loop it round, then pull the hair through again (like another pony tail). It'll give it that slightly messier, look. You need to practice it a bit I guess.

>> No.13412391

>>13410741
I like this. Timeless elegance.

>> No.13412665
File: 2.66 MB, 2448x3264, P_20180531_230738_BF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Throwing my hat into the ring because of uncanny levels of help in this thread. Any advice?

>> No.13412669
File: 2.84 MB, 2448x3264, P_20180531_230844_BF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13412665
from the side

>> No.13412693
File: 488 KB, 1715x2204, 1515752043966.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13411375
alright here's a pic, it's been getting humid out so it's a little frizzy. Also yeah I never condition it so I'll try that as well. I haven't noticed any split ends at least so I think it's good on that front

>> No.13412803
File: 211 KB, 1570x714, straightly perfect.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13412665
>>13412669
Ok, so again I literally have nothing to add here because it's all so perfect. How long is it? It would be good to see the ends, but mainly, I very much suggest trimming your beard. This is the same thing as hair. Often you just want length at any costs but the problem is you land up with straggly, wispy ends which defeats the purpose. Ironically, your hair (and beard) will look longer, better, and more full if you keep it well trimmed because it'll be full and healthy. As indicated in yet another handy composite I've attached.

Also, you have a 'widows peak' which can be tricky when it comes to a lot of styles, but is an advantage for anything where you want a kind of pronounced parting sweep. Also, your hair is very straight which is another bonus for both growing and keeping healthy. Straight hair grows faster (or it doesn't have to grow double like curly hair), and it's pretty easy to maintain healthwise. I would say that you look so good, that I just wouldn't change anything if I were you. I know a lot of you guys are looking for a change because maybe you're bored, but if it works, my general rule of thumb is don't fuck with it. And yours all works.

IF you really wanted a change, though, then consider as attached:

2. Chopped layers. This is very subtle and needs a salon stylist because they cut in at an angle, but this will give your hair 'body' and fullness. Personally, I don't think you need it.

3. Or you could get really radical and go for a blunt cunt which is basically just chopping a whole lot of length off in a straight line. Again, this is just to put together a composite. I don't personally think you need any of this at all. Everything you've got is about what every guy trying to do beards and hair would try to achieve. Do the bun every now and again, tho' ---> >>13411514

>> No.13412866
File: 211 KB, 922x1111, suggestion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13412693
Ok, excellent. This is really helpful, thank you.

First off, your hair is VERY dry. You need to get conditioner on this, and even better, you can get intensive conditioners which are faggily called 'masques' usually. There are two ways you can go here: either get a tub of coconut butter and leave it in your hair pretty much for an entire day (just slick it through, tie it up) but it's a massive pain to shampoo out, or you get an intensive conditioner and just lather it into your hair every week in addition to using conditioners from now on. So that's step one. You definitely need to condition from now on. It'll not only calm your curl down, it'll also give you that much more feel of length.

Secondly, I agree it doesn't look split but if you haven't cut it for two years, it'll need some kind of trimming regardless. This is also why it can gnarl up, and look so fly-away. You don't necessarily have to have straggly bits, but it'll just look generally unkempt or be hard to control. Given what you've shown me, it looks to me like you've got a mix of different length layers currently.

If this was my hair, I'd try even up between the bottom and the top layers (indicated here in red). This video is a good method. Tie up in front, and lop off about an inch. Everything else just leave and let get longer, but trim it regularly - every six weeks, no later. That way, slowly but surely, the top layers are going to get longer while the bottom layers start to line up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZC5XvAhPkc

Does this make sense? You have great hair, though. Just like mine. With the right conditioning, and keeping it in good shape, it's going to be beautiful.

>> No.13412875

>>13409110
This haircut only works for men who are 6'2, minimum, reasonably jacked, and already extremely handsome.

It makes you look like a high-school metal head/chronic masturbator if you aren't already sexy.

>> No.13412892

>>13412866
thanks a lot anon I'll try that stuff out

>> No.13412903

>>13412892
Any time, man. I'll hover around for the next few days so let me know if you need any other help.

>> No.13413510

How the heck do you dry long, curly hair? I've been putting it in a disposable hairnet for 6+ hours every day for about two years, and I need a better solution.

>> No.13413535

>>13411032
Wew, thats exactly what my hair looked like at that length. Now its down to my nuts and Im getting kind if annoyed that I can't put it up in a way that doesn't come loose during work.

>> No.13413540

>>13409110
are you liam neeson circa 1999