[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 97 KB, 216x370, Johnny.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11818970 No.11818970 [Reply] [Original]

Ok /fa/...

I need some help.

I was looking at old school fashionistas...

And I came across Jean styles and I noticed how everyone today is wearing Low-Rise jeans.

My question is:

Why has Low Rise become popular?

Doesn't regular rise, or even high rise jeans look better?

Here is an example of normal looking jeans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maj_eVNWMtA

What is your opinion?

It would appear to me that low-rise jeans makes men look shorter than they really are.

>> No.11818998

>>11818970
It's a complex thing, but here's what it boils down to:

in the 90s, being happy and healthy was no longer cool, so the fashion, movie and music industry conspired to bring edgy subcultures that were centered around unhealthy lifestyles and pathos to the mainstream. For example, hard drug culture, rivetheads, but also more specific things like obscene parodies of children's culture (like Switchblade Symphony and the Spooky Kids were doing). Fashion-wise this resulted in things like heroin-chic and kinderwhore (for girls specifically) which were quickly diluted into more mainstream trends and associated with stuff like rap culture and the emo scene.

The thing all those aesthetics and styles had in common was that they glamorized a gangly look. And to look gangly, you have to look like your clothes don't fit you. Like they're too small (for example, post-1998 panties are low-cut and very narrow, like a little girl's panties worn by a grown up) or too big (the infamous baggy jeans worn by wiggers and mallgoths), and more generally, you have to look thin and with a long torso. Low-rise pants make you look thinner with a longer torso.

>> No.11819000
File: 37 KB, 632x443, 2cb9c5a126ea4bd9ec8eb16d77a8767c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you're completely right, and ill tell you why

low rise jeans became commonplace in the late 90s mainly because people wanted to show off more of their bodies, whether it be buttcrack, midriff, etc.

at first this was a women's thing but then it spread like cancer to men's fashion, and here we are today

now that the 2000s have come and gone, we're starting to wise up to how shitty they look. i predict by 2020 they'll be fairly rare.

>> No.11819005

>>11818998
>>11819000
this is also true btw

>> No.11819006

I've heard low-rise jeans are actually unhealthy for you vs high-rise. Blood circulation reasons.

I'd imagine this mostly applies to fatties, though.

>> No.11819010

>>11819000
low-rise pants still have their place in fashion though: they're good for people who have a short torso and need to make it appear a bit longer.

>> No.11819011

>>11819010
people say this, but i've never seen it

>> No.11819017

>>11819000
>>11818998
Low-rise jeans became popular because it became almost a cliche to make fun of old people who "wear their pants too high."

Who hasn't seen a TV show make reference to this at some point? This pop-culture phenomenon made everyone morbidly afraid of high-rise jeans. So here we are.

>> No.11819018

>>11819011
Like, you know that ugly chick who plays in GoT or something and they post pics of her grotesque body on /tv/?

She looks a bit less grotesque with low-rise pants.

I'm kinda like her (less extreme fortunately and also a dude so it's less atrocious) so I have the same issue. I kinda look like a dwarf with elongated limbs if I wear high-rise pants.

>> No.11819021

>>11819000
>>11818998

Ok, these things make perfect sense.

The only thing is that if a guy wears regular style jeans today, they are considered homosexual or gay.

I don't honestly know why that is.

Is it really a shame to have jeans that ACTUALLY fit your body type?

You may be right, low-rise jeans may be on the way out.

>> No.11819023

>>11819017
I think that cliché was engineered specifically to make low-rise jeans popular, not the other way around.
But who knows?

I think the reason trends end isn't because people get tired of them or because they spot new things being worn by pretty people, but because they see ugly people wear trendy clothes wrong and are afraid of being associated with them.

>> No.11819028

>>11819023
>I think the reason trends end isn't because people get tired of them or because they spot new things being worn by pretty people, but because they see ugly people wear trendy clothes wrong and are afraid of being associated with them.
shit that actually makes a lot of sense

>> No.11819029

>>11819023
The other part is how many pairs of low-rise jeans can I sell you until you are both bored of them and can't justify buying yet another pair?
Now I switch it up on you and make it high-rise again and you don't own any of those so you'll start buying my products again.

>> No.11819030

>>11819010
This is exactly why I wear them. I have rather mild scoliosis and as a result my torso is proportionally shorter than those of other men my height. This is why low rise tucking doesn't look fucked on me, also I'm skellington so I tend to go for skinny fits anyway.

>> No.11819031

>>11819028
I know right?
It's the same shit with music. People are less likely to lash out against posers than to apply a scorched-earth strategy to their own culture by slandering it and turning to something else instead.
It's something you must avoid. Like who gives a shit if your perfect fit has been "co-opted" by fatties?

>> No.11819032

>>11819029
Well it's not like mid/high rise shouldn't be the norm.

And I won't buy high-waist anyway, as I said I have a short torso so it can't look good on me.

>> No.11819036

>>11819032
I mean a hypothetical person. I don't care what you buy.