[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 49 KB, 664x443, blue-mens-button-down-shirt-with-plaid-blazer-simple-outfit-idea-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12768220 No.12768220 [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to dress more like an adult. I moved to a new city, gained some new friends, and got a more professional job. I've already got a few great suits but I'm laking in casual or night out clothes.

Can you guys recommend me some brands to look into for:
>Casual button downs
>Blazers
>Oxfords and derbies
>Jeans

I'm on a bit of a budget but I'm willing to save up some. I can't afford things like Allen Edmond shoes though. Thanks.

>> No.12768226

Also, any other advice you guys have on things like boots or other things you can think of would be appreciated.

>> No.12768233

>jeans
>adult

Shiggy diggy. Dress pants or bust.
Its better to buy second hand Allens than new shitshoes.

>> No.12768315

>>12768220
Go to Nordstrom or something and ask one of the people there to help you.

>> No.12768429

Express

>> No.12768446

>>12768220
>Like an adult
What a retarded phrase

>> No.12768595
File: 120 KB, 553x830, 1354565627919.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What job do you have; what's your dress code? That will play a big role in what you'll probably want. If you're required a suit/more formal wear, you'll need all of one pair of jeans for casual wear. The opposite applies as well. J Crew and Brooks are good starting points. Even just to get acquainted with the look it sounds like you're aiming for. You can always (and usually should) buy cheaper or better quality versions of what you see there. Half of my dressier shirts are from Winners, because I now know what to look for in material and cut. Meermin makes reasonably priced shoes. Wait for clearance sales and try places like Nordstrom, The Bay, whatever the states have as an equivalent, and try to get some better quality stuff for less. I have Filippa K, BoO, Gant, Oliver Spencer, and Ted Baker stuff that looks great and didn't cost much. Look into second hand for anything but shoes. Remember that leather, shoulders in tops and the seat area in bottoms are next to impossible to alter, but most everything else can be done.

Also don't force dressier clothing (sport coats, oxfords) if you don't really know what you're doing. It could look awkward at best, hilarious at worst.

>> No.12768600
File: 121 KB, 500x613, 1439995506990.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.12768607
File: 589 KB, 1527x1030, 1468712274511.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.12768621

>>12768607
Nice

>> No.12769003

>>12768220
>great suits
>can't afford allen edmonds

Define what you mean by great suits

>> No.12769575

>>12768220
>I can't afford Allen Edmond shoes
>I can't afford to spend 200 dollars on factory second shoes

Well, anyway, what I would genuinely recommend if you live in a major city is to go visit a Shanghai tailor/custom export-import suit shop. Think Indochino spin offs.

Expect to spend a minimum of 400 dollars per suit, and 80 dollars per shirt for mid-decent tier. 800/130 for upper tier fabric.

You're much better off buying things that are of decent quality and maintaining them.

>> No.12769678

>>12768220
>Casual button downs
Get these from Uniqlo or Muji, or any place like that. Unless you're a bong, in which case the regular shirt shops like Lewin and Tyrwhitt are probably better.

>Blazers
This is extremely hard to give general advice about, without knowing exactly where you are all I can say is that Suit Supply is the standard recommendation for the cheaper range of suits and jackets, and don't ever buy anything that isn't 100% wool unless it's 100% linen instead. When it comes to your suits you should practice hardcore Judaism: no mixing fabrics. Tailored is better than RTW and saving up for fewer pieces of better quality is better than having a wide wardrobe. You'll build it up gradually with good, hard-wearing pieces and eventually it'll be wide after all. If you do get RTW, take it to an alteration tailor to fit it to you properly. When trying on an off-the-rack suit, the most important thing to check for is a good fit over the shoulder; second most important is a good length.

>Oxfords and derbies
If you're on a tight budget, use Meermin, or again, if you're a bong the options are much wider. From low to high in price, some options worth trying are Dugger (duggeroflondon.co.uk, cheap product and free UK shipping), John Rushton's shoe shop on Wimpole Street in London, Loake (1880 range is by far the best regarded) and Tricker's (trickers.co.uk).

As a side note, Allen Edmonds are kinda shit, especially if you're not an Amerilard; their main advantage is their admittedly excellent customer service, much of which is lost if you're not right there in the shop. Being obsessed with AE specifically is a little bit gauche, because it displays your narrow outlook.

>Jeans
Do not wear jeans.