[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 73 KB, 1420x945, 01-leonardo-dicaprio-vape.w710.h473.2x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11930888 No.11930888 [Reply] [Original]

street wear and hip hop are the vape of fashion and music

>> No.11930897

but if leo vapes then i want to street wear

>> No.11930902

>>11930897

>> No.11931065

>>11930888
i dont actually understand the hatred on vaping
isnt it less cancerous than cigarettes
i feel like the only argument ive heard is the "muh no reel mens would vape, cigars and cigs are for reeel man"

>> No.11931258

>>11931065
smokey smokey honey
call me when rolls makes a vape tray and cartier makes a cartridge

>> No.11931390

>>11931065
The opinion on a subject is formed by the culture around it.

>people openly promoting vaping are fedora neckbeards with 0 friends that watch anime, live in their parents basement and say 'hurr smoking cigs is bad'
>vaping is for fedoras

>"DID YOU KNOW THAT IM ALSO A VEGAN?" said every vegan ever, according to the average person, while only woolly and annoying people are this forced.
>vegans are dumb

>racists are rednecks
>racism is bad

Just like people chose to pick up certain habits or dress a certain way in order to fit in a certain culture and make other form an opinion about them, which they can influence.

I don't vape myself, but I have to admit it's stupid if your reason is because it's "a healthier alternative", especially if you've never smoked regular tabacco. Besides that, there are a lot of ongoing studies which suggest that vaping might have other side-effects and is not even that better than smoking regularly, but you'll have to look that up yourself.

>>11930888
define streetwear
define hip-hop

>> No.11931392

>>11930888

Yep that's a correct statement

>> No.11931401

>>11931390
>not even that better than smoking regularly
>but you'll have to look that up yourself

nice

>> No.11931494
File: 434 KB, 1365x1365, photos (9).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11931390
im that guy and i dont actually vape or smoke but
i feel like your argument is flawed in the sense that you shouldnt choose to pick up certain habits or act a certain way to assimilate yourself into a preconceived subculture
that in itself only leads to "is ____ /fa/ threads" and the like, doing something not because you like it but because you feel obligated to do so to conform into this notion of "this is what these kinds of people would do" is literally retarded
consider the analogy "if you were eating a delicious cake and somebody told you it tasted bad, would you stop eating it"
i see where youre coming from but i think its completely alogical

streetwear he most probably defines as western hype culture as a product of celebrity glorification to keep up with the joneses
usually brands like supreme, bape, palace, any brands whoms marketing lies within hype culture and/or exclusivity and recognizability will fall under the umbrella of "streetwear"
pic related

>> No.11931538

>>11931401
>studies suggest
>suggestion; it's not even that better than regular smoking
>look it up yourself if you want more information

I'm not defending or attacking a thesis, just saying that I know these studies exist, because I've read one or two very globally.

>>11931494
I'm not saying that picking up a certain habit or dressing a certain way in order to fit into subculture is either bad or good, I'm just saying that it's something that happens in our society. In the past I caught myself doing something, in the proces of self-reflection, because I convinced myself that I liked it.

I do think that there is a difference in picking up habits and dressing a certain way (which are only two characteristics of a certain culture), in a way that can be devided into concious and unconscious adjustments. I think concious adjustments are always forceful and usually the cause of primitive needs fulfillment: status among peers, recognizable by others etc.
Wearing clothes in order to gain status amongst your peers is a charactereristic of lack of confidence, imo. Most people judge their selfconfidence based on what other people think of them, rather than what they think of themselves.

Unconcious adjustments could be the result of unconciously convincing yourself that you like something. Example: You are convinced you like fashion, but you hate turtlenecks, shearling coats and rick owens (peace be upon him), you visit /fa/ and start to gain forms of respect for people that also say they like fashion. Then you see posts of what turtleneck or shearling coat to buy or why rick is a demigod and you start to adjust your opinion about these subjects, simply because people you respect/like have another opinion about them, regardless of their arguments.

