[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 140 KB, 600x900, wallstreetvladimir0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10121696 No.10121696 [Reply] [Original]

(I read the sticky, and I didn't find anything particular/helpful for my question, so I'm making a thread.)

I got a job on Wall St. in NYC recently, and I only have 1 suit (Navy Blue) a few shirts and ties, and brown and black shoes (they're both Rockport, so they're comfortable, but not particularly /fa/).

Is there a specific style I should be shooting for? How many shirt/tie combos should I have? I'm a mess and I need help

>> No.10121698

>>10121696
can u get me an interview?

>> No.10121701
File: 12 KB, 400x300, Patrick Bateman hair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10121696
DO THE PATRICK BATEMAN.

WATCH AMERICAN PSYCHO.

>> No.10121706

I'm not in that line of work but this article has good advice
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-dress-the-part-on-wall-street-2013-8

>> No.10121708

>>10121696
1) There is no specific style, other than dressing in good, reasonably modern suits. Despite the stereotypes, most bankers on Wall Street fucking suck at dressing. I blame the quants.

2) You need at LEAST 3 suits (I'd buy one in light gray, another in charcoal, keep the navy) and then at least 7 shirts (you need to be able to go a full week of work without hitting up the dry cleaners). Just hit up thetiebar for decent-ish ties. EVERYTHING. MUST. BE. TAILORED. TO. FIT. YOU. - NO EXCEPTIONS.

I fucking hate Rockport shoes but they should suffice until you can buy new ones. When you do, get something decent but beat-able, like something from Cole Haan or Johnston & Murphy. Don't invest in Allen Edmonds or anything better until you build up the rest of your wardrobe.

>> No.10121726

>>10121706
That article is so goddamn stupid it needs a fucking helmet to protect itself.

>Prada dress shoes
Lol, no.

>Pocket squares are bad
Lol, no

>Skip the dimple in the tie
Lol, no.

>No brogues or wing tips
lol, no

This is the kinda shit written by idiot Wharton students who invariably end up crashing and burning when they realize none of this shit matters in comparison to MAKING FUCKING MONEY.

>> No.10121729

>>10121696
Brooks Brothers Red Fleece or Made in USA Milano fit. One Charcoal one navy, slim fit.

Two pressed white shirts
One white with light pinstriping shirt
One blue shirt
FUCK SPREAD COLLARS you will look like a douche

Stick to slim neckties in shades of blue, repp ties also work.

Shoes:

Allen Edmonds or even higher, one black and one brown in captoe oxford style

Get some belts to match the color and leather type of your shoe.

Socks match the color of your suit trousers.

Don't underestimate a nice man bag to carry your shit in, it will set the right impression.

White neatly folded pocket square, simple and understated.

A decent watch.

That's all you need right now, seems like a comprehensive list but it's not really that much.

GET YOUR SHIT TAILORED, NO MATTER IF ITS CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE!

>> No.10121739

>>10121708
I would honestly have never though to take a dress shirt to be tailored. That might sounds dumb, but that never even occurred to me.

Now I feel like a child asking, but what do I say to my tailor; make this fit on me?

>> No.10121750

>>10121739
Shoulder stitching needs to be lined up with your shoulders
If that happens the sleeves need to be altered
No off-the-rack shirt will fit perfectly
That's why good department stores alter shirts before you leave the store

>> No.10121751

>>10121739
Hey, don't worry about it. Yep. Your tailor should be able to readily determine what needs to be fixed and will fix it for you. You don't need to get specific about it.

Really, there are two rules: keep the purchases simple (the advice above should be good) and just bring everything to a tailor. If you do those two things, you will be WAY ahead of the pack, even if you aren't exactly comfortable with the subject matter.

>> No.10121754

What do you mean on wall st? You mean your going to be on floor? None of the big firms are actually on wall st.

