[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 383 KB, 800x1200, Anna_Selezneva_lonelemons_fall_2013-10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10602634 No.10602634 [Reply] [Original]

Retail job advice thread?

I just got a call from Hugo Boss asking about my availabilities and what I knew about them.

I literally just blurted: "i've always loved menswear and have been into suits and brands such as zara, polo ralph lauren, rick owens and raf simons (not a brand focused guy, I basically wear anything that I can put a good fit with, such as women's blazers).

They said they'd call me if they wanted me and give me an email telling me I failed if they didn't want me.

If I get an interview with them how should I dress? What should I say? I know nothing about hugo boss. Help a guy pay rent and ascend from holiday NEETdom famille.

Also anna is best girl

>> No.10602644

>>10602634
Walk in the store early, buy some clothes and change into them at the store for your interview

>> No.10602650
File: 207 KB, 619x800, 1364502727316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

give up.

the fact that you wear women's blazers and are applying to work at men's suiting is already game over

>> No.10602662

>>10602650
It was only once, to give an example to you guys that I'd wear anything that caught my eye.

I wear men's suits a lot for my current real estate job. Customers have told me that they found me very well presented and handsome.

Now can I get some proper advice?

>> No.10602680

>>10602634
tell them nazi uniforms were the goat

no seriously all i can tell you is boss has 4 brands

Hugo Boss / Boss Black - traditional, mature
Boss Green - sporty, golf and tennis focused
Boss Orange - casual, most mainstream
Hugo - fashion forward, high fashion

all the items are mostly in the same price range across the brands, theres no tier system like with armani.

all the brands except boss green produce suits for example its the cuts and details that set them apart

>> No.10602689

>>10602644
I'm planning to go in with a side parted pompadour, and my black or navy suit with a white chambray shirt. I'll probably wear my tagheuer too along with my black chelsea boots.

Only problem is the suits are a bit oversized since someone else got them for me (even though my measurements were taken). Mum always likes to think I'm some size 35 6 foot tall guy while I'm a size 31 5'10 guy.

>>10602680
So going in a full suit is fine?

>> No.10602701

>>10602634
You mean literally just retail?

Show up decently dressed; basic conservative suit/business casual at worst.

Have a paper copy of your resume and anything relevant to you. Go google what the fuck Hugo Boss does.

There. You're now better off than 80% of Applicants.

Welcome to retail, all you have to do now is not be a fuck up.

>> No.10602707

>>10602701
Thank you friend. The position I applied for is a 'seasonal team member' so I believe it's what we call Christmas casuals here in Australia.

Yeah I'll show up in a full suit like always. I just hope I didn't fuck up by telling them I didn't know much about hugo boss over the phone.

What kind of things should I say when they ask me about the brand and about fashion?

>> No.10602710

>>10602707
They won't, really. Have you worked retail before?

>> No.10602722

>>10602710
Yes but it was in one of those shops that sold facial masks and other beauty products from Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea.

I spoke with the clients, did restocking, selling and even provided security. They paid me almost half of what was minimum wage in Australia. Most of the clients were young Asian women/girls.

I think I got fired for looking in the mirror too much.

>> No.10602728

>>10602710
Most of my background is in sales and marketing. I'm comfortable with speaking to people and selling a product. The only thing I'm worried about is that they won't hire me if I don't know much (anything) about the fashion industry or brand.

>> No.10602758

>>10602722
Typically what you're going to be asked is

1. WHAT IS YOUR AVAILABILITY? This will pretty much instantly determine whether or not they'll hire you. They will need you hardcore for the month of December; January you'll pretty much be let go since business won't really pick up until March.

2. DO YOU HAVE SALES/MONEY HANDLING EXPERIENCE? If they're looking for floor hands, they'll pretty much ask if you feel comfortable dealing with people and if you can sell quickly and not get overwhelmed by volume. Money handling is always a strong plus since 80% of your time in the holidays will be at checkout if you're not floor.

3. They might not ask this directly, but whether or not you have a criminal record. Typically if they ask you to open or close shop, they'll want you to have a spotless record for theft. But this will pretty much show up in a background check.

OTHER THINGS THEY WILL PROBABLY ASK

1. What do you know about Hugo Boss?
2. Do you think you can sell/learn quickly?
3. Have you ever had a situation where you dealt with problem customer's before?
4. Do you have any questions?

Besides this, just show up well groomed, be cordial and well mannered. Keep in mind, this is not a corporate or a management position; they need available people on the floor. If they offer commission be prepared to make good money and immediately be fired.

For instance, I used to work for Clarks full time, and Mr of Sweden part time for the holidays. With both I'd make a 5-10% commission, but that also meant I could sell around 500 dollars an hour worth of goods and make comfortably 30-50 dollars an hour.

>> No.10602760
File: 64 KB, 402x552, butler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just imagine ur this guy and youll be just fine

>> No.10602761

>>10602728
Mate, you're thinking above your pay grade. They're not asking you to write the book on their product. They're going to ask whether or not you can read the summary and deal with snobby assholes.

>> No.10602785

>>10602758
1. Yeah I'm pretty much willing to go hardcore and told them I'm only unavailable on Mondays for a few hours in the afternoon and on November 21 because there's a fashion event I could model for or shoot for.

2. I've sold everything from property to facial masks to health products.

3. Nah son.

Other things they might ask:

1. I just found out 91% of their shares are free float and they mainly deal in menswear; typically in formal suits. There's also one with more bohemian influences and a high fashion brand.

2. Yeah

3. All the time senpai (customers in real estate either taking too long to decide or not being able to come up with the money)

4. Hire me f a m?

>>10602760
That's me normally at work. So this should be pretty easy thanks.

>>10602761
Ok cool. I'm used to snobby people, since I am one. They are pretty transparent and vulnerable.

>> No.10602808

>>10602785
Assuming you gave me a copy of your resume, didn't do anything extremely uncomfortable, and seemed somewhat thoughtful, I'd probably give you a job. Oh, and try to be somewhat memorable. A lot of people apply to these jobs coming back from Uni, and if you have a lot of generic shit, they might forget who you are.

As for your response to "WHAT DOES HUGO BOSS DO?"

Keep it simple. Think of it like this, I work 40 hours a week selling suits and shit. You don't need to dick suck the company, try to say as simply as possible.. like if I were you I'd be like

>Hugo Boss is a pretty well established brand of high end clothing based out of Germany that is famous for its suiting

You know, common sense bullshit you could explain to someone on the floor who knows jackshit. They're probably going to busy, and you're probably going to talk to a manager. The interview probably won't last longer than 15-20 minutes.

As for questions to ask

>What do you think the most important traits you need for someone in this job?

Or something like that tends to work. It's you asking what I need to do for the job without asking directly.

>> No.10602810

say Nazi stuff and suck the persons dick or clit

>> No.10602811

>>10602810
If everything else fails.

>> No.10602824

>>10602808
thanks, this helps me a lot, do you think I fucked up with saying what I said to them in the OP?

Strangely enough /fa/ seems to be giving better advice now.

>> No.10602832

>>10602824
No, I don't honestly think they'll remember.

When I used to be a manager, I would take a person's resume, and write small notes on who the fuck they are.

>> No.10602835

>>10602832
cool cool, what do you work in now? What would it take to ascend to manager?

>> No.10602987

>>10602835
I'm a grad student working for L'Oreal marketing in Scandinavia.

To be a manager, you need

1. Have an opening
2. Have enough experience to be on the radar
3. Not piss everyone off above you/be efficient at your job.

Really, that's it. Retail is it's own sort of monster.