1/2

>> No.11931551

>>11931538
in that sense youre correct (sorry for not letting you finish) but do remember the subject matter is vaping vs smoking, no need for a discourse on artistic subjectivity and taste really

>> No.11931554

>>11931538
>>11931551
its also hard to discern between a shift in opinion due to "personal betterment" or due to environmental conditioning like you described with the /fa/ analogy
to discuss it is to discuss and define what is "genuine"
its a very thin line and frankly im not smart enough to discuss it lmao

>> No.11931574

>>11931390
It definitely feels better for my lungs. No more short breath and my condition is building up again. Also no dirty phlegms.

>> No.11931576

>>11930888
>>11931494
I personally define streetwear as all genres of clothing which aren't "classic" or "regular" by standards of modern society. This is pretty much everything besides classic jeans/chino + thirt + shirt + sweater combinations.

Streetwear in the sense of hypebeastism is a classic example of the lack of self confidence. Most popular streetwear is a regular piece of clothing with prominent branding on it, usually 'edgy' (e.g. bape, supreme, antisocial club) and is worn, like I said earlier, only to gain respect from others to fill the void of insecurity.

I think black people are GENERALLY less intelligent than white people, or at least express their lack of intelligence in the form of wanting status from the general public, like owning an expensive car, having a lot of gold or wearing expensive clothes. The black society has a better connection with each other than with white people, making the fanbase of hiphop and rap mostly black people. They fill their void of insecurity with adapting to their musical idol and dress in the same statushungry way as they do, hoping to gain more respect. Now white kids have fallen for this meme too.

Hiphop isn't really shit tho. Old stuff is mostly a poetic expression of the feelings they experienced in that time, when black were worth nothing. Modern rap is only about money, bitches, etc (material status symbols)
I don't like all of the older rap, but I do dislike 99% of the modern stuff.

tl;dr streetwear = hypebeast, hypebeast =/= streetwear. hiphop = old and new, old had good shit, new is 99% shit. Black people make rap music and are imo generally more prone to primitive needs such as status, even if they are popular rapping. fans of their shit music follow them combining hypebeasts with modern hiphop

2/2

>>11931574
I've never done it, but I might try it whenever I meet someone that vapes.

>> No.11931589

>>11931576
alot of juvenoia in the modern rap comment desu
theres alot of depth in modern rap, obviously most of which fails to hit the mainstream
the only reason why old music and the likes is generally good is because they're gems amongst a sea of garbage and shit that was also around
nobody will remember the shit music, only the good things will be remembered which leads to the fallacy of "oh things were better back then"
i dont feel like its so much black people as their nature rather than it being the culmination of their generally low socioeconomic status leading to the general "showoffy" hypebeasty mannerisms you see
as its become a part of black culture, and as still black people make up the majority of the poor, its ever-prevalent

>> No.11931596
File: 290 KB, 900x583, 1433478593941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11931258
you're so fucking classy man

>> No.11931609

>>11931589
I agree. I forgot to mention that the socioeconomic status of the black community also plays a huge role in showoff status scene.

While it does sound logical that only good music is rememberred, this music was also really popular in those times. I wonder if A$AP Rocky, Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus will be considered "good old music" fourty years from now.

Also, who do you consider good modern rappers?

>> No.11931625

>>11931609
the thing is rap itself back then was avant garde
it had to be good to sell
there were few household names and no domineering market
at the same time its not completely impossible for "popular" artists to make good music
like him or not some of kanyes music is groundbreaking and innovative, technically speaking
i like busdriver, mf doom, dumbfoundead, shing02, itto (sometimes)
im more into asian rap, which really is a testament to the versatility of the genre in that its not only specific to one culture
this might be a glorification, but rap literally stands for "rhythm and poetry", so take that as you will
gotta sleep later dude

>> No.11931989
File: 211 KB, 2002x2002, tmp_23910-1476826195926-1444503732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11931065
the most effay thing is to do whatever the fuck you want and stop caring about the opinions of assmad weebs on a puerto rican shadow puppet forum.

>> No.11932003

>>11931989
I thought we were a mongolion throat singing community