>> No.10121755
File: 135 KB, 350x245, Patrick Bateman Oliver Peoples Glasses.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Valentino suits and Olivers People Glasses

>> No.10121761

>>10121739
Essentially. In order to make it easier on your wallet and your tailor your gonna wanna get as good of a fit as you can. The absolute key is the shoulders, that is the one thing the tailor can't change

>> No.10122029

On the topic of tailoring, the shoulder needs to fit before going to the tailor. Anything you buy off the rack needs to fit your shoulders well and should be roughly the right length. Chests/waists/arms can be taken in, and sleeves can be brought up slightly, but it's not worth playing with the shoulder seams.

For pants, they can be brought up quite a lot but can't go down by much. Buy pants that fit fairly well, but pretty much every part of the pants can be tweaked relatively cheaply.

>> No.10122617

Hey guys thanks for all the help so far; I really appreciate it.

I guess my final question is about suits and price. Grey and charcoal sound like good choices. My blue suit is a slim fit bar iii from Macy's (which I'm guessing is shit by fa standards, but I've been told it's nice)

Should I go cheap for starter suits, or just invest now on nice ones? If so, where's a good brand name and place in the city to get some?

>> No.10123013
File: 637 KB, 2875x2106, 1364749663080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10121696
Check out personal stylist services such as Savile Row Society

>> No.10123036

>>10122617
Dude there's no reason to invest in an expensive suit
Pretty much a Brooks Brothers navy two button suit will be fine
Anybody wearing anything gaudy is just trying to show off his newmoney status
The only suits worth paying top dollar for are Savile Row tailored suits

>> No.10123541

I just got hired on with an investment bank in my city and I'm just as clueless as OP on what the fuck to do

>> No.10123589

OP, if you do live in New York, check out Suitsupply. They have a store on Madison Avenue and a store in Soho. They've got great suits for about $600.

>> No.10123670

>>10123541
wear brooks brothers suits, always dress nice
shoot for preppy

>> No.10123773

Take a look at Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren (suits), and other brands Patrick Bateman would wear.

>> No.10124041

>>10121726

To be fair, this is written by a supertrad conservative faggot so it makes a lot of sense if you think about it that way

>> No.10124073

>>10121755
valentino everything all day everyday

>> No.10125269

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/new-to-formal-fashion-start-here-pt1

Here is a thread about what you need to know about Wallstreet fashion.

Also , w2c job on wallstreet? Would like to work in ECM.

>> No.10125685

>>10121761
Shoulders can be altered! It's just very tricky so you would need to pay a lot for that area.
Keep in mind the material. I don't know how we'll circulated the air is on the floor but a polyester blouse doesn't keep wrinkles but requires the sacrifice of heat trapped. Cotton, everyone loves, breathes but wrinkles like a monster. Maybe look into blends.

>> No.10125724

you need atleast 4 suits so you can have one in hand if the others are cleaned
buy a trench coat while you'are at it.there are evil out there just biding the time to dirty your suit
have a black and brown dress shoe

>> No.10125872

>>10121696

If you are aware of whether you are high, mid or low contrast individual it will make it easier in picking outfits. Try echo the difference in contrast between your hair and skin. If it is great (black hair light skin) then you'll suit dark and very light shirt/suit/tie combinations. If its mid youll look better in lower contrast outfits. Colours are different for everyone but always remember to complement your natural features.

Goal for suits:

Navy

French blue

Mid Grey

Charcoal

Lighter grey

Dinner suit aka tux

Shirts:

like 6-10 white shirts to keep them white as long as possible

a shit tone of beautiful light blue-mid blue shirts

maybe a soft off white grey or something for wearing with a blue.

Opt for plain shirts with interesting textures at various weights for the season.

Basically your look should be minimal with tiny details that make it perfect. The fit is the most important thing. get one made to measure to start and find a bespoke outfitter if you can afford it later

get a black toe cap, and an oxford brogue.

Chocolate brown and some mid brown shoes.

your suits should be half or fully canvassed. Get some flannels and winter weight suits for winter and lighter merino wool for summer. Tropical weaves are easy to wear in the heat

your tie and or pocket square should be the only statement in your outfit if you make one. Keep things subtle

you'll need a nice umbrella. a trench coat for wet days. a heavy pea coat for cold days and a mid weight car coat for cool days

belts to match

just do single cuff shirts.

>> No.10126044

Just buy from suitsupply and brooksbrothers.

Solved.