[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.41 MB, 2048x1152, 1454463067196.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
951733 No.951733 [Reply] [Original]

My hustlenomic progress has brought me to trying to build and sell cat furniture, like cat trees, cat patios....cat condos, all that. My main problem now is that I'm totally broke and I need to find some free, or next to free carpet.

I went a couple local carpet places but all I got was that they put it in a warehouse somewhere and don't throw it out or part with it on the super cheap. How do I go about acquiring free carpet?. While I'm at it, how about free twine?

>> No.951936

Craigslist?

>> No.951939

Hustle your ass to a real job.

>> No.951952

>>951733

Try the dumpster behind a carpet store...thats where all the old shit gets tossed out by the installers...

>> No.951953

>>951733
There is a reason cat furniture is expensive to buy at the store.
The twine is ungodly expensive, carpet has to be brand new cutoffs or you can hurt the cat and/or the cat is going to start pissing on and around it.

There is also a reason you dont see them being sold as used.
You initial startup is going to be cost prohibitive, and its not something you are going to be selling a ton of.

>> No.951976

>>951733
if you don't give a shit, post on craigslist for carpet that's getting replaced, and cut squares from the nicer sections.
You can get carpet at a discount if you get a special order amount that was already cut but not picked up, but not even close to free. like half off maybe.

>> No.952046

>>951953
twine is extremely cheap, i can't even imagine why you'd lie about that. over 100 yards of twine is $5

Also, I absolutely hate cats. I don't care if the shit causes the cat to spontaneously combust and destroy the home and its occupants. I hate cats so goddamn much. Free wood is easy, twine is buyable, and I don't believe your bs about used carpets. Hit it with a rug doctor, salt it with a solution of catnip and voila.

>> No.952047

>>951952
tried that, carpet is so goddamn pricey they take those sections to a warehouse somewhere and stash them....well, presumably forever.

>> No.952054

>>952047
...try a different carpet store. Or ask them for samples and piece them together into something usable. Or go somewhere they're doing renovations and collect their scraps. C'mon, dude, 'it didn't work because x' is not a valid reason for your failure. Try harder, nothing is impossible if you apply yourself.

>> No.952147

>>952047
Holy shit op you can get carpet for less than a buck per sqft at home depot. Your cat doesn't need top of the line carpet. If you can't afford that you should probably give your cat away tbqh family.

>> No.952154

First off OP, it's a dead end. You're going to make shit for money.

You have to compete with mass produced PetCo shit, which you can't do on a price level, and with fancy handcrafted stuff on the other end. which you can't do because of materials and skill.

If you can't source carpet for cheap, you suck at life. You can buy the cheap shit from Home Depot that every slumlord puts into their rentals for $0.65/sq ft.

>>952046
If you want to do a rope wrapped cat tower, you need to buy a suitable rope. Cheap poly twin won't work, and you'll never sell one. The traditional material is sisal rope and Home Depot sells it for $8.81 for a 50 ft roll.

You say you don't care about the cat or the person's property who buys it. You will care very much when you get a $20,000 lawsuit filed against you for the emotional damage and vet bills due to your shitty construction.

Basically your idea is a shit one, and you're a child.

>> No.952177

>>951733
Those are bars not cats.

>> No.952736
File: 735 KB, 1803x1014, sisalscratcherpost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952046
people like you do not belong on the internet.

sisal rope is not cheap, and this little tower i made took 10 bucks worth.

anyway, being broke sucks, find something to do with free shit you can gather.

>> No.954514

You want 16 oz level loop commercial carpet, OP.

It's like $3.50 per sq/yd, our cost, so I would imagine a big store like home shitpot could sell it for around that. Also, instead of using wood for the posts on smaller towers and scratchers, you could use the tubes that carpets are wrapped around and some scrap blocks to bail or staple them to in order to attach them to the bases.

Source: I own a carpet store.

>> No.955839

>>951733
>Cat Furniture
How many cats does it take to make a nice chair?